[Q] Rebuttal to Apple's remark on Nexus 7 ?

Search This thread

fenturi

Dec 20, 2011

Wilks3y

Aug 3, 2012
Leek
My View, I agree with the above posted.

1 - They are talking about it, it's obviously caught their attention and is effecting them and they don't like it, so they mock it and expect everything to think, oh its Apple they must be right.

2 - Nexus 7 has less screen estate? YES BECAUSE ITS A 7 INCH TABLET, the so called iPad MINI? is a bigger tablet (7.9 inch), therefor not very mini what so ever and is obviously going to have more "Screen Estate" than the Nexus7

3 - Apple are just worried, because people are waking up and realising that a 10 inch tab is a little to big, and clunky and in the iPad's case, HEAVY and makes you feel like you've been weight lifting after a little while of use.

4 - Apple is Apple, this is expected. All they do is ***** and moan (excuse my language) at other companies.

This is only because they realise that since iPhone 3/4? NOTHING HAS CHANGED AND THEY REGURGITATE THE SAME OLD CRAP ! and therefor people are getting BORED of their products, and their method of "Locking" people down and giving them no options or choice.

This is why Android is growing day by day !

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
So you get a low rez screen with a old Gen processor, no GPS. rubbish maps, and a simplistic but limiting OS.

And you get to pay MORE for it....

Or as it's been discussed on G+:

The iPad mini size isn't a design choice - it's a technical requirement
Yesterday, Apple when up on stage and put the Nexus 7 and the iPad mini side-by-side. They quickly told us how the iPad mini had a larger screen size and therefore could fit more content in it. But let me make something really, really clear - Apple themselves knows that the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire 7-inch sizes are perfect for their form-factor. The reason they did that comparison was to convince you otherwise because they didn't have a choice but to make their device wider.

Why didn't they have a choice? Well, I've said it once and I'll say it again - iOS apps are ridiculously tailored to their given screen proportions. It's actually disturbing. While Android apps scale properly on multiple screen sizes, form factors, and proportions, iOS apps won't. They're built for the specific screen you develop for. That's why the iPhone 5 goes into letter-box mode until a developer goes back and updates their apps for the new screen size. Yeesh, what a [fragmented] pain!

The iPad mini is completely proportionate to its bigger brother. Therefore, it can run iPad apps. If Apple were to release a 16:9 iPad, developers would all have to go back and reformat their apps for this brand new screen size. Like, once again, we see with the iPhone 5.

So, make no mistake - Apple didn't necessarily want to make the iPad the wide slab it is. It had to because, unlike Android, iOS hasn't been built for scaling.
(Credit to Anuj Ahooja for this sensible and accurate writing on the subject)

WheresTrent

Jul 17, 2012
I can understand why Apple now wants to enter the mini-tablet market, but it doesn't look so good on them to release something with lesser specs and missing features from their competitors, at a higher price point too. But, they're Apple. People will buy it because they're familiar with iOS and maybe want something easier to carry around. Maybe they're iPhone owners that have resisted the 10" iPads, but now want something with bigger screen real estate.

I don't want to make excuses as to why it may do well for them, just trying to see it from the view of their target audience. You're probably better off buying a 10" iPad on eBay with better specs.

taffypride

Dec 1, 2010
Wells
Apple are just stuck in a rut whereas they kickstarted the true Touchscreen Smartphone-without-a-hardware-keyboard market and kickstarted the Tablet market.

The iPad Mini, to quote a mate in the local phone shop, is nothing more than an iPad 2 which has been put through too hot a wash in the washing machine...

drpepe

Jul 16, 2012
Maybe Apple didn't go for seven inches because it has a patent on 7.9 inches.

Ye gods, I don't really know why, but but the use decimal fractions for imperial measurements irritates the hell out of me! Whatever happened to sixteenths! :p

Ought these OEMs moved on to the metric system anyhow!?

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

Aug 20, 2012
Ought these OEMs moved on to the metric system anyhow!?

I'm all for metric, but unfortunately the USA, especially engineers, seem to think it is the devil's plaything, possibly because the words sound suspiciously French.

In other comments about the i7.9 I mentioned that it is 15 mm wider than the Nexus 7, which probably rules it out for most jacket pockets. Maybe Apple found that it could not patent pocketability.

SeanBlader

Dec 4, 2010
Woah, hey there, US engineers don't have anything against the metric system, rather it parses nicely in code. Blame the whole screen size thing on ignorant marketers, we are forced to convert **** because they are idiots and think he customer is as dumb as they are.

veeman

Apr 7, 2012
Minnesota
I'm all for metric, but unfortunately the USA, especially engineers, seem to think it is the devil's plaything, possibly because the words sound suspiciously French.

In other comments about the i7.9 I mentioned that it is 15 mm wider than the Nexus 7, which probably rules it out for most jacket pockets. Maybe Apple found that it could not patent pocketability.

A majority of people in the US have grown up with the imperial system and are most comfortable with that so they use inches, feet, miles. It's as frustrating for Americans to convert metric system to imperial. And anyway, I'm pretty sure the US doesn't have an official system of measurement so they are free to use whatever.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Anthonok

Jul 21, 2010
St. Cloud
So you get a low rez screen with a old Gen processor, no GPS. rubbish maps, and a simplistic but limiting OS.

Also on that on stage comparison both tablets showed the same exact amount of content. One was just bigger.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My View, I agree with the above posted.

1 - They are talking about it, it's obviously caught their attention and is effecting them and they don't like it, so they mock it and expect everything to think, oh its Apple they must be right.

2 - Nexus 7 has less screen estate? YES BECAUSE ITS A 7 INCH TABLET, the so called iPad MINI? is a bigger tablet (7.9 inch), therefor not very mini what so ever and is obviously going to have more "Screen Estate" than the Nexus7

3 - Apple are just worried, because people are waking up and realising that a 10 inch tab is a little to big, and clunky and in the iPad's case, HEAVY and makes you feel like you've been weight lifting after a little while of use.

4 - Apple is Apple, this is expected. All they do is ***** and moan (excuse my language) at other companies.

This is only because they realise that since iPhone 3/4? NOTHING HAS CHANGED AND THEY REGURGITATE THE SAME OLD CRAP ! and therefor people are getting BORED of their products, and their method of "Locking" people down and giving them no options or choice.

This is why Android is growing day by day !

The iPad mini size isn't a design choice - it's a technical requirement
    Yesterday, Apple when up on stage and put the Nexus 7 and the iPad mini side-by-side. They quickly told us how the iPad mini had a larger screen size and therefore could fit more content in it. But let me make something really, really clear - Apple themselves knows that the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire 7-inch sizes are perfect for their form-factor. The reason they did that comparison was to convince you otherwise because they didn't have a choice but to make their device wider.

Why didn't they have a choice? Well, I've said it once and I'll say it again - iOS apps are ridiculously tailored to their given screen proportions. It's actually disturbing. While Android apps scale properly on multiple screen sizes, form factors, and proportions, iOS apps won't. They're built for the specific screen you develop for. That's why the iPhone 5 goes into letter-box mode until a developer goes back and updates their apps for the new screen size. Yeesh, what a [fragmented] pain!

The iPad mini is completely proportionate to its bigger brother. Therefore, it can run iPad apps. If Apple were to release a 16:9 iPad, developers would all have to go back and reformat their apps for this brand new screen size. Like, once again, we see with the iPhone 5.

So, make no mistake - Apple didn't necessarily want to make the iPad the wide slab it is. It had to because, unlike Android, iOS hasn't been built for scaling.
    Just days before Apple took a dig on n7 claiming it to be a failure cheap plastic having blown up phone app and leps screen estate than the mini and blah blah blah
    http://m.cnet.com/news/fact-checking-phil-schiller-on-ipad-mini-vs-nexus-7/57538617
    http://512pixels.net/2012/10/keynote-nexus/
    What's ur say on that ?

The fact they they felt the need to talk about it directly tells you something.
    Apple are just stuck in a rut whereas they kickstarted the true Touchscreen Smartphone-without-a-hardware-keyboard market and kickstarted the Tablet market.

The iPad Mini, to quote a mate in the local phone shop, is nothing more than an iPad 2 which has been put through too hot a wash in the washing machine...
    What bothers me is that millions of week minded around the world will believe in every word they said. Fell sorry for all, those poor bastards.
    Also i m really mad with the way apple distort facts to make ipad and iphones look better to the simple minded.
    They should be sued for false advertising.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone