[Q] Please help - ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 Brick

Search This thread

GRIM1337

May 7, 2011
Hi there so, I received my ASUS Transformer Infinity yesterday and I managed to root and unlock successfully. However, after downloading ROM Manager I stupidly clicked flash CWRM it did it's thing and I thought, well, it was successful so let's try and boot into it to flash a custom ROM I had downloaded. From ROM Manager no dice, tried getting into recovery manually and it worked. However, it was clearly stock recovery. New to Android slates I clicked the volume buttons a couple times to try and see how to move the cursor... this of course wiped my device. At this point, I was pretty sure I was done for, after this completed I rebooted again and low and behold cannot get into the device on normal boot. Tried rebooting, nothing. Tried the keyboard dock, same deal. Stuck on ASUS screen and I never get the spinning wheel. Tried to get back in recovery and I get stuck at loading recovery kernel image. BRICK. The only thing I can do is get into APX recovery but as I understand there is no use for this mode yet on the TF700? Please help! My last option is to RMA to Newegg, if I do this what should I say? I feel being honest is the only way to grantee a repair. How much would this cost out of warranty?

dpadaddict

Oct 9, 2008
Hi there so, I received my ASUS Transformer Infinity yesterday and I managed to root and unlock successfully. However, after downloading ROM Manager I stupidly clicked flash CWRM it did it's thing and I thought, well, it was successful so let's try and boot into it to flash a custom ROM I had downloaded. From ROM Manager no dice, tried getting into recovery manually and it worked. However, it was clearly stock recovery. New to Android slates I clicked the volume buttons a couple times to try and see how to move the cursor... this of course wiped my device. At this point, I was pretty sure I was done for, after this completed I rebooted again and low and behold cannot get into the device on normal boot. Tried rebooting, nothing. Tried the keyboard dock, same deal. Stuck on ASUS screen and I never get the spinning wheel. Tried to get back in recovery and I get stuck at loading recovery kernel image. BRICK. The only thing I can do is get into APX recovery but as I understand there is no use for this mode yet on the TF700? Please help! My last option is to RMA to Newegg, if I do this what should I say? I feel being honest is the only way to grantee a repair. How much would this cost out of warranty?

I am having the same issue. Just rooted today. Please help!

fordwolden

May 2, 2012
I am having the same issue. Just rooted today. Please help!

Are you able to get into fastboot? If you press and hold power and volume down until you get the option to press volume up to boot to recovery, but don't press voume up, then you will boot into the bootloader screen, with fastboot as an option.

At this site you will find the correct twrp (choose Download - Recovery Image / Fastboot Method) and instructions to flash:

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/105

Instructions for fastboot and adb you'll find by searching around.

Hope that helps!

GRIM1337

May 7, 2011
Are you able to get into fastboot? If you press and hold power and volume down until you get the option to press volume up to boot to recovery, but don't press voume up, then you will boot into the bootloader screen, with fastboot as an option.

At this site you will find the correct twrp (choose Download - Recovery Image / Fastboot Method) and instructions to flash:

Instructions for fastboot and adb you'll find by searching around.

Hope that helps!

I wish I could... The message I receive is as follows when I do that:

The Device is UnLocked.
Android cardhu-user bootloader <2.10 e> released by "US_epad-9.4.5.26-20120720" A03
Booting recovery kernel image

And nothing ever shows up. Just the ASUS logo.

tdii

Sep 21, 2012
Did you solve your problem? I'm having the same issue and tried to install custom ROMs without solving the problem :(

kabauterman

Aug 11, 2011
Jena
reboot the device! (power and vol down for 5 sec)

hold vol down at the ASUS screen, but don't go to recovery, just wait until you see a 3 different logos on your screen.
An Android, a Wipe and a USB Icon

go between theese logos with vol down choose USB Icon with vol up!

Now you are in Fastboot mode and with your PC you can flash another recovery image.

But by the way!

WHY THE HELL DID YOU UNLOCKED YOUR DEVICE IF YOU ARE TOTALLY NEW TO ANDROID?! :confused::eek:

You don't need this if you are new to android, even root does a good deal for first serious steps!

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
But by the way!

WHY THE HELL DID YOU UNLOCKED YOUR DEVICE IF YOU ARE TOTALLY NEW TO ANDROID?! :confused::eek:

You don't need this if you are new to android, even root does a good deal for first serious steps!

Hey, we were all new to Android at some point! That's how you learn though, by doing this sort of stuff. Nothing wrong wth trying! Just need to be careful and read alot. But, you have to start somewhere!

I'm sure that he was reading all of the "Jelly Bean ROM's are so awesome" posts and wanted to see for himself, that's all....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

GRIM1337

May 7, 2011
Hey, we were all new to Android at some point! That's how you learn though, by doing this sort of stuff. Nothing wrong wth trying! Just need to be careful and read alot. But, you have to start somewhere!

I'm sure that he was reading all of the "Jelly Bean ROM's are so awesome" posts and wanted to see for himself, that's all....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

I never said I was new to Android. I was new to the ASUS stock tablet recovery orientation (its landscape as I found out). Hence, hit up twice, wiped data. I am by no means new in general. I did not fix the problem. I requested an RMA with Newegg and it was approved I said the issue with it was bad screen bleeding (no lie but it is normal for this tablet but bad was exaggerated) In any case! RMA approved should be getting my new unit Tuesday!

rizanx

Dec 31, 2011
Dublin
fix

Just follow this method and you will be fine
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1755576

GRIM1337

May 7, 2011
unlocked and RMA because of your own stupidity?

ok do it..

have you tried it with fastboot?

If you had my OP in its entirety, you would know that is impossible. :/ Unfortunately, after the data + cache wipe two things happened that I do not understand. 1. The device wouldn't boot (this shouldn't happen unless all partitions were formatted which the device did NOT report it did), 2. This is the really strange part, recovery no longer existed after JUST WORKING - even after my mistake with ROM manager stock recovery remained until the wipe and then I received the message mentioned in my OP (namely: Booting recovery kernel).

HelgesenJ

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago
If you had my OP in its entirety, you would know that is impossible. :/ Unfortunately, after the data + cache wipe two things happened that I do not understand. 1. The device wouldn't boot (this shouldn't happen unless all partitions were formatted which the device did NOT report it did), 2. This is the really strange part, recovery no longer existed after JUST WORKING - even after my mistake with ROM manager stock recovery remained until the wipe and then I received the message mentioned in my OP (namely: Booting recovery kernel).

Any resolution to this other than the RMA?

Ivanrc

Nov 26, 2012
Please don't tell me you have used ROM Manager recently. : S Are you having the same issue?
APX available, or not (as with the OP)? NvFlashed? What have you done, or tried to do, yourself?

Moar. Info. :)

One more who used ROM manager recently and now I have a nice tray for serving beers :crying:

I'm having the same issue with APX available by powering on the transformer holding volume+up but with no nvflash backup. :(

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I don't understand why people keep using ROM manager to install recovery, this is a death wish to your device. If they read all the "How to" posts, none of them instructed to use rom manager to install recovery, so I don't know where they got this idea from???? beat me!!!
GRIM1337, you need RMA to send out for repair. Sorry but there's no hope to recovery this.

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
Didn't use ROM Manager

Updated to JB (from rooted ICS), then tried to unlock and flash recovery: Bootloader is still locked, recovery and system partitions are simply gone!

All I can access is fastboot now, but as bootloader is locked, I cannot flash any custom image/blob or whatsoever.

Can someone generous post their stock recovery or help me flash the JB update ZIP again?

I extracted the blob, but I'm not sure how to flash it? I suppose it contains all the partitions I would need to flash! But how to flash them?

I tried this:
fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash staging blob

Fails after having downloaded the 800Mb blob, the exact same way it fails flashing a custom kernel!?

sending 'staging' (800199 KB)...
OKAY [145.978s]
writing 'staging'...
FAILED (remote: (InvalidState))
finished. total time: 205.000s

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Updated to JB (from rooted ICS), then tried to unlock and flash recovery: Bootloader is still locked, recovery and system partitions are simply gone!

All I can access is fastboot now, but as bootloader is locked, I cannot flash any custom image/blob or whatsoever.

Can someone generous post their stock recovery or help me flash the JB update ZIP again?

I extracted the blob, but I'm not sure how to flash it? I suppose it contains all the partitions I would need to flash! But how to flash them?

I tried this:
fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash staging blob

Fails after having downloaded the 800Mb blob, the exact same way it fails flashing a custom kernel!?

sending 'staging' (800199 KB)...
OKAY [145.978s]
writing 'staging'...
FAILED (remote: (InvalidState))
finished. total time: 205.000s

How did you get into fastboot mode for your device??

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
How did you get into fastboot mode for your device??

Well that one's hard: With ICS bootloader, there was like no fastboot mode!!! On the bootloader menu I could only confirm recovery or cancel to boot as usual!!! WTF? But then once with JB bootloader, the menu allowed me to select a different option: a new one had appeared showing a USB logo too! Can't tell if I simply missed the option or proper steps in ICS bootloader though.

Pretoriano80

Jun 9, 2010
Well that one's hard: With ICS bootloader, there was like no fastboot mode!!! On the bootloader menu I could only confirm recovery or cancel to boot as usual!!! WTF? But then once with JB bootloader, the menu allowed me to select a different option: a new one had appeared showing a USB logo too! Can't tell if I simply missed the option or proper steps in ICS bootloader though.

ICS bootloader had the fastboot option disabled if the device's bootloader was still locked and the USB icon wasn't showing at all.
With the JB bootloader Asus made the USB icon available even if the device was locked so you can access fastboot mode but you can't flash anything (yes,it doesn't make sense, but this is Asus).
Anyway, if you are able to boot in recovery you should be able to restore you device easily,just follow my guide from the general forum.

Reactions: 3c
Jan 14, 2013
Re: Help needed i will try

OK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IS WIPED THE OS FROM THE UNIT...AND LEFT THE BOOTLOADER FILES...SO THERE ISNT
ANYTHING TO BOOT TO AT THE MOMENT... I DID THIS LAST WEEK... IT WAS A BIT SCARY AND FRUSTRATING UNTIL
I FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX IT.. ITS NOT HARD. ILL PUT DOWN HERE WHAT I DID...

1. DOWNLOAD THE GOOGLE NEXUS 7 TOOL KIT... ( this is a very good rescue tool )
2. RUN IT... INSTALL THE DRIVERS... REBOOT IT ALL AND START THE TOOL KIT AGIAN WITH YOUR TRANSFORMER
CONNECTED TO USB...
3. YOU SHOULD SEE THE SERIAL NUMBER OF YOUR TABLET AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE IN THE TOOLKIT...
IF SO..YOUR ALMOST DONE !
4. THERE ARE MANY CHOICES..SOME WORK SOME DONT ON THE TRANSFORMER...
5. I CHOOSE THE ROOT OPTION...
6. NOW..WHEN IT GETS TO THE PART WHERE IT SAYS ARE U IN FASTBOOT MODE.. SAY NO !!! THAT WILL ACTUALLY
PUT IT IN FASTBOOT AND THEN PROCEED AS DIRECTED ON THE SCREEN TO ROOT...

THATS WHAT I DID...CAUSE I NEEDED ROOT AND I HAD A STUCK BOOT LOOP JUST LIKE YOU.....

BASICALLY YOU NEED TO ROOT IT AGIAN AN THEN REBOOT AND TRY TO GET INTO CWM..OR HAVE IT REINSTALL CWM...TO FLASH A ROM...THAT WORKS..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ICS bootloader had the fastboot option disabled if the device's bootloader was still locked and the USB icon wasn't showing at all.
    With the JB bootloader Asus made the USB icon available even if the device was locked so you can access fastboot mode but you can't flash anything (yes,it doesn't make sense, but this is Asus).
    Anyway, if you are able to boot in recovery you should be able to restore you device easily,just follow my guide from the general forum.
    OK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IS WIPED THE OS FROM THE UNIT...AND LEFT THE BOOTLOADER FILES...SO THERE ISNT
    ANYTHING TO BOOT TO AT THE MOMENT... I DID THIS LAST WEEK... IT WAS A BIT SCARY AND FRUSTRATING UNTIL
    I FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIX IT.. ITS NOT HARD. ILL PUT DOWN HERE WHAT I DID...

1. DOWNLOAD THE GOOGLE NEXUS 7 TOOL KIT... ( this is a very good rescue tool )
    2. RUN IT... INSTALL THE DRIVERS... REBOOT IT ALL AND START THE TOOL KIT AGIAN WITH YOUR TRANSFORMER
    CONNECTED TO USB...
    3. YOU SHOULD SEE THE SERIAL NUMBER OF YOUR TABLET AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE IN THE TOOLKIT...
    IF SO..YOUR ALMOST DONE !
    4. THERE ARE MANY CHOICES..SOME WORK SOME DONT ON THE TRANSFORMER...
    5. I CHOOSE THE ROOT OPTION...
    6. NOW..WHEN IT GETS TO THE PART WHERE IT SAYS ARE U IN FASTBOOT MODE.. SAY NO !!! THAT WILL ACTUALLY
    PUT IT IN FASTBOOT AND THEN PROCEED AS DIRECTED ON THE SCREEN TO ROOT...

THATS WHAT I DID...CAUSE I NEEDED ROOT AND I HAD A STUCK BOOT LOOP JUST LIKE YOU.....

BASICALLY YOU NEED TO ROOT IT AGIAN AN THEN REBOOT AND TRY TO GET INTO CWM..OR HAVE IT REINSTALL CWM...TO FLASH A ROM...THAT WORKS..

I think his case is more serious than yours, first he deleted the stock recovery, then he corrupted the kernel, bootloader and the rom when he attempted to fastboot the full stock blob file from Asus. At the moment, he had reflashed the stock recovery, kernel and about to do the bootloader. We will wait and see. BTW, after flashed the recovery, his device stopped freezing and he abled to flash the kernel, at this point, I believe his device is now accessible through ADB, so it's a very good sign!! He should able to use adb with dd command or continue to use fastboot to bring back his device.
    I had the problem where I was trying to install CM and fooleshly tried using the wipe from the recovery menu first. Crashed in the middle and couldn't get to the fastboot or any type of errors etc. Just sat on the ASUS screen with no luck through any of the troubleshooting I found on here.

Tried sending it into ASUS to see if they could do a software reset (as it was their wipe that failed and bricked the device) and they just came back and said the motherboard needs to be replaced ($175). A total charge of $250. I get paying for labor on the software side but this seems like a total scam. Have flashed plenty of ROMs on different devices and was able to resolve any issues that pop up. Will NEVER buy another ASUS product again!