[Q] Nexus Player Supported Formats

Search This thread

kadac00

Dec 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Has anyone found what the supported media formats are for the Nexus Player?
I found the following information below when I search for ChromeCast, but could not find the equivalent for the Nexus Player.

From developers (dot) google (dot) com / cast / docs / media

Supported Media for Google Cast:

Streaming protocols
  • MP4
  • WebM

Video codecs
  • H.264 High Profile Level 4.1, 4.2 and 5
  • VP8

Audio decoding
  • HE-AAC
  • LC-AAC
  • CELT/Opus
  • MP3
  • Vorbis
  • Wav (audio/wav)

Audio passthrough
  • AC-3

Nick0742

Feb 12, 2011
Good question. I couldn't find any information on this either. One thing I'm going to try tonight is the Antutu Video Tester app. It downloads a video pack of dozens of different codecs and tests playback ability as well as the quality of playback. Should be interesting.

ddiehl

Feb 27, 2011
I can say from experience that when running XBMC I've been able to play video_ts folders (DVD rips) and MKV.. The only issue I ran into with video_ts folders was that it took upwards of 10 seconds to start play, and sometimes up to 30-40 seconds to return to the movie list when hitting stop.. MKV play without a hitch and are very snappy.

Hope this helps.

alexandero11

Jul 4, 2013
Seattle
I'm really getting tired of seeing so many articles claim that the Nexus Player can use VP9. Maybe it technically can, but it effectively never does, especially not on YouTube where it's needed most and makes the most sense. Anyone know how to force vp9 in the YouTube app?

Last edited: