• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Nook Color Root?

Search This thread

whgarner

Dec 25, 2009
needs a rom bible post

needs a rom bible post even though no roms yet, it should be flag by the administrator so it does not end up on the bottom of the pile and probably should include links to adb install, linux root, osx root, windows root and etc as needed.
bg

nikolag

May 18, 2007
Problem rooting the NC

Hi guys,

I am having an issue with the root procedure. When I plug-in the USB cable the Nook just boots normal. It does not appear to be booting from the SD card. I have imaged the card from Winimage, from Ubuntu and even from Nokia N900 and it just does not make any difference. :( Has anyone experienced this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Tapiozona

Dec 8, 2010
I think I read somewhere in this thread that the size of the SD card could be the problem (newer, larger ones, being the ones which didnt work) I went and bought a generic, cheapo 2gb card for 10 bucks at Best Buy (PNY i think) and used winimage to flash it onto that. Worked like a charm.

I also had problems because I skimmed the directions and tried writing the image a different way..make sure you...
"Click on disk menu and select "restore virtual hard disk image".

redbluff

Feb 2, 2006
ADB Help Please

I have the Nook rooted. But I can't get ADB drivers right. I followed the guide posted on Nookdev and even did it twice. After completing it still can't identify the device even though under device manager in Windows XP I see Android phone and ADB Composite. Properties show it as the Nook with serial number and 0x2080. But if I test with type command the response on the adb_usb.ini says:

#android third party USB vendor ID List -- Do not edit

# Use Android update ADB to generate

#1 USB vendor ID per line

Any ideas?

jpl605615

Nov 29, 2010
there is an apk some where in this thread that will allow you to drag and drop apps. no editing needed. its called APK0.3.0. maybe that will help. saves me alot of time

Dunkshot32

Dec 7, 2010
Orlando, FL
I have the Nook rooted. But I can't get ADB drivers right. I followed the guide posted on Nookdev and even did it twice. After completing it still can't identify the device even though under device manager in Windows XP I see Android phone and ADB Composite. Properties show it as the Nook with serial number and 0x2080. But if I test with type command the response on the adb_usb.ini says:

#android third party USB vendor ID List -- Do not edit

# Use Android update ADB to generate

#1 USB vendor ID per line

Any ideas?
bellow those lines it should say "0x2080"
if you have that it should work

Edit: In notepad edit the .ini file so that it reads only "0x2080" minus the quotes. Try again. I got stuck and had to uninstall the android ADB interface.. as soon as I plugged the nook back in it worked, so go figure.

Last edited:

Robertjm

Dec 24, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Grumble! Grumble! Grumble! I wish I'd known that.

The only microSD I have at the house is a 16gb mSDHC card. It did the same thing, booting normally.

I think I read somewhere in this thread that the size of the SD card could be the problem (newer, larger ones, being the ones which didnt work) I went and bought a generic, cheapo 2gb card for 10 bucks at Best Buy (PNY i think) and used winimage to flash it onto that. Worked like a charm.

I also had problems because I skimmed the directions and tried writing the image a different way..make sure you...
"Click on disk menu and select "restore virtual hard disk image".

TainT

Aug 27, 2007
A Desert ****Hole
and I thought the drivers where the hard part??

Ola Fellas
Before I head over to the ADB for dummies thread (which 2 years ago was as long as this one )

I was wondering if someone would point a brother to a "what to do when this happens" thread.

I`m running Windows 7 64 bit.
Got Adb installed and all edited up and all the checks pass. (using a combo of the xda-dev process and the windows 7 process in another thred)

Used WinImage to write by boot image on the card. (i also BELIEVE this worked correctly)

I see an adroid phone and adb composite device in my device manager.
But now when I go to do this.....

cd\
cd android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
adb kill-server
adb devices
I get and adb kill-server is not a recognized exe or batch file.

How couldnt adb be installed though....I see it??
Preciate chas in advance :thumbsup:

jamesbra

Oct 2, 2010
Ola Fellas
Before I head over to the ADB for dummies thread (which 2 years ago was as long as this one )

I was wondering if someone would point a brother to a "what to do when this happens" thread.

I`m running Windows 7 64 bit.
Got Adb installed and all edited up and all the checks pass. (using a combo of the xda-dev process and the windows 7 process in another thred)

Used WinImage to write by boot image on the card. (i also BELIEVE this worked correctly)

I see an adroid phone and adb composite device in my device manager.
But now when I go to do this.....

cd\
cd android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
adb kill-server
adb devices
I get and adb kill-server is not a recognized exe or batch file.

How couldnt adb be installed though....I see it??
Preciate chas in advance :thumbsup:

if you can see adb.exe in that folder than your problem is probably one of syntax, if you keep having the problem try copy and pasting the exact log.

Reactions: TainT

rad131304

Dec 1, 2010
Hi guys,

I am having an issue with the root procedure. When I plug-in the USB cable the Nook just boots normal. It does not appear to be booting from the SD card. I have imaged the card from Winimage, from Ubuntu and even from Nokia N900 and it just does not make any difference. :( Has anyone experienced this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

It is likely that you are imaging into a partition and not the root of the disk. For example, the following pseudocode is correct:

Code:
dd if=nooter_40mb.img of=/dev/sdc

Whereas the following pseudocode is incorrect:
Code:
dd if=nooter_40mb.img of=/dev/sdc0

Note the number at the end of the outfile position. This indicates targeting a partition instead of the root of the disk.

I'm only SWAGing here, but that's the most common issue. Others have had problems with imaging when the card reader is not on the main usb hub (i.e. you are plugged into a combo card reader or usb port on the front of the pc which can be on a different ?system bus? [I don't know the correct hardware term]), but I don't know if these problems were limited to Windows.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using XDA app

Reactions: Robertjm

TH513

Dec 13, 2010
I am having trouble just getting the color nook to even be recoginized by by Windows 7. I tried it on 3 different machines. It does not show up in the device manager, drives, or anywhere. It works fine, I just cannot get a computer to recognize it. I have tried resetting back to factory defaults and reflashing with no luck. The only thing I have done this far is try to boot the image file off the microSD card to the black screen. Any ideas?

Robertjm

Dec 24, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
THANKS rad131304!!

This is exactly what I'm doing. I have a 50-in-One card reader and the microSD is the only card I have in the reader. It's hooked up to one of my front USB ports.

(using Ubuntu Lucid Lynx)
I go to System --> Administration --> Disk Utility

The card reader I have has four "buses" one of which is called CardReader SD. Each of the different buses has a different letter (sdc, sdd, etc.).

When I click on the SD bus at the top it tells me the device is /dev/sdf. However, when I look at the Volumes section, it tells me the device is /dev/sdf1.

1124323495_8Cwo9-L.png

I noticed that this time, when I just used sdf I got a response in my terminal, which I didn't get the last time.

nooter$ sudo dd if=nooter_sdcard_40mb.img of=/dev/sdf
[sudo] password for robertjm:
80326+0 records in
80326+0 records out
41126912 bytes (41 MB) copied, 18.8246 s, 2.2 MB/s

Hope that helps others!

Robert
-------------------------------

It is likely that you are imaging into a partition and not the root of the disk. For example, the following pseudocode is correct:

Code:
dd if=nooter_40mb.img of=/dev/sdc

Whereas the following pseudocode is incorrect:
Code:
dd if=nooter_40mb.img of=/dev/sdc0

Note the number at the end of the outfile position. This indicates targeting a partition instead of the root of the disk.

I'm only SWAGing here, but that's the most common issue. Others have had problems with imaging when the card reader is not on the main usb hub (i.e. you are plugged into a combo card reader or usb port on the front of the pc which can be on a different ?system bus? [I don't know the correct hardware term]), but I don't know if these problems were limited to Windows.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using XDA app

rad131304

Dec 1, 2010
I am having trouble just getting the color nook to even be recoginized by by Windows 7. I tried it on 3 different machines. It does not show up in the device manager, drives, or anywhere. It works fine, I just cannot get a computer to recognize it. I have tried resetting back to factory defaults and reflashing with no luck. The only thing I have done this far is try to boot the image file off the microSD card to the black screen. Any ideas?

Have you tried to force them to find new hardware?

in compmgmt.msc, click on Device Manager
at the root in the pane to the left, right click on one of the items and select "Scan for hardware changes"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_8539.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8540.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8541.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8542.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8543.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8544.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8545.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8546.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8547.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8550.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8551.JPG

<br>

ok guys. this is the underside of the board. i took a ton of pictures. i put my NC bac together. still working as it should :)

hope this little contribution helps. im quite excited for android 2.2 on my nook. this device "feels" very well built, and its really the size i want. now we just need a real andoid experience and ill be one happy nook color owner.

let me know if we need any more photos or close ups, i can borrow a macro lens if wee need photos of something really close up
    Nova: Google nookdevs they have a website that has a step by step guide for windows linux and mac that is a product of this monstrous thread and work done apart from xda. I know this thread is a beast.
    [15:47] <[mbm]> ooh .. a reboot later and I have angry birds
    [15:48] <[mbm]> no xml edit needed
    [15:48] <tenequalstwo> I'm jealous....
    [15:48] <[mbm]> and it runs
    oooooooooooooooooooh!
    IMG_8528.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8529.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8530.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8531.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8532.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8533.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8534.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8535.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8536.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8537.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8538.JPG

<br>
    builing an MLO file ?

pokey and i have reached a consensus and im sure occip agrees although i havent spoken with him about it yet. that weve reached an impass at the moment and will have to wait on b&n to release their source code. from what weve found at the moment to do what we plan without source would require us to stumble down a blind maze and hope to find our way through. hopefully with a little patience b&n will release for the nc the way they did for the original nooks where they give full source including bootloaders, and then itll be easy street for us to either create our own roms or port an existing rom i.e. cyanogenmod.

in the meantime, if everybody could continue just testing whatever they can think of, and continue posting any ideas or what you find here or on #nookdevs we can keep this going as quickly and smoothly as it has went so far!

remember every little bit helps even if you think it may be useless we can still try to use it!!

I don't agree completly with you. We can experiment few things and develop some POCs like ... The MLO must fit in the 64k sram of the omap3621. We can do a lot a things within 64k like initialise the musb and send the emmc content through it. I'm working to customize my MLO file (from igep 020 card which is a very good one !) after success I will able to compile the same file for NC. Now my NC is somewhere between Los Angeles and Europe :) I hope to receive it soon ...

Cheers

Occip