[Q] Registration for Nook Color, why is it important?

Search This thread

TheWhiteBandito

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2010
NY/CT
Hey all,

I'm still pretty new to the Nook Color, and I noticed while I was rooting that the instructions are as followed

1. You must already have a registered NOOKcolor
2. You must have a Google Account, for Gmail, Market, Etc. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.

Why is this important? Does it become tied into your Nook once you register with it? Does this still stick around if you erase the emmc and install CM7 on it?

TheWhiteBandito

Jun 15, 2010
NY/CT
The registration gets you past the code that looks for the B&N registration app.

So by wiping the emmc partition and installing cm7 over it, it's not "tied" into my nook anymore, right? The only data that the nook knows is what cm7 has on it, correct?

Sent from my HTC Incredible

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati
So by wiping the emmc partition and installing cm7 over it, it's not "tied" into my nook anymore, right? The only data that the nook knows is what cm7 has on it, correct?

Sent from my HTC Incredible

If you buy a brand new Nook Color. And that's all. brand new and charged you can wipe the installed perversion of android and run CM7 without registering it. You are correct. If you want to use the Market, YouTube, Calendar or other item you will need to sign in with your Google account. Or push all .apks via ADB commands, but still....

TheWhiteBandito

Jun 15, 2010
NY/CT
If you buy a brand new Nook Color. And that's all. brand new and charged you can wipe the installed perversion of android and run CM7 without registering it. You are correct. If you want to use the Market, YouTube, Calendar or other item you will need to sign in with your Google account. Or push all .apks via ADB commands, but still....

Ok, so what if I registered with the version that came with it, then wiped and put a fresh version of CM7 on it, would market access be enabled for a different email address?

I guess what I'm really asking is, does Market access in CM7 depend on what email address was used in the initial Nook software?

neidlinger

Aug 30, 2010
Cincinnati
Ok, so what if I registered with the version that came with it, then wiped and put a fresh version of CM7 on it, would market access be enabled for a different email address?

I guess what I'm really asking is, does Market access in CM7 depend on what email address was used in the initial Nook software?

Nope. I used the Stock interface and CM7. It's both tied to your Google Account.