[Q] RCA RCT6773W22 8GB 7-Inch Touchscreen Tablet - Rooted, but now in bootloop!

Search This thread

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
We've managed to get this rooted (see other thread) but now after an adjustment I made, mine's bootlooping.

I did a ton of digging and while there's no apparent ROMs out there, this is a generically made tablet under several brands and makes beyond RCA. RCA and Voyager (RCA Tab parent) claim not to have the ROM for downloading, but that makes no sense for three reasons:

1) How did my tablet know if I had the latest firmware version, etc? It had to surf somewhere and do a check, why can't that also be public or can anyone determine it and we can snag a copy ourselves to distribute?

2) What're they going to do with it if we send it back for 'repair'? I haven't found anyone who has but I'd bet if you tracked the Serial # it'd just be different and they bulk the bricked ones back to China for reloading and resale as 'refurbished'.

3) How exactly did this sucker get MADE? If you had the ROM to load it, hand it built for you, why can't you get it (and back to the updating issue)?

I've discovered this is a Gigabyte based setup, they have a similar model showing but that doesn't mean they made it either - just the hardware states that's what it is. We can't do a ROM that doesn't work on an ARM7 CPU, so the Intel Inside stuff's worthless.

Here's a China declaration about this unit:

We company SHENZHEN ZOWEE TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD hereby declares:
The product model(s):
DPM7828,DPM7827,DPM7826,TM7005,TM7006,TM7008,NB7856,NB7866 is
identical in the same PCB layout, interior structure and electrical circuits with
the model M7054 which tested in Shenzhen Huatongwei International
Inspection Co., Ltd, the only differences are the model name for commercial
purpose.
The trademarks TMAX, APEX, DOPO, NOBIS, DAGE, NUVISION will be
selected by different customers owing to commercial requirements.

I looked up all those models and brands, again similar stuff but customized for their resale and none have a ROM anywhere that seems to be close!

So any further info you find, tag it onto this thread and if anyone can find a ROM that'd at least get back to access I'd be grateful!

I can ADB, but only sideload.
I can use the microSD, can even push a load to the tab with something on the card but can't find anything.
Have done the wipes, etc. and regardless it keeps rebooting over and over endlessly.

Last change I did was to make Titanium Backup convert to a System file and force it thus I think that's what it's doing and I can't stop it. I'm not that experienced enough with Android (vs. Linux and servers, etc.) to be able to get to and edit some files others have noted that might get me back to normal booting, but without anything but ADB sideloading that may be kinda pointless anyways.

Open to any ideas, thoughts and otherwise! This is a nice, basic tablet with some decent power for the price so if you're hear to just bash stuff or make stupid comments please look elsewhere. Hundreds of us are looking so the solution finder would be a hero!

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
who builds something crappy or not leaves options for recovery and then throws away the operating system which is for the recovery options in these problems such as these and just says oops oh well go buy another or ship it to us to do something that should be able to be done by anyone and be open sourced like android is suppose to be

support support support something. im not gonna go buy another one duh
every brand name knows support is key to good brands
every brand device has recovery
sony, moto, droid, lg, and countless others
like talk about pollution of stupidity among the people who are suppose to think of these things instead communitys fix the problems companys shouldve already figure out

In this case, Venturer Electronics was dumped up in Canada after the RCA and other brand names were bought up in the US by ALCO Electronics. Venturer is how they keep it all separated and harder to sue or class action anything. If you go to 1800customerservice.com, you'll see the brand names and it should become totally obvious.

And as far as all the RCA tablets I can determine, some division of ALCO makes them in Hong Kong (now China owned), there's a theme. They didn't throw anything away, they just never gave it to 'themselves'. Cube seems to support them all for their branded models because it's a different HK corporation. Go figure. But the digital signatures in the files go by the unit & manufacturer so we haven't been able to cross it over... yet.

The Recovery's locked down at the manufacturer's plant according to some giant ass who ordered a ton under the RCA and/or Venturer brand names that way. It's part of Android, so they didn't kill it completely but they wanted a way to get in themselves and refurb these somewhere but keep the rest of us out so we didn't reprogram them and rip them off somehow. Don't ask me how, no frickin idea. The reason the Update options have been there was (allegedly) to allow manual updates if the auto-download didn't work for a customer, we're all stupid or thieves so they have to do it for us. Again, brainchildren. Now the giant ass that did this doesn't work at RCA or Venturer so they just claim they can't get it and we're done.

Quality? Well what sucks is these lil bastages rock IF they're 100% working. Only reason we're trying to get them working again for people who ended up in the same boat.

Reactions: jmacie

synius

Dec 17, 2014
Cornwall, Ontario
i have access to another exact match as mine but its useless unless i can get access to the internal root directory i can on the other unit but as for the recovery bootloop unit no access

could you copy and zip up the entire secured partition and load it thru the sideloader as an update?
kinda like re pushing initialization. like all the system apk if its sideloaded like that it might just reinstall everything to stock
i was reading up on adb and sideloading and it states if something is sideloaded it automatically installs update overwriting everything
has anyone tried this or know if this could be done?

Last edited:

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
RCA Tablet Support (if you call it that)

RCA Tablets

7" Regular Tablet - 1-855-475-9646

They answer, but bet money it's a call center in india full of screen-reading monkeys who just repeat everything til you get POed and hang up on them. I beat on mine for awhile, he had no clue who I was from my RMA # and mentioned some place was closed til Tuesday. That could be who I've dealt with via e-mail, thus why I got shoved out overseas and accomplished nothing of any value to see where progress on this hot-swap is going to go. Let it be said it may take me 4-6 weeks minimum to return the one I have :)

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
i have access to another exact match as mine but its useless unless i can get access to the internal root directory i can on the other unit but as for the recovery bootloop unit no access

could you copy and zip up the entire secured partition and load it thru the sideloader as an update?
kinda like re pushing initialization. like all the system apk if its sideloaded like that it might just reinstall everything to stock
i was reading up on adb and sideloading and it states if something is sideloaded it automatically installs update overwriting everything
has anyone tried this or know if this could be done?

We're hoping that'd happen but the problem lies in that anything we try to update either failed, popped an MD5 checksum error because the tablet we have is different internally by a SN or corroded files and/or doesn't have the digital signature for RCA that ALCO had ordered and uses from the Mfg they bought these off of!

I'm locked out, I can't get into my tablet to copy anything out to use or I'd be able to edit what I think is screwed up and recover from the bootloop. All of us stuck like this are willing to try almost anything at this point though!

synius

Dec 17, 2014
Cornwall, Ontario
return

i had contacted rca support they are senting me a new unit, free of charge and sending me a box with a return label to return defective unit, i havent paid anything to do this i just filed a repair option and told them a firmware update did
they had me send them my info and s/n of unit comfirmed whatever and said it will be at my door UPS within 10 days
(day 6 not here yet)

this sucks that theres not really a fix for this problem yet,
due to rom difficultys
technical support is NIL
customer support is so/so
they provide 1 year warrenty to defective units and i didnt have a receipt either to prove it was a christmas gift

Last edited:

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
i had contacted rca support they are senting me a new unit, free of charge and sending me a box with a return label to return defective unit, i havent paid anything to do this i just filed a repair option and told them a firmware update did
they had me send them my info and s/n of unit comfirmed whatever and said it will be at my door UPS within 10 days
(day 6 not here yet)

this sucks that theres not really a fix for this problem yet,
due to rom difficultys
technical support is NIL
customer support is so/so
they provide 1 year warrenty to defective units and i didnt have a receipt either to prove it was a christmas gift

Get ready to sit back and wait! I'm at a UPS tag being issued, but product NOT sent up in Buffalo, NY and it's been well into 25 days now. They'll lie and make that claim to you, but reality when you call or e-mail in is totally different. And the e-mail and phone guys allegedly don't have anything to do with each other, but both will be glad to screen-read stock replies to push you off. No charges for me either, I had to harass one idiot there to get the RA # issued to even get this started at the beginning of this year.

Once the replacement ever arrives, because I believe mine's a software and not a hardware issue like they claim I'm going to attempt to pull a ROM and/or other files from the replacement unit and see if I can liven up the bootlooper, therefore creating the file(s) to fix this long term. If this tablet sucked, I'd have written it off a long time ago. But now I know for the future what's good and what's not in using it!

I should've posted an update here on all this progress but like 20 e-mails and 5 phone calls later they've PO'ed me off good. Class Action Suit good, but they're HQ'ed in Canada on purpose to shield against stuff like this. Chumps. Venturer Electronics outside Toronto's hilarious when you look at Google Maps street view of the place too!

And the wait continues...

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
I'm thinking maybe we could install our own update.zip file through fastboot containing only the system also and stock settings I'm betting maybe we could override any wrongly installed system apps though I would need know how to properly create the text files that need to be inside of it. I'm not sure what the specific names are but I think the tablet will tell you them the names of the missing files when you try to flash the file in fastboot...

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
I'm thinking maybe we could install our own update.zip file through fastboot containing only the system also and stock settings I'm betting maybe we could override any wrongly installed system apps though I would need know how to properly create the text files that need to be inside of it. I'm not sure what the specific names are but I think the tablet will tell you them the names of the missing files when you try to flash the file in fastboot...

Well we don't get Flashboot access tho? Just a Recovery screen that takes update files, unless that's a hybrid Fastboot that only allows those type files. Once I get a stock working unit I can get in there and pull files galore to hopefully get some answers. I will snag a backup and xfer it to the DOA one to see if it'll take that, could be some clues inside that too. Mine have been corrupted past the bootloop, therefore useless. Anything else, once I ever get a replacement in hand, I'll be game for someone to let me know what to do!

On principle though, that's what I'm thinking and have said to those chump 'techs' at RVA/Venturer. Just a stock load file to replace things, not even worried about stock apps as everything's reloadable, but the main core. I'm swearing what happens is the NVRAM that holds the one bootloader that's screwing up gets corrupted by something - tablet done or user done - and bricks. And that's replaceable... somehow.

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
Well we don't get Flashboot access tho? Just a Recovery screen that takes update files, unless that's a hybrid Fastboot that only allows those type files. Once I get a stock working unit I can get in there and pull files galore to hopefully get some answers. I will snag a backup and xfer it to the DOA one to see if it'll take that, could be some clues inside that too. Mine have been corrupted past the bootloop, therefore useless. Anything else, once I ever get a replacement in hand, I'll be game for someone to let me know what to do!

On principle though, that's what I'm thinking and have said to those chump 'techs' at RVA/Venturer. Just a stock load file to replace things, not even worried about stock apps as everything's reloadable, but the main core. I'm swearing what happens is the NVRAM that holds the one bootloader that's screwing up gets corrupted by something - tablet done or user done - and bricks. And that's replaceable... somehow.

Right, I forgot that you have to be able to boot normally and connect through adb before you can be able to reboot into fastboot. Nevermind then...

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
Right, I forgot that you have to be able to boot normally and connect through adb before you can be able to reboot into fastboot. Nevermind then...

Well, there IS the loading updates in recovery that uses Zip files. That's why i said what you came up with COULD actually work! I think it's a baby firewall the Mfg did to it from RCA/Venturer's order. So something gets overwritten with their update files, why not that stuff? When I get the replacement that's why I think we can dig into that and get what we need before it becomes just another brick in the wall :cyclops:

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
Really though, we could probably just solve all this if some one could root their tablet then get their hands on the firmware update and upload it here so we could try installing it through recovery lol But that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
Really though, we could probably just solve all this if some one could root their tablet then get their hands on the firmware update and upload it here so we could try installing it through recovery lol But that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

Sadly I can't give a timeframe, my label ticket's still product not received by UPS. It's a weird label too, some Cross Border Trade Direct thing. Like they're getting it over the border and then reshipping it from Buffalo. Which means it could be in a case pack sitting in freakin Customs! NAFTA was supposed to have solved all that, you can see how that's worked out.

Once it gets here I'm all over rooting that thing, that worked perfectly. My dumbass move afterwards with Titanium Backup is what got me here, not going to do that twice! LOL After that, since I'm not familiar with the structure fully, any instructions will go miles to pulling what we need out of that sucker.

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
... I think I've uncovered why the tablet is only running at a max processor speed of 1.3 Ghz.... it seems that while the tablet has the MT8127 and can reach clock speeds of 1.5 GHz, RCA or whoever has two firmware patches on the tablet for the MT6571, which just so happens to be Dual core Cortex A7 @ 1.3 GHz. I'm getting the feeling that the connection between the two isn't coincidental. Oh and in case any one is wondering, the patch names are: mt6571_patch_e1_0_hdr.bin & mt6571_patch_e1_1_hdr.bin Perhaps that might assist us in finding the right tools or files needed.

Reactions: PSCGOhio

PSCGOhio

Oct 1, 2012
LG G2 Mini
Asus MeMO Pad 7
... I think I've uncovered why the tablet is only running at a max processor speed of 1.3 Ghz.... it seems that while the tablet has the MT8127 and can reach clock speeds of 1.5 GHz, RCA or whoever has two firmware patches on the tablet for the MT6571, which just so happens to be Dual core Cortex A7 @ 1.3 GHz. I'm getting the feeling that the connection between the two isn't coincidental. Oh and in case any one is wondering, the patch names are: mt6571_patch_e1_0_hdr.bin & mt6571_patch_e1_1_hdr.bin Perhaps that might assist us in finding the right tools or files needed.

Actually that makes perfect sense because the one thing they didn't get put on this board is the mini HDMI port, all other copies out there have it. Couple that with the non-functional GPS, FM Radio and Bluetooth features of the MT8127 and it seems this was turned out to be an entry-level version and just a tad cheaper to produce. ALCO's Hong Kong plant makes these for all the brands out there, if you look at ads you'll see it with a ton of different names. I think the choice of the MT8127 was for stability because the MT65 series was just crapping out and the embarrassment of 2013's Black Friday. What I can find online researching this mess is that those features can be activated, but something's stopping them - that'd be what you found!

Morning Shipping Update: STILL just a ticket, just a lonely ticket.

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
Nope, those files have nothing to due with speed, those files are firmware for your modem nothing more.
Speed is set in kernel when kernel is compiled the person that compiles the kernel sets the speed of the kernel.

sent from my kingSing T1 via taptalk

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
Figures lol. Anyway I did some random Google searching last night and it seems one of the programs that Mediatek uses fit their products is NVRAM Editor. Anyone think we might be able to use that to enable GPS, etc.?

vampirefo

Apr 3, 2010
Figures lol. Anyway I did some random Google searching last night and it seems one of the programs that Mediatek uses fit their products is NVRAM Editor. Anyone think we might be able to use that to enable GPS, etc.?
Only if the mother board has a GPS chip, I really doubt that it does, won't hurt to try, but for the price of this tablet, I am betting it doesn't have GPS.

Xactot

Jun 27, 2014
Neptune City
Only if the mother board has a GPS chip, I really doubt that it does, won't hurt to try, but for the price of this tablet, I am betting it doesn't have GPS.

According to the Specifications in the link posted by PSCGOhio, it said:
(
The applicant declared that only WiFi function is used in this product. GPS, FM and Bluetooth functions will not be used in the product.
U2 (MT6627N) is 2.4GHz RF radio core for the WiFi 802.11 b/g/n(HT20)/n(HT40). The built-in GPS, FM and Bluetooth functions are not used in this product.
)
That being said, we have a possibility of activating those features.

Reactions: vampirefo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    On the other forum we have successfully got hard bricks up and running and are addressing other issues. There are 2 revisions for this tablet both with completely different scatters. Tripfx and codelover have done a great job
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2954669. There is a lot to catch up on and in the end when things are more finished were gonna make things a little easier to find
    Sent from my RCT6773W22 using XDA Free mobile app
    @synius, i think you may have misunderstood me for what i said on this post.

The null stripping procedure was an example for preloader, and ONLY applicable for preloader.
    Based on the tests made by TripFX earlier, i have concluded that you DO NOT need to strip null chars for other images.
    It's actually optional, and the only reason i did it earlier was to save some space on my hdd as well as for faster upload.
    Newer versions of SPFT know how to handle the trailing null automatically, the only exception is preloader as it uses it to ensure that you load the right ROM.

Some images MUST NOT be stripped directly, eg: BOOT, RECOVERY, as you are going to break the internal signature checks.
    UBI Images like system.img can be flashed using the direct dump as well, @TripFX tried that, it did boot for him if i remember correctly.

I am afraid this aint going anyway without knowing the real addresses, we tried over hundreds combo & flashes without success.
    I already surrender on this device so i am not going to waste any more time on it, sorry if i don't answer further question regarding this device.

EDITED:
    But did you consider bad blocks in the nand
    Yes we had bad blocks under consideration, however, the tab can be booted perfectly while using V31 files with both V31/V38 scatters. (ext mouse)
    But to enable touch & other sensors V38 files & kernel must be used and neither V31/V38 scatters is compatible or working properly with it.
    I have no reason to doubt the processed V38 files as the same method has been used on V31 dump and it worked.
    The way they hide the addresses in dumchar itself is a big question for me and without any reference there is nothing else i can do.

I am posting the dumchar here so other expert who know better than me can help you guys:
    Code:
    Part_Name    Size                 StartAddr    Type MapTo          Region
    preloader    0x0000000001000000   [COLOR="Red"]0x00000000[/COLOR]   1   /dev/mtd/mtd0   USER
    pro_info     0x0000000000400000   [COLOR="red"]0x00000001[/COLOR]   1   /dev/mtd/mtd1   USER
    nvram        0x0000000001800000   [COLOR="Red"]0x00000002[/COLOR]   1   /dev/mtd/mtd2   USER
    protect_f    0x0000000000c00000   [COLOR="red"]0x00000003[/COLOR]   1   /dev/mtd/mtd3   USER
    seccfg       0x0000000000400000   0x00000004   1   /dev/mtd/mtd4   USER
    uboot        0x0000000000400000   0x00000005   1   /dev/mtd/mtd5   USER
    bootimg      0x0000000000800000   0x00000006   1   /dev/mtd/mtd6   USER
    recovery     0x0000000000800000   0x00000007   1   /dev/mtd/mtd7   USER
    sec_ro       0x0000000000400000   0x00000008   1   /dev/mtd/mtd8   USER
    misc         0x0000000000c00000   0x00000009   1   /dev/mtd/mtd9   USER
    logo         0x0000000000400000   0x0000000a   1   /dev/mtd/mtd10  USER
    expdb        0x0000000000c00000   0x0000000b   1   /dev/mtd/mtd11  USER
    tee1         0x0000000000800000   0x0000000c   1   /dev/mtd/mtd12  USER
    tee2         0x0000000000800000   0x0000000d   1   /dev/mtd/mtd13  USER
    kb           0x0000000000400000   0x0000000e   1   /dev/mtd/mtd14  USER
    dkb          0x0000000000400000   0x0000000f   1   /dev/mtd/mtd15  USER
    android      0x0000000040000000   0x00000010   1   /dev/mtd/mtd16  USER
    cache        0x0000000030000000   0x00000011   1   /dev/mtd/mtd17  USER
    usrdata      0x0000000167800000   0x00000012   1   /dev/mtd/mtd18  USER
    bmtpool      0x0000000000000000   0x00000000   1      USER
    Part_Name:Partition name you should open;
    Size:size of partition
    StartAddr:Start Address of partition;
    Type:Type of partition(MTD=1,EMMC=2)
    MapTo:actual device you operate
    I read through all 15 pages of the other thread as well as this one in hopes that someone would've come along and figured it out, lol. My girlfriend, sister and I all got one of these for Christmas, with only one fully working, which I gave to my girlfriend. My sister's loves to reboot, and mine has been in bootloop since day one. It had occasionally pushed past the loop, but when it got to the initial setup screen Google Play Services would immediately force close 4 times in a row and then restart. I tried factory recovery a few times but to no avail and ended up getting frustrated and leaving it on the charger for a few days, hoping some magic may happen. I pulled it out again today and now it enjoys freezing on the black RCA screen. It has made it to the startup screen a few times but touch appears not to work. It feels like an electronic photo frame that I can't load pictures into :(

I'm super anxious for any sort of fix to come out because of how great this tablet seems it could be. Thanks for all your research!

Sorry you're having the trouble! We've been trying to get this figured out and it's been frustrating. We HAVE rooted it in a variety of ways, but then you have to be careful with settings on the root tools afterwards not to send it flying into a bootloop.

The one that's rebooting, I'd return/exchange that! You've got 30 days if it came from WallyWorld, even online you can get a return form to print and take into a store (even though the price went up there, it's an even exchange). But that sounds fully mechanically defective, no doubt.

The one that's looping, yah that's just weird. They shouldn't do that and we've found a good percentage of them were damaged in shipping even though it wasn't obvious or defective and never tested in China. I believe some even just overheated in the container shipped over here as well or at least were banged around getting loaded and unloaded to cause some of this. If you can get a good one, never let it go!

Subscribe to at least this thread, we'll post more as we hopefully find some results!
    LOL, well thanks! I hope it works! I always like to mention the fine print though so nothing bad happens. My backup didn't work because it was after I got the bootloop, so it would've just put it back. I'm just dying to get back inside, rootings easy enough now that we know how and the FIRST thing on the list is ClockworkMod so I have a real backup in the future! And, of course, not doing stupid things like I did. :)

I'm not even going to touch the idea of rooting when it comes to this tablet for the time being lol. I'll just stick to being content with my rooted EVO 4G until a recovery has been confirmed to work for sure. And yeah, I think it only covers what will be cleared by a Factory Reset; I have two of these tablets, one used one not. The backup size of the unused tablet is 82 MB while the backup of the used table is already 540 MB lol. I just uploaded the 82 MB one to my Google Drive and the link is below
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Yc110W0bfmVlFNQzVhX0k4elE/view?usp=sharing