[Q] Question about reset function

Search This thread

Cotulla

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2007
Hello,

I am considering HTC One as a new device for my and DFT hobby developing.
But I have a question about soft reset function. (at least it was called so in old good WM PDA days :) ).

During hardcore development it's very important to be able reset device at any time in any state.

I know that holding reset button for more than 10 seconds _usually_ resets any modern phone.
But from my experience _sometimes_ it doesn't work.

And it can be a very big problem for such device like HTC One with non-removable battery.
As well as it seems very hard to disassemble HTC One to unplug and plug back battery.

So my question:
Has anyone had any similar problems with reset function on HTC One?
It's especially interesting to hear experience from kernel developers, who often got non booting kernels.

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
if you keep holding the power button it will activate a hardware reboot function

this is hardware safeguard function, the touch buttons will flicker as an alert till the reboot actually happens

basically its the alternative to battery pull

hope this helps in convincing you :)

Reactions: Cotulla

Giblet-dono

Mar 24, 2009
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus Nord
I have done a LOT of flashing and other crap, and had a lot of mistakes, the only time I came across that the Holding Power OR Power + Volume did NOT work, was when it was (hard) bricked, the phone will go into a QHSUSB_DLOAD mode which I have not found anyway to get it out, after sending it for repairs it came back with a boardswap.

So as far as I have tried about everythign is "resetable" except for this DLOAD Mode

ekksman

Same as everyone above, i have mad silly mistakes bootloop, stuck on HTC logo etc, after hours of panicking I discovered holding the power hardware button will reset the phone no matter what state it is in

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Pointlol

Dec 24, 2011
Hi,

I've never seen this mechanism fail in the 13 months I've owned the HTC One X nor in the ~2 months I've owned the One and Ive used it A LOT. The only thing which happens on the One is that sometimes the sensor needs to be facing a light source when holding the power button to reboot while holding the power button, quite weird honestly, but that's how it is.

biohaufen

Jan 4, 2011
I think that you are able to soft reset it any time, because when I wanted to change my MID to fully convert my One into a Google Edition I had to flash an ENG hboot, after trying to flash the GPE hboot (which succeeded) it was in a QHSUSB_DLOAD mode, but I was able to soft reset it and flash the hboot immediately again.

Enviado desde mi HTC One usando Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: c1-p8

gregneal

Oct 5, 2012
Melbourne
I think that you are able to soft reset it any time, because when I wanted to change my MID to fully convert my One into a Google Edition I had to flash an ENG hboot, after trying to flash the GPE hboot (which succeeded) it was in a QHSUSB_DLOAD mode, but I was able to soft reset it and flash the hboot immediately again.

I had the same. I held down power and volume down (while near a light) and was able to boot to the RUU mode bootloader (with the silver HTC logo)

To the OP:
If you're in a dark room, you'll need to hold the photodetector up to a light in order to do a hard reset by holding the power button. Otherwise the buttons will just continue blinking but it will not reset.

This is a safety measure I believe, so that the phone doesn't accidentally hard reset in your pocket.

Reactions: c1-p8

anit77

Nov 23, 2008
Atlanta
I have hard reset my One dozens of times. From bootloops, stuck at HTC logo, aroma freezes, kernel issues, you name it. I have never held down the volume button. The only times just holding down the power button hasn't worked was while in a dark environment. Holding top of the phone (where the light sensor is) in a light source does the trick.
The only time I hold the volume and power buttons together is immediately after the phone shuts down to get back to hboot and recovery.

Sent from my Tricked HTC One using Tapatalk 2

gregneal

Oct 5, 2012
Melbourne
I have hard reset my One dozens of times. From bootloops, stuck at HTC logo, aroma freezes, kernel issues, you name it. I have never held down the volume button. The only times just holding down the power button hasn't worked was while in a dark environment. Holding top of the phone (where the light sensor is) in a light source does the trick.
The only time I hold the volume and power buttons together is immediately after the phone shuts down to get back to hboot and recovery.

Sent from my Tricked HTC One using Tapatalk 2

This is correct. Holding down volume button is only needed to enter bootloader.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

blaze_cv

Jan 4, 2013
зажми кнопку выключения, сенсорные кнопки будут мигать, если же нужно зайти в hboot, то зажми еще после того, как эеран погаснет кнопку убавления громкости, если не нажмешь, то просто ребутнет телефон или выключит.
это работает безотказно(в большинстве случаев у меня). вне зависимости от ядра и прошивки.

English translate:

Hold down the power button, touch-sensitive buttons will flash, if you need to go to hboot, then hold down even after the screen goes blank button decrease the volume, if not you press, then just reboot the phone or turn off.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I am considering HTC One as a new device for my and DFT hobby developing.
    But I have a question about soft reset function. (at least it was called so in old good WM PDA days :) ).

During hardcore development it's very important to be able reset device at any time in any state.

I know that holding reset button for more than 10 seconds _usually_ resets any modern phone.
    But from my experience _sometimes_ it doesn't work.

And it can be a very big problem for such device like HTC One with non-removable battery.
    As well as it seems very hard to disassemble HTC One to unplug and plug back battery.

So my question:
    Has anyone had any similar problems with reset function on HTC One?
    It's especially interesting to hear experience from kernel developers, who often got non booting kernels.
    if you keep holding the power button it will activate a hardware reboot function

this is hardware safeguard function, the touch buttons will flicker as an alert till the reboot actually happens

basically its the alternative to battery pull

hope this helps in convincing you :)

Enviado desde mi HTC One usando Tapatalk 4 Beta

I had the same. I held down power and volume down (while near a light) and was able to boot to the RUU mode bootloader (with the silver HTC logo)

To the OP:
    If you're in a dark room, you'll need to hold the photodetector up to a light in order to do a hard reset by holding the power button. Otherwise the buttons will just continue blinking but it will not reset.

This is a safety measure I believe, so that the phone doesn't accidentally hard reset in your pocket.