• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Nova Launcher. Battery life hit?

Search This thread

Arthur Hucksake

Mar 8, 2010
Nottingham
Anyone notice a considerable battery life hit using Nova launcher?

I'm just failing to see how anyone can quote 9hrs life web browsing, more realistically its 5 or 6 tops usage.

Is that down to using Nova launcher or is that just how it is with the Nex 7?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

bomp306

Feb 1, 2012
I think it uses about 3% looking at my stats

I was getting 9hours battery life, however after recently installing CM10 Kang rom is now get between 12 and 13 hours.

sway40

Jul 11, 2009
Houston Tx
nova wouldn't be a noticeable hit on battery, I can get over 2 days on battery with 6hrs screen on time, I use nova on phone and tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7

nooomoto

Sep 22, 2010
Miami, FL
I'm using nova launcher and I don't have battery issues. I gene really get 2-3 days out of a charge

hafai

Jan 12, 2011
I have 5 hours of screen on, enough left for probably another 2 hours, and Nova Launcher isn't even listed as it has used so little. Far more has been used by games. It wasn't listed even after an hour or so of setting up my screens and widgets, which required a lot of testing and fiddling around in Nova.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

r0zj0k3r

Jul 3, 2012
The middle of the ocean
Im using nova and typically get about 6 hours of web browing(judged by screen on time). Nova never shows up on my battery usage list so it's not much of a hit for me. I am just unimpressed with the battery life . Google couldn't just come out and say 6 hours, so they lied and said 10 while web browsing? I have yet to see anyone besides cnet say they got 10 hours of on time with one charge. I would like to see some more people get stirred up about this. Apple managed to put out a device that can do 10 hours of true web browsing. So it can be done.

I'm using a cm10 kang build as well. Maybe I will go back to stock for a few days just to see....

drewd

Aug 10, 2006
Idaho, USA
Nova doesn't even show up on my battery use. I use my Nexus 7 for reading ebooks, probably about 80% of the time, on battery. I figure that I can go around 12 hours before I need to start looking for a plug in.

CharliesTheMan

Just unlucky I guess. I'll never see six hours screen time with any launcher. Doh

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Is your nexus stock unrooted?

Are you using widgets, live widgets, live wallpaper, or any kind of battery saving or task managers/automated app killers? Is your GPS enabled? Have you tried turning off sync services that you don't need, disabling GPS and location services when you aren't using them, or turning off screen transitions and animations?

Last edited:

r0zj0k3r

Jul 3, 2012
The middle of the ocean
Nova doesn't even show up on my battery use. I use my Nexus 7 for reading ebooks, probably about 80% of the time, on battery. I figure that I can go around 12 hours before I need to start looking for a plug in.

True, I see about the same with mine, but Wifi is off, and Google claims 10 hours of browsing. I would even settle for 8 hours at this point. Still need to just try stock i guess. Bored today so I Will try it out.

Cybermancer

Aug 9, 2012
Anyone notice a considerable battery life hit using Nova launcher?

I'm just failing to see how anyone can quote 9hrs life web browsing, more realistically its 5 or 6 tops usage.

Is that down to using Nova launcher or is that just how it is with the Nex 7?
Most likely your battery drain is not caused by Nova Launcher.

Did you look into any of these suggestions?
(...) Are you using widgets, live widgets, live wallpaper, or any kind of battery saving or task managers/automated app killers? Is your GPS enabled? Have you tried turning off sync services that you don't need, disabling GPS and location services when you aren't using them, or turning off screen transitions and animations?
I had some pretty bad battery drain too, until a few days ago I figured out that it was caused by Google's location service being on, preventing the CPU from going into deep-sleep mode.

Try this, Arthur Hucksake:
1. Go into the settings => Location services => turn all three options (Google's location service, GPS sattelites, Location & Google search) off
2. Go into the settings => Wi-Fi => Menu (the three dots) => Advanced => Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep => Only when plugged in
3. Go into the settings of each widget (or its corresponding app) and change the update interval to the bare minimum or to manual, so that the widget/app doesn't continuously update itself.

=> The above settings help to make sure that the CPU can switch into deep-sleep mode when the screen is off and the tablet in standby mode. Otherwise continuous updates/checks of an app would prevent the deep-sleep mode and hence cause battery drain.

=> Useful apps to find out which apps are causing battery drain and whether the CPU can switch into deep-sleep mode are:
- CPU Spy
- Better Battery Stats

r0zj0k3r

Jul 3, 2012
The middle of the ocean
True, I see about the same with mine, but Wifi is off, and Google claims 10 hours of browsing. I would even settle for 8 hours at this point. Still need to just try stock i guess. Bored today so I Will try it out.

Gave my rooted Stock Nexus a try, not much better, I barely got 7.5 hours of browsing, a little bit of flash player and maybe 30 minutes of HW decoded HD video. Pretty crappy if you ask me. I mean I drained this down to 1% from 100%. Used some of the apps suggested here and nothing really jumps out as a culprit, just looks like bad power management or bad battery to me.

eric0668

Dec 6, 2006
nova on htc one

Im using nova and typically get about 6 hours of web browing(judged by screen on time). Nova never shows up on my battery usage list so it's not much of a hit for me. I am just unimpressed with the battery life . Google couldn't just come out and say 6 hours, so they lied and said 10 while web browsing? I have yet to see anyone besides cnet say they got 10 hours of on time with one charge. I would like to see some more people get stirred up about this. Apple managed to put out a device that can do 10 hours of true web browsing. So it can be done.

I'm using a cm10 kang build as well. Maybe I will go back to stock for a few days just to see....

Speaking of Nova. On my 2 day old HTC One, which ibwant to keep and not return for the S4, it lists Nova as number 1. Taking up 40% of battery usage (not sure of your terminology)

Anyone have any clue for me. I liked Apex and someone said they got better results. For me, Apex has been lagging and for some reason it won't take a Jorte widget.

what's worse when plugged in, every phone in the past has charged while being used plugged in. This doesn't move AT ALL and even goes down a point or 2 every so often.

Thanks in advance for any help

najaboy

May 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
Speaking of Nova. On my 2 day old HTC One, which ibwant to keep and not return for the S4, it lists Nova as number 1. Taking up 40% of battery usage (not sure of your terminology)

Anyone have any clue for me. I liked Apex and someone said they got better results. For me, Apex has been lagging and for some reason it won't take a Jorte widget.

what's worse when plugged in, every phone in the past has charged while being used plugged in. This doesn't move AT ALL and even goes down a point or 2 every so often.

Thanks in advance for any help

You have a few things going on. First, you revived and hijacked a zombie. Second, you're in the wrong device-specific forum. Third, when you post your issue in the correct device-specific forum, you may want to give folks some more info to go on such as what you're using to charge your phone and if it's indicating that it's charging on AC or USB.

eric0668

Dec 6, 2006
Real Helpful

Not really feeling good about "wger I am". If you don't have anything to help, say nothing. Would have been better to leave a note in here for the mod to move this.

Enjoy your day
You have a few things going on. First, you revived and hijacked a zombie. Second, you're in the wrong device-specific forum. Third, when you post your issue in the correct device-specific forum, you may want to give folks some more info to go on such as what you're using to charge your phone and if it's indicating that it's charging on AC or USB.

najaboy

May 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
QUOTE=eric0668;40962464]Not really feeling good about "wger I am". If you don't have anything to help, say nothing. Would have been better to leave a note in here for the mod to move this.

Enjoy your day[/QUOTE]

You were given constructive advice on how to succeed in your query. You were helped by being pointed in the right direction and informed that you will need to provide more info once you get there. You're set for success, but whether or not you choose to follow it through is entirely up to you.

It is a fact that a very small subset of users in this sub-forum have any first-hand experience with the HTC One and that your odds of getting the answer you seek is exponentially higher in that device's sub-forum. Likewise, it also holds true that, in order to receive an accurate answer to your issue, you'll need to provide more info. Think of it as being akin to walking into a doctor's office and proclaiming "I'm sick" without providing any other information. In order to treat you, he/she also needs to know relevant info, such as what symptoms you're experiencing. The same holds true here- in order to accurately address your issue, they're going to need to know relevant info such as what power source you're plugged into and whether your phone indicates it is charging on AC or USB.

And it actually wouldn't have been better to have a mod move it. It's far less cumbersome for all involved if you would simply copy and paste your question as a new thread in the HTC One forum than it would be for someone to report your post, a mod to respond to that report, prune it out of this thread, and then create an entirely new thread in the appropriate forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

eric0668

Dec 6, 2006
QUOTE=eric0668;40962464]Not really feeling good about "wger I am". If you don't have anything to help, say nothing. Would have been better to leave a note in here for the mod to move this.

Enjoy your day
thanks again for all your help. Some might not know what info is needed know I know thanks to you. I use a wall charger. Using Nova launcher.

You were given constructive advice on how to succeed in your query. You were helped by being pointed in the right direction and informed that you will need to provide more info once you get there. You're set for success, but whether or not you choose to follow it through is entirely up to you.

It is a fact that a very small subset of users in this sub-forum have any first-hand experience with the HTC One and that your odds of getting the answer you seek is exponentially higher in that device's sub-forum. Likewise, it also holds true that, in order to receive an accurate answer to your issue, you'll need to provide more info. Think of it as being akin to walking into a doctor's office and proclaiming "I'm sick" without providing any other information. In order to treat you, he/she also needs to know relevant info, such as what symptoms you're experiencing. The same holds true here- in order to accurately address your issue, they're going to need to know relevant info such as what power source you're plugged into and whether your phone indicates it is charging on AC or USB.

And it actually wouldn't have been better to have a mod move it. It's far less cumbersome for all involved if you would simply copy and paste your question as a new thread in the HTC One forum than it would be for someone to report your post, a mod to respond to that report, prune it out of this thread, and then create an entirely new thread in the appropriate forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE]

najaboy

May 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
Since we've already drifted off topic... the cable itself is another possible cause of problems such as yours.

eric0668

Dec 6, 2006
Since we've already drifted off topic... the cable itself is another possible cause of problems such as yours.

Seriously thank u this time. I was told gold plated were better so I.got 2 from Amazon. Then I was told it didn't matter. So in any case maybe I should try the 3' one that came with the phone.

najaboy

May 10, 2010
Melbourne, FL
Seriously thank u this time. I was told gold plated were better so I.got 2 from Amazon. Then I was told it didn't matter. So in any case maybe I should try the 3' one that came with the phone.

Definitely give the original a try. Not all usb cables are created equally. To enable charging at a current higher than 500mA (the usb standard), the power management integrated circuit of the device checks for a short between the d+ and the d- pins. Some oems short the contacts at the charger whereas others short them inside the cable.

Last edited: