[Q] ROMs not showing up in TWRP?

Search This thread

NorNichols

Feb 18, 2013
Reno
I searched and looked at other threads with people having the same problems, but none helped, and none of those threads had an OP with the Galaxy S3.

So here's the thing, I got rooted yesterday, and it was all good. Then today, I flashed the LiquidSmooth ROM and GApps with ROM Toolbox, and it went fine. Then I decided I wanted to try a different one, so I flashed to my backup, and that went fine. So I downloaded and put both the PACman ROM with GApps 4.1 from like 12/12, and RootBox with the newest 4.2 GApps onto my internal SD. However, I'm using ROM Toolbox, and when I added RootBox and the 4.2 GApps to the queue, in the right order, and told it to install them, and to wipe the devik cache (I think that's what it's called) and to delete all the data and stuff like you are supposed to, it booted into recovery, wiped the data, and then just stopped. So I had to restore to my backup, which the newest one vanished, so I had to use the day old one.

Next I booted into recovery, to manually add the files myself, however, they weren't there. The only thing that showed up was the old 4.1 12/12 GApps, and nothing else. I then tried to install PACman and the 4.1 GApps from ROM Toolbox, but it did the same thing, and I had to restore to my back up.

Can anyone maybe shed some light to why the ROM's aren't coming up?

NorNichols

Feb 18, 2013
Reno
When you looked for the ROMs in TWRP, which directory did you look in? Did you download the ROMs via ROM Toolbox?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

I looked in the sdcard directory I'm pretty sure. And I just downloaded RootBox from ROM Toolbox, and tried to install it, but it did the same thing and didn't work.

My phone only had like, 35% battery when I did this, could that be a problem?

Last edited:

GhostIsBaked

Aug 21, 2012
Dallas, Tx
I looked in the sdcard directory I'm pretty sure. And I just downloaded RootBox from ROM Toolbox, and tried to install it, but it did the same thing and didn't work.

If you're going to manually flash it through recovery, Root box should be in directory /sdcard/romtoolbox/download/ or something similar since ROM toolbox creates its own folder

Also when you say it just stops, what do you see on your screen?

Last edited:
Reactions: NorNichols

NorNichols

Feb 18, 2013
Reno
Well, if I start it through ROM Toolbox, it reboots into recovery, and then says like, wiping data or something similar, and then it goes back to the TWRP home screen, and then if I boot back into the system it's just stock, and then I have to restore to my backup.

And if I flash it manually, wont' it not matter where it is, or isn't it supposed to be in the root of the sdcard? Like, I can see if I was doing it through ROM Toolbox, but when I do it manually, it shouldn't matter, right?

Okay, so I just tried again, and it the last thing it says is (this isn't word for word, closest I can remember) Something cash make4ext.something or something close to that. Then it just goes to the home screen of TWRP.

Okay, so this is what just happened, I went to install LiquidSmooth again, and it said, Unable to locate zip file '/sdcard/romtoolbox/downloads/blahblahblah(doesn't show full directory)
E: Error installing zip file
Checking for MD5 file
E:No MD5 file found
Error flashing zip

Last edited:

GhostIsBaked

Aug 21, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Well, if I start it through ROM Toolbox, it reboots into recovery, and then says like, wiping data or something similar, and then it goes back to the TWRP home screen, and then if I boot back into the system it's just stock, and then I have to restore to my backup.

And if I flash it manually, wont' it not matter where it is, or isn't it supposed to be in the root of the sdcard? Like, I can see if I was doing it through ROM Toolbox, but when I do it manually, it shouldn't matter, right?

Okay, so I just tried again, and it the last thing it says is (this isn't word for word, closest I can remember) Something cash make4ext.something or something close to that. Then it just goes to the home screen of TWRP.

Okay, so this is what just happened, I went to install LiquidSmooth again, and it said, Unable to locate zip file '/sdcard/romtoolbox/downloads/blahblahblah(doesn't show full directory)
Checking for MD5 file
Error flashing zip

What version of TWRP are you on?

Try flashing it through TWRP without using toolbox

Download liquid smooth
Download

Steps:
1.Boot into recovery
2.create backup if needed
3.wipe dalvik cache
4.wipe cache
5.wipe factory reset
6.wipe system
7.install- Select the ROM .zip and install
8.Install the 4.2 gapps (12-12)
9. Reboot system

Last edited:

NorNichols

Feb 18, 2013
Reno
Well actually, I wanted to try the PACman ROM next, so could I just download that and do all the same things, but with that, and instead of the 4.2 GApps, use the 12/12 4.1 GApps?

Also, I'm using 2.3.3.1, and I see that there is a newer one. Can I just flash that one over this one using ROM Toolbox?

Last edited:

GhostIsBaked

Aug 21, 2012
Dallas, Tx
Well actually, I wanted to try the PACman ROM next, so could I just download that and do all the same things, but with that, and instead of the 4.2 GApps, use the 12/12 4.1 GApps?

Also, I'm using 2.3.3.1, and I see that there is a newer one. Can I just flash that one over this one using ROM Toolbox?

Yea but make sure it's specifically for this device (d2tmo/sgh-t999)

The 12-12-12 gapps are 4.2 which are the correct ones to use for PAC Man as well.

DO THIS FIRST
Easiest way to update it is to download GooManager from the playstore. Once, installed, press menu button and install the open recovery script. Latest is 2.4.1.

Last edited:

NorNichols

Feb 18, 2013
Reno
rnedkle and

It's still not there, I dragged and dropped it into my phone on my computer, but I don't see it. GApps is there, but not the ROM.

I'll try GooManager now, just weird that ROM Toolbox was working earlier and so was TWRP, but now TWRP can't find the ROM and ROM Toolbox can't install things. I went from thinking, wow this isn't hard at all, to, why won't this work! I'll download GooManager in just a bit, my phone is restoring to a backup.

Last edited:

GhostIsBaked

Aug 21, 2012
Dallas, Tx
It's still not there, I dragged and dropped it into my phone on my computer, but I don't see it. GApps is there, but not the ROM.

I'll try GooManager now, just weird that ROM Toolbox was working earlier and so was TWRP, but now TWRP can't find the ROM and ROM Toolbox can't install things. I went from thinking, wow this isn't hard at all, to, why won't this work! I'll download GooManager in just a bit, my phone is restoring to a backup.

OK. I'm gonna catch some sleep for a bit. I'll check back in the morning. Hope everything goes alright man :thumbup:

NorNichols

Feb 18, 2013
Reno
OK. I'm gonna catch some sleep for a bit. I'll check back in the morning. Hope everything goes alright man :thumbup:

Okay, I appreciate the help. Sleep well.

For anyone who see's this next, just tried GooManager, also didn't work, so I'm pretty much going to give up for the rest of tonight and see what any of you have to say tomorrow. This is a bummer, but oh well, it's just weird that it was working fine and now it won't. I'm going to bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostIsBaked

Aerowinder

Aug 11, 2012
You putting these on intsd or extsd? You can't see them through TWRP, the phones file browser, or the computer? Unmount/remount the extsd in Storage settings.

Don't flash through an app. Flash things manually through recovery. If you always use an app to flash for you, you don't learn how to fix problems when you run into them.

You can Odin TWRP from my signature (hopefully you have Mobile ODIN), or here's a zip: http://db.tt/0SzQ0aK7

Last edited:

GBP85

Feb 23, 2011
Fort Wayne
I bet all of your ROMs are still on your phone. The latest JB creates partitions in your memory. These partitions are for multiple users. Your problem is amplified by having an old recovery. You can locate all of your stuff by going to your memory and going through the folders that start with emulated/0. The latest recovery will fix this issue and you'll be able to use ROM toolbox to flash.

NorNichols

Feb 18, 2013
Reno
I bet all of your ROMs are still on your phone. The latest JB creates partitions in your memory. These partitions are for multiple users. Your problem is amplified by having an old recovery. You can locate all of your stuff by going to your memory and going through the folders that start with emulated/0. The latest recovery will fix this issue and you'll be able to use ROM toolbox to flash.
How do I get into the memory to find emulated/0?

Edit: I flashed CWR, and it worked just fine...but then I decided I didn't like the PACman ROM, so now I'm back to restoring back to normal...I guess next I'll try Carbon or Rootbox.
Edit2: Aww dangit, guys I'm a failure. It's stuck on the Samsung logo after you pass the tmobile one, so now I am back into recovery and reset everything and formatted and stuff, and now I'm trying to restore from the backup again...I think if I fix it, my flashing ROM days are done for awhile.
Edit 3: Ended up using Odin to get a rooted stock build on there, then downloaded ROM Toolbox, flashed TWRP, put the backup back on my phone since I have a copy of it on my computer, restored, and now we are all good.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When you looked for the ROMs in TWRP, which directory did you look in? Did you download the ROMs via ROM Toolbox?

If you're going to manually flash it through recovery, Root box should be in directory /sdcard/romtoolbox/download/ or something similar since ROM toolbox creates its own folder

Also when you say it just stops, what do you see on your screen?

Checking for MD5 file
    Error flashing zip

What version of TWRP are you on?

Try flashing it through TWRP without using toolbox

Download liquid smooth
    Download

Steps:
    1.Boot into recovery
    2.create backup if needed
    3.wipe dalvik cache
    4.wipe cache
    5.wipe factory reset
    6.wipe system
    7.install- Select the ROM .zip and install
    8.Install the 4.2 gapps (12-12)
    9. Reboot system

Yea but make sure it's specifically for this device (d2tmo/sgh-t999)

The 12-12-12 gapps are 4.2 which are the correct ones to use for PAC Man as well.

DO THIS FIRST
    Easiest way to update it is to download GooManager from the playstore. Once, installed, press menu button and install the open recovery script. Latest is 2.4.1.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone