[Q] PVStar+ Pro missing from Google Play Store? Anyone know why?

Search This thread

crypt0kiddie

Jun 23, 2010
I'm not even sure if this is the right section to ask in, I've never really left my specific device forums before but here goes!

So I just upgraded from a Sammy S3 to a Nexus 6 and I had a paid app called PVStar+ Pro on my S3. It lefts you play Youtube video's while having the screen off unlike that POS Google Youtube app! :)

So I setup my new Nexus 6 and I just realized it's not here on this phone. So I checked my apps on the market, nope. So I copied my APK off my S3 over and but it doesn't seem to work right. I can't search videos. For example, I've searched Tiesto, Hardwell, the Wonderland Music Festival etc and it comes back with zero results. Plus I don't think it's fully PRO.

I tried checking out the home page of the dev but it's all in Japanese so I shot them an email and so far no reply.

One of my favorite apps! Just wondering if anyone knows WHAT happened to it? Even Google searching brings up nothing.

orky87

Jan 3, 2011
Because Google are a bunch of arseh0les tracking your habits and interests hence why their official apps require users to log in to keep track of you or as they call it to provide a service. Anyone who allows to bypass their collective technologies gets banned.
Whatever they touch these days turns to crap.
Alternatively, try these apps; SuperTube,YouTube v4.4.11 v5b Mod, Viral Pro.

user2837

Jul 23, 2008
All yt searches from within the app now show a first result about using an incompatible player, but search results are still shown and play as they did before. For now. :D

I need to correct what I wrote before. It's the pvstar+ pro version, the pay-for version that was removed from play store that seems to have more ads services built in than the free one on amazon and the download able apk from dooga linked to above. I don't know if it shows any ads though because I always had adaway running.

The three versions all work with everything that looks ad-related disabled with in this case 3c toolbox, as shown in screen shots here:
http://imgur.com/a/zXIlm

If you use xprivacy then I would suggest you block the app from talking to d2cjo8xlt6fbwy.cloudfront.net, since it tries to send both a unique user and device ID, and
d830x8j3o1b2k.cloudfront.net where some adfurikun stuff is fetched from. Just block cloudfront in its entirety.
Blocking storage access to the subfolder /data/data/jp.co.asbit.pvstar/cache/adfurikun/ could be good too.
YouTube videos in MP4 containers seem to be cached/saved into /data/data/jp.co.asbit.pvstar/cache/videos/ , from where they can be just copied somewhere else if you want to save a particular video.

lekon551

Apr 15, 2015
All yt searches from within the app now show a first result about using an incompatible player, but search results are still shown and play as they did before. For now. :D

If you use xprivacy then I would suggest you block the app from talking to d2cjo8xlt6fbwy.buttfront.net, since it tries to send both a unique user and device ID, and
d830x8j3o1b2k.buttfront.net where some adfurikun stuff is fetched from. Just block buttfront in its entirety.
Blocking storage access to the subfolder /data/data/jp.co.asbit.pvstar/cache/adfurikun/ could be good too.
YouTube videos in MP4 containers seem to be cached/saved into /data/data/jp.co.asbit.pvstar/cache/videos/ , from where they can be just copied somewhere else if you want to save a particular video.

Noob here. Could you inform of how to go about blocking buttfront, and storage access to /data/data/jp.co.asbit.pvstar/cache/adfurikun/ ?

RodimusConvoy

Jul 22, 2012
Raleigh
They just broke the search function entirely. :crying:

Well on MyList > Bookmarks (for the Pro Version), if you try to watch a vid, all of them will come up with a 3 minute 56 second vid that says in different languages "Youtube is upgrading to a newer version, which is is not supported by this device or app." I can still see my Recently Played just fine, though, but I suspect that is temporary.

So is there any other apps like PVStar out there? We all may have to migrate to it soon.

stillsober

Nov 18, 2013
Well on MyList > Bookmarks (for the Pro Version), if you try to watch a vid, all of them will come up with a 3 minute 56 second vid that says in different languages "Youtube is upgrading to a newer version, which is is not supported by this device or app." I can still see my Recently Played just fine, though, but I suspect that is temporary.

So is there any other apps like PVStar out there? We all may have to migrate to it soon.

Same on 2.5.11 playstore version

Falv

Jul 7, 2014
Same on 2.5.11 playstore version

Yeah, both versions are not working for me either. Wonder if PVSTAR will make an update or if there's a way to get around Googles restrictions. Funny I can still play any videos from my playlists still but your right they might stop that soon too.

I'll let you guys know if i can find a workaround or hear anything.

CalculatedRisk

Jan 20, 2013
I read somewhere development for the app is dead, and so yesterday I went looking for an alternative. Both OGyoutube and firetube seem to do the exact same thing (plus extra features), and have been updated to support the new API. Give it a shot if you guys are willing. I am personally using OGYoutube (found right here on XDA) and loving it.

JadedKitty

May 31, 2015
Only yesterday did this fav app of mine start giving me bs.... Thanks for this thread everyone. I couldn't find anything elae truly useful on the subject...
Upset I have to make a whole new list... and I always signed into youtube anyway, their player is just ****ty.... I need something that plays while I work.

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
Sad to say, it's dead as a door nail and the alternatives are garbage. The thing that made pvrstar brilliant was that it was lightweight. I've used it since an s1 and even then it put no noticeable strain on performance. This OG YouTube maybe new and raw but it genuinely slows your device down and I ain't using a single core S1 anymore, I'm on a quad core device with a pretty powerful cup, so when an app is causing that much lagg it is nowhere near finished.

Jury is out on firetube.

If the dev was to release the source for pvr, I would happily bring it up to spec. Not happening though.

JadedKitty

May 31, 2015
I hope someone develops an app up to par..
Or someone fluent in Japanese contacts the creator..
I found his facebook, twitter and line accounts...
Butttt I suck at other languages.

Reactions: lekon551

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
I hope someone develops an app up to par..
Or someone fluent in Japanese contacts the creator..
I found his facebook, twitter and line accounts...
Butttt I suck at other languages.

If he donated the source to XDA, many of us could bring it up to spec. OG Youtube sucks, it broke Chromecast and various other things and is laggy and choppy. Firetube works, better, it's certainly a lot better than OG YouTube, but it's still **** compared to PVRStar+

Reactions: lekon551

deliad

Feb 5, 2010
all that other apps , can't compare to pvstar because they are lack of EQ feature.... and also the ui Design... still looking for this app, it's a must for me , because i use it in my car

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
all that other apps , can't compare to pvstar because they are lack of EQ feature.... and also the ui Design... still looking for this app, it's a must for me , because i use it in my car

I never used the EQ feature, but the issue is that PVRStar+ was ultra stable and very good on phone resources. As I said earlier, I've used it since my S1 and it was excellent then and it was excellent up until the day it died. It was the ultimate answer to listening to YouTube music.

OGYoutube is ****. It's buggy and slow and quite awkward to use in reality. FireTube is better, but it's still very very buggy. I have a common problem where if the connection drops slightly, it cannot seem to re-buffer and continue playing. It just dies and then plays the next track. None of these issues existed in PVRStar+.

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
Holy Christ monkey balls, IT'S BACK!!!!!!!!!

I had pvrstar on my Amazon app store after Google unceremoniously removed it from the play store. This morning, it said I had one app update available... Pvrstar. I thought no way. Sure enough, it's working again and God how much I've missed it. I can finally say **** off to firetube.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PVStar+ 2.6.3 [APK Download]

Hi,
    so I just checked their website and they actually provide a direct .apk-Download for their newest 2.6.3-version. Here is the link: http://sp.pvstar.dooga.org/apps/PVSTAR_20150115.apk
    It also doesn't require Amazon's App store and works like it should (unlike my old PVStar+ Pro :/).
    And since I like my own ideas...
    Holy Christ monkey balls, IT'S BACK!!!!!!!!!

I had pvrstar on my Amazon app store after Google unceremoniously removed it from the play store. This morning, it said I had one app update available... Pvrstar. I thought no way. Sure enough, it's working again and God how much I've missed it. I can finally say **** off to firetube.
    I read somewhere development for the app is dead, and so yesterday I went looking for an alternative. Both OGyoutube and firetube seem to do the exact same thing (plus extra features), and have been updated to support the new API. Give it a shot if you guys are willing. I am personally using OGYoutube (found right here on XDA) and loving it.

I need to correct what I wrote before. It's the pvstar+ pro version, the pay-for version that was removed from play store that seems to have more ads services built in than the free one on amazon and the download able apk from dooga linked to above. I don't know if it shows any ads though because I always had adaway running.

The three versions all work with everything that looks ad-related disabled with in this case 3c toolbox, as shown in screen shots here:
    http://imgur.com/a/zXIlm

If you use xprivacy then I would suggest you block the app from talking to d2cjo8xlt6fbwy.cloudfront.net, since it tries to send both a unique user and device ID, and
    d830x8j3o1b2k.cloudfront.net where some adfurikun stuff is fetched from. Just block cloudfront in its entirety.