[Q] Nook Color Root?

Search This thread

rad131304

Dec 1, 2010
find your adb_usb.ini file - it is usually located in c:\users\<username>\.android

I can not find this file on my computer. Did I install something wrong?

You might have to show hidden files and folders - I'm at work now and I don't remember the process but it's usually something like:

Open Explorer
Tools > Folder Options...
View Tab
Show hidden files and folders radio button about 7-10 items down the list

rad131304

Dec 1, 2010
Sorry...next step failed too.

after the "mount //." step seemed to work

I tried
dd: if=/nooter/nooter_sdcard_40mg.img of=/dev/sdd

I got
dd: opening 'dev/sdd' : no such file or directory

Sorry I'm such a clod...but your help is greatly appreciated.

Edit : the nooter directory is IN the cygwin directory

Huh - I don't know, I will re-run through the steps when I get home tonight.

Try elevating bash to administrative privilages (right click on bash and run as administrator) - I'm just guessing now.

EDIT: I botched the instructions, you need to remove the card after you mount and then insert it again (I did a physical removal, not a software eject).

Last edited:

Consolenomad

Jul 18, 2010
Aldiko / opds / trook ?

I know that the Kindle apk works, but has anyone tried alternative means of downloading and reading ebooks?

I installed Aldiko and it seemed to work well, but unfortunately the softkeys for menu/back disappear when opening an ebook and you get "stuck" in that book unable to access the menu.

I don't have an original nook, but nookdevs indicates that trook (nookdevs dot com / Trook) allows nook users to opds open book feeds. Has anyone tried installing trook (or any other original nook apps) on the color?

Ultimately just trying to figure out the best way to get wireless access to Calibre libraries, etc.

mhoepfin

Jan 9, 2006
To achieve the same effect (confirmed on my W7 Pro system):
  1. start > run > compmgmt.msc
  2. browse to Device Manager
  3. Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  4. Select USB Mass Storage Device (there may be multiple)
  5. Right-Click and select "properties"
  6. select the details tab
  7. in the dropdown, select "Hardware Ids" - if this says "USB\VID_2080&...." then this is the NC
  8. click ok
  9. right Click again and select uninstall
  10. disconnect NC from computer
  11. reconnect NC to computer
  12. NC re-finds all drivers, including ADB
  13. start > run > cmd
  14. cd <android-sdk-dir>\tools
  15. adb.exe remount

I had already enforced the ADB driver on the USB MSD, so mine was listed under android devices.

I will be posting a full write-up of my process for W7 in a bit

WOW THANKS!

This completely fixed my issue where I was seeing CDC Composite Gadget in Windows XP.

epakrat75

Aug 11, 2010
Chicago
Sorry guys, Lionclaw is correct, but I can see the confusion. I did mean the viewsonic tegra2 G-Tablet not the Galaxy Tablet. My mistake.

The Gtablet is $380 at sears. However, cant you just buy the Galaxy tablet outright for 600 with no contract (not that I am interested in it)?

The Viewsonic has the worst screen of any Tablet I've ever used. So unexpected from a otherwise decent monitor provider. Couple that with the worst software too and the NC is head and shoulders above it out of the box IMO. The Galaxy Tab when bought off contract requires at least 1 month of service, I believe. After that, you can cancel and always come back. No big deal there. However, I digress...this thread is about neither. My apologies.

mad5427

Nov 29, 2010
For those trying to uninstall stuff, a Q&D way of doing it:

Code:
adb shell ls /data/app ---- to get the full name of the apk
adb shell rm -r /data/app/#APPNAME

I'm not sure about dependencies and whatnot, but it got the app out of extras (after a reboot) and removed the apk off my device, which is all I care about at this point.

You, my good friend, are a gentleman and a scholar. After trying so much and researching so much, this worked perfectly....PERFECTLY!!!!!

I can't thank you enough. Absolutely amazing. I din't even need to reboot. It was just gone.

Thank you thank you thank you. I feel so much more confident adding apps knowing now how to easily remove them.

epakrat75

Aug 11, 2010
Chicago
Are people resorting to the use of ADB for installation / removal of APKs because apps like the Astro File Manager either fail to install / fail to install other apps? :confused:

All the good stuff comes out on linux first and this is why Ive converted completly to linux on every machine i own. Root took me about 15 min under ubuntu and it only took that long becuase i had to fight with the sd card. Thanks mbm and pokey and a1fa you guys all are awesome.

Steve

dirtygreek

Nov 18, 2010
sorry to take so long to respond but i just tried some ideas. in acv i went to "settings" and "control" and i set the long hold to do "open sd browser". that way, i am able to at least go back to choose a different comic when i want. (i also set swipe up to go straight to settings - just my preference.)

if you are stuck inside a comic like i was and you cannot get back to the settings, i was able to get to the menu screen by taking out the sd card. of course, if you are viewing a comic that is on the internal memory that might not work for you. but it made acv at least usable, so i hope it helps you out :p

In the kindle app, at least, you can just tap the screen and the menu shows up.

whgarner

Dec 25, 2009
unweildy thread

this thread is getting too long, we need to start threads based on specific problems and solving, i've already started a new thread using windows 7 rooting, credit to rad131304 for this.

txskeets

Dec 18, 2009
You guys just ROCK! This worked perfectly for me!!! Loved my NC before, love it even more now!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps some people - I tried to be very step-by-step about it.

Again, thank you Pokey9000, the guys and gals from the IRC channel, and everybody else for all of your hard work! 99.9% of this is an aggregation of what is already in this thread; some of it comes from nookdevs also.

You will need the following applications on your Windows 7 computer:

- cygwin (www dot cygwin dot com)
- Android Debug Bridge (ADB) - this comes with the android SDK
- Android USB Drivers - this comes with the android SDK

-- (WOQ) stands for without quotes, it means that I am giving you something between quotes to copy and paste.
-- if you see <some_odd_name> inside quotes, it means you MUST replace this with something from your specific OS instance (e.g. a drive letter, or something)

Baka no Kami

Jul 22, 2006
Quick list of a few apks I tried out.

Working
A few that others had tried, Angry Birds, Dolphin browser, Astro for file management.
Cubed music player (works but seems not to detect music on the internal memory, only the microsd)
DropBox
gReader
LastPass (password management)
VLC Stream and Convert
AndroMote
Transdroid
XBMC Remote

Not working
androidVNC (no icon ever showed up)
Remote RDP (Opens, but the menu button drops you back to the home screen)
The Android nook app (I figured a picture of the nook running the nook app would be funny, but it never opens)

Also, a quick warning. At one point when playing around I had an issue where the home screen would crash and refresh constantly. The only thing that fixed it was a wipe, and then I had to root again (although it went much faster the 2nd time around). I'm not 100% sure but I think what started off the home screen problem was doing an "adb reboot" instead of using the power button on the nook.

Kelvala

Nov 9, 2009
Baka, nice list. If I was you, I would start a thread of working/not working.

Edit..whoops, already there..man you all are fast!

axe2

Dec 15, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Gapps login

Did anyone solve the gapps login over Wifi issue yet? I saw discussion of it on IRC last night, but wasn't able to follow it to conclusion...

sudermatt

Nov 26, 2003
thousand oaks
would a partitioned sd card prevent this from working?

I haven't been able to get it to work and then realized my sd card probably is partitioned....read something about departitioning a card....

brazimus

Jun 8, 2010
Richmond, VA
brazism.com
RadioTime: Works Beautifully

Just wanted to add to the "this works too" list, adding RadioTime to the list. Installed it last night, and the streaming quality was excellent, and the speaker even sounded pretty decent.

Nice job all around on the hardware - at least, my unit.

sudermatt

Nov 26, 2003
thousand oaks
This whole thread has been moved to the Nook Color Board on xda....

There are many other threads on the board dealing with different topics....look at the top of this page and you'll see the world of Nook Color! or at least how to get there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_8539.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8540.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8541.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8542.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8543.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8544.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8545.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8546.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8547.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8550.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8551.JPG

<br>

ok guys. this is the underside of the board. i took a ton of pictures. i put my NC bac together. still working as it should :)

hope this little contribution helps. im quite excited for android 2.2 on my nook. this device "feels" very well built, and its really the size i want. now we just need a real andoid experience and ill be one happy nook color owner.

let me know if we need any more photos or close ups, i can borrow a macro lens if wee need photos of something really close up
    Nova: Google nookdevs they have a website that has a step by step guide for windows linux and mac that is a product of this monstrous thread and work done apart from xda. I know this thread is a beast.
    [15:47] <[mbm]> ooh .. a reboot later and I have angry birds
    [15:48] <[mbm]> no xml edit needed
    [15:48] <tenequalstwo> I'm jealous....
    [15:48] <[mbm]> and it runs
    oooooooooooooooooooh!
    IMG_8528.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8529.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8530.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8531.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8532.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8533.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8534.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8535.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8536.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8537.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8538.JPG

<br>
    builing an MLO file ?

pokey and i have reached a consensus and im sure occip agrees although i havent spoken with him about it yet. that weve reached an impass at the moment and will have to wait on b&n to release their source code. from what weve found at the moment to do what we plan without source would require us to stumble down a blind maze and hope to find our way through. hopefully with a little patience b&n will release for the nc the way they did for the original nooks where they give full source including bootloaders, and then itll be easy street for us to either create our own roms or port an existing rom i.e. cyanogenmod.

in the meantime, if everybody could continue just testing whatever they can think of, and continue posting any ideas or what you find here or on #nookdevs we can keep this going as quickly and smoothly as it has went so far!

remember every little bit helps even if you think it may be useless we can still try to use it!!

I don't agree completly with you. We can experiment few things and develop some POCs like ... The MLO must fit in the 64k sram of the omap3621. We can do a lot a things within 64k like initialise the musb and send the emmc content through it. I'm working to customize my MLO file (from igep 020 card which is a very good one !) after success I will able to compile the same file for NC. Now my NC is somewhere between Los Angeles and Europe :) I hope to receive it soon ...

Cheers

Occip