[Q] Possible "Brick" on the Optimus V

Search This thread

AbattoirX

Nov 1, 2011
Worcester, Mass
Ok the web just glitched on me so this is the second time of me writing this novel and patience has grown very thin. First i would never be asking for this help if i didnt already do my 5 days of research and exhaust all solutions i can see. And since this is my second time writing this im sorry but im going to give the short version. I did the fatal mistake of lg style reset while i was rooted i know its a rookie mistake i thought i was completely unrooted and didnt double check it before i continued. i cant boot into recovery at all or if i can its just a black screen. when i boot normally it goes to the lg logo then to a black screen. i can access emergency mode however i cant get my pc ( running xp sp3 ) to recognize the device. I can get it to be recognized when i boot it normally to the black screen and even gain acces to root through adb, When in emergency i get nothing though and i have attempted recovery and flashing through adb, kdz, romtools, lgmdp and a few more randoms i could find in the forums ( i have done a lot of research ) when i do establish root though i cant seem to push or pull files, flash, mount or anything besides adb shell, the rest is filled with error: 0's and sbin/sh "whatever" not found, etc. since i can establish root it leads me to believe this can be fixed. THANK YOU in advance for any help you can throw my way and I'm sorry if this post is vague, poorly written ( like i said second time going through this ) or gets under your skin i know better that you veterans hate reading these posts and im only asking for help because now i am at my wits end. Thank you again

fundoozzz

Sep 21, 2011
New Delhi
hey it would be nice if you could tell something about lg style reset and that rooted thing..... I don't have any info. about bricking the device like this.... ;-)
just wanted to know as a word of caution....

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium

AbattoirX

Nov 1, 2011
Worcester, Mass
hey it would be nice if you could tell something about lg style reset and that rooted thing..... I don't have any info. about bricking the device like this.... ;-)

Rooting is the process of essentially gaining Administrator rights to your phone ( So you can access files and gain privilages you wouldn't normally have ) Think of it like a computer and your signed in as a guest when you root your signed in as the Admin, Hope that helps. LG style reset is the factory reset of the phone from the recovery menu to restore the phone to its original state, Which is a huge no no while rooted or a custom recovery is installed.

I m not aware if lg p500/optimus one clockwork mod recovery will work on optimus v.

If recoveries of both phones are same you can follow http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1318750 to install custom recovery of lg p500/optimus one from emergency mode.

I attempted that and its a no go. The main problem being i can not get my phone to be recognized by the computer while it is emergency mode and i can not even select an image or anything. I booted it normally ( into the black screen i get after LG logo ) And i dont recieve a pop up with image and i recieve a error everytime i attempt to backup my nv its doesnt seem to be found, Nothing, but the device does get recognized at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: fundoozzz

mak.3736

I attempted that and its a no go. The main problem being i can not get my phone to be recognized by the computer while it is emergency mode and i can not even select an image or anything. I booted it normally ( into the black screen i get after LG logo ) And i dont recieve a pop up with image and i recieve a error everytime i attempt to backup my nv its doesnt seem to be found, Nothing, but the device does get recognized at least.

Are you able to connect to phone from lgmdp when booted normally ( into the black screen you get after LG logo ).
If yes then
dont back up nv
no need the pop up window, press on "select image" in lgmdp and browse to recovery extracted folder for "image folder"
then press "start or download"

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
fix-black-screen-custom-recovery-custom-roms
I'd've posted it here on xda, too, but it's quite enough manainance dealing with it in one forum already.
the problem is that lg started shipping the optimus v with cheaper hitachi screens instead of the novatek screen it was released with. so the older custom recoveries and roms use a kernel that isn't configured to use the hitachi screen and you only get to see the backlight with no display.

edit:
I m not aware if lg p500/optimus one clockwork mod recovery will work on optimus v.

If recoveries of both phones are same you can follow http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1318750 to install custom recovery of lg p500/optimus one from emergency mode.
the p500 kernel is incompatible (different chipset.) so the recovery won't work even it the mtd map is the same.
bummer, as that's be a nice easy fix.

Last edited:

AbattoirX

Nov 1, 2011
Worcester, Mass
Mak Thank you for the progress i have made so far i did manage to get the phone connected through lgmpd as i have before however this was the first time when connected it went straight to emergency ready ( in the lgmpd screen ) I am going ahead to assume that is good i was never able to get it that far. The problem i face now when i press the "select image" button nothing happens, as long as the button is pushed down the word ready in the bottom left disappears and when released the word reappears, However i dont recieve the option to browse any menu for the image. Is there a specific folder i should have extracted to? I'll continue my research too if i find out the problem i wil post it immediately, Thank you again for your help i'm not there yet but definately making progress.

Squid, I knew about that topic too i remember reading it during my research, It must of slipped my mind before i even though about posting this. I'm Sorry ill be more careful about making these posts in the future
Also Squid since the chipsets are different i assume thats a no go, Would it still hurt to try? i'm running on hopes and dreams at the moment. Also when booted normally to my black screen i can obtain root access via adb leading me to believe if i can do that a fix is present somewhere

Last edited:

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
...snip
Also Squid since the chipsets are different i assume thats a no go, Would it still hurt to try? i'm running on hopes and dreams at the moment. Also when booted normally to my black screen i can obtain root access via adb leading me to believe if i can do that a fix is present somewhere

yes, a no-go. when I flashed a p500 kernel to my v for experimental purposes, it wouldn't boot right for a day even after putting a working kernel back on it. it had to sit with the battery pulled for a few minutes between boots or it would just freeze on the lg logo.

if you follow the adb instructions to install a compatible recovery (currently, BobZhome IHO recovery is advised) in the thread I linked to, you should be fine.

mak.3736

Mak Thank you for the progress i have made so far i did manage to get the phone connected through lgmpd as i have before however this was the first time when connected it went straight to emergency ready ( in the lgmpd screen ) I am going ahead to assume that is good i was never able to get it that far. The problem i face now when i press the "select image" button nothing happens, as long as the button is pushed down the word ready in the bottom left disappears and when released the word reappears, However i dont recieve the option to browse any menu for the image. Is there a specific folder i should have extracted to? I'll continue my research too if i find out the problem i wil post it immediately, Thank you again for your help i'm not there yet but definately making progress.

yes, as long as pressing the "select image" button ready in the bottom left disappears. But when you release button you should get a window poped up to select image folder.
Try again to connect in emergency mode and see.

Last edited:

AbattoirX

Nov 1, 2011
Worcester, Mass
when i do establish root though i cant seem to push or pull files, flash, mount or anything besides adb shell, the rest is filled with error: 0's and sbin/sh "whatever" not found, etc.

I did follow those instructions previously ( 2 days ago i believe ) When i attempted that i was not able to push the needed files to my sd card unfortunately and i did try multiple times using Xionia recovery. I understand user error so I'll try again with a fresh mind just to be certain and get back to all of you.

fundoozzz

Sep 21, 2011
New Delhi
Rooting is the process of essentially gaining Administrator rights to your phone ( So you can access files and gain privilages you wouldn't normally have ) Think of it like a computer and your signed in as a guest when you root your signed in as the Admin, Hope that helps. LG style reset is the factory reset of the phone from the recovery menu to restore the phone to its original state, Which is a huge no no while rooted or a custom recovery is installed

I know what rooting is....infact I myself is on CM 6.5.8
what I didn't knew was that factory reset with custom recovery can brick our device..
but I feel this is not true as many people had done factory reset when they had problems after restoring nandroid backup....

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I know a corrupted /system partition will cause the 'system/bin/sh not found' with adb if you're booting into the rom, I hadn't seen that booting into recovery.
if you have an older optimus v (2.2.1 froyo original, pv5 baseband) you can
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
to get to the bootloader and use fastboot to flash the recovery or even the whole system.
2.2.2 optimus v with pv7 firmware has the bootloader locked, so trying to reboot into the bootloader just tries to boot to the normal ROM.

AbattoirX

Nov 1, 2011
Worcester, Mass
My apologies Fundoozzz i was not insulting your intelligence just covering all basis, And from what i understand when you choose lg style reset from recovery it is the same as perform the factory reset from the settings menu which i guess your not suppose to. I by no means am not an expert on any of this obviously, I'm just simply relaying the information i have read on these and android forums as well as my personal experience.

Squid, I purchased this in the beginning of sept. and as i understand the revamped the Optimus in August?? So yes im running the later version and to double back on the posts I tried to push files again and attempted fastboot before still with the sbin/sh not found error....I am still hopeful that this is not a paper wieght however it very well could be thank you both again

Last edited:
Reactions: fundoozzz

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
have you tried booting into the blacked recovery before using adb?
(hold home+vol down while pressing power until lg logo goes black)
it sounds like your rom was corrupted (so adb is fairly useless there,) and recovery might be working but you just can't see it if you do have a newer OV.
to force reboot to recovery without the button-smashing,
adb reboot recovery
while you're booted normally.
then try adb again.

please cut/paste the errors you're getting with the commands you're using, here in this thread..

Reactions: AbattoirX

AbattoirX

Nov 1, 2011
Worcester, Mass
Well all be cheese and crackers, Thank you Squid it did the trick to actually push the image to my sd card here are the commands that I used....

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>cd c:\android\platform-tools

C:\Android\platform-tools>reboot recovery
'reboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Android\platform-tools>adb shell
~ # reboot recovery
reboot recovery

C:\Android\platform-tools>adb push vm670nh_recovery.img /sdcard/
2608 KB/s (4200448 bytes in 1.572s)

C:\Android\platform-tools>

Now before i move further just to humor me all i need to do is push the flash_image and reboot to recovery and i should be good from there to flash a new rom. I ask only so i dont mess this up any worse than i have

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
if you're in the recovery, flash_image is already in the PATH.
Code:
adb shell
flash_image recovery /sdcard/vm670nh_recovery.img
exit
adb reboot recovery
then you should be ready to see your recovery.
format cache, data, and system.
install the rom.zip as usual.

Reactions: AbattoirX

AbattoirX

Nov 1, 2011
Worcester, Mass
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, How I wasn't able to obtain this I'm not too sure lack of knowledge or user errors possibly regardless I am now in CWM recovery and will format and flash my new rom. Any suggestions by the way? I was considering CM7 but i heard mixed reviews about it on the Optimus v. Oh well I'll do some research Thank you again Squid if i can repay this debt let me know, Lets face the facts in reality you just saved me over a hundred dollars and countless more headaches. Thank you again to everyone, much appreciated!

Reactions: bigsupersquid

bigsupersquid

Sep 22, 2010
BFE, MO
Google Pixel 4a 5G
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, How I wasn't able to obtain this I'm not too sure lack of knowledge or user errors possibly regardless I am now in CWM recovery and will format and flash my new rom. Any suggestions by the way? I was considering CM7 but i heard mixed reviews about it on the Optimus v. Oh well I'll do some research
I really enjoy the IHO cm7 flavors, all of them.
I advise giving one a whirl, froyo just doesn't compare to gingerbread for my personal use.
They use more battery than harmonia, but the features! the features!
Thank you again Squid if i can repay this debt let me know, Lets face the facts in reality you just saved me over a hundred dollars and countless more headaches. Thank you again to everyone, much appreciated!
if you're financially solvent, I have a donate button in the sidebar... I like to help people out, but my woman really appreciates it when I get more from helping than warm fuzzies.
the thanks are appreciated, though, and if your income is like mine, don't send any money :cool:

AbattoirX

Nov 1, 2011
Worcester, Mass
Well if a promise is worth anything in this day and age, when I am slightly more financially stable I'll send enough for a six pack your way or some flowers so your girl won't mind you helping us for a while longer :) Thanks again and I'll load up CM7 now

Reactions: bigsupersquid

AbattoirX

Nov 1, 2011
Worcester, Mass
Well easy come and easy go back to a new LG screen. So after managing to get the recovery working i went to flash CM7 on the Optimus using information here http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/366620-cm7-installation-my-optimus-v.html Anyway I am now experiencing this problem, I get stuck back at the lg screen again. I did wipe the cache data system 3 times to be safe before flashing the rom and i only have access to emergency mode and this screen ( regular boot and recovery mode come up and end the exact same way ). I'll explain what i see step by step...
1. The black and silver LG Logo
2. A green Android guy next to a box with arrow coming out and these words come up on the screen. " with out the numbers of course "
(1) Android Recovery
(2) Do Not Pull Battery
(3) Formatting Data:...
(4) Formatting cache:...
(5) Factory Reset...
(6) Rebooting...
3. Then reboots back to the black and silver LG Logo screen.
4. Finally stops and freeze's up on the screen with a pinkish/reddish LG symbol with LG next to it and www.lgmobile.com written underneath it.

Question being is this some sort of recovery boot loop? And if it is what can be done about it? Furthermore many if not all files on the phone so far seem to be " read only " .... well i guess I'm ready for round two!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Rooting is the process of essentially gaining Administrator rights to your phone ( So you can access files and gain privilages you wouldn't normally have ) Think of it like a computer and your signed in as a guest when you root your signed in as the Admin, Hope that helps. LG style reset is the factory reset of the phone from the recovery menu to restore the phone to its original state, Which is a huge no no while rooted or a custom recovery is installed.

My apologies Fundoozzz i was not insulting your intelligence just covering all basis, And from what i understand when you choose lg style reset from recovery it is the same as perform the factory reset from the settings menu which i guess your not suppose to. I by no means am not an expert on any of this obviously, I'm just simply relaying the information i have read on these and android forums as well as my personal experience.

Squid, I purchased this in the beginning of sept. and as i understand the revamped the Optimus in August?? So yes im running the later version and to double back on the posts I tried to push files again and attempted fastboot before still with the sbin/sh not found error....I am still hopeful that this is not a paper wieght however it very well could be thank you both again
    have you tried booting into the blacked recovery before using adb?
    (hold home+vol down while pressing power until lg logo goes black)
    it sounds like your rom was corrupted (so adb is fairly useless there,) and recovery might be working but you just can't see it if you do have a newer OV.
    to force reboot to recovery without the button-smashing,
    adb reboot recovery
    while you're booted normally.
    then try adb again.

please cut/paste the errors you're getting with the commands you're using, here in this thread..
    if you're in the recovery, flash_image is already in the PATH.
    Code:
    adb shell
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/vm670nh_recovery.img
    exit
    adb reboot recovery
    then you should be ready to see your recovery.
    format cache, data, and system.
    install the rom.zip as usual.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH, How I wasn't able to obtain this I'm not too sure lack of knowledge or user errors possibly regardless I am now in CWM recovery and will format and flash my new rom. Any suggestions by the way? I was considering CM7 but i heard mixed reviews about it on the Optimus v. Oh well I'll do some research Thank you again Squid if i can repay this debt let me know, Lets face the facts in reality you just saved me over a hundred dollars and countless more headaches. Thank you again to everyone, much appreciated!