[Q] Nexus 7 Can't Unlock Bootloader, Bricked with No ADB Access

Search This thread

Ricey_uk

Jan 23, 2010
Hi Ged,

The only reason I want to unlock is to reflash the OS. It doesn't boot.

All I can get is stock recovery or a Google logo ;)

Is there a way to flash the OS with the bootloader locked?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Hi Ged,

The only reason I want to unlock is to reflash the OS. It doesn't boot.

All I can get is stock recovery or a Google logo ;)

Is there a way to flash the OS with the bootloader locked?

Cheers

No. I don't think so... you're going to run into the same problem every time.

Without an unlocked bootloader, fastboot is never going to work:(. And fastboot is the only way of flashing back to stock.

Flashing back to stock, involves running a script called flash-all.

Here is the flash-all script from JellyBean 4.3... (and they're all pretty much the same, regardless of version)...

PATH=%PATH%;"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
ping -n 10 127.0.0.1 >nul
fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jwr66v.zip

echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul
exit

As you can see, the first thing it does is unlock the bootloader.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Reactions: silversulphur

Ricey_uk

Jan 23, 2010
Yeah I looked at those scripts and they all do an unlock :(

I can't think of anything else to try.

Guess it's jiggered!

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
I know! I'm stuck in a loop!

I don't know the exact Android version, but it's fairly new and the owner hasn't updated it as far as I know.
Apart from that, completely stock and unrooted!

The last thing to happen was that it was left for a while to go flat (battery) then when re-started it got stuck at the Google logo and no further.

All I can get apart from the Google logo is the recovery with the andoid on his back with his tummy open ;)

cheers

Yeah I looked at those scripts and they all do an unlock :(

I can't think of anything else to try.

Guess it's jiggered!

Yeah... I think your probably right... unfortunately...

I note in one of your previous posts, that at some point, the battery was allowed to go completely flat. With Lith-Ion batteries, this is never a good idea, and there have been reports here on XDA and elsewhere that fully flat batteries can cause problems. Whether that's the cause of your problem is moot... as there is no way of proving it. But it seems a possible candidate.

In any case, I suspect some damage has occurred to the EMMC internal storage chip, that prevents you from unlocking the bootloader.

And if the device is not booting at all into Android, I suspect some partitions have become corrupted.

Given you haven't unlocked or rooted, you're most certainly not in violation of your warranty.... so perhaps you could try an RMA with Google/Asus; maybe get it fixed/replaced. Just an optimistic thought on this decidedly pessimistic thread.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Ricey_uk

Jan 23, 2010
Indeed, that does seem to be the case and I have also seen reports of flat batteries causing problems.

I'll suggest to the device owner that he get in touch with Asus/Google and give them some grief ;)

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers

Reactions: GedBlake

Saenchai

Aug 23, 2009
Bangkok
Im stuck with the same problem. And it happened also after letting the battery run dry. Ive read it many times now, i guess over 70% of topics that have this subject the user said the battery run dry before. That really shouldnt happen these days.

fastboot devices give me an id, fastboot oem unlock gives me nothing (gets stuck and doesnt continue), and fastboot erase cache gives me FAILED <remote: no partition table found>

Also i had a non-rooted Nexus 7, the 2013 version for me, Wifi only with Android 4.4.2 installed.

I bought it with 4.3 and had 2 or 3 updates and the last one occured some days ago (to 4.4.2). 2 days later i had this problem after battery went dry.

See post at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2572694

jaffal

Dec 19, 2013
Registered to say I have exactly the same problem (stuck on the white Google logo) and went through almost exactly the same process before seeing this post. I also let my battery run completely dry immediately before this happened.

Haven't found a fix and its four days out of warranty, but at least it's nice to know I'm not alone!

Im stuck with the same problem. And it happened also after letting the battery run dry. Ive read it many times now, i guess over 70% of topics that have this subject the user said the battery run dry before. That really shouldnt happen these days.

fastboot devices give me an id, fastboot oem unlock gives me nothing (gets stuck and doesnt continue), and fastboot erase cache gives me FAILED <remote: no partition table found>

Also i had a non-rooted Nexus 7, the 2013 version for me, Wifi only with Android 4.4.2 installed.

I bought it with 4.3 and had 2 or 3 updates and the last one occured some days ago (to 4.4.2). 2 days later i had this problem after battery went dry.

See post at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2572694

Saenchai

Aug 23, 2009
Bangkok
Registered to say I have exactly the same problem (stuck on the white Google logo) and went through almost exactly the same process before seeing this post. I also let my battery run completely dry immediately before this happened.

Haven't found a fix and its four days out of warranty, but at least it's nice to know I'm not alone!

Its too bad, really. Im lucky i still was in warranty so i gave up now and send it in.

But i read here that it could help if you put out the battery. Sadly i couldnt try it anymore on mine. You can pull the cover up without to break any seal or something. Then you can de-connect the battery cable from the mainboard and wait for some time before connect it again. You dont need any tools but your fingers for this, so dont be afraid.

Of course, if its an error with the ECCM chip this probably wont help but you should give it a try at least.

LordNaldo

Dec 29, 2013
Hi Ged,
Hallo everyone, i have some problems with my Nexus 7.
I have a Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB wifi/3G+ version. i already unlock bootloader and rooted it. it was using Android 4.3 and I update several days ago to Android 4.4.2. After i used it to flash SMS tools using CWM, it can't reboot and i stucked after google logo and see four colour balls spinning all day. I try to wipe data/factory reset using CWM recovery, and it still doesn't work. Now my nexus can't connect using ADB, (device not found).
What should i do to fixed it?
this is my current status in bootloader

Fastboot mode
Product name - deb
Variant - deb 32G
HW version - rev_e
Bootloader version - FLO-04.02
Baseband version DEB-GOO_2.37.0_1024
carrier info - none
serial number - 0a28024c
Signing - yes
Secure boot - enabled
Lock State -unlocked

Can you help me? i try to download sdk for windows to get new ADB and fastboot.. but i dunno the steps to fix it..
thanks, sorry to bother yor..

regards,

naldo

**sorry if my english is not good..

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
Hi Ged,
Hallo everyone, i have some problems with my Nexus 7.
I have a Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB wifi/3G+ version. i already unlock bootloader and rooted it. it was using Android 4.3 and I update several days ago to Android 4.4.2. After i used it to flash SMS tools using CWM, it can't reboot and i stucked after google logo and see four colour balls spinning all day. I try to wipe data/factory reset using CWM recovery, and it still doesn't work. Now my nexus can't connect using ADB, (device not found).
What should i do to fixed it?
this is my current status in bootloader

Fastboot mode
Product name - deb
Variant - deb 32G
HW version - rev_e
Bootloader version - FLO-04.02
Baseband version DEB-GOO_2.37.0_1024
carrier info - none
serial number - 0a28024c
Signing - yes
Secure boot - enabled
Lock State -unlocked

Can you help me? i try to download sdk for windows to get new ADB and fastboot.. but i dunno the steps to fix it..
thanks, sorry to bother yor..

regards,

naldo

**sorry if my english is not good..

You're in the wrong forum. This is the 2012 Nexus 7 forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MissCK

Jan 8, 2014
Hi, I have the same problem, Stuck in a Google screen boot loop after the battery went dead. I have an unrooted Nexus 2012 & the bootloader is locked. I have spent all day today reading forums etc.. But haven't found a fix. It's just out of warranty by a few weeks too :(

I'm not very savvy with this kind of thing so am a loss as to what to do now. I'm reluctant to try anything too technical!

I did try the WugFresh toolkit to 'Flash stock + Unroot' with the 'Soft Bricked/Unroot' highlighted but that didn't work. (Maybe because the bootloader is locked?) I did try to unlock it using the kit but it didn't seem to work. Does the bootloader really need to be unlocked to do anything like this?

Has anyone tried taking the battery out? Or found a fix?

Thanks

jadesse

Aug 19, 2007
You can get the Android version info by going to SETTINGS>>ABOUT TABLET.

Without further details, what is odd about your predicament is this...

If your bootloader is v4.13, then that means the device hasn't been updated since November of last year. Since then, there have been, I think, 3 official updates from Google... the most recent being JellyBean 4.3 about a couple of weeks ago

Normally, when an OTA update is pending, you get pestered endlessly with an endless stream of notifications:(.

Upon the user accepting the lastest update (whatever that might be - but is currently JellyBean 4.3)... the device downloads the OTA, runs a checksum test on the current files in /system... and then'patches' them, meaning it brings them up to date.

The very last thing the OTA does is update the bootloader, by dropping BOOTLOADER.RAW into the USP(staging) partition. Upon automatic reboot, the new bootloader is then copied (from the USP/staging partition) into the bootloader partition proper... thus obviating the risks associated with flashing the bootloader partition directly.

Since November, the bootloader has been updated by this means twice... 4.13->4.18 (in, I think February, when JellyBean 4.22 was rolled out) and just recently 4.18->4.23 when JellyBean 4.3 was rolled out.

It's odd you haven't received any notifications of any OTA updates.

----------------------------------

Anyway.... A possible workaround...

A slightly rhetorical question... why do you want to unlock the bootloader anyway?

I assume it's because you want to root... or maybe flash a custom ROM...

That 'might' still be possible...if you're running a version of Android THAT ISN'T JellyBean 4.3, you can root via 'exploit'.

Details here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2233852

This requires no fastboot commands and thus, no need for an unlocked bootloader.

It's really simple to implement. Indeed, I ran my Nexus 7 for several month BOOTLOADER locked, but rooted.
(But with the advent of JellyBean 4.3, root exploits no longer work.... so I've had to root the old fashioned way).

But it might be useful to you...

Anyway... once you are rooted, you can then flash a Custom Recovery... like CWM or TWRP.

Normally this would be done via fastboot. But there are two great apps available that will 'write' a recovery partition... directly from the Nexus 7.

These are Flash Image GUI and Flashify.

Both will request root access.

It doesn't matter which one you use, as they essentially do the same job... but IMHO, Flashify is the better of the two.

Once you have a Custom Recovery installed, the metaphorical gateway is open to whatever Custom ROMs or Custom Kernels you like.

It's possible none of the above will work... maybe for the same reason why you can't unlock the bootloader. A suspected fault with the internal EMMC chip.

But it just might... and it's gotta be worth a shot:):):).

To summarize
Root via 'exploit'
Use Flashify or Flash Image GUI to install a Custom Recovery

Good luck.

Rgrds,
Ged.

Is it possible to use Flashify to re-lock the bootloader? I need to RMA my Nexus 7 again because of the USB port. When I plug it into my computer it will only charge. It isn't recognized & I just go it back for this same issue a month ago.

GedBlake

Jan 5, 2013
Is it possible to use Flashify to re-lock the bootloader? I need to RMA my Nexus 7 again because of the USB port. When I plug it into my computer it will only charge. It isn't recognized & I just go it back for this same issue a month ago.

Hi, jadesse...

Apologies... been meaning to respond, but never quite got around to it.

I'm afraid you can't use flashify to re-lock the bootloader. Flashify is just an app... an incredibly useful one though... but it only flashes boot.img and recovery.img files to their respective partitions... (and it can backup the currently installed boot/kernel and recovery images).

The only way of re-locking the bootloader is via fastboot, with the command fastboot oem lock. The various toolkits available, like Wugfresh, run the same command, only it's just wrapped up in a fancy GUI interface.

Your question is (more or less) the polar opposite of another common question that crops up from time to time... "Can I root without a PC?"... and the answer is no... because that requires fastboot oem unlock.

There's a lot you can do, once the bootloader is unlocked, without resorting to fastboot...

... but unlocking and re-locking the bootloader, absolutely requires fastboot...

And consequently... a PC and a working USB port on the Nexus 7.

----------------------------------------------------------

Clutching at straws a little here... but have you tried ALL the USB ports on your PC... or indeed, have you tried a completely different PC? Or maybe a different USB cable?

It's worth mentioning, because in my experience, fastboot can sometimes be a little fussy. I've noticed this sometimes, when fastboot flashing back to factory stock... some .img/partitions (whilst 'sending') just 'hang' (ie., nothing happens) until I swap to a different USB port on my PC.

But that's flastboot flashing a full factory image... all you have to do, is successfully run the command...

Code:
fastboot oem lock

So it might be worth experimenting with different USB port/USB cable/PC permutations. I always think it's worth running through all possibilities, no matter how unlikely they might seem.

Sorry I couldn't deliver better news... it's probably still worth giving an RMA a shot though. You've got nothing to loose by trying:).

Anyway... good luck... and hope the RMA guys overlook the little unlocked padlock symbol. (and I think, sometimes, they do...)

Rgrds,
Ged.

Last edited:

jadesse

Aug 19, 2007
Hi, jadesse...

I'm afraid you can't use flashify to re-lock the bootloader. Flashify is just an app... an incredibly useful one though... but it only flashes boot.img and recovery.img files to their respective partitions... (and it can backup the currently installed boot/kernel and recovery images).

The only way of re-locking the bootloader is via fastboot, with the command fastboot oem lock. The various toolkits available, like Wugfresh, run the same command, only it's just wrapped up in a fancy GUI interface.

Your question is (more or less) the polar opposite of another common question that crops up from time to time... "Can I root without a PC?"... and the answer is no... because that requires fastboot oem unlock.

There's a lot you can do, once the bootloader is unlocked, without resorting to fastboot...

... but unlocking and re-locking the bootloader, absolutely requires fastboot...

Clutching at straws a little here... but have you tried ALL the USB ports on your PC... or indeed, have you tried a completely different PC? Or maybe a different USB cable?

It's worth mentioning, because in my experience, fastboot can sometimes be a little fussy. I've noticed this sometimes, when fastboot flashing back to factory stock... some .img/partitions (whilst 'sending') just 'hang' (ie., nothing happens) until I swap to a different USB port on my PC.

But that's flastboot flashing a full factory image... all you have to do, is successfully run the command...

Code:
fastboot oem lock

So it might be worth experimenting with different USB port/USB cable/PC permutations. I always think it's worth running through all possibilities, no matter how unlikely they might seem.

Sorry I couldn't deliver better news... it's probably still worth giving an RMA a shot though. You've got nothing to loose by trying:).

Anyway... good luck... and hope the RMA guys overlook the little unlocked padlock symbol. (and I think, sometimes, they do...)

Rgrds,
Ged.

Thank for the replay. This is the 2nd time this has happened. I have tried 3 different computer, 4 different cable, Win7, & Win XP. It is definitely something hosed in my Nexus 7 (2012) again. I probably will try to RMA it again especially since this problem isn't tied to unlocking.

Someone posted in another thread this but it isn't compatible with the 2012 Nexus 7.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.segv11.bootunlocker

I wouldn't see why it would work but I don't want to try it & be worse off.

larryharry

Mar 18, 2014
nexus 7 bricked

Hi, jadesse...

Code:
fastboot oem lock

Rgrds,
Ged.

I am having the same problem. Nexus 7 2012 stuck on "Google" display. Goes into fastboot mode with power and volume down buttons.
USB drivers on Win7 work fine. "fastboot devices" works. "fastboot oem unlock" switches the screen on the nexus to "Unlock Bootloader?"
When I select "Yes" it just won't do it. "Unlocking now......" stays there forever...
Has anybody found a solution? What is this RMA trick?
Thanks!

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
@larryharryThe RMA trick as you put it is return merchandise authorisation it means Google or Asus agreeing to accept a return for repair:D

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

brunorepetto

May 4, 2014
same problem, can't unlock N7 bootloader

Hello, I have the exact same problem with the bootloader, I have tried a toolkit and bootloader-Windows, and it gets recognized by the toolkit, but when I try unlocking, the tablet ask if I am sure, then it restarts in locked mode, getting the exact message you showed. Have you get any solution?

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
Hello, I have the exact same problem with the bootloader, I have tried a toolkit and bootloader-Windows, and it gets recognized by the toolkit, but when I try unlocking, the tablet ask if I am sure, then it restarts in locked mode, getting the exact message you showed. Have you get any solution?

Does the tablet boot? What exact message is it showing? Is it stuck on wiping user data?

Sent from my C5303 using XDA Free mobile app

J4Y5KY

Jul 20, 2014
Hi Ged!

This has been an extremely helpful thread as it has both soothed me emotionally and also cut down dramatically on the number of fixes I have to try.

Having said that, I have the exact same Nexus 7(grouper) and the exact same problem as mentioned here.
(Device stuck in boot loading cycle, trying to flash back to stock factory image, bootloader is locked and command line 'fastboot oem unlock' results in the line ' FAILED <remote: <Unknown error code>>' within a second or two)

I have used the 'fastboot devices' check and received back the device serial number. I'm wondering if it might be worth it for me to attempt the risky bootloader flash. If so, could you pull the bootloader .img file off of the newest update baseband? The tablet had just updated to 4.4.4 a few days prior. It's on bootloader version 4.23.

Thanks so much,

JAYSKY

Reactions: GedBlake and Alcami

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Ged,

thanks for the info, I was wondering about the .img versions - but I can't seem to find the 'grouper' version of 4.13 anywhere. It's not on the factory downloads page (google)

As for the unlock, it does indeed come up with the screen as you showed, and pressing the power button for 'yes' says that it is unlocking. When it then reboots itself it just stays blank. A hard power cycle back to recovery states that it is still locked.

thought?

cheers

Hi, Ricey_uk...

Yeah... that, unfortunately, does not sound good at all:(. Unlocking the bootloader just sets some 'flag state' on the internal EMMC flash chip. Specifically, somewhere in the mmcblk0boot0 partition, where the bootloader lives.

There's some technical info here... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2068207

If fastboot oem unlock is performing as you describe, then it strongly suggests some sort of hardware failure. It just shouldn't behave that way... once you have confirmed the oem unlock request on the Nexus 7, the PC should display (if I remember correctly), the following...

Unlocking....
    The device is unlocked now...

The whole procedure should take no more than a few seconds. Blank screens and forced reboots have happened many times on my Nexus 7... but never whilst unlocking the bootloader (and yes, I have locked and relocked several times, when I was experimenting with the 'motochopper' root exploit).

Incidentally, you won't find 4.13 on the factory downloads page, as that number refers to the bootloader version for JellyBean 4.2 and 4.2.1. (It's not always the case that with each new version of JellyBean the bootloader is updated).

Anyway... looking through my collection of system images on my laptop, I find the following...

JellyBean 4.1.2 -> bootloader-grouper-3.41.img
    JellyBean 4.2.0 -> bootloader-grouper-4.13.img
    JellyBean 4.2.1 -> bootloader-grouper-4.13.img
    JellyBean 4.2.2 -> bootloader-grouper-4.18.img
    JellyBean 4.3.0 -> bootloader-grouper-4.23.img

With JellyBean 4.3 being the latest, and it updating the bootloader to 4.23.

If you're still stuck on bootloader version 4.13, then that means it was last updated with the rollout of JellyBean 4.2, sometime around November 2012.

All of which is technically interesting... but probably doesn't help you.

I think there is a hardware problem on your Nexus 7, that is preventing the bootloader-lock-state flag from being correctly set.

Wish I could be of more assistance.

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    Hi Ged!

This has been an extremely helpful thread as it has both soothed me emotionally and also cut down dramatically on the number of fixes I have to try.

Having said that, I have the exact same Nexus 7(grouper) and the exact same problem as mentioned here.
    (Device stuck in boot loading cycle, trying to flash back to stock factory image, bootloader is locked and command line 'fastboot oem unlock' results in the line ' FAILED <remote: <Unknown error code>>' within a second or two)

I have used the 'fastboot devices' check and received back the device serial number. I'm wondering if it might be worth it for me to attempt the risky bootloader flash. If so, could you pull the bootloader .img file off of the newest update baseband? The tablet had just updated to 4.4.4 a few days prior. It's on bootloader version 4.23.

Thanks so much,

JAYSKY
    Hi all,

I've also got what seems to be a similar problem.

I've tried many (all?) the options to get this thing unlocked.

All I get is:

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    (bootloader) erasing userdata...
    (bootloader) erasing userdata done
    (bootloader) erasing cache...
    (bootloader) erasing cache done
    (bootloader) unlocking...
    FAILED (remote: (Unknown error code))
    finished. total time: 4.753s

or if I try a factory flash:

Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-tilapia-4.13.img 
    sending 'bootloader' (2096 KB)...
    FAILED (remote: Bootloader is locked.)
    finished. total time: 0.013s

Also a "restart bootloader" from the recovery screen or
    Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    takes me to a blank screen.

Holding the power button to reset the Nexus then the power + Vol Down takes me back to recovery with no change.

(I'm looking at this for a friend so not sure exactly what he did, but I doubt it was anything major!)

the machine vars are:

Code:
    fastboot getvar all
    (bootloader) version-bootloader: 4.13
    (bootloader) version-baseband: N/A
    (bootloader) version-hardware: ER3
    (bootloader) version-cdma: N/A
    (bootloader) variant: grouper
    (bootloader) serialno: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    (bootloader) product: grouper
    (bootloader) secure: yes
    (bootloader) unlocked: no
    (bootloader) uart-on: no
    (bootloader) partition-size:bootloader: 
    (bootloader) partition-type:bootloader: emmc
    (bootloader) partition-size:recovery: 0x0000000000c00000
    (bootloader) partition-type:recovery: emmc
    (bootloader) partition-size:boot: 0x0000000000800000
    (bootloader) partition-type:boot: emmc
    (bootloader) partition-size:system: 0x0000000028a00000
    (bootloader) partition-type:system: ext4
    (bootloader) partition-size:cache: 0x000000001bb00000
    (bootloader) partition-type:cache: ext4
    (bootloader) partition-size:userdata: 0x0000000700f00000
    (bootloader) partition-type:userdata: ext4
    all: 
    finished. total time: 0.161s.

your help please?

regards

Ricey

Hi, Ricey_uk...

Mmm... not sure, but I think you're trying to flash the wrong factory image for your device...

Reason being, is because (QUOTE: fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-tilapia-4.13.img) 'tilapia' refers to the 3G/GSM variant of the Nexus 7.

But you appear to have a (QUOTE: (bootloader) product: grouper) 'grouper' device. Which is WiFi only... this seems to be supported by the two lines in your output...

(bootloader) version-baseband: N/A
    (bootloader) version-cdma: N/A

... which suggests your N7 has no 'radio' capability.

You need the factory stock image for "nakasi" for Nexus 7 Wi-Fi only (device board "grouper").... NOT "nakasig" for Wi-Fi & Mobile (device board "tilapia").

(See my sig for download links).

-----------

In short, there is an incongruity/contradiction in your reported outputs.... the device is either 'grouper' or it's 'tilapia'

It can't be both.

If it has a SIM card (like a mobile phone), or a space for a SIM card, then it's 'tilapia'... if it doesn't, then it's 'grouper'.

Ensure you are flashing the correct factory stock for your device.

-----------

But having said all of that... (and if there is confusion, it needs to be cleared up)... it doesn't explain why something as straightforward and innocuous as...

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

...isn't working.

Two possibilities occur to me...

1) A bad USB connection. Try a different USB port on your PC... Or, maybe, a different USB cable.

Once the fastboot oem unlock command is issued at the PC end, it will need to be confirmed at the Nexus 7 end (see attached thumbnail). Use either of the two VOL buttons to choose YES and confirm by pressing the POWER button.

2) It's possible there could be a hardware failure... some problem with the EMMC flash memory chip. As alluded to by a previous poster...

Most likely. Is it still in Warranty? (The tab should be less than 1 year old)
    The whole narrative smells like some kind of failure with the EMMC flash memory chip
    There's no point in fooling with adb. It only exists in the booted OS or a custom recovery, and you have neither.
    Sorry... but you should probably be contacting Asus at this point.

Whilst I don't discount the possibility that it COULD be EMMC chip failure, I'm not inclined to think that this is a likely possbility. More prosaic explanations need to be explored first.

First... check the integrity of of your USB connections - at both ends; change to different USB ports on your PC; if you can, try a different PC; try a different USB cable. And confirm at the Nexus 7 end, once the unlock command has been issued. (again, see attached thumbnail).

Second... if you are going to try to fastboot flash back to Android factory stock... make sure you do so with correct version for your device. If you're device is Wi-Fi only, you need the 'grouper' version... if not, the 'tilapia' version.

Hope this helps.... and good luck.

Rgrds,
    Ged.
    Thanks Ged,

great info - I was looking for the factory image for JB 4.2.0 to get the bootloader image out of, but that version of JB isn't on the factory page :(

my theory being if I re-flash the same version it might fix the bootloader?? But it being locked it would need the exact same version?

perhaps if you could mail me the .img file I could try it? I can pm you my address??

cheers!

Give me half an hour or so, and I'll upload it to my dropbox and I'll post a link. Gotta get it of my laptop first:).

Although I'm not convinced it will solve your problem... but I suppose you have nothing to loose by trying.

Rgrds,
    Ged.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

OK... here is the bootloader .img file - v4.13... extracted from nakasi-jp40d-factory-6ac58a1a.tar... or in English, Jellybean 4.2.1.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37483979/bootloader-grouper-4.13.img

Code:
    File size: 2.05 MiB (2,146,892 bytes)
    MD5:       a119629c89ad06c7e49bebd260df9cf3
    SHA-1:     fd60a0d9da5c814e2c1ee049f537700cbbe2c3cc

Flash as follows....

Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.13.img

---------------

Be careful with this.

Flashing a bootloader is the riskiest single operation you can undertake on the Nexus 7.

All it takes is one false step, and you have a hardbrick.

The device will never boot again.

Make sure you have good USB connections at both ends... and before flashing... type...

Code:
    fastboot devices

If you don't see a serial number, you have either a driver problem OR a possible dodgy USB connection.

Do not proceed with this flash until you see a serial number.

Normally, I would suggest test flashing something innocuous first, like a recovery, for example.... but since your bootloader is locked, that's not possible.

I'm not even sure flashing a bootloader is possible with a locked bootloader... but then, I've never directly flashed a bootloader before.

Very best of luck - really hope this fixes your problem.

Rgrds,
    Ged.

Hi, jadesse...

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

Rgrds,
    Ged.