[Q] [Question][App] Shortcut Creator

Search This thread

eTechUncut

Feb 26, 2010
Boston MA
ok so heres the deal. ive been with wm for years and ive always had an app called "shortcut creator". what it basically does is allow you to make a shortcut for exes, apps and folders to launch quickly. ive been looking for about a month now for one for android. what i basically want to do is create a quick launch button on my home launcher that will direct me to a folder that i have files in on my external sd. so basically, i have word, excel, and pdf's in seperate folders that i want to just press an icons on my launcher to go to instead of navigating through 7 different clicks to get to it. does anyone out here know of an app that will make sd folders a shortcut in the launcher homescreen? thanks in advance.

god5337

Nov 13, 2007
ok so heres the deal. ive been with wm for years and ive always had an app called "shortcut creator". what it basically does is allow you to make a shortcut for exes, apps and folders to launch quickly. ive been looking for about a month now for one for android. what i basically want to do is create a quick launch button on my home launcher that will direct me to a folder that i have files in on my external sd. so basically, i have word, excel, and pdf's in seperate folders that i want to just press an icons on my launcher to go to instead of navigating through 7 different clicks to get to it. does anyone out here know of an app that will make sd folders a shortcut in the launcher homescreen? thanks in advance.

Do you mean virtual folders, like Windows 7 or Resco explorer?

eTechUncut

Feb 26, 2010
Boston MA

Do you mean virtual folders, like Windows 7 or Resco explorer?

i thought my post was clear enough. i have no clue what a virtual folder is. i would like to know is there an app for android that will allow me to make a shortcut out of a folder, that is full of media, that is located on my sd card, and place the shortcut on my homescreen so all i have to do is click on that link and it will take me to the sd card folder location so that now i can scroll through lets say pdf files. ok senerio... on my sd card i have a folder called schedules and it is full of pdf's. the folder location is home/external_sd/work/schedules/*pdf files*. i would like to create a shortcut of the folder labeled "schedules", and place that link on my homescreen launcher.

eTechUncut

Feb 26, 2010
Boston MA
if you are familar with windows mobile, its like turning a folder on your sd card into an .ink file and placing it into start/windows/start menu/programs. by doing that, you can create a quick link of that .ink file in lets say cht homescreen and now all you have to do is click it and it will take you to the sd folders location in one simple step.

mikep99

Jan 2, 2010
Up North
This got me thinking...
Have a look at Smart Shortcuts in the market. I've just had a play with it and was able to add a widget to my homescreen that when pressed, would list direct links to specific files or folders.
I hope this is what you were after...
Let us know how you get on :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Reactions: eTechUncut

mikep99

Jan 2, 2010
Up North
Screenshot to explain what I mean...
5b6d3a08-4b73-ae98.jpg

Pressing the 'test' icon brings up a list - 1 folder, 1 file. These are direct links to the appropriate location.
You have to bookmark these 'targets' using the file manager that smart shortcuts asks you to install.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

eTechUncut

Feb 26, 2010
Boston MA
This got me thinking...
Have a look at Smart Shortcuts in the market. I've just had a play with it and was able to add a widget to my homescreen that when pressed, would list direct links to specific files or folders.

thanks for the reply. i am downloading it now.

eTechUncut

Feb 26, 2010
Boston MA
This got me thinking...

5b6d3a08-4b73-ae98.jpg

Pressing the 'test' icon brings up a list - 1 folder, 1 file. These are direct links to the appropriate location.
You have to bookmark these 'targets' using the file manager that smart shortcuts asks you to install.

Hope this helps.

mike you are the man !!! i got it done. now it will only take 2 clicks which is way better than swiping, clicking and more swiping lol. thanks big time for this find!

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
ES File Explorer has a feature to add a shortcut to a folder to the desktop.
1 click and ES opens up sdcard/openrecovery

Oh wow I just looked at it and it has a bookmark manager...
Basically you can make shortcuts in there too and in categores (music, videos, etc) and put a shortcut on your desktop for the bookmark manager as well.

eTechUncut

Feb 26, 2010
Boston MA
ES File Explorer has a feature to add a shortcut to a folder to the desktop.
1 click and ES opens up sdcard/openrecovery

Oh wow I just looked at it and it has a bookmark manager...
Basically you can make shortcuts in there too and in categores (music, videos, etc) and put a shortcut on your desktop for the bookmark manager as well.

i just had a lil time to play with es file explorer and i could not find that feature:confused::confused::confused:

zeppelinrox

Dec 21, 2010
IN THE FREAKIN' OP
Long press on a folder and from the popup menu, select Shortcut.

I just noticed... it works on files too... heh.

For bookmark manager, press Menu, Manager, then Bookmark Manager.
I forget but I think it will prompt you to download it if it isn't already installed.

eTechUncut

Feb 26, 2010
Boston MA

I forget but I think it will prompt you to download it if it isn't already installed.

all i get on the long press is cut, copy, delete, rename, select all, set as home and properties. you might be using a more current version. mine is 1.x.

edit: just got the 1.4 from the market... works

Last edited:

guv.

Aug 6, 2010
astro can do the same thing. just long press on your homescreen, select shortcut and then astro. there you can choose a folder and you get a shortcut to it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That is actually a really good idea, I can't think of anything that can do this. +1 to this post.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    This got me thinking...

5b6d3a08-4b73-ae98.jpg

Hope this helps.

Ok. Keep us updated.
    Time for sleep.....

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone