• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Nexus 7 Faulty Power Button - It works but...it doesn't work

Search This thread

Level99

Feb 2, 2011
I just got a Nexus 7 today to replace my iPad 1st Gen. Happy to be making all my phones and tablets Android-based.

However, I'm encountering a very strange issue with my power button. It seems to work as a hard reset ONLY, and not as a select button for any reason. I can not use it to turn off screen in Android, nor can I use it to select Yes in the Unlock Bootloader screen. However, if I hold it down for 5+ seconds, it does hard reset the device.

I'd really like to keep this and not have to go through the hassle of exchanging it back to GameStop tomorrow. Anyone have any advice or heard of this issue before? I couldn't find any precedent on XDA or through Google, and I figured y'all would know if anyone would :)

jamesst20

Jan 31, 2012
I just got a Nexus 7 today to replace my iPad 1st Gen. Happy to be making all my phones and tablets Android-based.

However, I'm encountering a very strange issue with my power button. It seems to work as a hard reset ONLY, and not as a select button for any reason. I can not use it to turn off screen in Android, nor can I use it to select Yes in the Unlock Bootloader screen. However, if I hold it down for 5+ seconds, it does hard reset the device.

I'd really like to keep this and not have to go through the hassle of exchanging it back to GameStop tomorrow. Anyone have any advice or heard of this issue before? I couldn't find any precedent on XDA or through Google, and I figured y'all would know if anyone would :)

Lmao it is odd because if it works for hard reboot, then the button isn't broken but it can't logicly be right if it doesn't work in fastboot/bootloader :/ Go exchange it I guess :(

Level99

Feb 2, 2011
Couldn't make it work, I did return it and the new one is working as planned. Thanks for the help, folks! Really enjoying this one with an actual working power button :)