[Q] Nook Color Root?

Search This thread

moovius

Sep 21, 2007
I'm having the same problem with my Win7 desktop. Installed the SDK on my laptop, downloaded the google_drivers v4, added the requisite lines to the google-usb_driver/android_winusb.inf and it works.

I doubt the google drivers are the issue - I think it may have something to do with the raw USB device itself. Dunno.

Either way, try another PC and report back.

Tried my netbook, which has win 7 64 bit on that also... same result.

I'm hoping for a packaged root program or a step-by-step LiveCD guide at this point.

ruze

Mar 26, 2009
Is there a way to find out the version of ROM/bootloader on the device? If B&N updated it over the weekend to fix the hole how can we tell?

ruze

Mar 26, 2009
Ok got it working amazingly. I uninstalled the driver (Android ADB Interface) and checked the delete files option. When I rescanned it found it and installed the correct drivers under W7. No idea about Mac and YMMV.

droidseban

Dec 5, 2010
Anyone that has used a Live CD to perform the root from linux:

Please explain how I would install the android sdk to the Live CD so I can root my NC?

I'm tired of playing around with the Windows 7 install instructions. I get nothing but frustration out of it.

Thank you.

I used the Linux Live CD to just get the image into the SD card. The rest of the steps were done in Win 7. Main reason I used Linux was because winimage didn't work for me in Win 7. Also, I used the nooter1 image with the usb drivers version 2 - it shows the devices slightly differently. Make sure when you get to the part where you update the drivers under device manager, do it to the one that shows as usb mass storage device and not the "nook" entries.

edison

Jul 21, 2007
Ok got it working amazingly. I uninstalled the driver (Android ADB Interface) and checked the delete files option. When I rescanned it found it and installed the correct drivers under W7. No idea about Mac and YMMV.

Did you have an 'Android Composite ADB Interface' root device or was it under 'Android Phone'?

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers about 10 times, with no success. My NC's obviously rooted since it shows up on my laptop and I can sideload from there, but I'm stumped as to why it's not working from my PC.

jed394

Oct 21, 2010
2.2 update

Just a heads up. I bought my nook last night and I of course told the kiosk guy that i was goign to root it. he told me he was going to root his as well, but the also said that B&N was going to release a 2.2 update sometime in January. Who knows if thats true but a little FYI.

Great job guys on the root!!

Dunkshot32

Dec 7, 2010
Orlando, FL
Just a heads up. I bought my nook last night and I of course told the kiosk guy that i was goign to root it. he told me he was going to root his as well, but the also said that B&N was going to release a 2.2 update sometime in January. Who knows if thats true but a little FYI.

Great job guys on the root!!
I have been told the same and a few other sources also agree. The nook color will be getting android 2.2 early 2011 (january or early febuary were mentioned) and this update will add a B&N specific app store. What this will do to the actual root process I'm not sure, but it seems that every B&N employee is already aware of the ability to root and none seem to perterbed by it. Call me crazy but, I'm sure B&N will make at least a small attempt to patch the hole we're using, but I don't think they really care. I mean, they left it so it booted from SD before internal, that has to say something.

Tapiozona

Dec 8, 2010
Hi all,
I'm having problems with my NC root. I'm using winXP and from what I can tell everything went smooth with the microSD and nooter. My problem is with the ADB part. I added the drivers and when I go back to device manager I see "Android Phone" and under that "Android ADB Interface". According to the walkthrough it should be "ADB Composite device".

I figured it was the same thing but when I went to verify if everything worked by doing this...
1. Start > run > cmd
2. cd androidsdk\tools
3. adb kill-server
4. adb devices

I run into issues. Mainly there is no androidsdk\tools folder in \Documents and Settings\<MyUserName>. There's only a .android folder and no tools folder in there. There is however a androidsdk folder in root C: but then I have to go through \android-sdk-windows\ to find a tools folder. There's no adb in there and "adb kill-server" only gets me a

"adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Any help would be much appreciated. This is my first try rooting anything and I'm not 100% comfortable in this type of environment. Sorry if my problem's description doesn't make sense..hard for me to describe.

califrag

Mar 14, 2009
Hi all,
I'm having problems with my NC root. I'm using winXP and from what I can tell everything went smooth with the microSD and nooter. My problem is with the ADB part. I added the drivers and when I go back to device manager I see "Android Phone" and under that "Android ADB Interface". According to the walkthrough it should be "ADB Composite device".

I figured it was the same thing but when I went to verify if everything worked by doing this...
1. Start > run > cmd
2. cd androidsdk\tools
3. adb kill-server
4. adb devices

I run into issues. Mainly there is no androidsdk\tools folder in \Documents and Settings\<MyUserName>. There's only a .android folder and no tools folder in there. There is however a androidsdk folder in root C: but then I have to go through \android-sdk-windows\ to find a tools folder. There's no adb in there and "adb kill-server" only gets me a

"adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Any help would be much appreciated. This is my first try rooting anything and I'm not 100% comfortable in this type of environment. Sorry if my problem's description doesn't make sense..hard for me to describe.

start>right click 'my computer', properties (if you are on windows 7, click 'Advanced system properties' on the left)
click 'Advanced' tab
click 'Environment Variables'
Under 'System Variables' scroll down to 'PATH' and double click it
go to the end of 'Variable Value' and add ";C:\androidsdk\tools\"
(without the "s)

reboot your computer, should work now

Tapiozona

Dec 8, 2010
That folder doesn't exist (c:\androidsdk\tools\) but I did find adb.exe here instead....

C:\androidsdk\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

and when I killed server and did "adb devices" I got this...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

However my NC isn't listed..it's just blank. Linux, however, was able to recognize it with the serial number...just not windows.

Last edited:

dirtygreek

Nov 18, 2010
Well, keep in mind B&N didn't actually build the devices, a third party did. That third party may not care if it's rootable, but B&N may. We'll see. Now they know about this (they may not have even been aware of the possibility) they may ask the builders to try and block it.

glacon

Sep 3, 2010
Firmware Update

I have a Nook Color with major flicker issues.

Tried to change it out, but the three I opened in the store all had dead pixels, so did their display model all in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Would be covered up by the black menu bar normally, but visible when the black menu bar goes away.

Anyway I kept my flickering nook, and talked to someone at Barnes and Noble tech support while still in the store. He told me the dead pixels were new to him, but they knew about screen flicker issues. He said they would be releasing a firmware update to address this and other problems very soon.

My guess is they will remove root and patch the way of doing it with the update.

jsmith.nook

Dec 6, 2010
1. Plug in your NC
2. Go into Windows Device Manager
3. Right-click on the NC
4. Select UNINSTALL
5. Check "Delete the driver software for this device"
6. Click okay.
7. Select "Scan for hardware changes" from the ACTION menu
8. It should find and install the NC device drivers
9. Try ADB again
9a. adb kill-server
9b. adb devices

I had to do this on one Win7 box to get it to work. I've heard from others that this got their NC working with ADB under Win7.

That folder doesn't exist (c:\androidsdk\tools\) but I did find adb.exe here instead....

C:\androidsdk\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

and when I killed server and did "adb devices" I got this...

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

However my NC isn't listed..it's just blank. Linux, however, was able to recognize it with the serial number...just not windows.

edison

Jul 21, 2007
1. Plug in your NC
3. Right-click on the NC
4. Select UNINSTALL
6. Click okay.
9. Try ADB again
9a. adb kill-server
9b. adb devices

I had to do this on one Win7 box to get it to work. I've heard from others that this got their NC working with ADB under Win7.

Just for clarification, in Step 8 you have to point the driver installer wizard to your usb_drivers folder, right? It doesn't automatically find the drivers that you deleted in Step 5, does it?

And which NC device did you delete in Step 3-4? The "Nook" device with the warning icon, or the "USB Composite ADB Device" under "Android Phone" or one of the other devices with the NC's ID (0x2080)?

sipdrone

Aug 27, 2010
One thing I found was that the NookDevs tutorial told you to download the folder named adb_usb (contains the .ini file) and place it in your c:/users/<name> directory. On my system (Vista) I had to extract the .ini file and place it in the existing .android folder. So for clarification the .ini file must be in c:/users/<name>/.android/adb_usb.ini, not in c:/users/<name>/adb_usb/.android/adb_usb.ini

that fixed my issue when I couldn't see the device under adb

mad5427

Nov 29, 2010
Something is really messed for me right now.

I rooted a while back, loaded a bunch of stuff, installed superuser, live wallpapers. Something went wrong somewhere and the machine just wasn't working quite right. I flashed back to the original software. Back to square one.

I rooted again and everything seems just fine. I tried to enable app install from on-device methed. I can't seem to get the line: update secure set value=1..... to work. I figured I'd redo the adb steps and see if that somehow fixes it. Redownloaded the necessary files and did that process. I have adb access now, but something is weird.

I gave up on enabling the apk install and tried to enable live wallpapers. Now, when I type: adb shell it used to go to the next command line and show a #

Now that next line shows a $

It won't allow me to mount -o remount. Something is just not working right and I have no idea what I did. Any ideas.

zdrifter

Aug 31, 2010
Jupiter, Fl
Just for clarification, in Step 8 you have to point the driver installer wizard to your usb_drivers folder, right? It doesn't automatically find the drivers that you deleted in Step 5, does it?

And which NC device did you delete in Step 3-4? The "Nook" device with the warning icon, or the "USB Composite ADB Device" under "Android Phone" or one of the other devices with the NC's ID (0x2080)?
With NC connected, delete "USB Composite ADB Device", disconnect NC being sure to use the correct process to disconnect a USB device, wait a minute of so, connect the NC and you should see all the devices as windows scans and installs them and ADB should work.

jsmith.nook

Dec 6, 2010

In step 8 you probably won't have to point the driver installer wizard to your usb_drivers folder. In every instance I've had to or I've heard of others doing this Windows finds the drivers on its own even after the uninstall.

Uninstall the "USB Composite ADB Device" under "Android Phone"

pandarus

Feb 16, 2010
It seems that I got the things done.
There are several misleading information in here: nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB
For windows in step 7, it says that:
Now, verify that everything worked:
Start > run > cmd
cd android-sdk-windows\tools -------sometimes if you input cmd and enter, it does come up with C:\users\XXX(your account name)
in this case, you need to type cd\ to return to C: then you could type cd android-sdk-windows\tools

I also find that the adb.exe is located in platform-tools folder instead of tools. You can check the android-sdk_r08-windows.zip file. So, in that case, you should type cd android-sdk-windows\platform-tools, right?
adb kill-server
adb devices

I hope it will helps.

Last edited:

Tapiozona

Dec 8, 2010
1. Plug in your NC
3. Right-click on the NC
4. Select UNINSTALL
6. Click okay.
9. Try ADB again
9a. adb kill-server
9b. adb devices

Awesome, this worked. Only change I had to make to your instructions was point out where the driver was. Thanks a ton for the help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_8539.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8540.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8541.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8542.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8543.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8544.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8545.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8546.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8547.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8550.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8551.JPG

<br>

ok guys. this is the underside of the board. i took a ton of pictures. i put my NC bac together. still working as it should :)

hope this little contribution helps. im quite excited for android 2.2 on my nook. this device "feels" very well built, and its really the size i want. now we just need a real andoid experience and ill be one happy nook color owner.

let me know if we need any more photos or close ups, i can borrow a macro lens if wee need photos of something really close up
    Nova: Google nookdevs they have a website that has a step by step guide for windows linux and mac that is a product of this monstrous thread and work done apart from xda. I know this thread is a beast.
    [15:47] <[mbm]> ooh .. a reboot later and I have angry birds
    [15:48] <[mbm]> no xml edit needed
    [15:48] <tenequalstwo> I'm jealous....
    [15:48] <[mbm]> and it runs
    oooooooooooooooooooh!
    IMG_8528.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8529.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8530.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8531.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8532.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8533.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8534.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8535.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8536.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8537.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8538.JPG

<br>
    builing an MLO file ?

pokey and i have reached a consensus and im sure occip agrees although i havent spoken with him about it yet. that weve reached an impass at the moment and will have to wait on b&n to release their source code. from what weve found at the moment to do what we plan without source would require us to stumble down a blind maze and hope to find our way through. hopefully with a little patience b&n will release for the nc the way they did for the original nooks where they give full source including bootloaders, and then itll be easy street for us to either create our own roms or port an existing rom i.e. cyanogenmod.

in the meantime, if everybody could continue just testing whatever they can think of, and continue posting any ideas or what you find here or on #nookdevs we can keep this going as quickly and smoothly as it has went so far!

remember every little bit helps even if you think it may be useless we can still try to use it!!

I don't agree completly with you. We can experiment few things and develop some POCs like ... The MLO must fit in the 64k sram of the omap3621. We can do a lot a things within 64k like initialise the musb and send the emmc content through it. I'm working to customize my MLO file (from igep 020 card which is a very good one !) after success I will able to compile the same file for NC. Now my NC is somewhere between Los Angeles and Europe :) I hope to receive it soon ...

Cheers

Occip