[Q] Parental Controls

Search This thread

wilzard

Mar 5, 2011
Portland
www.facebook.com
About 5 months ago my mom bought a kindle fire hd, she has been loving it...

I rooted it and set go launcher ex as the default launcher, and as far as I know she has never had a pin number or parental controls password set up, just her @kindle.com account.

But now, all of a sudden, her kindle will not let her connect with wifi, uninstall, install, update, or do anything really because it keeps on asking for a parental controls password.

She swears up and down she never set a password. We have tried her amazon password, and any pin numbers she might have once used... all to no avail.

I've already done a bit of google searching and the only solutions I can find are to deregister it from her amazon account, then reregister, or factory reset. I really don't want to have to factory reset.

But when she signed into her amazon.com account there is no kindle listed?? Is there even such a thing as an @kindle.com domain? This is really frustrating me and I just want it to work.

Thanks.

wilzard

Mar 5, 2011
Portland
www.facebook.com
more

I've done quite a bit of reading up online.

If she doesn't know her password, factory reset is the only way?

I was hoping I would be able to go in with root explorer and change a permission to disable the parental controls that way. Is there really no file I can go in and change?

wilzard

Mar 5, 2011
Portland
www.facebook.com
update

OK I went in with x-plore file manager and renamed parentalcontrols.apk and parentalcontrols.odex to .bak, and rebooted.

No longer getting parental controls warning asking for a password when I touch to connect to wifi... however... the wifi button doesn't work now, it just stays on "off".
Even when I try to end around to get wifi working by going through an app, it'll just load forever and never let me connect to wireless.

I am positive there is more to be done, but I am far from an expert and I really would like to have a little advice.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
U might fix it by deleting the folder that parental control uses in /data/data, not sure exactly which one it is, but it probably says something like com.amazon.parentalcontrols or something. I'm pretty sure doing a factory reset will also do it, just backup the data off your data folder first if you have any settings for things u want to transfer over. Hope this helps, I don't use kindle os so I can't figure out what the parental controls internal name is, so sorry I can't be of more help in that area.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: wilzard

wilzard

Mar 5, 2011
Portland
www.facebook.com
U light fix it by deleting the folder that parental control uses in /data/data, not sure exactly which one it is, but it probably says something like com.amazon.parentalcontrols or something. I'm pretty sure doing a factory reset will also do it, just backup the data off your data folder first if you have any settings for things u want to transfer over. Hope this helps, I don't use kindle os so I can't figure out what the parental controls internal name is, so sorry I can't be of more help in that area.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

TY, I needed something like this to point me in the right direction, appreciate it.

She took it home with her today so I probably will not get to touch it for the next week or so, but I will check back and let you know if that fixes it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    U might fix it by deleting the folder that parental control uses in /data/data, not sure exactly which one it is, but it probably says something like com.amazon.parentalcontrols or something. I'm pretty sure doing a factory reset will also do it, just backup the data off your data folder first if you have any settings for things u want to transfer over. Hope this helps, I don't use kindle os so I can't figure out what the parental controls internal name is, so sorry I can't be of more help in that area.