[Q] No audio during call - Nexus 4 CM11

Search This thread

GandaBaccha

Oct 28, 2014
Pune
Hi,

I have a Nexus 4 running CM11.
I am not getting any audio during calls. In the earpiece or speaker. Music, notifications, Skype, etc are working fine.
Tried using Soundabout, but that did not make any difference.

Sometimes when I boot the phone, I am getting audio in the first 3-4 calls that I make. But when I close the dialer and open it again, I don't get any audio

Thanks in advance!!

totospv

Jul 16, 2008
Hi,

I have a Nexus 4 running CM11.
I am not getting any audio during calls. In the earpiece or speaker. Music, notifications, Skype, etc are working fine.
Tried using Soundabout, but that did not make any difference.

Sometimes when I boot the phone, I am getting audio in the first 3-4 calls that I make. But when I close the dialer and open it again, I don't get any audio

Thanks in advance!!

I'm experiencing the same issue with my nexus4/CM11...
Not found the cause nor the solution yet :crying:

funnoam

Feb 7, 2013
Paris
I'm using CyanogenMod 11 11-20141009-UNOFFICIAL-mako with baseband 2.0.1.1701.03 and I don't have this issue.
Flash the latest radio, try a clean flash then try again. Stay with the stock CM kernel too !

Reactions: n2fracture

LordDeath

Nov 30, 2006
I already have the latest baseband and I am using the official CM kernel. The issue started somewhere during last week's nightlies and it is very likely that even the upcoming M12 build has this issue on Nexus 4 devices.

Reactions: n2fracture

n2fracture

Apr 25, 2011
Camrose
Not a hardware problem

I wiped and flashed back to a factory 4.4.4 last night and the problem seems to be fixed. So at least we know it's not a hardware issue. I was also able to make calls through hangouts just fine.
I had already flashed the latest 1.03 radio as well as the original stock radio and most of the ones in between and that didn't work. Clearing data for the phone app didn't seem to do anything at all.
Try doing a clean install of the latest nightly or monthly and see if that works.
I bet that if you uninstall and reinstall the phone app that it would start working again.

Last edited:

n2fracture

Apr 25, 2011
Camrose
still working

I knew I couldn't stay on stock very long.
Flashed 20141102 and in call audio is still working.
Did anyone try a clean install of the latest nightly?

mx82

Dec 9, 2011
Try to reset only the telephone app (com.android.phone) and reboot.
Worked for me.

EDIT: Doesn't work anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: israelre

ivanich

Nov 6, 2011
Odessa, Kyiv
Downgrade to google play services v6.5.86 fixes incall audio for me.
Code:
adb install -r -d Downloads/com.google.android.gms.apk
3563 KB/s (29005798 bytes in 7.949s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/com.google.android.gms.apk
Success

Reactions: mx82

mx82

Dec 9, 2011
@ ivanich:
thanks, my solution doesn't work since the google play service update.

Another solution should be to install the gapps again, but I didn't try it.

Greetings

Saml01

May 31, 2012
https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/CYAN-5728

This has been an issue for some time.

The evidence leads us to believe that google play services is the culprit at this time. But why does it plague only the Nexus 4's running CM?

(25 OCT) - When this issue was identified initially. The issue can be temporarily resolved by disabling wifi and restarting the phone. With WIFI off the phone will make and receive calls for at least 2 day without regressing(i personally tested this) as soon as you turn on the wifi, 1 - 4 calls in the audio is gone.

(10 NOV) - Two weeks passed since the initial reporting and the issue went away, assuming because google play was updated. At this time I was able to make and receive calls normally for a week or two. Then out of the blue, no audio. I disabled wifi and rebooted, the audio was back. The difference this time was the phone kept working normally for another two weeks.

(12 DEC) The issue has resurfaced, assuming google play was updated again and we are back to experiencing the issue with the initial levels of severity.

It looks like Google Play Services 6.5.87 will cause the issue. 6.5.86 works fine. 6.5.88 is unknown, 1 report says it doesnt.

Last edited:

ivanich

Nov 6, 2011
Odessa, Kyiv

The evidence leads us to believe that google play services is the culprit at this time. But why does it plague only the Nexus 4's running CM?

(25 OCT) - When this issue was identified initially. The issue can be temporarily resolved by disabling wifi and restarting the phone. With WIFI off the phone will make and receive calls for at least 2 day without regressing(i personally tested this) as soon as you turn on the wifi, 1 - 4 calls in the audio is gone.

(10 NOV) - Two weeks passed since the initial reporting and the issue went away, assuming because google play was updated. At this time I was able to make and receive calls normally for a week or two. Then out of the blue, no audio. I disabled wifi and rebooted, the audio was back. The difference this time was the phone kept working normally for another two weeks.

(12 DEC) The issue has resurfaced, assuming google play was updated again and we are back to experiencing the issue with the initial levels of severity.

It looks like Google Play Services 6.5.87 will cause the issue. 6.5.86 works fine. 6.5.88 is unknown, 1 report says it doesnt.
6.5.88 and 6.5.94 are broken too .

mx82

Dec 9, 2011
Thanks,

turning wifi off helped.

How can I force google not to update the Google Play Services ?
It is not an regular app from the market.
I've tried to disallow all automatic updates, this doesn't help.

Greetings

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the same problem. I believe I have found a solution: I disabled a number of services (using the DisableService app) of the Google Play Services app. I am not (yet) sure which of the services is actually causing the problem, and I am getting some warnings and frequent crashes of Google Play Services as a side-effect, but I do have audio in calls back even with data/wifi enabled. I am going to test one by one which of the services actually cause the problem, but this is going to take a lot of time. After each test, at least one reboot is required (probably better two) and I have to wait some time after the reboot before testing. I thought a number of times that I had found a solution, but it was going away after a reboot and/or waiting some time. Now with the disabled services it seems to work permanently.

This is the list of disabled services:
    AdvertisingIdService
    CheckinService
    ClearcutLoggerService
    DeviceConnectionServiceBroker
    DispatchingService
    DownloadService
    FusedLocationService
    FusedProviderService
    GeocodeService
    GeofenceProviderService
    GoogleHttpService
    GoogleLocationManagerService
    GoogleLocationService
    IndexService
    LightweightIndexService
    NetworkLocationService
    PlayLogBrokerService
    SystemUpdateService (was disabled before)
    WearableService

This list is a bit random and arbitrary, since I just disabled all services I saw running after a reboot. I will update this post, when I exclude some of the services. Please let us know whether this is helping for you (beware that the problem might come back after some time and/or a reboot - actually a reboot is usually fixing the problem for a few minutes but it comes back then). Another hint for testing: I usually call my own land line number and see if I hear the call-progress tone, because that's already not working when the problem is there.

Update: I reactivated the first part of the list until including "GeocodeService" and the problem reappeared ca. 15 minutes after the reboot. I now invert the selection and will let you know...

Update2: I believe I can exclude this second part of the list. At least the problem did not reappear again so far (15 minutes after reboot). All obvious negative side effects (warnings and crashes) seem to be gone, too. I will keep it at this configuration over night and continue testing tomorrow.

Update3: The problem seems to be caused by the "CheckinService" service. I re-enabled all other services and it was still working. If I re-enabled that service again, the problem reappeared. Note that I have no idea what this service is doing! I don't see any side-effects, but this doesn't mean they are not there.
    DIsabling of SyncService during calls

I've made a small app that hooks to the call status and disables the SyncService during call and then enables it back when the call is finished. This is tested only on Nexus 4 with CyanogenMod 11 Snapshot M12.

Use at your own risk!

Link: github.com / groupsky / nexus4-call-fixer
    I updated my post above. The problem seems to be caused by the CheckinService of the Google Play Services, disabling this service alone fixes the problem for me. I will need to wait a bit longer, to be sure, but so far 15 minutes were always enough to reproduce the problem.

Updating Google Play Services to a fixed version (as oofnik suggested) may be the better option, though. I will try this next.
    I've a solution for checkin handoff.
    You have to disable not only the service but all the receivers with "checkin" in the name. To achieve this I used advanced Freezing from rom toolbox pro but also autorun manager could do the job.
    Absurd to be forced to find these solutions for a Google app wich screws everything and maybe SPY MY CALLS.
    I think I'll reconsider Google Android in favour of Lumia