[Q]Okay, so potential stupid question

Search This thread

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
so I odined my vzw note II back to stock using the alt tar package. It booted up fine, but then I rebooted back into recovery (stock android) and stupidly, or curiously... flashed the CWM Touch 6.0.32 recovery image in recovery, it attempted to reboot, but nothing. All I'm getting is a dim red light flashing everytime I try to boot my phone up. I've switched out the battery and still the same. btw, my battery was full when I did this. Potential brick? Or should I try to use a usb jig to get it it to boot back up and go into download mode?

shangrila500

Jan 24, 2010
so I odined my vzw note II back to stock using the alt tar package. It booted up fine, but then I rebooted back into recovery (stock android) and stupidly, or curiously... flashed the CWM Touch 6.0.32 recovery image in recovery, it attempted to reboot, but nothing. All I'm getting is a dim red light flashing everytime I try to boot my phone up. I've switched out the battery and still the same. btw, my battery was full when I did this. Potential brick? Or should I try to use a usb jig to get it it to boot back up and go into download mode?

This is most likely a brick but possibly just a soft brick. I did the same thing on my S3 and was able to get it back up and running using a jig and flashing the stock kernel in Odin.

Can you get to Download mode at all or does it just flash the red LED when you try to boot into recovery? I would at least try the jig before having it JTAG'ed cause there is at least a chance it'll work.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
This is most likely a brick but possibly just a soft brick. I did the same thing on my S3 and was able to get it back up and running using a jig and flashing the stock kernel in Odin.

Can you get to Download mode at all or does it just flash the red LED when you try to boot into recovery? I would at least try the jig before having it JTAG'ed cause there is at least a chance it'll work.

yeah, it doesn't turn on at all. Even being plugged in. It just flashes a red light for like a second and that's it. I can't get it to turn on for the life of me.

edit: any chance I can borrow that jig? lol.

Last edited:

shangrila500

Jan 24, 2010
You sure can, I made it myself. If you have any soldering skills I can send you the instructions if you would rather not wait on it to come thru the mail or if you live in Alabama I will meet you and give it to you.

There is also a page on XDA about USB jigs that has a list of people willing to loan theirs out, there may be one near you if you would rather not wait.

Its easy to make them though, all you have to do is have basic soldering skills, a micro USB end, and a resistor (which I believe was a 300k resistor, its been so long since I made it though the value could be off. I still have the supplies to make 10+ more though so I could look to make sure if you did go the route of making your own).

Either way its up to you, I can send you mine thru the mail or if you're game to build one I can send you the instructions.

Also the jig may not work, it depends on how badly bricked you are, but it worked so me when I did the exact same thing and had the exact same problem on my S3. You may have to get it JTAG'ed though, which I really hope you're able to fix it with a jig.

Last edited:

shangrila500

Jan 24, 2010
I'm going to bite my tongue about you flashing in stock recovery since you have learned your lesson with your situation at hand :D

You can order one from mobiletechvideos.com which is a reputable place. It's only $8. It says galaxy s, but it's listed under note2 products
http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-download-mode-jig/

$8 dollars is a little high seeing as how you can buy then for 5 on Amazon. Considering what goes into it $5 is almost to high.

And biting your tongue about flashing in stock recovery? If it had been the recovery zip he would have been fine, I've even made the mistake of flashing a tar.md5 in my recovery when I knew better simply because I wasnt paying enough attention to it because I wasnt at home and eas downloading it on my phone. It's an easy mistake to make of you're on the move and arent on a computer, especially when considering the TWRP update is either tar.md5 for Odin or a zip for your recovery. I thought I had seen CWM recovery flashable zips around on here but I may have been wrong seeing as how I dont use CWM anymore and dont keep up with it.

Also jigs are fairly easy to make seeing as all you have to have is a micro USB end and a 300k resistor. I bought the micro usb end that came with a shell for a cord and while there is a hole on one end it still looks better than having a hacked wire hanging around.

Last edited:

shangrila500

Jan 24, 2010
Here are some pictures of the one I made. The hole on the end is because the shell was made for a wire to go out to another USB end but I just used the shell for this instead of having a hacked cord lying around or a wire running out of the opening and connecting to the resistor outside of plastic shell. Having the resistor out of the shell would be easier to short circuit whereas it is completely stable in the shell.

The little piece you see in the opening is the very end of the 300k resistor that is covered with heat shrink tubing so none of the metal is exposed. I'd you want to make your own you can follow the instructions from here:

http://galaxys2root.com/galaxy-s2-hacks/how-to-make-a-usb-jig-for-your-galaxy-s2/

The male micro USB ends I used I got off of eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390363690475

They come from China and take a while to get here but you could just as easily get them from Digi Key

Also the 300k resistors I got off of Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/E-Projects-30...1369827313&sr=8-2&keywords=300k+watt+resistor

If you still want to use mine I will send it to you no questions asked, just let me know.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369826540609.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369826540609.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 95
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369826566205.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369826566205.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 100
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369826585087.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369826585087.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Reactions: ztotherad

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
I'm going to bite my tongue about you flashing in stock recovery since you have learned your lesson with your situation at hand :D

You can order one from mobiletechvideos.com which is a reputable place. It's only $8. It says galaxy s, but it's listed under note2 products
http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-download-mode-jig/

lol, what's sad is i should've known not to try it. I'm nit new to android, and that was honestly a stupid noob choice. but thanks! yeah I'm definitely looking into buying one, does anyone know per chance if i need one exactly for the note 2 or can i just buy one for any phone and try it that way?
EDIT: hopefully i can get one for cheap and super quick, i definitely feel naked without a phone on me, lol

EDITdos: and I bought a jig. it should be at my house by friday. at least let's hope it is. I'm ready to get this bad boy back and working again.

Last edited:

shangrila500

Jan 24, 2010
lol, what's sad is i should've known not to try it. I'm nit new to android, and that was honestly a stupid noob choice. but thanks! yeah I'm definitely looking into buying one, does anyone know per chance if i need one exactly for the note 2 or can i just buy one for any phone and try it that way?
EDIT: hopefully i can get one for cheap and super quick, i definitely feel naked without a phone on me, lol

EDITdos: and I bought a jig. it should be at my house by friday. at least let's hope it is. I'm ready to get this bad boy back and working again.

When I was messing with jigs there were a few different ones but as long as it is made for Samsung or works on Samsung products you should be fine.

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
When I was messing with jigs there were a few different ones but as long as it is made for Samsung or works on Samsung products you should be fine.

yeah, I hope to god it works though. Do you know of any JTAG/sd card unbrick for the i605? I emailed the seller about JTAG on the note II and he said it wasn't possible, they're using the sd card method, which I can't seem to find anything on unfortunately.

also, here's what i ordered:

Attachments

• 2013-05-29-185505_1600x900_scrot.jpg
    2013-05-29-185505_1600x900_scrot.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 60

shangrila500

Jan 24, 2010
yeah, I hope to god it works though. Do you know of any JTAG/sd card unbrick for the i605? I emailed the seller about JTAG on the note II and he said it wasn't possible, they're using the sd card method, which I can't seem to find anything on unfortunately.

also, here's what i ordered:

That one should work fine, if it doesnt let me know and I will try to find you one that does.

As for the SD card JTAG I dont think that has worked since the 4.0 update on Samsung phones, I may be wrong on that though because I never messed with it. The only surefire way I know to JTAG a Samsung phone is to either buy a JTAG, which is around $150 and is called a RIFF box, or to send it to MobileTechVideos and get him to do it for $60.

There is a thread on XDA about using an SD card to JTAG an international S3 but im unsure if the software you had to load on the card is out for the Note 2.

The downside to doing it yourself is you have to take the phone apart and solder the wires to the JTAG contacts on the MoBo, on some phones you can make a piece out of breadboard so you dont have to solder the wires to the contact points on the MoBo but I dont know if you can do that with the Note 2.

If you went the route of getting it JTAG'ed you definitely need to send it to MobileTechVideos, he has been doing this for quite a while and is very very good at what he does.

Last edited:

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
That one should work fine, if it doesnt let me know and I will try to find you one that does.

As for the SD card JTAG I dont think that has worked since the 4.0 update on Samsung phones, I may be wrong on that though because I never messed with it. The only surefire way I know to JTAG a Samsung phone is to either buy a JTAG, which is around $150 and is called a RIFF box, or to send it to MobileTechVideos and get him to do it for $60.

There is a thread on XDA about using an SD card to JTAG an international S3 but im unsure if the software you had to load on the card is out for the Note 2.

The downside to doing it yourself is you have to take the phone apart and solder the wires to the JTAG contacts on the MoBo, on some phones you can make a piece out of breadboard so you dont have to solder the wires to the contact points on the MoBo but I dont know if you can do that with the Note 2.

If you went the route of getting it JTAG'ed you definitely need to send it to MobileTechVideos, he has been doing this for quite a while and is very very good at what he does.

Yeah, hopefully I won't have to go that route, but if I do I'm planning on sending it to mobo, and hopefully can get it back rather quickly. Guess we'll find out tomorrow... Which sucks, but what can you do? Hopefully, if you had the same problem on the s3 and a jig worked for you then it'll work for my note 2. Honestly I don't see how the hell flashing a recovery zip in stock recovery could brick me. I've never ever heard of it doing that.

shangrila500

Jan 24, 2010
Yeah, hopefully I won't have to go that route, but if I do I'm planning on sending it to mobo, and hopefully can get it back rather quickly. Guess we'll find out tomorrow... Which sucks, but what can you do? Hopefully, if you had the same problem on the s3 and a jig worked for you then it'll work for my note 2. Honestly I don't see how the hell flashing a recovery zip in stock recovery could brick me. I've never ever heard of it doing that.

Well I flashed the recovery img, that bricked me immediately. I rebooted the recovery and thats when I figured out how bad I screwed up. Hopefully this will work for you, these suckers are hard to hard brick so I'm crossing my fingers that the jig will get you up and running.

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
Well I flashed the recovery img, that bricked me immediately. I rebooted the recovery and thats when I figured out how bad I screwed up. Hopefully this will work for you, these suckers are hard to hard brick so I'm crossing my fingers that the jig will get you up and running.

yeah, hopefully I can get it up and running. because I've honestly tried everything I can think of to revive the damned thing, lol

EDIT: just to update ya'll, got the JTAG today, and it didn't work. It acts like it's trying to work, but doesn't power on the phone just shows the same damned red led light... damn. now I gotta get some jtag work.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are some pictures of the one I made. The hole on the end is because the shell was made for a wire to go out to another USB end but I just used the shell for this instead of having a hacked cord lying around or a wire running out of the opening and connecting to the resistor outside of plastic shell. Having the resistor out of the shell would be easier to short circuit whereas it is completely stable in the shell.

The little piece you see in the opening is the very end of the 300k resistor that is covered with heat shrink tubing so none of the metal is exposed. I'd you want to make your own you can follow the instructions from here:

http://galaxys2root.com/galaxy-s2-hacks/how-to-make-a-usb-jig-for-your-galaxy-s2/

The male micro USB ends I used I got off of eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390363690475

They come from China and take a while to get here but you could just as easily get them from Digi Key

Also the 300k resistors I got off of Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/E-Projects-30...1369827313&sr=8-2&keywords=300k+watt+resistor

If you still want to use mine I will send it to you no questions asked, just let me know.