[Q] Root for Asus Fonepad Note 6 FHD???

Feb 24, 2007
I would also be very thankful if someone could help us root the Fonepad Note 6 since I guess that it would be the only possibility to run certain Apps in tablet mode.
Don't understand why the Fonepad 7 was in tablet mode and now the Fonepad 6 isn't :crying:

Thanks in advance!!!

iamhcg

Mar 26, 2011
Asus Fonepad Note 6 is out there. I just got one and really happy with it. The only problem is ,because it is so new, that there is no root resource on line.

Can some almighty capable ones help us out? Thanks.

Here's Fonepad Note 6's official page:

http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_Fonepad_Note_6_ME560CG/#support_Download
Still no news here. :(

Asus fonepad note 6 uses intel Z2580 CPU. There are a few devices which use the same CPU, have already had root access, such as Lenovo K900. I truely hope the all mighty developers in XDA can help us out. T_T

iamhcg

Mar 26, 2011
Did you tried kingo root? Because It root lenovo k900.
Thanks for replying. But I can't find USB drivers for fonepad note 6 in Asus website. I am not sure whether or not I can use the k900 drivers instead.

If the driver is wrong, there will be no consequences right? Like I won't brick my fonepad note 6, right? thanks.

iamhcg

Mar 26, 2011
I think I kinda figure out the process. It's basically same as rooting Lenovo K900 or memopad fhd10.

First install the intel android device usb drivers.

Then flash a pre-rooted factory image with fastbood command or flashing tools.

Now all we need is a pre-rooted factory image. :(

Last edited:

iamhcg

Mar 26, 2011
Yeah, my Note 6 is rooted. I'm italian and this is my tutorial with screenshot: http://www.alessiofasano.com/2013/11/come-sbloccare-il-root-su-asus-fonepad-note-6.html

Titanium Backup, Adfree, Es File Explorer work, Quickboot doesn't work :(
Thanks so much for sharing. But I can't read Italian at all.
I tried google translation but still very confusing. Is the rooting process only achievable on Linux system?

I am sorry to ask so much. But, if it's possible to have an English version of step by step and in windows environment, It'll be helping so much.

alessiof89

Sep 2, 2012
Vicenza (Italy)
Thanks so much for sharing. But I can't read Italian at all.
I tried google translation but still very confusing. Is the rooting process only achievable on Linux system?

I am sorry to ask so much. But, if it's possible to have an English version of step by step and in windows environment, It'll be helping so much.
I think the root process is also available for Windows but in that case you need the official drivers from Asus that I do not know where to download.

If your Windows PC is able to communicate with the Fonepad I think that it is enough to run Cydia Impactor (also available for Windows) but I'can't try because i haven't Windows on my PC

iamhcg

Mar 26, 2011
I think the root process is also available for Windows but in that case you need the official drivers from Asus that I do not know where to download.

If your Windows PC is able to communicate with the Fonepad I think that it is enough to run Cydia Impactor (also available for Windows) but I'can't try because i haven't Windows on my PC
Hi, I just tried with my windows OS. It couldn't reconize my fonepad note 6. I tried the official intel cpu android usb drivers but no go. there is no official usb drivers in Asus website. I guess there is still no ways for windows users to root it. :(

Feb 24, 2007
Hi, I just tried with my windows OS. It couldn't reconize my fonepad note 6. I tried the official intel cpu android usb drivers but no go. there is no official usb drivers in Asus website. I guess there is still no ways for windows users to root it. :(
What program did you try to root the Note 6 with?
I am asking because I trieg with Kingo root and my windows PC recognized the note 6.
Just the root failed because of Kingo root.

mac_o

Feb 20, 2013
Thank you very much alessiof89 . I can confirm that this method works !!!! I am running Windows 7 64 bit machine and it's pretty easy just with a simple few clicks.
First of all i haven't downloaded any special driver for the Fonepad Note 6 on windows. I just connected the device for the first time to the computer and windows does the rest by installing some drivers from its archives. Then I turned on "USB debugging" in developers section on the phone and windows again starts downloading and installing some drivers for the device. On windows' device manager now you should see"SAMSUNG Android Phone" open that and it shows "ASUS Android Composite ADB Interface" (weird). I don't now why the first entry called "Samsung.." and the opened one called "ASUS.." but --anyway--- the "ASUS Android Composite ADB Interface" is the important driver without this ADB won't work and the device will not be recognized on ADB and rooting procedure will not happen.

After that go to Settings>Security and tick the box "Unknown Sources". As of security reasons after the rooting process untick this box and leave it as before.

Download the programm Cydia Impactor for windows (only one version to download for) alessiof89 posted in his link. It's a zip file. unzip it anywhere on your PC and open the unzipped folder. Run the file "Impactor.exe" by rightclicking it and choose "Run as administrator". There is no installation . A small window appears within a dropdown menu. Choose the first entry called "# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su" and hit the "start" button. After a very short time (It feels less then a second) the rooting process is done.

On the phone there is no change in visuals there is no special app like "SuperSU" in the app drawer. It looks like before without root !

Now dowload the app "root checker" an play store to verify your root status. If the thing is round you should see a congrats message like on the screenshot alessiof89 postet in his link.

That's all.

Now i will check my normally installed apps wich needs root acces like on my other devices. But the first thing i want to do is to install the app "SuperSu" from play store and let's see if it can take control over the rooting admins.

and again many thanks to alessiof89 for this next step to our device.

Edit: I can confirm SuperSU from Chainfire works !! Now asking to grant su per app it needs.

Edit 2: After moments of thinking about the weird Samsung device thing i remember of the Asus Transformer TF300T i got at the beginning of the year and installed ADB driver for it from the official homepage of Asus also for my Samsung Galaxy Fit device. The idea is to install usb driver from another Asus product even if you don't have one ?

G mac_o

Last edited:

iamhcg

Mar 26, 2011
THANK YOU, alessiof89!!!

I've got it done, too. I simply install Ubuntu in my computer and have it rooted. It was quite easy after having had the Android SDK environment setup.
My computer instantly recognized the device, and Cydia impactor worked like a charm.

Now I have a rooted Fonepad note 6 as well. ^^

Still, it is quite a lot of work for ubuntu newbies like me. It'll be really great if someone can make a windows version of rooting process to help others to come.

Anyway, I got it done. Thanks! ^^

iamhcg

Mar 26, 2011
What program did you try to root the Note 6 with?
I am asking because I trieg with Kingo root and my windows PC recognized the note 6.
Just the root failed because of Kingo root.
Hi, I don't know. I seriously don't know. The Device Manager only read my fonepad note as a "android device" with a yellow sign .
It refused to update to any drivers I installed. Quite depressing.

Eventually, I got it done in an UBUNTU OS.

iamhcg

Mar 26, 2011
Thank you very much alessiof89 . I can confirm that this method works !!!! I am running Windows 7 64 bit machine and it's pretty easy just with a simple few clicks. ....

Gosh! You make it sound so easy. My windows 7 just simply refused to cooperate, and I have no idea why. Sigh.
Anyway, we all get it done one way or the other. It's a good thing.

Feb 24, 2007
It works out just fine (I am using Windows 7 64bit).
I didn't install any special USB driver.
I just connected the Note 6 and let windows do the rest or maybe it was because I had an older ASUS USB driver installed? (I had a Padfone 2 and a Fonepad 7 before - so if you have trouble with the USB driver you might wanna try the Padfone usb driver?!)
After that I just downloaded CydiaImpactor and started it (enabling USB Debugging on the Note 6 first of course).
Device is rotted and everythings works out!

Thanks for the tip/hint with CydiaImpactor!!! :laugh:

iamhcg

Mar 26, 2011
It works out just fine (I am using Windows 7 64bit).
I didn't install any special USB driver.
I just connected the Note 6 and let windows do the rest or maybe it was because I had an older ASUS USB driver installed? (I had a Padfone 2 and a Fonepad 7 before - so if you have trouble with the USB driver you might wanna try the Padfone usb driver?!)
After that I just downloaded CydiaImpactor and started it (enabling USB Debugging on the Note 6 first of course).
Device is rotted and everythings works out!

Thanks for the tip/hint with CydiaImpactor!!! :laugh:
OK, this is so weird. But after I ghosted back my windows system. I decided to give it try again (Although I've had root).
Anyway, once I plugged in, my windows recognized my Fonepad note 6. I have "ASUS Android Composite ADB Interface" in my device manager.

So this is another confirmation. Simply plug it in. I don't know why I went all the trouble for Ubuntu. :~~

Last edited: