[Q] Quick Questions: Note Update on T-Mobile

Search This thread
Apr 6, 2011
So my aunt has am AT&T Galaxy Note on T-Mobile and I told the store she purchased the phone from to flash the T-Mobile radios so that she can get 4G HSPA+ but the device is stuck on gingerbread and I would really like to update it to stock Jellybean with Touchwiz? If I use Odin to flash the latest update will she lose her unlock? But then will it need to be unlocked now that T-Mobile has 4G LTE in Las Vegas? I figured all she would need to do is buy a new T-Mobile 4G LTE compatible SIM and then use that but I'm not sure. Can the new firmware be rooted and can it be unlocked if need be? Also, she broke the mirco-usb port so is there any way that I can flash to stock without the use of that port? I'm really sorry for all the questions but if anyone could answer them I would be very grateful.

Apr 6, 2011
If the usb port is broken, you won't be able to use Odin. Is the device rooted? If it is there is hope! If not, you're up the river without a paddle.

I know right but luckily the device is rooted and because the shop said they flashed the T-Mobile radios, I believe it has a custom recovery on it.

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
Whew! I'm glad to hear you're already rooted. You can forget about Odin now. Flashing roms ands modems thru recovery won't lose your unlocked SIM info. First thing I would do is update your recovery. Then you can flash a new JB rom. A lot of newer roms depend on TWRP recovery. You can find that here in the original android development section. Read carefully and follow the install via .zip way. Since you're on tmobile I'd read the post just before this one about JB and what modems are working best. I'm on at&t so I can't help you there. They also remark on what roms they are running. You can follow their lead, or check out all three available roms in the development selection. Again read the developers directions, and make sure the rom is for your device before you flash anything. Then enjoy!

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
I didn't see any mention of having installed a custom recovery. If the OP hasn't done that he can still update to the latest stock rom using Kies Air. He can get that from the app store.

Being rooted has nothing to do with any of this. Rom flashing only depends on having 1) a pc with Odin and a working usb port, or 2)having a custom recovery already installed.

Flashing a custom rom won't affect the radio you already have, but if you update to the JB stock rom it will flash the current baseband (modem).

Unlocking is permanent. No flashing can change that phone back to a locked state.

Yes, you need a 4G LTE sim card, but under even best conditions you will mostly see 4G only (HSPA+ ).

Last edited:

Christogq

May 17, 2007
Houston
I might be wrong, but to use T-Mobile's LTE you have to use a stock AT&T Rom. I'm in Houston and we just got LTE here.

scariola

Nov 15, 2009
Sandy Eggo, CA
For real? So I can use a different Rom? Does it still have to be like a 4.0.4 version or can I use something more current?
You can use your choice of stock or custom roms with LTE.

UCLF6, UCMB4, UCMD3 can all be used under ICS, JB custom roms. 4.0.4, 4.1.2, 4.2.2 or the likes. Cyanogenmod, paranoid, slim, padawan, it doesn't matter.

On anything but stock samsung you can *#*#4636#*#* into dialer then phone options to change between lte and wcdma or all. Also available under settings/mobile network/preference.

Those are the 3 most current modems with access to LTE. UCLF6 being from the official ICS last year.

Reactions: Christogq

Christogq

May 17, 2007
Houston

UCLF6, UCMB4, UCMD3 can all be used under ICS, JB custom roms. 4.0.4, 4.1.2, 4.2.2 or the likes. Cyanogenmod, paranoid, slim, padawan, it doesn't matter.

On anything but stock samsung you can *#*#4636#*#* into dialer then phone options to change between lte and wcdma or all. Also available under settings/mobile network/preference.

Those are the 3 most current modems with access to LTE. UCLF6 being from the official ICS last year.

How/Why do you know this lol? All I knew about was the *# stuff lol. You have just made my day bro! Thank you so much!

lildaddym

Mar 7, 2013
Texas City
I tried to update my I717 (AT&T) and have nothing but access to restore or download mode...it errored out, then I didn't do the emergency backup right away. When I tried to do it later, I get about 96% of the way done, and it errors out....

Poriotis

Apr 3, 2012
Los Angeles
A lot of newer roms depend on TWRP recovery.
I don't think there is a dependence on which recovery you use but more of a recommendation. I've flashed many ROMs with CWM that the developer recommended using TWRP and they worked just fine. So, long as you do the procedure right, it doesn't matter what recovery you use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I might be wrong, but to use T-Mobile's LTE you have to use a stock AT&T Rom. I'm in Houston and we just got LTE here.
    Not an ATT rom.... but an ATT MODEM.

That and setting the fast.t-mobile.com APN will give access to T-Mobile LTE.
    For real? So I can use a different Rom? Does it still have to be like a 4.0.4 version or can I use something more current?

How/Why do you know this lol? All I knew about was the *# stuff lol. You have just made my day bro! Thank you so much!
    I've been an android since tmobile. :)

That and being Computer/SmartPhone Technical Support....I constantly try to be in "the know".

Shoot I fix cars now and never changed my oil before 2 years ago. :p