[Q] Random freezing when screen is turned off

Search This thread

liquidxtc13

Jun 18, 2010
Hi guys,

I've bought my Nexus 5 about 2 months ago and I'm pretty happy with it. So far. Since a few days it freezes randomly. Particularly when the screen is turned off. The effect usually occurs when I turn off the screen and turn it back on right away. Also, when I plug off the charger. Usually, I just have to wait 3 seconds and I can turn it back on. But sometimes I have to wait up to a few minutes until it works again. That usually doesn't happen to often, but I have the feeling it's getting more often.

Any ideas?

Btw: My phone is rooted, but no other modifications where made.

Cheers, Liquid

Hi guys,

I've bought my Nexus 5 about 2 months ago and I'm pretty happy with it. So far. Since a few days it freezes randomly. Particularly when the screen is turned off. The effect usually occurs when I turn off the screen and turn it back on right away. Also, when I plug off the charger. Usually, I just have to wait 3 seconds and I can turn it back on. But sometimes I have to wait up to a few minutes until it works again. That usually doesn't happen to often, but I have the feeling it's getting more often.

Any ideas?

Btw: My phone is rooted, but no other modifications where made.

Cheers, Liquid

Are you using any Xposed modules or any other root tools?

CitizenLee

Aug 21, 2009
Aberdeen
I can't help with the problem, but if you're rooted anyway then it might be time to dip your toes into the wonderful world of custom ROMs :D

I suggest Purity, Elix-R or Cataclysm.. but I expect if you try Purity first you'll stick with it :good:

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
As far as I'm concerned, no. I rooted the Nexus with a Nexus Rootkit. After the root I found BusyBox Free,Quick boot and SuperUser in the app menu.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
That's weird to have Quick Boot app after rooting... Are u using any app to manage your lockscreen or notifications?
Does it appear right after rooting?

liquidxtc13

Jun 18, 2010
I can't help with the problem, but if you're rooted anyway then it might be time to dip your toes into the wonderful world of custom ROMs :D

I suggest Purity, Elix-R or Cataclysm.. but I expect if you try Purity first you'll stick with it :good:

I started using custom roms, with my XDA Orbit and then later on with my HD2 and I got stuck with Cyanogen. So I'm solemnly awaiting the stable hammerhead version. ;) But since you've mentioned three other roms, I guess I'll just have a look at them for the lulz :cyclops:

That's weird to have Quick Boot app after rooting... Are u using any app to manage your lockscreen or notifications?
No sir, everthing plain nexus. Not even a custom launcher :cowboy:

Does it appear right after rooting?
No it didn't appear right after rooting. I rooted my phone, the day after it arrived. The Problems started about 2 to 3 weeks ago.

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
I started using custom roms, with my XDA Orbit and then later on with my HD2 and I got stuck with Cyanogen. So I'm solemnly awaiting the stable hammerhead version. ;) But since you've mentioned three other roms, I guess I'll just have a look at them for the lulz :cyclops:

No sir, everthing plain nexus. Not even a custom launcher :cowboy:

No it didn't appear right after rooting. I rooted my phone, the day after it arrived. The Problems started about 2 to 3 weeks ago.
It's time to flash custom stuff :) My phone is immediately turns on after pressing power button. (Linaro kernel)

liquidxtc13

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks guys for your support on flashing a custom rom ;)

But nevertheless, that still doesnt' explain where those random freezes are coming from. Any idea how I could at least narrow my search for the root cause down?

Last edited:

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
The logical way would be to reset and install one app at a time, but its a long process.

Could do that or use Greenify and a task manager to see what's running, and to auto kill everything but the essentials with Greenify. Task manager would only be for checking running processes. Grab rom toolbox, it has a task manager and an auto run manager. If I had to guess, it's something that has no business running all the time anyhow.