[Q] RESOLVED! From CleanROM to What? With Scott gone, what's the next big ROM?

Search This thread

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I was surprised and sad to find that Scott (scrosler) has moved on to a new device (Nexus7, SGS Note2...) and left us with a great ROM (CleanROM v2.4) but with no clear path to the future. I have used Baked Black Bean and Hiemanshu's various offerings and there is lots of potential there, especially with Clemsyn's CM kernels.

What do you say...are you leaning toward CM or AOSP (4.2???) or are you hoping for someone to take over CleanROM and continue with a tweaked stock experience?

I do know that I'm going to focus my donations on Clemsyn to try to get him a TF700 so he can continue to work his kernel magic!

Update: Since this was posted, some great devs stepped up and took over the CleanROM legacy.

Thanks for the great dicussion, guys! :victory:

Last edited:

Firebrazer

Oct 20, 2012
Honestly, I have no idea yet. I see no reason to flash anything else anytime soon. I'm still very happy with CleanROM (still using 2.3, haven't gotten around to 2.4 yet). I've got my eyes on Paranoid, LiquidSmooth and CM10 though, and will be following the developmentˆˆ

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Heck I was fine with 2.3...
Then 2.4 appeared so I'm pretty sure things will be good for a long while.
I'm confident there will be more excellent development coming.

Shipped by rail freight

Vo01985

Jan 13, 2011
I just caved and unlocked and flashed CleanROM, only to learn the developer left! :(
Well, it is a much better stock experience, so I should be good for a while, and will follow the development of others ROMs I guess.

Firebrazer

Oct 20, 2012
Why? CleanROM 2.3 (can't speak for 2.4 since I haven't flashed it yet) is still an absolutely fantastic ROM - that doesn't change just because the developer has moved on to a different device. Granted, there may be no more updates Scott, but I'm still hopefull somebody takes over development. If not, I'll have to keep an eye out for other ROMs.

And if you were "about to" unlock, it's gonna happen sooner or later :p

Last edited:

dicky.hillary

Aug 31, 2007
Newcastle, England, UK
Why? CleanROM 2.3 (can't speak for 2.4 since I haven't flashed it yet) is still an absolutely fantastic ROM - that doesn't change just because the developer has moved on to a different device. Granted, there may be no more updates Scott, but I'm still hopefull somebody takes over development. If not, I'll have to keep an eye out for other ROMs.

And if you were "about to" unlock, it's gonna happen sooner or later :p

I wouldn't hesitate to flash CleanROM 2.4, I've been running it for a couple of days and all I can say is WOW, V2.3 was brilliant... V2.4 is ( in my opinion ) a noticeable upgrade and is better again! :D

Cheers

macaumen

Jan 5, 2011
Glad that I haven't unlocked mine yet. It's true that there should be at least 1 stock based ROM available. I indeed enjoy some of the stock ROM features. I am not moving to CM or AOSP ROM unless they provide a newer Android update than stock.

papand7

Mar 9, 2010
i am not a dev...

But i figured i would try to mess around a little :)

I tried png optimizing cleanrom 2.4 and installing/running v6 supercharger script along with some extra buildprop tweaks
which i found in a tf300t stock based rom...

The device feels a little faster in my opinion and apps launch a little faster(might just be my brain playing games)

i was wondering if someone with the right knowledge would mind to try and png optimize and incorporate v6 supercharger into this rom?
and see if there is any gains? :)
as i do not know how this would be done as i am a newb :)

btw these are the build prop lines i added:

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit
persist.sys.NV_FPSLIMIT = 120
debug.performance.tuning=1
persist.sys.composition.type=gpu
ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100
com.qc.hardware=true
ro.debuggable=1
dalvik.vm.verify-bytecode = false
ro.media.dec.jpeg.memcap=80000000
ro.media.enc.hprof.vid.bps=8000000

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Oct 2, 2012
i am not a dev...

I think Scott (and many other devs) started the same as you. :)

I tried png optimizing cleanrom 2.4 and installing/running v6 supercharger script along with some extra buildprop tweaks

What do you mean with "png optimizing"? PNG is a graphics format, what's the relation to the Android OS?

The device feels a little faster in my opinion and apps launch a little faster(might just be my brain playing games)

Many of the "optimizations", even some of those in CleanROM, are pure psychology, or the speed increase is real, but only due to rebooting or cleaning data.

com.qc.hardware=true
ro.debuggable=1

Now for each of these, find out what they are, and if your setting has any effect at all.

papand7

Mar 9, 2010
PNG optimize is a way to make all of the apps in the System/apps folder smaller leaving a smaller memory footprint when the device is running,
at least thats what i understand.

well the tweaks i did might just be psychologic but i guess i will never know for sure untill others try it..

i have no clue about all of those build.prop edits and as i said i am not a dev :) i am just playing around learning a little :)
But i will try to find out what they are supposed to do :)

well if scott is picking this one up then that would be awesome! :)

my device has alot of screen popping aka screen is loose some places...
Have anyone gotten asus to fix issues like this on an unlocked device for free?

_that

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Oct 2, 2012
PNG optimize is a way to make all of the apps in the System/apps folder smaller leaving a smaller memory footprint when the device is running,
at least thats what i understand.

What does it do? Remove PNGs for unused resolutions? Compress them better?

i have no clue about all of those build.prop edits and as i said i am not a dev :) i am just playing around learning a little :)
But i will try to find out what they are supposed to do :)

You don't need to be a dev to operate a search engine. It just helps to understand the descriptions that you will find. :) But for example, if you find that the default value of some property is the same you are trying to set, you will have gained knowledge even without understanding what exactly the property does.

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
CleanROM 2.4 is good to go, and will be for the life of the device. OCD Flashing Disorder is just that, and nothing more. I admit I too suffered from it with my SGS2, but I've come to realize that devicest do not need to run the very latest to just be great in themselves. I'm happy with the TF700 as it is now, and since all the other ROMs fail to properly support the dock, I will not be changing -- at least until the touchpad can be turned off, and the WiFi/Bluetooth/brightness toggles work properly. Those are my minimal criteria.

Godswrath

Dec 30, 2011
I'll be sticking to CleanRom2.4 myself for a long while (on 300t). And I completely agree with Marty, there's really no reason to be constantly updating the ROM to the next android version. I haven't updated my SII Rom in months and I have absolutely no issues with it. (The developer also ceased making updates for the SII rom)

Vo01985

Jan 13, 2011
Yeah I'm on CleanROM 2.4 and it's very good. It's still a stock experience yet it is much, much faster. I don't have OCD flashing syndrome (probably cause I suck at backupping and restoring). But I should use this ROM for quite a while.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Devs quitting their threads/support for roms are the exact reason I do not donate to them. No one forced them to create the rom, or held a gun to their heads.

Companies do it all the time. No one is still updating vcr's. No one forced us to install the Rom. Should the devs give up their lives just to make people like you happy? You can always learn to create your own roms and then you wont have to worry about updates.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    I was surprised and sad to find that Scott (scrosler) has moved on to a new device (Nexus7, SGS Note2...) and left us with a great ROM (CleanROM v2.4) but with no clear path to the future. I have used Baked Black Bean and Hiemanshu's various offerings and there is lots of potential there, especially with Clemsyn's CM kernels.

What do you say...are you leaning toward CM or AOSP (4.2???) or are you hoping for someone to take over CleanROM and continue with a tweaked stock experience?

I do know that I'm going to focus my donations on Clemsyn to try to get him a TF700 so he can continue to work his kernel magic!

Update: Since this was posted, some great devs stepped up and took over the CleanROM legacy.

Thanks for the great dicussion, guys! :victory:
    i am not a dev...

i was wondering if someone with the right knowledge would mind to try and png optimize and incorporate v6 supercharger into this rom?
    and see if there is any gains? :)
    as i do not know how this would be done as i am a newb :)

btw these are the build prop lines i added:

com.qc.hardware=true
    ro.debuggable=1
    But for example, if you find that the default value of some property is the same you are trying to set, you will have gained knowledge even without understanding what exactly the property does.

And as long as the nose doesn't light up you'll be fine... ;)

I'm one of 2 developers who have decided to continue on with the excellent CleanROM base :D

CleanROM Inheritance
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone