[Q] Rebuttal to Apple's remark on Nexus 7 ?

Search This thread

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Yea the iPad mini is a fail. I am surprised they used the new chipset though. I thought it would simply be a repackaged iPad 2.

I also like how they brag how the screen is "bigger" then standard 7" variants.... which isn't making a mini smaller, better? If people wanted a bigger tablet then a 7" they would just have opted to get a full tablet.

Also no Apple device has GPS except the cellular models... but even then it isn't real GPS, I don't think, as opposed to cellular triangulation. My buddy has an iPhone 4S and his Google Maps we're never very accurate. Maybe it does, I dunno.

Also a 7.9" screen with a pretty low resolution would look like crap. Even Chinese manufactures have higher resolution screens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Nov 5, 2011
I like the screen size of the Mini. 4:3 is very good for a tablet, there's a reason we use 4:3 aspect ratio paper even though there are thousands of different ratios. The screen resolution could be better but if they manage to give it great colour reproduction and good brightness then it'd be reasonable. The screen resolution is a bit of a tradeoff for the high quality materials (aluminum, etc) and better warranty/repair-service. I'd love if there was a flagship android device with a 4:3 aspect ratio display.

Mini wins on apps but Nexus has got MxPlayer which is a huge benefit because converting videos is a massive pain and let's face it, watching videos is gonna be a main usage case for this size of tablet. There's lots of other points to cover but Apple covered them pretty well. The only upsides the Nexus has is the price, the OS (if you prefer Android, I'm neutral personally), and the unique apps that can't be on iOS due to Apple's restrictions. NFC is kinda moot right now for most users. If I had to pick I'd probably go Mini but if Google can re-up the Nexus with better build quality (ie. no screen lift or cracking), a better warranty (read the horror stories around), a MicroSD card slot and a brighter screen, it'd be about even - objectively speaking. Of course, some will prefer either one because of their personal preferences (love/hate of any feature including, and especially, brand).

If anything though, Apple's keynote really drives home that Google needs to fix their apps situation. Crack down on piracy and make better developer SDK tools to encourage developer support would be my recommendation.

durangatang

Apr 27, 2011
Alberta
I like the screen size of the Mini. 4:3 is very good for a tablet, there's a reason we use 4:3 aspect ratio paper even though there are thousands of different ratios. The screen resolution could be better but if they manage to give it great colour reproduction and good brightness then it'd be reasonable. The screen resolution is a bit of a tradeoff for the high quality materials (aluminum, etc) and better warranty/repair-service. I'd love if there was a flagship android device with a 4:3 aspect ratio display.

Mini wins on apps but Nexus has got MxPlayer which is a huge benefit because converting videos is a massive pain and let's face it, watching videos is gonna be a main usage case for this size of tablet. There's lots of other points to cover but Apple covered them pretty well. The only upsides the Nexus has is the price, the OS (if you prefer Android, I'm neutral personally), and the unique apps that can't be on iOS due to Apple's restrictions. NFC is kinda moot right now for most users. If I had to pick I'd probably go Mini but if Google can re-up the Nexus with better build quality (ie. no screen lift or cracking), a better warranty (read the horror stories around), a MicroSD card slot and a brighter screen, it'd be about even - objectively speaking. Of course, some will prefer either one because of their personal preferences (love/hate of any feature including, and especially, brand).

If anything though, Apple's keynote really drives home that Google needs to fix their apps situation. Crack down on piracy and make better developer SDK tools to encourage developer support would be my recommendation.

I think it would take improvements on Apple's part to equal the nexus 7... not the other way around...

Sent from my GT-I9100M using xda app-developers app

tntgdh

Aug 8, 2012
What bothers me is that millions of week minded around the world will believe in every word they said. Fell sorry for all, those poor bastards.
Also i m really mad with the way apple distort facts to make ipad and iphones look better to the simple minded.
They should be sued for false advertising.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Reactions: Omar04

aalupatti

Feb 20, 2011
What ever said and done, and it's still going to sell millions and more than any individual android tablet.
I am no apple fan but would love to test it out and see the portability potential.

The one device that I wish came out was a galaxy Note 7

Nexus 7 @ mobile

Toyeboy

Oct 3, 2012
Apple likes to brag and I watched the keynote and really don't like the way they act, but comparing it to the nexus 7 I was literally agreeing with everything they said about it. The nexus 7 could have a lot more screen area if it didn't have the annoying notification bar and huge control buttons bar that is there even in games and whatever you're doing. The lack of tablet optimized apps is the biggest concern and it seems is not getting much better even with several million Android tablets in users hands. Apple just has all the developer support and when it comes down tonight, the apps are what makes or breaks a tablet, and I've yet to see any on my nexus 7 that are a huge step up over my 4inch phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Kearkan

Oct 10, 2012
Ipad and Ipad mini are crap, sold by a stale company that has no interest in ingenuity, and for hipsters who can't tell the difference anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

littld

May 18, 2005
I'd like to see an iPad mini for myself before making a decision to buy one. Bottom line is I did like my Nexus 7 but it had too many glitches. Apple are right about the screen space. With Chrome's tabs, the top notification bar and the bottom navigation control there's hardly any room for the web page to display. iPads and iPhones have had a full screen option in Safari for ages. And it's true full screen. That little Home button saves a whole bar at the bottom every time you look at it.

So I spent some time on the options. I did want Flash if possible (a lot of news sites still use Flash and I thought at least I could do that on the Nexus 7). Chrome doesn't support it so I tried half a dozen or so browsers which did. Boat came out on top here and Flash was acceptable sometimes, though prone to crashing on full screen. I know iOS doesn't do Flash either, just had hoped to get it to work on the Nexu 7I found myself using Boat when I wanted Flash (used the Flashify and Share option) and for full screen in landscape but the Chrome browser was better for portrait. No reading mode (as on iOS) so tried a few of the apps. One crashed every time I opened it and the other used up the battery doing something in the background all the time. No matter, would have been nice to read some articles without the fluff.

I got a bit more ambitious and found there is a way to get full screen on the Nexus but I have to root it first, detoxify it (something like that) then get a tool called GMD Gestures which lets me use four finger swipes up and down instead of using the buttons. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go through all the effort and spend the money to still be unsure if it would work. Maybe I would end up with four swipes up to get rid of some of the bars in landscape with one browser and not bother swiping using a different browser in portrait. Etc. I think if I can buy a device which supports real full screen mode (that's upto the all the edges of the screen) then it might be worth the extra,

I am not an Apple fanboy before anyone starts, I've just been unable to get a decent web experience from the Nexus even with a lot of hard work and searching. Even the Playbook had a better web experience. I'm sure it's good for games but for me the Nexus 7 falls short - it's gone to eBay heaven and I hope some gamer buys it and gets more use out of it than I could.

sRDennyCrane

Mini wins on apps but Nexus has got MxPlayer which is a huge benefit because converting videos is a massive pain and
let's face it, watching videos is gonna be a main usage case for this size of tablet. There's lots of other points to cover but Apple covered them pretty well. The only upsides the Nexus has is the price, the OS (if you prefer Android, I'm neutral personally), and the unique apps that can't be on iOS due to Apple's restrictions. NFC is kinda moot right now for most users. If I had to pick I'd probably go Mini but if Google can re-up the Nexus with better build quality (ie. no screen lift or cracking), a better warranty (read the horror stories around), a MicroSD card slot and a brighter screen, it'd be about even - objectively speaking. Of course, some will prefer either one because of their personal preferences (love/hate of any feature including, and especially, brand).

You need to choose one side here... There's a reason TV and film use a wider format than 4:3. And if most people use their tablets to view video, 4:3 simply does not make sense. 16:9 makes sense. Unless those black bars are part of the "Apple Experience™".

opz187

Sep 30, 2012
This is why apple is so scared http://bgr.com/2012/10/26/android-tablets-take-a-huge-chunk-of-ipads-market-share-in-q3/. They are starting to lose a lot of the tablet market.. so they resort to tactic little kids use.. calling the competitors names and insulting them. And they have every right to be scared.. android is always 1 step ahead and has been for the last year or 2. But starting with the third quarter of this year.. figures are showing just how real of a threat android is to apple.

sRDennyCrane

Just for the record, I have invented a time machine of sorts. It uses beta particles that are flung around a super-massive gravitational object to send information back in time. AND, I just sold the design to Apple. It will allow them to patent things they never invented...before the people who really invented them.

It doesn't matter that I'm telling you all this. Once it goes online, Apple will buy XDA before I have a chance to post this and it will have never happened.

Time Travel- It Just Works.

Apple-logo.png

Reactions: Krunk_Kracker

aLPaSLaN07

Oct 5, 2010
Istanbul
Apple is sooo much in trouble with 4:3 ratio.. 16:9 has gone all the way but Apple can not transform into it because of their apps that are hardcoded for certain resolutions.. They need to find a solution to this.. Otherwise apple will find only a bunch of fanboy to sell their devices..

sRDennyCrane

You should venture onto the Apple forums... it's amazing how they spend hours justifying problems. Case in point, the soldered in RAM in the new Macbook Pro. It's BETTER that it's soldered in. If a user upgraded with non-Apple RAM, it would perform terrible! It makes the laptop thinner! They give you more than enough RAM anyway... and if it's not enough, you can double it for only $1,000!

Seriously, it's like that.

I've seen them defend their 4:3 screens to amazing ends... even when it's pointed out that ALL media now is at least 16:9. Well, other than Instagram. Oddly, they have people believing a square picture is somehow good.

Jbluna

Oct 19, 2011
Chicago
Guys were sounding like the apple fans after Samsung put up the s3 ads. Let's not go that route. All I hope for is for Google to retaliate back as well. And bring it on

yanksrock1000

Feb 23, 2012
You should venture onto the Apple forums... it's amazing how they spend hours justifying problems. Case in point, the soldered in RAM in the new Macbook Pro. It's BETTER that it's soldered in. If a user upgraded with non-Apple RAM, it would perform terrible! It makes the laptop thinner! They give you more than enough RAM anyway... and if it's not enough, you can double it for only $1,000!

Seriously, it's like that.

I've seen them defend their 4:3 screens to amazing ends... even when it's pointed out that ALL media now is at least 16:9. Well, other than Instagram. Oddly, they have people believing a square picture is somehow good.

I have never seen an Apple fan make these claims, at least on the Apple forum I go on...:p

itsirfandude

Oct 2, 2012
Coimbatore
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 2
No matter wateva b our groans and grumbles on the iPad mini the tablet pre orders sold out just in minutes..with all those crazy fanboys Apple's gonna reign again in the tablet market with the pre orders response making it certain each n every tym!!

Last edited:

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
I have never seen an Apple fan make these claims, at least on the Apple forum I go on...:p

I've seen and heard the 4:3 argument all the time. Hell, I just had an Apple loving friend arguing that 4:3 is superior for all tablet uses except movies. He believes its better for web browsing, book reading, etc.

harise100

Oct 20, 2011
I've seen and heard the 4:3 argument all the time. Hell, I just had an Apple loving friend arguing that 4:3 is superior for all tablet uses except movies. He believes its better for web browsing, book reading, etc.

Sure it is for a fan boy, until Apple releases a 16:9 tablet, and all of a sudden wide screen is best.
Remember that 3.5'' was the perfect phone size!

I would never buy 3:4 because I got a Nexus 7 and know that 16:9 lets you see more.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

littld

May 18, 2005
Sure it is for a fan boy, until Apple releases a 16:9 tablet, and all of a sudden wide screen is best.
Remember that 3.5'' was the perfect phone size!

I would never buy 3:4 because I got a Nexus 7 and know that 16:9 let's you see more.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

That may be true for movies but I still see a lot less on the Nexus 7 compared with the Kindle Fire or Playbook or iPad. It's down to the ugly black nav bar at the bottom of Android and the fact Chrome doesn't permit full screen. The Nexus 7 is simply crippled for web. But I accept it's good for (washed out) movies and games. Sadly I don't play games on my tablet and I prefer watching movies on a larger screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My View, I agree with the above posted.

1 - They are talking about it, it's obviously caught their attention and is effecting them and they don't like it, so they mock it and expect everything to think, oh its Apple they must be right.

2 - Nexus 7 has less screen estate? YES BECAUSE ITS A 7 INCH TABLET, the so called iPad MINI? is a bigger tablet (7.9 inch), therefor not very mini what so ever and is obviously going to have more "Screen Estate" than the Nexus7

3 - Apple are just worried, because people are waking up and realising that a 10 inch tab is a little to big, and clunky and in the iPad's case, HEAVY and makes you feel like you've been weight lifting after a little while of use.

4 - Apple is Apple, this is expected. All they do is ***** and moan (excuse my language) at other companies.

This is only because they realise that since iPhone 3/4? NOTHING HAS CHANGED AND THEY REGURGITATE THE SAME OLD CRAP ! and therefor people are getting BORED of their products, and their method of "Locking" people down and giving them no options or choice.

This is why Android is growing day by day !
    So you get a low rez screen with a old Gen processor, no GPS. rubbish maps, and a simplistic but limiting OS.

And you get to pay MORE for it....

Or as it's been discussed on G+:

The iPad mini size isn't a design choice - it's a technical requirement
    Yesterday, Apple when up on stage and put the Nexus 7 and the iPad mini side-by-side. They quickly told us how the iPad mini had a larger screen size and therefore could fit more content in it. But let me make something really, really clear - Apple themselves knows that the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire 7-inch sizes are perfect for their form-factor. The reason they did that comparison was to convince you otherwise because they didn't have a choice but to make their device wider.

Why didn't they have a choice? Well, I've said it once and I'll say it again - iOS apps are ridiculously tailored to their given screen proportions. It's actually disturbing. While Android apps scale properly on multiple screen sizes, form factors, and proportions, iOS apps won't. They're built for the specific screen you develop for. That's why the iPhone 5 goes into letter-box mode until a developer goes back and updates their apps for the new screen size. Yeesh, what a [fragmented] pain!

The iPad mini is completely proportionate to its bigger brother. Therefore, it can run iPad apps. If Apple were to release a 16:9 iPad, developers would all have to go back and reformat their apps for this brand new screen size. Like, once again, we see with the iPhone 5.

So, make no mistake - Apple didn't necessarily want to make the iPad the wide slab it is. It had to because, unlike Android, iOS hasn't been built for scaling.
    (Credit to Anuj Ahooja for this sensible and accurate writing on the subject)
    Just days before Apple took a dig on n7 claiming it to be a failure cheap plastic having blown up phone app and leps screen estate than the mini and blah blah blah
    http://m.cnet.com/news/fact-checking-phil-schiller-on-ipad-mini-vs-nexus-7/57538617
    http://512pixels.net/2012/10/keynote-nexus/
    What's ur say on that ?

The fact they they felt the need to talk about it directly tells you something.
    Apple are just stuck in a rut whereas they kickstarted the true Touchscreen Smartphone-without-a-hardware-keyboard market and kickstarted the Tablet market.

The iPad Mini, to quote a mate in the local phone shop, is nothing more than an iPad 2 which has been put through too hot a wash in the washing machine...
    What bothers me is that millions of week minded around the world will believe in every word they said. Fell sorry for all, those poor bastards.
    Also i m really mad with the way apple distort facts to make ipad and iphones look better to the simple minded.
    They should be sued for false advertising.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone