• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Root, Custom Roms, Unlock on Asus TF700T

Search This thread

ben9000

May 8, 2013
Hello,

i was wondering if someone could answer some questions that i have about android and the asus tf700t.
now i already searched on google and on xda but there are so many informations and i just cant tell which one is the "best" or the right one.
My Asus is unlocked. i got that far and didnt think it would be too hard to root but i see command lines and/or 3 different kinds of software or files that i have to download first or programs like unlockroot etc.
so i was wondering if you could answer me a few questions.

1. do i need to root to put on a custom rom or is it enough that the device is unlocked?
2. what is the easiest and safest way to root?
3. what are 3 good custom roms?

i have android 4.1.1 on my asus and heard that 4.2 is out so i would like to update it but i never had an android device until now so i just want to make sure i m not destroying it after 3 months of use.

Thank you very much
Ben

Tylorw1

Feb 10, 2013
Ohio
tylorhost.me
Custom ROMS are pre rooted, usually, so you best bet would:
1. Update to stock 4.2.1
2. Root using Motochopper
3. Download GooManager(give root rights') from Play Store and Install TWRP by installing open script recovery.
4. Perform a factory reset via TWRP, without wiping Internal storage, or MicroSD card.
5. Install CromiX or CyanogenMod

There are other ROMS out there, but it is advised to install CromiX first because it is stock based and can be flashed over the stock ROM.

Also, make sure you know how to get into the recovery manually, and make sure you check files before flashing to make sure things downloaded properly.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
ROM: CleanRom Xenogenesis 4.4 DeOdex
Kernel: Hundsbuah's V3.0.5 OC Kernel
Theme: Timberwolf's Blues and Jazz Theme

ben9000

May 8, 2013
Thank you for the short guide....

but here is the first problem i have....
i dont know how to upgrade to 4.2.1. or if that update is available for my device yet. some pages said it is. some said its not available.
i have no idea where to get it since over the air update is not possible due to the unlock.

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

i dont know how to upgrade to 4.2.1. or if that update is available for my device yet. some pages said it is. some said its not available.
i have no idea where to get it since over the air update is not possible due to the unlock.

Asus pulled the JB 4.2.1 firmware off their website, probably because they realized it had too many bugs. They probably are working on a new release and I would wait for it.
In the meantime read the forums and familiarize yourself with the process of rooting, installing a custom recovery and flashing custom roms.

If you don't want to wait, search for the forums on the Motochopper tool. I believe you can also use it to gain root under 4.1, but I'm not 100% sure.
If you have root, download Goo Manager, tap the 3 dots in the upper right and choose: Install open recovery script.
This will install the TWRP 2.5.0 custom recovery.
Boot into TWRP and select 'Backup'. This will give you a nandroid backup of your current system. Copy it to a safe place.

Next, you still being on 4.1, you need to flash the JB 4.2 bootloader which is version 10.6.1.14.4. You'll find a link in post 1 of the Cromi Xenogenesis thread in the development section. The dev packaged it with TWRP 2.5. It doesn't hurt to re-install TWRP.
Also download the latest release of the Cromi-X (ODEX) ROM, currently 4.4.1, and place both zips into the root of your internal or external SD card (your choice).
Boot into recovery, choose 'Install', navigate to the 10.6.1.14.4 bootloader/TWRP zip you downloaded and swipe to flash it. After installation the tablet will reboot into your old rom - this is fine.

At this point, just to be safe, you may want to check if you have the correct bootloader installed: Boot up with Vol Down and Power button and read the tiny script. It gives you the bootloader version.
If you're 100% sure you have the correct bootloader and TWRP 2.5.0, proceed:

Boot into TWRP recovery again, select Install, select the CROMIX 4.4.1 zip and flash it.
The Aroma installer will start and give you options to choose from. Stick with most of the default options for the beginning. You can always re-flash the rom with a different set of options selected.
Enjoy!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Asus pulled the JB 4.2.1 firmware off their website, probably because they realized it had too many bugs. They probably are working on a new release and I would wait for it.
    In the meantime read the forums and familiarize yourself with the process of rooting, installing a custom recovery and flashing custom roms.

If you don't want to wait, search for the forums on the Motochopper tool. I believe you can also use it to gain root under 4.1, but I'm not 100% sure.
    If you have root, download Goo Manager, tap the 3 dots in the upper right and choose: Install open recovery script.
    This will install the TWRP 2.5.0 custom recovery.
    Boot into TWRP and select 'Backup'. This will give you a nandroid backup of your current system. Copy it to a safe place.

Next, you still being on 4.1, you need to flash the JB 4.2 bootloader which is version 10.6.1.14.4. You'll find a link in post 1 of the Cromi Xenogenesis thread in the development section. The dev packaged it with TWRP 2.5. It doesn't hurt to re-install TWRP.
    Also download the latest release of the Cromi-X (ODEX) ROM, currently 4.4.1, and place both zips into the root of your internal or external SD card (your choice).
    Boot into recovery, choose 'Install', navigate to the 10.6.1.14.4 bootloader/TWRP zip you downloaded and swipe to flash it. After installation the tablet will reboot into your old rom - this is fine.

At this point, just to be safe, you may want to check if you have the correct bootloader installed: Boot up with Vol Down and Power button and read the tiny script. It gives you the bootloader version.
    If you're 100% sure you have the correct bootloader and TWRP 2.5.0, proceed:

Boot into TWRP recovery again, select Install, select the CROMIX 4.4.1 zip and flash it.
    The Aroma installer will start and give you options to choose from. Stick with most of the default options for the beginning. You can always re-flash the rom with a different set of options selected.
    Enjoy!