[Q] Pantech Burst Love, Anyone? Anyone?

Search This thread

jcdeuce

Sep 6, 2010
Houston
I have been trying to figure out how to get into the fastboot mode on this pantech burst, really want to root it and maybe remove some of the stuff locked by AT&T. Anyone else find this phone very usable, like me. I think its a great phone and I have had several android phones in the past 2 years and this is my favorite "stock" firmware but just would like to remove the AT&T bloat.

Reactions: nverpost

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
New to Android here. Got the burst cause salesman said it was newest and best in my range. Well there be a way to root this thing anytime soon? Meaning, what I'd the usual wait time for root after a new device is released? Would I be better off to go back and trade for something else like HTC? Always liked HTC OS on my old win mobile devices. Thanks for reply.

karlnorth

My Pantech Burst bench notes

I have 2 brand new Bursts on my work bench. I've been doing some tinkering with them. Here are a few my bare bone notes so far:

Pantech Burst Model P9070

All of the articles I read said the Burst would ship with 2.3.4. Both of mine have 2.3.5. Last minute update?

According to AT&T the Latest Firmware is JUUS12052011

-----

Pull & reinsert the Battery, then hold Power & Volume Down buttons until a screen with a Triangle with Yellow ! appears. Once this pops up, Press the Menu button to make the Android Recovery <3e> menus appear.

At this point, The volume rockers become the up & down Keys. The Home button is Enter

-----

When you Pull & reinsert the Battery, then press & hold both Volume buttons then press Power - "S/W Upgrading" will appear on the screen

-----

So far ZergRush nor OneClick work to achieve Root.

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Oh, and you can get the Pantech PC Suite which contains the ADB drivers here:

http://c724062.r62.cf2.rackcdn.com/PantechPCSuite_1.0.10.3314.exe

That's taken directly from Pantech's site.
http://www.pantechusa.com/support/burst

Reactions: nverpost

marcusmarcus

Dec 3, 2010
Here is the link to get open source files from Pantech.
http://opensource.pantech.com

I tried to search for Burst but it found nothing. I think the model number of the burst is "P9070". I searched that and found "P9070_Kernel.zip" file. It shows that it's country code is "KOR" and if I try to download it I get an error message
입력 오류입니다. 숫자만 입력 가능합니다.
다시 확인하여 주시기 바랍니다.

I did a google search for "P9070_Kernel.zip" and found http://opensource.pantech.com/model/list.asp?Category=Mobile# This still shows the country as KOR but it will let me download it. Not sure if this will help anyone with rooting or making a custom ROM. I am no programmer so I can't do anything with this file.

Reactions: karlnorth

purvis

Nov 2, 2011
This still shows the country as KOR but it will let me download it. Not sure if this will help anyone with rooting or making a custom ROM. I am no programmer so I can't do anything with this file.[/QUOTE]

The P9060 shown on the site is supposed to be the US version of the Kernel.

jcdeuce

Sep 6, 2010
Houston
Saw this while sitting here at work. wondering if once in the recovery could see the device from ADB.... maybe could even do fastboot oem unlock then work from there... all things to try once I get home...

karlnorth

The "PantechP9070_README.txt" included in what you downloaded clearly shows this is only the Source Code to compile a kernel. It is NOT a flashable Kernel. If you are having problems with your phone, contact Pantech Tech Support. I have spoken with them at length. They are decent people. (Much Much better than they use to be.)

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

That is not the US version of the kernel for this device. It is the US kernel for the Panteck Pocket.
The Burst's model number is P9070
The Pocket's model number is P9060
http://www.pantechusa.com/support/pocket
You can try that kernel on the Burst if you want but it may very well brick the device

There is a downloadable kernel for the US P9070. If you look into the source info it clearly indicates it is for the AT&t Burst P9070.

SHoTT

May 11, 2010
Here's how to get into fastboot:

Install Pantech Drivers, from a command line run:

adb reboot bootloader

Your Burst will reboot and reload into a familiar white screen stating FASTBOOT :)

Now here's something else I figured out... Not quite sure, maybe APX mode?

With the Burst powered off, if USB Debugging is disabled and you plug it into your computer, some useless drivers are enabled (at least for root purposes):

Network Adapters > Pantech Android MDM WWAN
Portable Devices > F:\
Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Pantech Android MDM RMNET Device
Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Pantech Android USB Composite Device

None of these seem too useful for root...

Now boot the Burst, enable USB Debugging, then power down and plug it into your pc again...

In addition to the above, I now have:

Portable Devices > G:\
Android Phone > Pantech Android ADB Interface Ver1

And with that said, I have a working adb connection from a command line without booting into the device...

Also F:\ & G:\ show up in Windows as removable disks, but they cannot be accessed.

Tried to manually push/run GingerBreak, psneuter, and zergRush, so far nothing will root this device :(

escosk8r

Aug 22, 2008
Any updates in progress?

I too am awaiting a strategy for rooting this device but so far, nothing i have tried will work. In order for this to happen, we're going to have to build a custom recovery and/or kernel for this phone and that is not the easiest thing to do lol.... Im currently working on installing my own custom kernel for the Burst so i will keep updates on how that goes and when it will be ready as a flashable .zip package. So far i have foumd the stock kernel pieces wbich now just need to be rebuilt and package into a working kernel with root injected. Im using Sourcery G+ + Lite to build my kernel with the toolchain. If any developers could step forward and help me with this, it would be vreatly appreciated. I have the Toolchain and the kernel.gz file on hand, if anyone is interested in taking a swing at it with me, reply here or drop me a PM.

Reactions: Nsatvara and yadspi

yadspi

Aug 17, 2011
I just want to say that this is an awesome phone with specs on par if not better than the GSII and other high-end phones that's begging for custom ROMs. It came out a couple of months ago and still NOBODY in the whole internet (Google at least lol) seems to be doing anything on it, I can't even fond stock FWs or official flashing tools...I'm a sad panda :mad:

theandre

Mar 14, 2011
I bought it yesterday for 200$ brand new and no commitment. I think this is a sick price for a dual core Android phone.

As for the rooting, I am willing to help you guys work on root. What kind of things should I do? What is a general strategy when rooting something ?

ikkuy

Sep 28, 2010
$200 is a good deal. Where did you get it? I wanna learn about all those kernel, adb ,rooting, cooking roms and stuff. But I'm scared to brick my nexus. Burst is definitely a good phone to try. Benchmark score high too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

theandre

Mar 14, 2011
I got it from ebay. There are ton's of Bursts with the price range of 200-250$.

It will arrive tomorrow, I will write a little review once I get it

yadspi

Aug 17, 2011
Please do! It's not perfect but with the right ROM (CM9 please!) or at least Root, I think it will be!!

My girlfriend has one. I really like it. The screen is beautiful, much better than my thunderbolt. The default launcher is pretty nice too, simple but works nice. It doesn't have the complex overlay like sense or blur, so I hope they will update quickly with new Android versions.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

theandre

Mar 14, 2011
My girlfriend has one. I really like it. The screen is beautiful, much better than my thunderbolt. The default launcher is pretty nice too, simple but works nice. It doesn't have the complex overlay like sense or blur, so I hope they will update quickly with new Android versions.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

Meanwhile... There is another Dual Core Pantech that has been rooted.

Here is more info about it: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1426984

yadspi

Aug 17, 2011
Some root method should work, but I rather have CWM and a way back to stock working first! Because I rooted a Pantech Pocket and erased a system file by accident and it didn't boot anymore.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wonder why we couldn't have a good phone with good price and good support, also? just only one.

hey all!!!!!! guess what update is up for grabs right NOW GO GET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy shi* address is https://www.pantechusa.com/upgrade/burst/

please hit the thanks button!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Root is done, attn1 is working on recovery now, and IOMonster and I are trying to get a better root done while waiting on recovery.

As of right now, we have a leaked update that we are hi-jacking to get root, however we hope to get it down to just flashing recovery without the need for update later today.

Stay tuned.

CWBv5.jpg
    I'm porting over the newest Ubuntu Touch to you guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app
    and here is root, you need fastboot and adb

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/04/09/pantech-burst-rooted-and-the-process-is-stupid-easy/

IOMonster saved the day here, without him you would have to wipe your phone and install modified leaked firmware to get root.

Very glad we decided to not release the initial root, sorry

If IOMonster wants to explain he can, I would prefer not to however.

Details

http://goo.im/devs/jcase/prestoroot.img

adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot prestoroot.img

once phone boots, reboot it again, install superuser from the market
    I've started hosting relevant files for the Burst on part of my site. Download speeds are pretty high so if you can't access the 4shared or dropbox or whatever mirrors, check here.

If anyone has any particular files they want hosted and aren't already there, PM me.

Level 99 - Pantech Burst Files