[Q] Odys Xelio 10PRO Tablet General Q&A

Search This thread

SnowmanDK

Let's try to keep all Q&A's for this tablet in one thread for now. Wonder if I should drop tips here too?

Autocreates junk files

ONE folder gets filled with junk files which renders the entire tablet almost unusable. I can't even delete the files.
All I can do is to shut down the tablet, connect the SD to a pc and backup all files, EXCEPT the backup folder as it's corrupted.
My tablet is running on Android 4.1.x (it DOES say "x" in the phone info) stock rom with root access.
It's ONLY folders called something with "Backup", like "Backups" and "TitaniumBackup" that have been affected so far.
It's also only the folder with that name on my EXTERNAL SD that's affected.
Several virus scans have been performed which came up clean.
I even wiped the entire unit including System/data/cache, also to no avail.

This issue happens MORE than once per day. The tablet gets very sluggish, and the files are there.
I found out that when I did NOT have a folder with "backup" in it, then it runs for days with no issues.

Note that I also have a phone (LG Optimus 2X) which have NO problems. The phone uses a rooted Android 4.2.2 custom rom.

I attached a dual screenshot showing a clean folder and one full of junk. Note dates for creation.

Anyone have any ideas as to what causes it?

Attachments

• Junk.jpg
    Junk.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,639

zen_phones

Sep 6, 2012
im thinking about buying this tablet. only 79$ from walmart. geez the prices of tablets are sooo cheap now a days.

what did you use/ how did you root this device? also would you say its worth the price given the bad lcd quality? im kidna iffy about it now reading this thread. to the OP i dont get how titanium backup messed everything up? what if you have your backup on external sd card, will that still cause the error?

thanks.

SnowmanDK

im thinking about buying this tablet. only 79$ from walmart. geez the prices of tablets are sooo cheap now a days.

what did you use/ how did you root this device? also would you say its worth the price given the bad lcd quality? im kidna iffy about it now reading this thread. to the OP i dont get how titanium backup messed everything up? what if you have your backup on external sd card, will that still cause the error?

thanks.

Hi

I am sorry that I forgot to link to the root instructions I used.
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/46929-rooting-rk3066-tablets-the-right-way/
This SHOULD work with other RK-chipsets too, according to the author.

As answer to the Titanium Backup issues: I started out by using the external SD card.

Sent from my Xelio10Pro using xda app-developers app

JJudge

Oct 6, 2013
A Wally World Buy...

Hey Folks,
First post here, so go easy on the nuB, OK?! :laugh:

I jumped on the Walmart sale of the XELIO 10.1” Thursday night for $69, and Friday they went up to $99, so I am a happy camper so far. It will be here by next Thursday, & I can not wait! :)

I am also a nuB to tablets & Android, but not to computers & OS's, with Mint Linux 15 being my main OS this year. I have a question for all 2 of you 10.1” XELIO users...

Mine is listed as XELIO P1001A-BK, no Pro in the name, and no Odys in the name, but from what I have read over the last few weeks is that all 3 of these are basically the same thing spec wise, just slightly different names for different areas.

And all 3 have the same praise & the same grips against them...

I am wondering if the same flashing operation carries across all 3 models, or if each one can only be upgraded from it's own propriety OS....I know I have had NO luck finding out ANY real info on mine, with the main CPU being either a Rockchip or Allwinner according to who you ask.

Any way I can tell when I receive the unit, short of opening it up?

Anyway, I will be checking back in on the thread, and hoping to contribute some if I can. :cool:

Dec 2, 2010
I've read elsewhere on the web that the HKC X101 is the same as the ODYS XELIO 10PRO, can anyone confirm that?

OP: After rooting the tablet, what software did you use to flash the new ROM? I usually use TWRP to flash ROMS on my SG3...

SnowmanDK

I've read elsewhere on the web that the HKC X101 is the same as the ODYS XELIO 10PRO, can anyone confirm that?

OP: After rooting the tablet, what software did you use to flash the new ROM? I usually use TWRP to flash ROMS on my SG3...

I just rooted the tablet, but are still using the stock rom. No custom roms exist for these as far as I know.

Dec 2, 2010
I'll try and get CPU-Z on there to see if the specs match up. From what I've read, these two tablets are also the same as the Orange TB1010.

I have 2 "free" HKC variants of this tablet, but they come with 4.0.4 installed, so that's why I'm interested in your stock ROM. I want to upgrade them as much as possible. Pretty "decent" tablets, even if just for eReading purposes. They crapped out as supplemental sales tools for daily use where my uncle works, but he offered them to me if I could make them run better. A major drawback of the current HKC ROM is that I haven't been able to install the Play Store, and the tablets will apparently cease to work after a certain amount of time. Haven't used them long enough to repeat this, but I'll take my uncle's word for it.

After seeing if I can flash these, I'm going to strengthen the charge port connections on the inside, as it tends to struggle to gain a reliable connection. Normally you have to tweak the plug to get it just right.

After I'm done, I'll come back and post my experiences with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

EDIT: Same specs as the ODYS. Also, I apparently have root access.

SnowmanDK, what are you using for recovery?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2010
If you can find cpu z then you should be able to get information similar to what is shown in my two attached screenshot.

Quick question.. Under the Battery tab, what does your tablet report for Health?

Also, have you run into any issues with good connectivity with your charger? Darn thing wasn't designed well for the HKC's, as it's a bit long and spindly.. gives it too much torque.

SnowmanDK

Quick question.. Under the Battery tab, what does your tablet report for Health?

Also, have you run into any issues with good connectivity with your charger? Darn thing wasn't designed well for the HKC's, as it's a bit long and spindly.. gives it too much torque.

Health: Good
Regarding the charger connectivity: I had issues also, but it turned out to be caused by the plug not getting far enough into the tablet.
I fixed it by carefully cutting about 1 millimeter off the plastic on the plug. I hope you understand what I mean. English isn't my native language :p

SnowmanDK, what are you using for recovery?

I just use stock recovery. I tried out the CWM recovery, but it didn't work on my tablet.

YetAnotherForumUser

Oct 31, 2008
Let's try to keep all Q&A's for this tablet in one thread for now. Wonder if I should drop tips here too?

Autocreates junk files

ONE folder gets filled with junk files which renders the entire tablet almost unusable. I can't even delete the files.
All I can do is to shut down the tablet, connect the SD to a pc and backup all files, EXCEPT the backup folder as it's corrupted.
My tablet is running on Android 4.1.x (it DOES say "x" in the phone info) stock rom with root access.
It's ONLY folders called something with "Backup", like "Backups" and "TitaniumBackup" that have been affected so far.
It's also only the folder with that name on my EXTERNAL SD that's affected.
Several virus scans have been performed which came up clean.
I even wiped the entire unit including System/data/cache, also to no avail.

This issue happens MORE than once per day. The tablet gets very sluggish, and the files are there.
I found out that when I did NOT have a folder with "backup" in it, then it runs for days with no issues.

Note that I also have a phone (LG Optimus 2X) which have NO problems. The phone uses a rooted Android 4.2.2 custom rom.

I attached a dual screenshot showing a clean folder and one full of junk. Note dates for creation.

Anyone have any ideas as to what causes it?

This seems to be a common bug on Rockchip hardware: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1673-RockChip-RK30-Common-Bug-External-SDcard-Corruption

Whether it is a hardware or software problem remains to be seen. I don't think the problem is caused by the FAT32 filesystem driver per se, it is more likely the result of something between the filesystem and the card - the mmc driver, possibly power management, etc. The fact that it only occurs with FAT32 is more likely to be caused by that filesystem being the only one accepted - and thus handled - by the sdcard subsystem. It would not surprise me if, after hacking ext4 support into the sdcard subsystem, the bug also occurred there.

SnowmanDK

This seems to be a common bug on Rockchip hardware: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1673-RockChip-RK30-Common-Bug-External-SDcard-Corruption

Whether it is a hardware or software problem remains to be seen. I don't think the problem is caused by the FAT32 filesystem driver per se, it is more likely the result of something between the filesystem and the card - the mmc driver, possibly power management, etc. The fact that it only occurs with FAT32 is more likely to be caused by that filesystem being the only one accepted - and thus handled - by the sdcard subsystem. It would not surprise me if, after hacking ext4 support into the sdcard subsystem, the bug also occurred there.

Well, at the link you posted they point out that the internal SD card is NEVER affected by the corruption.
When I use Titanium Backup Pro WITHOUT any external SD card mounted then the internal gets corrupted.
This forced me to restore to factory default, as the internal SD card became read-only.
In my case this happens ONLY when using Titanium Backup Pro, and ONLY to the SD card I use for backup.
For the last few months I have used the tablet without Titanium Backup Pro installed, and I have had NO corruption issues.

YetAnotherForumUser

Oct 31, 2008
Well, at the link you posted they point out that the internal SD card is NEVER affected by the corruption.
When I use Titanium Backup Pro WITHOUT any external SD card mounted then the internal gets corrupted.
This forced me to restore to factory default, as the internal SD card became read-only.
In my case this happens ONLY when using Titanium Backup Pro, and ONLY to the SD card I use for backup.
For the last few months I have used the tablet without Titanium Backup Pro installed, and I have had NO corruption issues.

I have never used Titanium on this tablet. I have seen loads of corrupted SD cards. This issue is not related to Titanium but to the type of activity Titanium generates.

The internal 'sd card' is not an sd card at all. It is nothing but a partition on internal storage (rk29nand) and as such it is driven through a completely different code path. No hot swap. No SD card timings. No MMC handler. In fact the only thing it has in common - other than the name - is the fact is is formatted with a stone-age file system. Since the internal 'sd card' is not affected by this issue while it does use the same file system, it becomes all the more clear the file system itself is not the culprit.

I currently have the SD card formatted in ext4. No corruption yet.

I think this bug lies somewhere between the SD controller (maybe a timing issue?) and the file system driver, the latter not included.

SnowmanDK

Tablet dead

My tablet just died.
It was the charger plug in the tablet that died at first. A small brass pin broke off so it couldn't charge anymore.
I would have thought they would make that pin spring loaded, but guess not. It was solid. No wonder it broke.

I tried to make an emergency repair, and it actually worked for 2-3 days.
Then the tablet screen started flashing for about 2 days, and started to lock up.
Finally it died so hard I can't even boot it anymore.

Well... Guess I needed a more powerful one anyway ;)

I am gonna unsubscribe from this thread now, as I have nothing more I can give here. But gl. to you all in here :)

maven33

Jan 4, 2014
I have this problem with corrupted and trash files too and gave up using an external sdcard for a long time.

Even at CM10.1 from Crew RKTablets with the original odys kernel it is the same problem.

Another kernel does not exist and the device is ... outdated. :rolleyes:

The extraordinary is, the files are copied correctly to the sd, a few hours later without changing anything, bad and trash files ... ^^