[Q] Nexus 5 Touch Lag 200ms?

Search This thread

iDesire hTC

Oct 28, 2010
Tokyo
I've been using my Galaxy Nexus for the last two years. I have never really noticed any kind of "touch lag" during this time.

I just purchased a Nexus 5, rooted, installed TWRP 2.6.3.4 and also flashed the Dec.12 2013 version of Cataclysm

I recently noticed after about 2 days of use that:
Typing in general is normal, the keyboard reacts to my touch instantaneously
Games, or any other usage of the touchscreen seems to have about a 200ms touch lag. Whereas the Galaxy Nexus never had this issue.
Asphalt 8 is not playable due to this, the calculator app lags like crazy, or even just hitting the menu button.

Note: I noticed asphalt 8 was not playable before I did any rooting or flashing - however at that time I couldn't figure out the reason.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I found that increasing the pointer speed may have helped a little. I disabled the vibration and sound on touch as well, that may have helped, but it still feels slow in calculator...

edit: Ok maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. It may not be 200ms but more like more like 70ms

edit2: video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHM_Rg3hg9k&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
I've been using my Galaxy Nexus for the last two years. I have never really noticed any kind of "touch lag" during this time.

I just purchased a Nexus 5, rooted, installed TWRP 2.6.3.4 and also flashed the Dec.12 2013 version of Cataclysm

I recently noticed after about 2 days of use that:
Typing in general is normal, the keyboard reacts to my touch instantaneously
Games, or any other usage of the touchscreen seems to have about a 200ms touch lag. Whereas the Galaxy Nexus never had this issue.
Asphalt 8 is not playable due to this, the calculator app lags like crazy, or even just hitting the menu button.

Note: I noticed asphalt 8 was not playable before I did any rooting or flashing - however at that time I couldn't figure out the reason.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

edit: Ok maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. It may not be 200ms but more like more like 70ms

are you that a picky person and that you can FEEL 70 MILLISECONDS
i notice this too but after awhile of NOT comparing it i got used to it

iDesire hTC

Oct 28, 2010
Tokyo
are you that a picky person and that you can FEEL 70 MILLISECONDS
i notice this too but after awhile of NOT comparing it i got used to it

I'm just guessing roundabout, really. It's not like I timed it or anything.
I thought it was frustrating because I couldn't play even play CopyCat (the game where you copy the colors it beeps) without holding each color for a half second before continuing to the next due to the lag.

I found that increasing the pointer speed may have helped a little. I disabled the vibration and sound on touch as well, that may have helped, but it still feels slow in calculator...

do you have any tips for improving it?

edit: I guess the reason I'm complaining is because the lag is near zero when typing on the keyboard. How is it that there is no lag when using the keyboard, but then the lag is present elsewhere?

Last edited:

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
I thought it was frustrating because I couldn't play even play CopyCat (the game where you copy the colors it beeps) without holding each color for a half second before continuing to the next due to the lag.

Downloaded the copycat game looks like im not getting that lag you're getting
im 100% stock by the way might be your rom

Reactions: iDesire hTC

iDesire hTC

Oct 28, 2010
Tokyo

Ok, so I went ahead and did a nandroid restore. I'm still getting the same thing.
Comparing the older Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 5 on the same Copycat app, just a quick tap on each color using the Galaxy Nexus is enough to see a color illuminate and make the sound. On the Nexus 5, a quick tap renders no illumination or sound, though the game does see it as being pressed.

Yet on both devices, the keyboard response seems to be equal.

skw5115

Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Ok, so I went ahead and did a nandroid restore. I'm still getting the same thing.
Comparing the older Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 5 on the same Copycat app, just a quick tap on each color using the Galaxy Nexus is enough to see a color illuminate and make the sound. On the Nexus 5, a quick tap renders no illumination or sound, though the game does see it as being pressed.

Yet on both devices, the keyboard response seems to be equal.

I also just installed the game to test it and I have zero lag ... Quick taps register fine for me

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013

iDesire hTC

Oct 28, 2010
Tokyo
Interesting what I'm more interested in seeing is the calculator app lagging as that is a system app

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Or some footage on that asphalt 8

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sure

In this video I displayed the similar text input reaction speeds, and the very different calculator input reaction speeds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dui27O0Ycc&feature=youtu.be

I wonder if this has something to do with the triple tap zoom gesture...?

edit: Solved. The problem was "Magnification Gestures"
The system was trying to wait for a triple tap each time I touched the screen? Not really sure how that all works but... everything is working fine now.

Settings>Accessibility>Magnification gestures>Off
fixed it all.

Whew. I was so worried! Thanks for keeping up with me Mark

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.