[Q] RCA 7" 8GB Tablet

Search This thread

deathscreations

Nov 8, 2013
I need help figuring out how to root a RCA RCT6077W22 tablet. It has Android Jellybean 4.1.1- v1.0.1, 8GB built in storage, 1GHZ processor, Google apps installed, kernel is 3.0.36+EM2928-789A@V01M#132.I'd like to try to root it from the tablet itself if not I'm familiar with SuperOneClick as I've used it for my Samsung Galaxy S 4G before I should it. If it comes to that option I need to be able to use a rooting program on my computer that does not require internet the only internet I am able to use is the libraries. I have a laptop but no charger so my laptop is dead. I'm not a noon when it comes to rooting as I've mentioned I've done it before. Just need help finding a root for this tablet. I appreciate any help I get and thank you. If you need more info feel free to ask. I've also looked at the topic about the 4GB but its not that helpful is why I created my own topic.

quiverking

Mar 17, 2014
I managed to put the updates for 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 on a sd card, and started the boot recovery, selected [ apply update from external storage ], Selected the updates and installed them in the order 1.0.1, then 1.0.2, Rebooted the device and no more boot loop , everything started up fine and ran good. but root is gone so you will need to root the device again.

I would not recommend this if you are using a custom ROM, and or changed the recovery image on the device. I was still using the stock ROM with Root. What caused my boot loop is when i did a factory reset.

Here is the update files i used to fix my problem, www DOT dropbox DOT com/sh/tzt9uvdzr0gp7qq/ZjYQoIxD5j

Here is some updates on the rom, Its been removed from the device and now looking at a way to connect it, using USB or serial. I will keep you all up to date.

I have allot of things to get fixed at this time. and sorry for not responding quickly.

Taraku

I tried to follow your link but file is not found the only choice it gave me was to buy dropbox:(

Jammrock

Dec 25, 2006
I dropped those updates to a microSD and dropped the updates on my son's tablet. Still won't boot. Just sits there on the RCA boot screen.

I loaded 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 and rebooted. It eventually went to the droid recovery screen, but never to the OS. Then tried 1.0.7. No luck. Even tried a factory reset.

I guess you get what you pay for.

quiverking

Mar 17, 2014
4.1 jelly bean kernel source code

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I just found an rk3066 android 4.1 jelly bean KERNEL source code it's in tar format, as I can not post links yet I downloaded it and will private message it to anyone that may wish to check it out for possible usage for the rct6378w2 recovery effort

Reactions: jinaL.nj

jetplane1823

May 8, 2014
recovery buttons

This should help someone, to get into recovery hold vol up then hold power for about 5 to 6 secs,let go of power keep holding vol and the dogs screen will appear you could et go of vol at this point, then an android will appear, press vol again and your in. And to root i used vroot, as was mentioned earlier in the post, its the new free version, i just had download an su from market, and go to settings delete other su apk, then install in system, reboot, and you should be good. Im also waiting on a cwm, i have the files, i just dont know how to customize yet.

jinaL.nj

May 20, 2014
No command Error

My RCA showing "no command" error in the start up itself. Tried factory reset also but wont work. Every help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

zoxcalibur

May 6, 2009
the link works i just tried it but the tablet still hangs on the logo is there an original factory recovery image available or has anyone tried to do a sideload via adb that could be a possible option

kentdinh

Jun 20, 2014
Stock Rom RCA rct6378w2

Can you send me a stock Rom rct6378w2 for recovery my RCA ? my kid done something with titanium backup now i can't download or install anything even factory reset or hard reset. Please send me a stock room or custom room to repair ,. tks a lot and sorry for the inconvinience my english is not very well.

himcules

Jun 23, 2014
rct6378w2 need some assistance...

hello...I just joined...and here is my sad tale I got this tablet for free to play with...it did not work...period.charging port was fried..so I went on ebay and bought a new motherboard installed it, worked, cool, then I wanted to root it, since jellybean wont allow me to put apps on my sd, got kingo, pdanet, google drivers. got it rooted...tried almost every app known to man to get my apps on my 64 gig sd, then I stumbled accros this website that told me that the answer to my problems was with the file vold.fstab...it described how to alter this file and swap the external for internal space... I foolishly altered the vold.fstab file to try to use my 64 gb external sd card for storage for apps...and now , after I restarted, it wont boot, I can connect via usb and the device shows up in adb mode and I have the drivers on my computer, I can also get to the recovery screen ( the one with the android on his back with chest open, but I cannot get it to recover, ive done the factory reset on it, the one that allows it to wipe and start over, but to no avail, any suggestions?i think I still have the original file of vol.fstab somewhere on the tablet, or even on the external sd card since I saved it before I altered it....but I don't know what to do now...im new to the android thing...so any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

jinaL.nj

May 20, 2014
Here is the Direct Link to the update.zip this will download the latest update for the RCT6378W2.

50.57.107.96:2300/OtaUpdater/android?product=RCT6378W2&version=1.0.1

That will download directly from the RCA OTA server.

I am getting some error that says assert failed:package_extrat_dir("sysytem"."/system"). Can you help me with this? Btw this is the only file that worked a bit on my tab. SS shows the error.

Pixel_McFly

May 16, 2013
nandroid backup

My tablet is stuck on rca logo (i already make a wipe/factory reset), can somebody make a nandroid backup and post it for me, please?
I will try to make a flashable zip wih that nandroid backup and sideload to stock recovery

due the lack of custom recovery i think this can work

"Online Nandroid Backup * ROOT"

com.h3r3t1c.onnandbup

jinaL.nj

May 20, 2014
My tablet is stuck on rca logo (i already make a wipe/factory reset), can somebody make a nandroid backup and post it for me, please?
I will try to make a flashable zip wih that nandroid backup and sideload to stock recovery

due the lack of custom recovery i think this can work

"Online Nandroid Backup * ROOT"

com.h3r3t1c.onnandbup

Please inform me too if that helps you out. but my device is killed by using some update.zip file. :crying:

jeremyb234

Aug 17, 2014
Hello All,

This has been the most active forum discussion I can find for the RCA Tablets that I could find. Until now, I've been reading all 28 pages and doing much research. My tablet is the RCT6378W2 Dual Core RCA 7" tablet. I have never rooted the device, enabled usb debugging, or used a custom rom or recovery. One day I was using the tablet, and it stopped, the screen faded out, and it restarted. However, since then, it has not been able to get past the White RCA screen with the dogs on it. I have learned how to access the stock "Android System Recovery <3e>". For anyone who does not know how to do this. I will explain:

1. Turn tablet off.
2. Hold down the volume up(+) key. While holding this, press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds. Release the power button while continuing to hold the volume up key. Within a few seconds, the device should power on with the white dogs. Keep holding volume up key. After a few more seconds, the screen will go black. Keep holding volume up. Then you will see a black screen with a android robot lying down with a red triangle with a ! mark on it. Release the volume up button. In order to access the options, briefly press the power button and volume up key at the same time and release. You should see about 7 recovery options on a list. You can navigate the list by pressing the volume + and - keys, and select and option by pressing the power key (don't hold, just press).

Anyways, RCA will recommend first trying the "wipe cache partition" option. If this doesn't work, then try "wipe data/factory reset" option. After doing this, select "reboot system now". This is as far as RCA technical support goes. If this doesn't work, they will give you a ticket # and instructions to send the tablet to Venturer Electronics in Lockport, NY for repair. Part of the problem is that RCA has not released the firmwares for this unit. They claim to not have it. They might be right, as the tablet was made by Foxconn International. Anyways... Venturer Electronics claims to not have the firmwares either, so I don't know what they think they can do with it besides replacing hardware. Anyways, because my unit still powers on, the screen works, and recovery system is still workable, it seems like there should still be some small chance of getting this to work.

I have tried nearly everything. I hardly know what I'm doing, but all of the instructions I've found do not work. I've tried downloading other firmwares that should work, and they never do. I have managed to connect my device to my computer and communicate with it via ADB (one of the options on recovery system). I have also attempted to flash these roms via micro SD card, but have always been rejected after failing verification. The only thing I have had any success in was installing some update files that someone provided a dropbox link to. These files were 1.0.2.zip , 1.0.3.zip, and 1.0.7.zip. All three of these firmware files have been accepted and successfully applied to my tablet via ADB. To my knowledge, these firmwares are not complete android roms, but are actually updates that were provided to the RCA tablets.

This brings me to my final thought (sorry for all the back story...). Because these update firmwares are the only ones that seem to be accepted by the stock android recovery system, is there any way to alter them to include the rest of the android operating system? I have heard about tools that can repackage these update files to include virtually anything you want. However, I have tried repacking these updates as is, and the new update.zip fails verification. So, I think that there must be some way to manually alter these updates. Perhaps, maybe this is not possible. What do you think?

One last thing, if there is anybody out there who has successfully recovered this tablet from a non-booting state to a functional android operating state, please tell us how you did it! If anyone out there has a working firmware for these tablets, please post! (You can send me a private message too!)

Taraku

Dec 6, 2013
Doing what i can

I have been busy with work the past few months. Time is running short. i did get mine to recover from a crash, and all it took was a basic reset and install the updates. at work this idea just hit me. its a rockchip that is on the board. so this would be no different from what is in a mk802... since we are working with that. there must be a way to build a custom ROM, that will use the RCA update signature. allowing us to install things. i agree with your post on using it. but we need someone that would take there time to do so. the other side of me is saying that its a limited edition tablet. RCA only put them out for black Friday. so not many people have them. if we put our heads together we can turn this tablet into something better. just wish i had the money and time to put into this project. that and someone would donate there tablet to a someone that can reverse engineer it. broke or not. When i get time off i am going to look more into the hardware part of it. better screen. because this RockChip can support a 1080p display. HDMI, ect. if you have any ideas or if you want to help start this . let me know. i will be slow at responding to your messages.

Taraku

jeremyb234

Aug 17, 2014
I have been busy with work the past few months. Time is running short. i did get mine to recover from a crash, and all it took was a basic reset and install the updates. at work this idea just hit me. its a rockchip that is on the board. so this would be no different from what is in a mk802... since we are working with that. there must be a way to build a custom ROM, that will use the RCA update signature. allowing us to install things. i agree with your post on using it. but we need someone that would take there time to do so. the other side of me is saying that its a limited edition tablet. RCA only put them out for black Friday. so not many people have them. if we put our heads together we can turn this tablet into something better. just wish i had the money and time to put into this project. that and someone would donate there tablet to a someone that can reverse engineer it. broke or not. When i get time off i am going to look more into the hardware part of it. better screen. because this RockChip can support a 1080p display. HDMI, ect. if you have any ideas or if you want to help start this . let me know. i will be slow at responding to your messages.

Taraku

Taraku, thanks for your response. It seems like there SHOULD be a way to take some of the contents from another tablet with same motherboard and processor (similar specs) and insert them into one of these RCA firmware updates. It would take the expertise of one who really understands the process of how these signatures work. I've come to the realization that I can do all the research in the world, but unless I learn computer programming, I'm probably not going to be able to do this. I have asked a few people if this was possible, but the answers I've heard have not been positive. It seems to come down to this, there is not enough interest by experienced programmers to get these devices back on track. I do not know your level of expertise on this stuff, but I'd be interested to see if you can get this fixed. I have contacted RCA, and they have given me a ticket number and instructions to send it to Venturer Electronics for repair/replacement. Thankfully, Venturer Electronics has confirmed receipt of this ticket number. At this point, I'm considering sending it to them. It sounds like there is a very high chance that they cannot do anything about fixing it because they do not have the OS firmware either (maybe the manufacturer Foxconn International has this). So, most likely, they will send me a replacement. It would be nice if they sent me an upgraded model, but I won't hold my breath. :)

rsktkr1

Nov 10, 2009
DENVER
Only Way I can connect is with ADB Wireless

I finally can use adb with this device - but only with ADB wireless. I was able to root this device and with "ADB Over Wi-Fi Helper" application (search XDA) and Rom Tool Box Pro I can turn on ADB wireless and connect with ADB. Since there is no boot loader can't use fastboot. Wish I could make fastboot work - I tried RKTools with no luck. Would like to flash a recovery maybe from another tablet.

UPDATE WAS ABLE TO GET ADB USB WORKING BEFORE I BRICKED IT (SEE BELOW).

Last edited:

rsktkr1

Nov 10, 2009
DENVER
Think I bricked this

I was able to root this device and I installed a different font with ROM Toolbox Pro and now I am in a boot loop. Only ADB access is do a ADB sideload of a zip. Does anyone know how I can reflash the stock rom via adb sideload (need rom zip)? ADB is working via Android recovery but only alows ADB Sideload now - other ADB functions are NOT allowed. Before this I bootloop I had ADB working fine.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

I have the original nand file that I pulled from the root. How do you make that into a zip. I am in the same situtuation.

jeremyb234

Aug 17, 2014
I was able to root this device and I installed a different font with ROM Toolbox Pro and now I am in a boot loop. Only ADB access is do a ADB sideload of a zip. Does anyone know how I can reflash the stock rom via adb sideload (need rom zip)? ADB is working via Android recovery but only alows ADB Sideload now - other ADB functions are NOT allowed. Before this I bootloop I had ADB working fine.

Congrats on rooting the device. I have had one of these tablets stuck on the white dog RCA screen. I think there was a corrupted system file or something. Anyways, I did lots of research, tried tons of types of roms, etc. To my knowledge, I believe the ADB sideload function is only for installing .apk files, not installing entire ROMs. Learning this, supposing it to be true, crushed my hope of fixing this device. The only other option I've found was to do the update from SD card or cable. However, I've only been able to find 3 rom files that were accepted by this function. They were 3 minor OS updates released by RCA. The links to these should be available on this forum. I think the file names were 1.0.2.zip, 1.0.3.zip, and 1.0.7.zip or something like that. These zip files contain only minor adjustments to the OS, but do not contain the stock ROM. I have contacted RCA and Venturer Electronics (The company who is selling these tablets under the RCA brand), and neither company claims to have access to this factory rom.

My only other thoughts were to see if there was a way to modify these update roms in a way that would reinstall the operating system. However, making the slightest change would cause it to be rejected by the Android Recovery Console. I believe there is some sort of digital signature that is needed to make the system accept the updates. I gave up on it. Anyways, maybe you can pick up where I left off and breathe some life into these devices.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Congrats on rooting the device. I have had one of these tablets stuck on the white dog RCA screen. I think there was a corrupted system file or something. Anyways, I did lots of research, tried tons of types of roms, etc. To my knowledge, I believe the ADB sideload function is only for installing .apk files, not installing entire ROMs. Learning this, supposing it to be true, crushed my hope of fixing this device. The only other option I've found was to do the update from SD card or cable. However, I've only been able to find 3 rom files that were accepted by this function. They were 3 minor OS updates released by RCA. The links to these should be available on this forum. I think the file names were 1.0.2.zip, 1.0.3.zip, and 1.0.7.zip or something like that. These zip files contain only minor adjustments to the OS, but do not contain the stock ROM. I have contacted RCA and Venturer Electronics (The company who is selling these tablets under the RCA brand), and neither company claims to have access to this factory rom.

My only other thoughts were to see if there was a way to modify these update roms in a way that would reinstall the operating system. However, making the slightest change would cause it to be rejected by the Android Recovery Console. I believe there is some sort of digital signature that is needed to make the system accept the updates. I gave up on it. Anyways, maybe you can pick up where I left off and breathe some life into these devices.

I don't know much about Nand files, but I think the challenge is to create an update.zip file that will actually be accepted by the Android Recovery System. One would have to know much about how these things are packaged, how they are signed, and how to create one with the proper signature required for it to be accepted and installed by this system. I've asked around about this, but have never received any positive answers... even from people who know much more than me.

rsktkr1

Nov 10, 2009
DENVER

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

I don't know much about Nand files, but I think the challenge is to create an update.zip file that will actually be accepted by the Android Recovery System. One would have to know much about how these things are packaged, how they are signed, and how to create one with the proper signature required for it to be accepted and installed by this system. I've asked around about this, but have never received any positive answers... even from people who know much more than me.
I made a back up of a file called rk30xxnand_ko.ko.3.0.36+ that is 162KB in size that I pulled from the root of the device before I bricked it. I believe this is the recovery file for the original rom. I can upload to dropbox if anyone can do anything with it. I wonder if this file could be converted to a zip. Its a RAR file.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the rct6378w2 RCA 7' 8GB tablet (4.2.2 JB). (Black Friday 2013 Walmart for $49)
    I was able to root it by first installing the pdanet drivers (for adb access). And then using the kingo app, which you can get from http://www.kingoapp.com/.
    Its free but closed source. I found it via this youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MiZtZCqu4k

Worked even with the 1.0.2 update installed (which I have no clue what it did (17MB).
    how are you turning on usb debugging? I also have this tablet(purchased on black Friday from Walmart like everyone else) and mine doesn't seem to have that option anywhere. in fact, compared to the previous two android products I have, this device seems to lack ALOT of available functions. though I am capable of navigating a recovery menu at boot. but that doesn't do me any good for using pdanet. that seems to be my biggest road block. pdanet wont install because the onl;y way I can allow my device to connect to my pc with adp is using the adp updater in the recovery boot menu.

It is a hidden option that needs to be enabled. Follow this guide: www ninjaromeo com / enable-usb-debugging-developer-options-jelly-bean/

I just enabled this option on my Walmart BF 7" RCA RCT6378W2 tablet.

Sorry I had to mangle the link because XDA wont let me link external sources yet.
    It is a hidden option that needs to be enabled. Follow this guide: www ninjaromeo com / enable-usb-debugging-developer-options-jelly-bean/

I just enabled this option on my Walmart BF 7" RCA RCT6378W2 tablet.

Sorry I had to mangle the link because XDA wont let me link external sources yet.

Thanks, that sorted things out.

To make clear, and aid in any other inquiries, I managed to find an ADP connection mode, among other android update features. with the device off, hold volume up while turning the device on. it should boot to an image of an android with an open chest panel and the words, "no command". if you push volume up again it will provide you with options and instructions on how to execute. you can manual update the device with an SDK through USB ADP mode this way. I'm not sure if that makes anything simpler or generates a work around but I hope it helps with future development for this device.
    Which procedure would you recommend using to root the RCT6378W2 tablet? What N00b-un-2 has mentioned in his post #93 or how Takenover83 used PDANET which he has explained in post #4? My main concern for KitKat 4.4.2 is, does it really help the battery life compared to Jelly Bean 4.2.2? I have disabled Wifi, Data Sync, GPS, lowered brightness, all sound volumes, all manually since i've noticed that these battery saver applications don't help that much, but hopefully they have changed alot of things in KitKat compared to Jelly Bean to make it more battery friendly.
    Also once i do root and go along with what you have fixed up for us, the System Update won't be working anymore, correct? Like the bloatware applications that i'm noticing won't be updating anymore, but how about the applications and games i'm downloading from Google Play Store, would they be able to update? Anyhow thanks in advance.

LOL, slow done on the questions.

1. Yes, install PDANet, and let it install those drivers, then use the kingo root program
    2. IF I can achieve a successful rom, what we SHOULD see is significant battery and performance increase as we have a more modern kernel.
    3. Never use a battery saving app. Everything you have done is a good thing so far except those app.
    4. KitKat was designed for lower-end devices in mind, but first I need to achieve 4.3 to ensure that a successful ROM can be passed to 4.4
    5. Yes, this will break RCA's update system, so I will highly suggest a nandroid backup before hand, which will be possible as soon as I get the recovery built.
    6. Your apps will be able to be updated just as normal

Please be patient with me on this. I have many things going on in my life
    1. I have three young boys, and my first baby girl on the way (due in April)
    2. I am in college (at home study :) ) currently doing a leadership class and studying for my CCNA.
    3. The wife gives me dirty looks if I spend too much time on these things and "break" the boys tablets.
    4. Also, I will be building for the 7" and the 8" as I have both, as soon as I figure out if there is any differences between the two
    Glad I could help a few. Now, someone get on a functional recovery ;p
    I have poked around a little at the stock recovery, backing it up, etc.. But am not brave enough to try and get CWM working on it.

I was able to use th Xposed framework for a few mod's no problem. Battery mod, reboot menu, hide navbar, etc.. But Xposed can only do so much.

Edit: I heard on reddit this tool also works for rooting. I have not tested it (already rooted with the other method).
    http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/