[Q] RCA RCT6773W22 8GB 7-Inch Touchscreen Tablet - Rooted, but now in bootloop!

Search This thread

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
We've managed to get this rooted (see other thread) but now after an adjustment I made, mine's bootlooping.

I did a ton of digging and while there's no apparent ROMs out there, this is a generically made tablet under several brands and makes beyond RCA. RCA and Voyager (RCA Tab parent) claim not to have the ROM for downloading, but that makes no sense for three reasons:

1) How did my tablet know if I had the latest firmware version, etc? It had to surf somewhere and do a check, why can't that also be public or can anyone determine it and we can snag a copy ourselves to distribute?

2) What're they going to do with it if we send it back for 'repair'? I haven't found anyone who has but I'd bet if you tracked the Serial # it'd just be different and they bulk the bricked ones back to China for reloading and resale as 'refurbished'.

3) How exactly did this sucker get MADE? If you had the ROM to load it, hand it built for you, why can't you get it (and back to the updating issue)?

I've discovered this is a Gigabyte based setup, they have a similar model showing but that doesn't mean they made it either - just the hardware states that's what it is. We can't do a ROM that doesn't work on an ARM7 CPU, so the Intel Inside stuff's worthless.

Here's a China declaration about this unit:

We company SHENZHEN ZOWEE TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD hereby declares:
The product model(s):
DPM7828,DPM7827,DPM7826,TM7005,TM7006,TM7008,NB7856,NB7866 is
identical in the same PCB layout, interior structure and electrical circuits with
the model M7054 which tested in Shenzhen Huatongwei International
Inspection Co., Ltd, the only differences are the model name for commercial
purpose.
The trademarks TMAX, APEX, DOPO, NOBIS, DAGE, NUVISION will be
selected by different customers owing to commercial requirements.

I looked up all those models and brands, again similar stuff but customized for their resale and none have a ROM anywhere that seems to be close!

So any further info you find, tag it onto this thread and if anyone can find a ROM that'd at least get back to access I'd be grateful!

I can ADB, but only sideload.
I can use the microSD, can even push a load to the tab with something on the card but can't find anything.
Have done the wipes, etc. and regardless it keeps rebooting over and over endlessly.

Last change I did was to make Titanium Backup convert to a System file and force it thus I think that's what it's doing and I can't stop it. I'm not that experienced enough with Android (vs. Linux and servers, etc.) to be able to get to and edit some files others have noted that might get me back to normal booting, but without anything but ADB sideloading that may be kinda pointless anyways.

Open to any ideas, thoughts and otherwise! This is a nice, basic tablet with some decent power for the price so if you're hear to just bash stuff or make stupid comments please look elsewhere. Hundreds of us are looking so the solution finder would be a hero!

canodroid15

Apr 5, 2014
Town Creek Alabama
www.teamoctos.com
Hey guys my daughter got one of these for X-mas, I've not attempted to root it as the kernel date is August 7 2014 and from what I gather any phone or tab with a kernel dated after that can't be rooted yet, I haven't taken any ota's yet either as I've learned my lesson on that in the past, lol! Just wondering if you guys have the same kernel date as mine? I'd love to get xposed on this thing. Thanks in advance, nice to see a dedicated thread for this tab!

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
Hey guys my daughter got one of these for X-mas, I've not attempted to root it as the kernel date is August 7 2014 and from what I gather any phone or tab with a kernel dated after that can't be rooted yet, I haven't taken any ota's yet either as I've learned my lesson on that in the past, lol! Just wondering if you guys have the same kernel date as mine? I'd love to get xposed on this thing. Thanks in advance, nice to see a dedicated thread for this tab!

My kernel version is Nov 21 2014. Hmm, I wonder if there was an exploit in the older kernel that was patched in the newer version and if so if we could somehow reinstall the older kernel through recovery to re-enable that exploit...

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
My kernel version is Nov 21 2014. Hmm, I wonder if there was an exploit in the older kernel that was patched in the newer version and if so if we could somehow reinstall the older kernel through recovery to re-enable that exploit...

I can't see my version sadly, but the ID is:
RCT6773-ANDROID4.4.2-6378-V28-V1.7.21

As mentioned I did get it rooted, then did something stupid to get the bootloop. That's all on me, but I rebooted multiple times after root without any incidents, I know exactly how I caused it.

There was some updates elsewhere here from the RCA OTA service, but when I cracked them open they're all for the 6077 model so they'd bomb verification just for not matching! I dont' even know if there's any updates for this one, I never got any when I tried and said it was the most recent. I also tried to change the URL for the OTA and nothing is there for our model.

Whatever we can find seems to have to be something that'll physically change the ROM. I'm looking at the update files from the other models to see if something sticks out we could use to trigger it past this restricted Recovery bootloader. Backups, even my own, keep failing because they need the right MD5 checksum in order to work and it's near impossible to get that especially if you're bootlooped or bricked!

When I try to apply an 'update', mine gets to between the N and the G in installing before it errors out with a problem (not checksum). That's as far as I can get, though from that progress it's getting to a certain point at leasT?

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
Well, I took the plunge and rooted with iRoot and surprisingly it's not really that bad. I want to switch to SuperSu, so I tried freezing the Super User installed by iRoot, then installing SuperSu, and uninstalling Super User, but that just made me lose root. So I rerooted using iRoot and am stuck with their Super User for now, which is ok I guess. If anyone has specific instructions on how to switch over from the Chinese Super User to SuperSu, please let me know. Thanks.

Anyways, now that I've rooted the tablet and don't seem to have any (immediate) problems or issues,YET, I've made a nandroid backup (both in CWM format and TWRP) of the /boot, /recovery, /system, /data, and /cache folders. I just pulled the CWM and am pulling the TWRP files to my laptop now with adb so once it is done I'll upload it to Google Drive. Here is the link to the main folder which will contain all of my uploads related to this tablet.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6Yc110W0bfmSlBMbmh0N2R0VmM&usp=sharing

Maybe we'll be able to deduce something from that information and perhaps solve the MD5 checksum roadblock that PSCGOhio was having among other things.

Last edited:

canodroid15

Apr 5, 2014
Town Creek Alabama
www.teamoctos.com

I actually ran into this problem on a Straighttalk s3 (VZW varient) &couldn't root for the 8/7/14 kernel date, I did however get it rooted by Odin flashing the older tar, not sure there's much hope with this tab tho, how ever I've been extracting CM11 apps from my s3 like Apollo, DSP, clock, cm file manager, etc and transferring vie SD card and surprisingly everyone of them installed on the data partition of the tab, pretty sweet!! I still wish I could root this thing tho,

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
I actually ran into this problem on a Straighttalk s3 (VZW varient) &couldn't root for the 8/7/14 kernel date, I did however get it rooted by Odin flashing the older tar, not sure there's much hope with this tab tho, how ever I've been extracting CM11 apps from my s3 like Apollo, DSP, clock, cm file manager, etc and transferring vie SD card and surprisingly everyone of them installed on the data partition of the tab, pretty sweet!! I still wish I could root this thing tho,

Awesome. I'm glad that worked for you. And you can actually, though I've heard other methods have worked for some, iroot has worked for me. Although I still have to figure out how to swap their Chinese Super User for Super SU lol

canodroid15

Apr 5, 2014
Town Creek Alabama
www.teamoctos.com
Awesome. I'm glad that worked for you. And you can actually, though I've heard other methods have worked for some, iroot has worked for me. Although I still have to figure out how to swap their Chinese Super User for Super SU lol

You guys have cwm or twrp, for this tab?

---------- Post added at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 AM ----------

Can't you just install SuperSU from play & let it update the binaries then remove the old su management app that's what I've done on similar devices b4

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
You guys have cwm or twrp, for this tab?

---------- Post added at 05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 AM ----------

Can't you just install SuperSU from play & let it update the binaries then remove the old su management app that's what I've done on similar devices b4

It's still being worked on although I was reading about different possibilities in another thread
and
If SuperSu actually found the binaries for my tablet, then yes I could. However the update binaries process failed so, I was unable to do so.

Reactions: canodroid15

canodroid15

Apr 5, 2014
Town Creek Alabama
www.teamoctos.com
Hey guys need a little help, I managed to root with iroot kinda, the su binary is in xbin & weird superuser apk is in app drawer & can't be uninstalled but I can't get root access, I've tried everything? Not new to rooting at all but new to Chinese lol? any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
Well, I took the plunge and rooted with iRoot and surprisingly it's not really that bad. I want to switch to SuperSu, so I tried freezing the Super User installed by iRoot, then installing SuperSu, and uninstalling Super User, but that just made me lose root. So I rerooted using iRoot and am stuck with their Super User for now, which is ok I guess. If anyone has specific instructions on how to switch over from the Chinese Super User to SuperSu, please let me know. Thanks.

Anyways, now that I've rooted the tablet and don't seem to have any (immediate) problems or issues,YET, I've made a nandroid backup (both in CWM format and TWRP) of the /boot, /recovery, /system, /data, and /cache folders. I just pulled the CWM and am pulling the TWRP files to my laptop now with adb so once it is done I'll upload it to Google Drive. Here is the link to the main folder which will contain all of my uploads related to this tablet.

Maybe we'll be able to deduce something from that information and perhaps solve the MD5 checksum roadblock that PSCGOhio was having among other things.

I'll try anything at this point! LOL It's all appreciated. DO NOT, as I've mentioned, turn things into System Apps! That's where I nailed mine with Titanium Backup, that goes way down into the core boot and screw it up ever so slightly for the bootloop. Before that, same as you mine was cranking out just fine.

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
I'll try anything at this point! LOL It's all appreciated. DO NOT, as I've mentioned, turn things into System Apps! That's where I nailed mine with Titanium Backup, that goes way down into the core boot and screw it up ever so slightly for the bootloop. Before that, same as you mine was cranking out just fine.

Also I didn't get CWM or TWRP in before this happened, so I'm trying to see if I can get either of those converted into a ROM that'll fly. I think I had that Userdata and that's failing the MD5 but as I've read elsewhere that's kind of expected (and annoying). I've tried a couple of alleged fixes for that issue, none have worked.

One issue I have that I may start another thread on, is connecting? I've got the drivers, found the right one and you hear a tone when I plug the USB cable in. But within a couple of seconds it flips over to Charging mode and kills the port! I even moved it down to COM3 to ensure it wasn't looking high and not finding it. The ONLY time it'll start a connection again is if I trip Apply Update via ADB. Obviously then it'll only sideload anyways.

Is anyone getting this sucker to connect and stay that way from the start before the charge cycle kicks in? Every program I've tried for ROMs, flashing and more never sees or communicates with this thing and that could be part of my battle. I've got it set right, even 115200 baud, but no go!

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010

Ok, looking at your files, you don't have boot or recovery, your filesystem is ubifs instead of ext4.
ubifs filesystem is prone to bootloops, I will pass on this tablet,
I had been waiting for it to go on sale, to get one, but now I don't want one.

Last edited:

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
Ok, looking at your files, you don't have boot or recovery, your filesystem is ubifs instead of ext4.
ubifs filesystem is prone to bootloops, I will pass on this tablet,
I had been waiting for it to go on sale, to get one, but now I don't want one.

I meant that those folders were contained within the backup. Sorry for the confusion. It definitely would have been great to have it in that format. I used the "Online Nandroid Backup" app, so that's what I got. My intention wasn't for it to be for backups though, only as a chance to study the system and maybe find out more about the tablet. And ironically, this tablet is being sold on Amazon for $100 on sale. Originally, it was $140.00 lol.

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
I meant that those folders were contained within the backup. Sorry for the confusion. It definitely would have been great to have it in that format. I used the "Online Nandroid Backup" app, so that's what I got. My intention wasn't for it to be for backups though, only as a chance to study the system and maybe find out more about the tablet. And ironically, this tablet is being sold on Amazon for $100 on sale. Originally, it was $140.00 lol.
No problem, you might as well pull recovery and boot from that tablet.

adb pull /proc/dumchar_info

now upload dumchar_info and lets see what and where you have.

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
Ok definitely will do that in a couple of minutes. I shut the tablet down and lost root, so I have to reroot it again. Figures lol

Not sure how we could do that, as I've mentioned continually - we can only adb sideload. The other commands are locked out. Even rooted, unless there's a way to unlock the bootloader to get full adb commands that hasn't been mentioned, I haven't been able to do anything else?

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
Not sure how we could do that, as I've mentioned continually - we can only adb sideload. The other commands are locked out. Even rooted, unless there's a way to unlock the bootloader to get full adb commands that hasn't been mentioned, I haven't been able to do anything else?

So what exactly is the dumchar_info file anyway? And are you saying that it can't be pulled from the tablet while it is running normally?

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
So what exactly is the dumchar_info file anyway? And are you saying that it can't be pulled from the tablet while it is running normally?

It deals with info of the file structure, partitions and such, and you might get at that while it's running. Not sure where it's buried.

But he's saying to ADB pull it, which AFAIK ain't possible in any circumstance on this tablet. If I could've pulled and pushed I'd have this solved by now editing faulty files that caused this bootloop I have. RCA/ALCO had this thing made for them with a lock so that all we can get is Recovery and in there, only the ability to adb sideload something (barely). We can't even Fastboot, it just sits and spins.

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
It deals with info of the file structure, partitions and such, and you might get at that while it's running. Not sure where it's buried.

But he's saying to ADB pull it, which AFAIK ain't possible in any circumstance on this tablet. If I could've pulled and pushed I'd have this solved by now editing faulty files that caused this bootloop I have. RCA/ALCO had this thing made for them with a lock so that all we can get is Recovery and in there, only the ability to adb sideload something (barely). We can't even Fastboot, it just sits and spins.

??? Ummm, I was ADB pulling files from my tablet last night. That's how I got the backups to my computer to upload to Google Drive. Are you sure it's not just you?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On the other forum we have successfully got hard bricks up and running and are addressing other issues. There are 2 revisions for this tablet both with completely different scatters. Tripfx and codelover have done a great job
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2954669. There is a lot to catch up on and in the end when things are more finished were gonna make things a little easier to find
    Sent from my RCT6773W22 using XDA Free mobile app
    @synius, i think you may have misunderstood me for what i said on this post.

The null stripping procedure was an example for preloader, and ONLY applicable for preloader.
    Based on the tests made by TripFX earlier, i have concluded that you DO NOT need to strip null chars for other images.
    It's actually optional, and the only reason i did it earlier was to save some space on my hdd as well as for faster upload.
    Newer versions of SPFT know how to handle the trailing null automatically, the only exception is preloader as it uses it to ensure that you load the right ROM.

Some images MUST NOT be stripped directly, eg: BOOT, RECOVERY, as you are going to break the internal signature checks.
    UBI Images like system.img can be flashed using the direct dump as well, @TripFX tried that, it did boot for him if i remember correctly.

I am afraid this aint going anyway without knowing the real addresses, we tried over hundreds combo & flashes without success.
    I already surrender on this device so i am not going to waste any more time on it, sorry if i don't answer further question regarding this device.

EDITED:
    But did you consider bad blocks in the nand
    Yes we had bad blocks under consideration, however, the tab can be booted perfectly while using V31 files with both V31/V38 scatters. (ext mouse)
    But to enable touch & other sensors V38 files & kernel must be used and neither V31/V38 scatters is compatible or working properly with it.
    I have no reason to doubt the processed V38 files as the same method has been used on V31 dump and it worked.
    The way they hide the addresses in dumchar itself is a big question for me and without any reference there is nothing else i can do.

I am posting the dumchar here so other expert who know better than me can help you guys:
    Code:
    Part_Name    Size                 StartAddr    Type MapTo          Region
    preloader    0x0000000001000000   [COLOR="Red"]0x00000000[/COLOR]   1   /dev/mtd/mtd0   USER
    pro_info     0x0000000000400000   [COLOR="red"]0x00000001[/COLOR]   1   /dev/mtd/mtd1   USER
    nvram        0x0000000001800000   [COLOR="Red"]0x00000002[/COLOR]   1   /dev/mtd/mtd2   USER
    protect_f    0x0000000000c00000   [COLOR="red"]0x00000003[/COLOR]   1   /dev/mtd/mtd3   USER
    seccfg       0x0000000000400000   0x00000004   1   /dev/mtd/mtd4   USER
    uboot        0x0000000000400000   0x00000005   1   /dev/mtd/mtd5   USER
    bootimg      0x0000000000800000   0x00000006   1   /dev/mtd/mtd6   USER
    recovery     0x0000000000800000   0x00000007   1   /dev/mtd/mtd7   USER
    sec_ro       0x0000000000400000   0x00000008   1   /dev/mtd/mtd8   USER
    misc         0x0000000000c00000   0x00000009   1   /dev/mtd/mtd9   USER
    logo         0x0000000000400000   0x0000000a   1   /dev/mtd/mtd10  USER
    expdb        0x0000000000c00000   0x0000000b   1   /dev/mtd/mtd11  USER
    tee1         0x0000000000800000   0x0000000c   1   /dev/mtd/mtd12  USER
    tee2         0x0000000000800000   0x0000000d   1   /dev/mtd/mtd13  USER
    kb           0x0000000000400000   0x0000000e   1   /dev/mtd/mtd14  USER
    dkb          0x0000000000400000   0x0000000f   1   /dev/mtd/mtd15  USER
    android      0x0000000040000000   0x00000010   1   /dev/mtd/mtd16  USER
    cache        0x0000000030000000   0x00000011   1   /dev/mtd/mtd17  USER
    usrdata      0x0000000167800000   0x00000012   1   /dev/mtd/mtd18  USER
    bmtpool      0x0000000000000000   0x00000000   1      USER
    Part_Name:Partition name you should open;
    Size:size of partition
    StartAddr:Start Address of partition;
    Type:Type of partition(MTD=1,EMMC=2)
    MapTo:actual device you operate
    I read through all 15 pages of the other thread as well as this one in hopes that someone would've come along and figured it out, lol. My girlfriend, sister and I all got one of these for Christmas, with only one fully working, which I gave to my girlfriend. My sister's loves to reboot, and mine has been in bootloop since day one. It had occasionally pushed past the loop, but when it got to the initial setup screen Google Play Services would immediately force close 4 times in a row and then restart. I tried factory recovery a few times but to no avail and ended up getting frustrated and leaving it on the charger for a few days, hoping some magic may happen. I pulled it out again today and now it enjoys freezing on the black RCA screen. It has made it to the startup screen a few times but touch appears not to work. It feels like an electronic photo frame that I can't load pictures into :(

I'm super anxious for any sort of fix to come out because of how great this tablet seems it could be. Thanks for all your research!

Sorry you're having the trouble! We've been trying to get this figured out and it's been frustrating. We HAVE rooted it in a variety of ways, but then you have to be careful with settings on the root tools afterwards not to send it flying into a bootloop.

The one that's rebooting, I'd return/exchange that! You've got 30 days if it came from WallyWorld, even online you can get a return form to print and take into a store (even though the price went up there, it's an even exchange). But that sounds fully mechanically defective, no doubt.

The one that's looping, yah that's just weird. They shouldn't do that and we've found a good percentage of them were damaged in shipping even though it wasn't obvious or defective and never tested in China. I believe some even just overheated in the container shipped over here as well or at least were banged around getting loaded and unloaded to cause some of this. If you can get a good one, never let it go!

Subscribe to at least this thread, we'll post more as we hopefully find some results!
    LOL, well thanks! I hope it works! I always like to mention the fine print though so nothing bad happens. My backup didn't work because it was after I got the bootloop, so it would've just put it back. I'm just dying to get back inside, rootings easy enough now that we know how and the FIRST thing on the list is ClockworkMod so I have a real backup in the future! And, of course, not doing stupid things like I did. :)

I'm not even going to touch the idea of rooting when it comes to this tablet for the time being lol. I'll just stick to being content with my rooted EVO 4G until a recovery has been confirmed to work for sure. And yeah, I think it only covers what will be cleared by a Factory Reset; I have two of these tablets, one used one not. The backup size of the unused tablet is 82 MB while the backup of the used table is already 540 MB lol. I just uploaded the 82 MB one to my Google Drive and the link is below
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Yc110W0bfmVlFNQzVhX0k4elE/view?usp=sharing