[Q] Nexus 4 Download Mode?

Search This thread

Jbele

Jun 11, 2012
Hello, i was trying to charge my nexus 4 couse it wouldn't turn on but after an hour it still didn't turn on.
So after trying a liitle wile to turn it on i held all three buttons (power, volume up & down) and now it says "Download Mode".

IMAG0036.jpg

Reactions: Gigadroid

efrant

Senior Moderator / Developers Relations
Staff member
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
It's LG's version of Samsung's Odin mode. However, there isn't a leak of the utility yet.

There is a long tutorial on how to use it in the Nexus 4 service manual floating around.

Basically it's worthless for us until that utility leaks.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that "Download mode" interfaces with LGNPST. From my understanding, it's not publicly available, but...

Anyway, this is an interesting thread.

Reactions: chrone and El Daddy

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that "Download mode" interfaces with LGNPST. From my understanding, it's not publicly available, but...

Interesting indeed. So it looks like I'm wrong. Most of that stuff is way over my head though. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

309041291a

Dec 29, 2011
When I first rooted I flashed a bad recovery that deleted all my stuff and got into DL mode 3 times, I panicked. Somehow I managed to get back into boot loader and after that flashed stock boot.IMG and re-rooted...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

psak

Oct 13, 2010
When I first rooted I flashed a bad recovery that deleted all my stuff and got into DL mode 3 times, I panicked. Somehow I managed to get back into boot loader and after that flashed stock boot.IMG and re-rooted...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
i'm in the same situation and appropriate anybody's help to get me back into the right track.

crmd37

May 25, 2013
So what happened with this? Mine just did the same while doing the rooting of my phone. I've been using MSKIP's tutorial amongst other youtube videos showing his option in depth. No idea what happened but now I'm stuck in this "brick" or "soft brick" mode like you guys were saying earlier. What is the solution? I don't see any other pages in this thread and I'm a total noob with this stuff.

**Edit**
Fixed mine, was waiting for a while like it said but I finally powered it one, did a factory reset, and re-did everything else that comes with the 1 CLICK FOR ALL button on mskip's toolkit. Everything is perfect now and I hacked it, whoo hoo!

Last edited:

shengovind

Jul 2, 2013
Bangalore
easy fix... working..

Hello, i was trying to charge my nexus 4 couse it wouldn't turn on but after an hour it still didn't turn on.
So after trying a liitle wile to turn it on i held all three buttons (power, volume up & down) and now it says "Download Mode".

IMAG0036.jpg

this same problem happened to me today.. don't worry there is a fix...

1.Get into bootloader ( Press all three buttons at same time)
2.flash google factory image from fastboot. get factory images from here... https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images ..
3.If you dont know how to flash use mskip's toolkit for nexus 4 and flash it... (best for new users like me) get mskip's toolkit from here... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1995688

ALL THANKS TO MSKIP'S TOOLKIT

if you have queries or want detailed information comment below

NICE FEELING WHEN YOU SEE DOWNLOAD MODE... WORTH EXPERIENCING THE MINI HEART ATTACK..

DON'T WORRY ITS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO BRICK NEXUS 4..

:good::good::good: ALL THE BEST:good::good::good:

HOPE THIS WORKS

Reactions: Illugami and Monfil

havlaz

Aug 10, 2010

2.flash google factory image from fastboot. get factory images from here... https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images ..
3.If you dont know how to flash use mskip's toolkit for nexus 4 and flash it... (best for new users like me) get mskip's toolkit from here... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1995688

NICE FEELING WHEN YOU SEE DOWNLOAD MODE... WORTH EXPERIENCING THE MINI HEART ATTACK..

HOPE THIS WORKS

it happened to me now, when the battery was dead. when i connect the phone to a wall charger i got the download mode massage ,
when i'm pressing all 3 buttons the phone makes a vibe (like a boot vibe) and the the red light is flashing on/off
no bootloader.
what to do?

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
it happened to me now, when the battery was dead. when i connect the phone to a wall charger i got the download mode massage ,
when i'm pressing all 3 buttons the phone makes a vibe (like a boot vibe) and the the red light is flashing on/off
no bootloader.
what to do?

You should try to get into the fastboot mode first, when the phone is off, Hold Power + Volume Download button. If you can get in the fastboot menu, then use instruction above to reflash your device.

If you can't, you might be able to recover your phone using Download Mode: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2347060

shengovind

Jul 2, 2013
Bangalore
no bootloader.
what to do?

Red light due to battery low..
All you have to do is charge the phone for about six hours on the wall charger..
Then try booting your phone ..

If there's only bootloader and phone isn't booting flash factory from fastboot..

Plug it to wall charger over night.. Then try to get to download mode..

Try this to get out of red light only if there is absolutely no other way..: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2250454

If there is no boot loader whatsoever even after trying for a hell lot of time, only download mode, then do this..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2347060

sent from my Prevert nexus

ripped.animal

Dec 1, 2012
Having the same problem. I was on purity rom(4.4.3), with default purity kernel. I flashed the Ak poseidon kernel, with Ukm. It booted fine , was on phone for about 4 minutes, and then I ran antutu benchmark. Before that I didn’t change anything via synapse app. Then when I ran test on antutu phone went off. Non of the buttons were responding. I plugged the phone into wall charger and pressed all 3 buttons. Then the download mode appeared. Left it like that on the charger , went to sleep. When I woke up the phone was turned off. Today I was flashing factory img ( 4.4.3. occam). Following the instructions http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/general/how-to-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2010312 [/URL]. Everything went ok no problem in the cmd , only the thing was , when I had to fastboot the booth loader, then the phone stuck in power on loop . ( reboots, then it says google, and reboots again) I was able to stop this by holding volume down, then it goes into bootloader. Finished flashing factory img, like it says on the tut. And the same thing happens. The phone won’t boot, And it is not responding when it is unplugged. Please help :/

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Red light due to battery low..
All you have to do is charge the phone for about six hours on the wall charger..
Then try booting your phone ..

If there's only bootloader and phone isn't booting flash factory from fastboot..

Plug it to wall charger over night.. Then try to get to download mode..

Try this to get out of red light only if there is absolutely no other way..: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2250454

If there is no boot loader whatsoever even after trying for a hell lot of time, only download mode, then do this..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2347060

sent from my Prevert nexus

I will try to reconnect the battery now, maby that will help----

ripped.animal

Dec 1, 2012
Fixed it !

Having the same problem. I was on purity rom(4.4.3), with default purity kernel. I flashed the Ak poseidon kernel, with Ukm. It booted fine , was on phone for about 4 minutes, and then I ran antutu benchmark. Before that I didn’t change anything via synapse app. Then when I ran test on antutu phone went off. Non of the buttons were responding. I plugged the phone into wall charger and pressed all 3 buttons. Then the download mode appeared. Left it like that on the charger , went to sleep. When I woke up the phone was turned off. Today I was flashing factory img ( 4.4.3. occam). Following the instructions http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/general/how-to-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2010312 [/URL]. Everything went ok no problem in the cmd , only the thing was , when I had to fastboot the booth loader, then the phone stuck in power on loop . ( reboots, then it says google, and reboots again) I was able to stop this by holding volume down, then it goes into bootloader. Finished flashing factory img, like it says on the tut. And the same thing happens. The phone won’t boot, And it is not responding when it is unplugged. Please help :/

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

I will try to reconnect the battery now, maby that will help----

After reconnecting the battery, I managed to boot the device. But i got gazzlion errors, non of the apps were responding. I got the msg to delete the partion or my device will not function properly. Since I have already flashed the factory img I booted to stock recovery. And deleted all user data , (factory reset). Then the device booted normally. I have lost my recovery img but what the hell I don’t care now :D Flashed the CMW touch, and super user. Now everything works fine

peews

Aug 14, 2014
Fix - Volume Up + Power

I had the same problem this morning and found an easier fix on Google product forums.

Push Volume Up + Power button until it works. Worked for me :)

<not able to paste link as I'm still a n00b user and this is among my first ten posts here. Ok, this is my FIRST post here>

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's LG's version of Samsung's Odin mode. However, there isn't a leak of the utility yet.

There is a long tutorial on how to use it in the Nexus 4 service manual floating around.

easy fix... working..

IMAG0036.jpg

HOPE THIS WORKS

IMAG0036.jpg
    When you are in download mode, press and hold Vol Down and Power, that should bring up fastboot mode, which you can use to flash another recovery...

Try Pressing power button alone for 10 sec or so...
    Should do the trick
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone