[Q] Root dissapears on my Nexus 7 2013

Search This thread

sbtwister

Mar 1, 2012
I've unlocked and rooted my Nexus 7 2013 the day I got it (first week of release). Had no troubles with the device. All OTA went fine.
I think - not sure - I lost root when OTA Kitkat was delivered.
I rooted again last week, with xda update supersu-v1.86.zip.
It looks like everytime I shut down the Nexus, my root dissapears. I have to test this further, but does this sound familiar to someone ?
Anyone that might explain what is going on ?

oldsoldier2003

Jun 30, 2012
Eldorado
I've unlocked and rooted my Nexus 7 2013 the day I got it (first week of release). Had no troubles with the device. All OTA went fine.
I think - not sure - I lost root when OTA Kitkat was delivered.
I rooted again last week, with xda update supersu-v1.86.zip.
It looks like everytime I shut down the Nexus, my root dissapears. I have to test this further, but does this sound familiar to someone ?
Anyone that might explain what is going on ?

Try opening Supersu and see if it needs to be updated - it probably does since chainfire just released a new version (1.91). Let Supersu reboot to recovery and update using twrp or cwm and it *should* solve your problem.

added- after an OTA its probably better to install Supersu through TWRP or CWM if you lose root, installing it through Google play seems more hit and miss in my experience (YMMV, but it always seems to work better for me this way)

Last edited:

userdelroot

Aug 7, 2010
Florida
SuperSU has a survival mode for OTA updates, however it requires the paid version.
If you did an OTA you will have to re-root unless you had survival mode enabled.

I recommend reflashing TWRP, then reflash supersu.
Then clear Dalivik cache and cache.

sbtwister

Mar 1, 2012
Thanks @oldsoldier2003. SuperSu was saying that the bin file was not present. So I went in recovery and adb pushed the 1.91 file in recovery with twrp again and let it install. It's back ok now.
@userdelroot : I only use the xda version of supersu never the google play store ones.

I don't know what messed it up ... but I'm glad it's back again.

Thanks all of you for your help.

userdelroot

Aug 7, 2010
Florida
Just curious as to the reason to not use the Google play superSu?
Once you are rooted etc

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app