• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Phone idle uses 5 times more battery in prerooted 2.3.3.

Search This thread

rothjm

Aug 6, 2011
Wanted to confirm and thank you.
I went back to Froyo and took the OTA Gingerbread, then one click root and flashed Eclipse .7.
My battery life has improved tremendously! :D:cool: MANY THANKS!
I'm still rebooting after a nightly charge but I haven't tested to see if it is needed anymore.

nookie87

Jan 9, 2011
Wanted to confirm and thank you.
I went back to Froyo and took the OTA Gingerbread, then one click root and flashed Eclipse .7.
My battery life has improved tremendously! :D:cool: MANY THANKS!
I'm still rebooting after a nightly charge but I haven't tested to see if it is needed anymore.

Congrats! I'm glad my finding was not just a fluke and it helped others get back what was rightfully ours to begin with, which is great battery life! :)

Another confirmation here. SBF'd to Froyo, OTA Gingerbread, one click root. I am not running a rom or a third-party launcher yet. My battery life has improved big time. I'm at 10 hours of light use and still at 78%! We'll see if this lasts...

rothjm

Aug 6, 2011
No longer rebooting after a charge. :)
My numbers are similar to the prev post...80% battery left on 10 hrs of light use. :cool:

nookie87

Jan 9, 2011
Another confirmation here. SBF'd to Froyo, OTA Gingerbread, one click root. I am not running a rom or a third-party launcher yet. My battery life has improved big time. I'm at 10 hours of light use and still at 78%! We'll see if this lasts...

Congrats! And yes, it does last!
I'm still getting awesome battery life. Something in the realm of 2-2.5% per hour battery drain... I can easily get 30+ hrs off of one charge with my typical use (push email for work, some phone calls, friendcaster, Launcherpro widgets that poll, some web browsing, etc...)

One note though. I installed "SD Speed Increase" and set it to 2048kb as recommended, and that actually kept my phone slightly warm and experienced a 3.5-4% per hour battery drain. Once I put it down to 1024kb, I'm back down to 2-2.5% per hour battery drain.

Happy camper!

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

No longer rebooting after a charge. :)
My numbers are similar to the prev post...80% battery left on 10 hrs of light use. :cool:

Great! Congrats sir!

How are you liking Eclipse 7? I am tempted to flash back Eclipse, but just am hesitant that my battery life will go bad again... Eclipse was so nice and crisp...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can you explain a little better. I just started using system panel. What proc? What section are you looking at? I've only been looking at top app use. And before the graphs never showed zero. System process was always number one.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Sure, first make sure you have it set up to monitor in settings. You'll need to have it running for quite some time, 12-24 hours to get any useful results. When you go into monitor hit history, then at the top tap where it says top apps, and then tap plot. Now leave it overnight preferably. At night the phone will have a long period of nearly no activity. This gives you a good baseline as to what your idle activity looks like. For reference mine rarely show no activity at all, but at idle it is usually just over half way to 1%. When it was having battery issues it would hover really close to 1%. Keeping in mind that it is a logarithmic scale, that's a difference of about .66% or so, and that's big over 8 hours. Hope that helps.

Are you wiping CACHE only in Android Recovery? Or DATA/FACTORY as well? I was under the impression that wiping DATA/FACTORY from Android Recovery resulted in losing Root access.

I only wiped cache because I am trying to find out where the problem is. It seems to be working thus far, but if it doesn't then data/factory should fix it. Doing a data/factory wipe sets everything as though it were a fresh direct install of the rom at it's current update level. So basically it will act as though you installed a pristine prerooted GB rom. Which technically you don't get even when you install it right after flashing stock. There will still be components of the stock froyo build that make it over. Even though they may not be needed anymore. So you will only loose root if the current rom you have installed didn't have it to begin with.
    I just saw this article on XDA this morning and thought this app might be of use to some people having issues with their idle battery drain.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/monitor-your-battery-drain-on-standby-with-drainguard/

I have not had a chance to use it, but it sounds like you can compare how much battery is being drained with the device on standby compared to if it was on. The article describes what it does better than I am. Check it out if interested.
    Got my great battery life back!

I apologize in advance if this was obvious to folks on this forum, but just a quick update on my battery life...

As stated a couple of threads earlier, on pre-rooted GB/Eclipse, my battery life sucked... Phone was draining 5-10% per hour. I tried the whole process (root, bootstrap, pre-rooted GB) several times with no gain in battery life. I did the battery calibration (manually and using Battery Calibration app), used battery saving apps, and even did the reboot after full charge tricks. None of that brought my battery life on par to what I had on Froyo. As small of a task as it was, I hated the fact that I had to do extra steps (reboot after full charge), just so I could get some what decent battery life that didn't even come close to what I had before.

So I decided to SBF back to Froyo, root, and applied the latest V6 script and stayed there. I was enjoying great battery life back on Froyo for several days. This morning I received and accepted the system update push to OTA GB, half expecting bad battery life again. To my surprise, I'm happy to report that I FINALLY have good battery life on GB, just like I had on Froyo!

The difference in process is that I let the OTA GB install over Froyo instead of me flashing the pre-rooted GB. Not stating that the pre-rooted GB was bad at all. Something about that process just didn't seem to jive well with my specific phone it seems (or user error). I used the wonderful new One Click Root process on the OTA GB, and here I am on a rooted and debloated X2 on GB with great battery life.
    How do I know? I'm 6hrs off the charger, used the phone for calls/emails for work, and I'm still at 90%. Previously on GB, 6hrs off the charger meant that I would be down to less than 50-60% with light use for emails/calls (and that's with me rebooting after full charge!).

Happy. Very happy now. :) Hope this helps some of you still suffering from bad battery life...