• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] new to the Evo3D, noob questions

Search This thread

fady.k

Nov 1, 2011
Los Angeles
im new to the world of android and i have a few noob questions that i was looking to get some help with. any help will be greatly appreciated.

1. how do i get custom ringtones for text messages? i can set the ringers for contacts and incoming calls but is there a way to change them for texts?

2. is there any way that i can use google voice on my phone without having to port over my sprint line. i just want to add a second line to my current phone. or does anyone know of a free voice over ip app.

thanks in advance for all help.

Nigeria2u

Jun 3, 2010
To get custom ringtones for text messages, go into your text messaging app, menu, settings, notifications, then notification sound. From there you can change it. If you use an app such as ringdroid, you can create your own ringtones and they will appear in the notification sound menu when you copy the file from /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones to /system/media/audio/notifications, using root explorer, etc., then reboot.

Also, you have to be rooted to access the system files using root explorer.

Last edited:

fady.k

Nov 1, 2011
Los Angeles
if you go into the notification setting that way it one gives me the choices from the ringtones that came with the phone. how do i assign rings that i download as i did for incoming calls without rooting my phone.

Last edited: