[Q] Nook Color Root?

scoutcamper

Jun 29, 2010
lol, i was talking to the post before you, but this applys to you as well, you have to start up the sdk manager, and download the usb drivers, then you have to edit the ini file with the drivers, search the thread for more info.

sapienta

Mar 25, 2007
OK I finally got ADB to work on Windows 7 64 bit. See steps below

1. Add the following lines to the android_winusb.inf file from the usb_driver folder of the android sdk

Put these lines right under the Moto Sholes line
Code:
;B & N Nook Color
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2080&PID_0002&MI_01
2. Go to the Devices and Printers and right click on "Nook" - Properties and switch to the "Hardware" tab

There should be an item that say nook with a red x on it because there aren't any suitable drivers for it

Click on Nook and click on Properties

Goto the Driver tab and click Update Driver

Navigate to the usb_driver folder of the android SDK

Update the drivers and choose to install the drivers anyway.

3. Windows + R and type int "C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini"

Add the nook color device ID to it 0x2080

It should look like this

Code:
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x2080
4. Save it and start up the command line interface

Start -> Run -> cmd
Navigate to the tools folder in your Android SDK folder
(ie. C:\android\android-sdk-windows\tools)
Type adb remount

5. Now type adb devices and your nook color should show up.

I installed the Angry Birds apk from this link and it work great. Good luck :)

mediafire dot com/?f9x81z8i4n7u17p

jerrygon

Jun 23, 2007
Miramar, FL
Wow thanks so much for this.

I booted the nook with the micro sd card in it and all it finds in device and printers is a CDC composite gadget with a yellow exclamation and does not let me update the drivers for it.

Anything else you can add to this???

1. Add the following lines to the android_winusb.inf file from the usb_driver folder of the android sdk

Code:
;B & N Nook Color
2. Go to the Devices and Printers and right click on "Nook" - Properties and switch to the "Hardware" tab

There should be an item that say nook with a red x on it because there aren't any suitable drivers for it

It should look like this

Code:
0x2080

Start -> Run -> cmd
Type adb remount

bphillips09

Nov 28, 2010
New Orleans

Code:
;B & N Nook Color

It should look like this

Code:
0x2080

Start -> Run -> cmd
Type adb remount

I love you.

mhoepfin

Jan 9, 2006

I booted the nook with the micro sd card in it and all it finds in device and printers is a CDC composite gadget with a yellow exclamation and does not let me update the drivers for it.

I am having the same issue... Windows XP

oakleyrdc

Feb 24, 2010
The directions that you posted seem very straight forward, but after adding those lines below moto sholes, I still can only find composite under devices and printers. Inside that .inf file, there are two places that say moto sholes. Am I supposed to paste the three lines under both of those?

shograt

Mar 7, 2010
Troubles getting root w/ ubuntu.

Full details here: http://nookdevs.com/Talk:NookColor_Rooting (I'm shoggot there). But, to sum up:

After usb attach with card in, cdc device comes up in dmesg, usb0 connects. Can ssh in, but nothing's under /mnt. I've tried both possibilities listed on the main page (pull card 30 seconds after usb0 connection, pull card after disconnect / poweroff), but either way, when I reconnect usb (sans card), it just boots up into mass storage, without a usb0 connection / ssh.

I figure at least one way I'm doing it is wrong, but I've tried all variations I can think of =(

The notes on the Talk:NookColor_Rooting link are fairly exhaustive, if you think you'd be able to assist / shed light.

EDIT: For better or worse, I don't have access to any windows / mac boxes. Linux only.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2008
The directions that you posted seem very straight forward, but after adding those lines below moto sholes, I still can only find composite under devices and printers. Inside that .inf file, there are two places that say moto sholes. Am I supposed to paste the three lines under both of those?
One for x64 version of windows, other for x32 (aka 86). Not sure how much but it's good catch!

upd: added to both, still doesn't work

Last edited:

bphillips09

Nov 28, 2010
New Orleans
I am having the same issue... Windows XP

All you guys:

Make sure you take out the SD Card and boot the nook normal.

Once you edit the usb_win.ini (or whatever it's called) in the usb_drivers folder, save it. Right click on My Computer and select Properties.

Then go to Hardware and click on Device Manager.

Then find "Nook", right click, go to properties, then the "Drivers" tab.

Select "update driver"

Then go to "select the drivers from a folder/cd" (or whatever)

After, select the usb_drivers folder from inside the SDK folder and let it install.

Then, unplug/replug your Nook.

After, go to Start>Run and type CMD

Then, you want to Change Directories to the Tools folder inside of the "android-sdk" folder.

(ex. cd Desktop, cd android-sdk-windows, cd tools)

Once in that directory, type "adb remount"

You get like three lines and the last one should say "Remount Failed" or something similar.

Next, type "adb devices"

You should get a bunch of numbers and next to it, it will say "device"

(ex. 01292187321678123 device)

Then you will need to just type "adb install <path_to_.apk>

To make it easier, place the ".apk" file in the Tools folder, then you can just type "adb install APKNAME.apk"

Once you get "Succeeded" then you know it's all good.

exodus1999

Dec 1, 2010
I plugged in my microsd into NC, then plugged it in as USB. Then i used winimage to put pokey9000's img on the micosd card. when i boot the nook it just acts as normal. the drive comes up as removable disk named "nooter" which makes me think was imaged correctly. Whats causing this? is it because i didnt use a seperate reader?

Thanks ahead of time.

mhoepfin

Jan 9, 2006
All you guys:

Make sure you take out the SD Card and boot the nook normal.

Once you edit the usb_win.ini (or whatever it's called) in the usb_drivers folder, save it. Right click on My Computer and select Properties.

Then go to Hardware and click on Device Manager.

Then find "Nook", right click, go to properties, then the "Drivers" tab.

Select "update driver"

Then go to "select the drivers from a folder/cd" (or whatever)

After, select the usb_drivers folder from inside the SDK folder and let it install.

Then, unplug/replug your Nook.

After, go to Start>Run and type CMD

Then, you want to Change Directories to the Tools folder inside of the "android-sdk" folder.

(ex. cd Desktop, cd android-sdk-windows, cd tools)

Once in that directory, type "adb remount"

You get like three lines and the last one should say "Remount Failed" or something similar.

Next, type "adb devices"

You should get a bunch of numbers and next to it, it will say "device"

(ex. 01292187321678123 device)

Then you will need to just type "adb install <path_to_.apk>

To make it easier, place the ".apk" file in the Tools folder, then you can just type "adb install APKNAME.apk"

Once you get "Succeeded" then you know it's all good.
Thanks for trying to help, but I think our issue is different from this.

mad5427

Nov 29, 2010
I finally got this all to work and installed a tetris apk file that I had on my computer. It showed up nicely in the extras folder and the program works. It's a very small window that shows up in the top left corner, but it works.

Is there a way to resize the program to be full screen?

I know now how to install the programs. How do I go about uninstalling them?

Thanks everybody for all your hard work. This is amazing!!!

rad131304

Dec 1, 2010
Different VID/PID

First, thank you to all of you who have put in the hard work/put up with those of us who aren't as skilled at this stuff.

I haven't been able to get my windows 7 machine to recognize the NC under ADB.

The Steps I have performed are:

1. performed dd in cygwin on windows 7 machine **
  2. put card into nook
  3. booted per instructions on nookdevs
  4. added VID/PID to android_winusb.inf
  5. added VID to adb_usb.ini

I have a bunch of questions:

• When the SD card is in, I'm getting a CDC Composite object with VID_0525&PID_A4AA, not VID_2080&PID_0002. Does this mean that it didn't work?
  • When I remove the card and reboot, the NC mounts without issue - I have tried forcing the ADB driver onto the NC, but that did not help ADB find it. Does this mean that it didn't work?
  • I don't understand (from nookdev) when in this process I'm supposed to try and sideload. I would have expected it to be after the entire process is complete, but then they say at the bottom that you have to go through the entire process again to load more apps, leading me to believe it doesn't happen after reboot. However, sideloading at both of these is failing for me, as ADB won't recognize the nook in either configuration. When should I attempt to sideload?

**I am keeping in mind the possibility that cygwin botched dd and I need to do this in nix but I was hoping to avoid having to reboot.

10equals2

Nov 24, 2010
Troubles getting root w/ ubuntu.

Full details here: http://nookdevs.com/Talk:NookColor_Rooting (I'm shoggot there). But, to sum up:

After usb attach with card in, cdc device comes up in dmesg, usb0 connects. Can ssh in, but nothing's under /mnt. I've tried both possibilities listed on the main page (pull card 30 seconds after usb0 connection, pull card after disconnect / poweroff), but either way, when I reconnect usb (sans card), it just boots up into mass storage, without a usb0 connection / ssh.

I figure at least one way I'm doing it is wrong, but I've tried all variations I can think of =(

The notes on the Talk:NookColor_Rooting link are fairly exhaustive, if you think you'd be able to assist / shed light.
Oh, maybe you have a different problem.. you can only ssh into the device while its booted using the sd card. They expect you to use adb, which I don't think that I'll ever be able to get working.

I'm having the same problem. IIRC, they are missing a step from the previous directions... Please don't take my word on this, It's been too long, I'll check, and repost.

When you are sshing into the device, you are sshing into the filesystem that you dd'ed onto the sdcard. It's really nothing more than a mockup of the real filesystem. You'll need to mount the actual filesystem in order to get access to the real /mnt/app.

when you finish sshing into the nook,
# cd /dev; mknod mmcblk1p6 b 179 14 ; mount -o rw mmcblk1p6 /mnt

That's if I actually understand what is going on. Which is doubtful. I've been off of linux too long. I can't get #nookcolor to respond to this question either.

Anyone willing to confirm/deny/redicule me?

Last edited:

TheDrizzle89

Sep 21, 2010
I know on the Galaxy Tab there is an app called 'Spare Parts' that allows resizing. Not sure if it will work on the nook though. Worth a shot.

I finally got this all to work and installed a tetris apk file that I had on my computer. It showed up nicely in the extras folder and the program works. It's a very small window that shows up in the top left corner, but it works.

Is there a way to resize the program to be full screen?

I know now how to install the programs. How do I go about uninstalling them?

Thanks everybody for all your hard work. This is amazing!!!