• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Removing the Anti-Shatter Film

Search This thread

padooka

Dec 26, 2012
So I've read that a few people on this forum have removed their Factory ASF, though I haven't read much feedback on how this affected the device:

- was the sensitivity of the screen altered?
- did the screen quality change?
- is there sticky residue left after removal?
- if so, does the residue come off after a few weeks of removal?

I've watched several videos where the ASF is removed off of the Xperia Z, but I have yet to come across videos for the Xperia TABLET Z.
(Just Search "Xperia Z anti shatter film removal" on Youtube)

So far, the feedback is good for removing the ASK off the Xperia Z, but is it really safe for the Xperia Tablet Z?
Should I :
a) Remove the ASF and leave it as so
b) Remove the ASF and purchase a screen protector.
c) Leave the ASF on and purchase a screen protector

I have no scratches on my device yet, but I am afraid of having some in the future due to the fragility of the ASF.

Thanks!

Reactions: Showbiz1

padooka

Dec 26, 2012
I recklessly went ahead and removed the ASF with a box cutter and peeled of the film and I am satisfied with the results!

Youtube link : youtube.com/watch?v=xuwHzRYnzQY (sorry, new user -> cant post links)

The SONY logo is still on, but after washing the surface with a cloth and water, most of the adhesive is gone and it has a much better feel to it than the default film!

With that said, I plan on purchasing a Screen Protector anyways and have just bought the Poetic Slimline Case.

So far, I like the change because there is:

>Less Friction (After washing the tablet)
>Bettter Responsiveness
>Scratch resistance that eclipses the ASF
>A more premium feel to the screen

This DOES void your warranty so be wary of that, but in my opinion this was a worthwhile change!

Last edited:
Reactions: neuteboomt

jmikeb92

Feb 23, 2012
Syracuse
I have been thinking about doing this since the day I got my xtz and an hour later seeing a small scratch. Does the true screen really seem more scratch proof?

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk HD

padooka

Dec 26, 2012
I have been thinking about doing this since the day I got my xtz and an hour later seeing a small scratch. Does the true screen really seem more scratch proof?

It actually is resistant to scratches, I have absolutely no idea why Sony decided to apply a scratchable film on top of their scratch resistant screen, it really seems like nonsense. Plus, the glass surface seems smother after washing it, so I definitely recommend doing it, I doubt it affects shatter resistance, if you drop your tablets from 1 meter/3ft, it's screen is likely to break either way.

I ordered the Poetic Slimline Case, so that'll add protection to the tablet too; it theoretically renders the ASF's "purpose" useless since it offers shock redistribution. The screen remains a fingerprint magnet, though, but it's not as bad as having the film on.

My Questions: Answered

Q - was the sensitivity of the screen altered?
A: Yes, The screen feels more responsive. An overall improvement. +1

Q - did the screen quality change?
A: The screen is definitely clearer and fingerprints are less prominent An overall improvement. +1

Q - is there sticky residue left after removal?
A: Yes, but a cloth and water or a screen washing solution removes it after a bit of rubbing, not much effort is needed.

Q - if so, does the residue come off after a few weeks of removal?
A: Refer to above answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: neuteboomt

Zb134

Dec 8, 2010
Montreal
So I've read that a few people on this forum have removed their Factory ASF, though I haven't read much feedback on how this affected the device:

I've watched several videos where the ASF is removed off of the Xperia Z, but I have yet to come across videos for the Xperia TABLET Z.

So far, the feedback is good for removing the ASK off the Xperia Z, but is it really safe for the Xperia Tablet Z?
Should I :

I have no scratches on my device yet, but I am afraid of having some in the future due to the fragility of the ASF.

Thanks!

I removed the shatterproof film on mine within a week of getting the tablet. I hate the feel of screen protectors and like to leave all my devices unprotected!

Anyway, I'd highly recommend anyone thinking of it to go ahead and remove it. YES, it does improve touch sensitivity and its so much better to touch real glass than a plastic film. I didn't notice much change in the display quality and would love to see a kernel which will let me change some of the gamma settings (way too warm for me now and blacks aren't dark enough).

Removing the film is not that easy and there will be some residue left behind but it comes off with a days use.

Reactions: Ryu_1806

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
I also removed the film.

Now I find the color reproduction better, picture seems brighter, touch sensitivity unchanged.

And indeed the feeling of touching glass is better!

Only thing is, now the rim is a bit higher than the screen glass (just the amount that equals the thickness of the Sony screen protector which is surprisingly thick), which doesn't feel as smooth to the fingers when holding the device.

You can adjust the white balance by rooting the tablet and installing the white balance from the Xperia ZL. There is a thread somewhere (Xperia ZL white balance ported to Xperia Z or so) with instructions how to install. Works flawlessly here. For removing the yellowish/greenish tint, you have to increase the saturation of blue/violet tones (complementary color).

Last edited:

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
You have to cautiously lift one corner of the film with a very thin blade, for instance a carpet knife. Then you can grab the film and peel it off.

ngvuanh

Jan 1, 2013
I am using Poetic Slim Case. It perfectly fits with luxury look and feel.
I bought Sony case and returned within an hour after walked out of the store. Ridiculous expensive but feel cheapo.
I ordered the Poetic Slimline Case, so that'll add protection to the tablet too; it theoretically renders the ASF's "purpose" useless since it offers shock redistribution. The screen remains a fingerprint magnet, though, but it's not as bad as having the film on.

Ryu_1806

Aug 8, 2013
I removed the shatterproof film on mine within a week of getting the tablet. I hate the feel of screen protectors and like to leave all my devices unprotected!

Anyway, I'd highly recommend anyone thinking of it to go ahead and remove it. YES, it does improve touch sensitivity and its so much better to touch real glass than a plastic film. I didn't notice much change in the display quality and would love to see a kernel which will let me change some of the gamma settings (way too warm for me now and blacks aren't dark enough).

Removing the film is not that easy and there will be some residue left behind but it comes off with a days use.

Love the feeling without sticky oil and fingerprint!!! But i gonna get another screen protector for anti-glare purpose. Thanks for experiences

Reactions: nut987

etrex1221

Jun 15, 2013
I'd just like to point out the "purpose" of the shatterproof screen protector is to prevent shattering (key word being shatter meaning shards of glass coming Off the screen the screen) which the protector does its job and keeps the shards on the device thus making it shatterproof. It does not make it crack proof. And replacing with another screen protector Will retain the original shatterproof ability. I am happy to have stumbled across this thread as I was unaware there was a protector and was mad that it scratched so easily. Now I have a way to remove those scratches.

Last edited:

r1ntse

Feb 14, 2012
I have to be entirely honest here, i got my XTZ 4 months ago and i just now realised it even has an antishatter film

Aug 21, 2013
i was directed here by another kind member, after noticing my EasyAcc case was causing scratches on the screen.

I am glad that the screen itself has not been scratched, but instead the ASF. Was effing annoyed when I saw the scratches!

Now that I know it is just the ASF I am going to keep it on and allow it to take more punishment before I take it off! Then i'll decide whether to buy another protector or leave the screen naked.

Was considering getting the Official Sony case, but feedback from people here is not good, so I guess the seach continues for an alternative case.

Zb134

Dec 8, 2010
Montreal
I'd recommend against buying the Sony case. It's too expensive for the design and quality. My first one was damaged within 2 months of normal use.... Luckily they replaced it.

Sent from my SGP311 using XDA Premium HD app

MikeViller

Jun 1, 2013
removing ASF from my tablet Z is the best thing I have done..... sharper and more responsive with my stylus.... and more ....
the best is the fingers print ... without the film minimum print.....
;) don't tell Sony lol

Last edited:

globiboulga

Mar 19, 2009
I just removed mine almost two years after I bought the tablet. Brilliant. You can imagine the level of scratching on the tablet by now!!!! Now, let's get lollipop and it'll feel like that I got a brand new tablet for nothing!

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
Removed mine after many years with this tablet and sadly regret:

- Glass is uncoated so feels worse to touch, has higher friction, and picks up oily marks. Refraction from fingerprints is now visible when the display is on; oleophobic coating normally prevents this
- Screen appearance is identical, no change in colours/contrast/etc. I'm a nerd when it comes to monitor calibration so I don't say this lightly!
- Most importantly: touch input is degraded. I have verified with the developer tools that swipes misbehave - either registering as a tap, or as a swipe that jumps to the corner of the screen. Scrolling feels broken now - often fails to continue momentum scrolling after removing finger due to the corner jump

Overall would not recommend, the digitiser is calibrated for the ASF to be present. The only positive is fewer scratches.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I also removed the film.

Now I find the color reproduction better, picture seems brighter, touch sensitivity unchanged.

And indeed the feeling of touching glass is better!

Only thing is, now the rim is a bit higher than the screen glass (just the amount that equals the thickness of the Sony screen protector which is surprisingly thick), which doesn't feel as smooth to the fingers when holding the device.

You can adjust the white balance by rooting the tablet and installing the white balance from the Xperia ZL. There is a thread somewhere (Xperia ZL white balance ported to Xperia Z or so) with instructions how to install. Works flawlessly here. For removing the yellowish/greenish tint, you have to increase the saturation of blue/violet tones (complementary color).

Should I :

Thanks!
    I recklessly went ahead and removed the ASF with a box cutter and peeled of the film and I am satisfied with the results!

Youtube link : youtube.com/watch?v=xuwHzRYnzQY (sorry, new user -> cant post links)

The SONY logo is still on, but after washing the surface with a cloth and water, most of the adhesive is gone and it has a much better feel to it than the default film!

With that said, I plan on purchasing a Screen Protector anyways and have just bought the Poetic Slimline Case.

So far, I like the change because there is:

>Less Friction (After washing the tablet)
    >Bettter Responsiveness
    >Scratch resistance that eclipses the ASF
    >A more premium feel to the screen

This DOES void your warranty so be wary of that, but in my opinion this was a worthwhile change!

It actually is resistant to scratches, I have absolutely no idea why Sony decided to apply a scratchable film on top of their scratch resistant screen, it really seems like nonsense. Plus, the glass surface seems smother after washing it, so I definitely recommend doing it, I doubt it affects shatter resistance, if you drop your tablets from 1 meter/3ft, it's screen is likely to break either way.

My Questions: Answered

Q - was the sensitivity of the screen altered?
    A: Yes, The screen feels more responsive. An overall improvement. +1

Q - did the screen quality change?
    A: The screen is definitely clearer and fingerprints are less prominent An overall improvement. +1

Q - is there sticky residue left after removal?
    A: Yes, but a cloth and water or a screen washing solution removes it after a bit of rubbing, not much effort is needed.

Q - if so, does the residue come off after a few weeks of removal?
    A: Refer to above answer.

Should I :

Thanks!