[Q] Rooted KFHD Running Go Launcher Ex - NOOB question

Search This thread

ChrisRandall

Feb 8, 2013
Hello all,

I have been using the site for reference for the last few days whilst i have been slowly getting to grips with my Rooted Fire HD and have to say that it seems like a great little community and some extremely helpfull members.

Just a quick question regarding changing the stock wallpaper on the Go Launcher theme?

I have downladed a couple of different Wallpaper Apps from the play store. They open and allow me to browse the images, when i chose one and click on the set as wallpaper button i get a notification telling me the app has stopped working?

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong or suggestins of how I can get this to work.

Thanks

Chris

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Rooted KFHD Running Go Launcher Ex - NOOB question

Hello all,

I have been using the site for reference for the last few days whilst i have been slowly getting to grips with my Rooted Fire HD and have to say that it seems like a great little community and some extremely helpfull members.

Just a quick question regarding changing the stock wallpaper on the Go Launcher theme?

I have downladed a couple of different Wallpaper Apps from the play store. They open and allow me to browse the images, when i chose one and click on the set as wallpaper button i get a notification telling me the app has stopped working?

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong or suggestins of how I can get this to work.

Thanks

Chris

ChrisRandall,

These services used below were designed to be used with Go Launcher.

Step 1: Download Live Wallpaper Picker(Dropbox) or Live Wallpaper Picker(Ubuntu One) save LiveWallpapersPicker.apk to your desktop

Step 2: Download AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3(Dropbox) or AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3(Ubuntu One) save AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3.apk to your desktop

Step 3: Using Windows Explorer, move AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3.apk and LiveWallpapersPicker.apk from your desktop to Kindle/Internal Storage/Download

Step 4: Using ES File Explorer, launch ES File Explorer. Open the ES File Explorer Settings, Choose Root Settings. Make sure you check all the options in Root Settings. Be sure to Allow the Superuser request to ES File Explorer.

Step 5: Using ES File Explorer with Superuser permissions. Move AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3.apk and LiveWallpapersPicker.apk from /sdcard/Download to /system/app

Step 6: Next long press on /system/app/LiveWallpapersPicker.apk select Permissions. Change the permissions to User: Read Write Group: Read Others: Read

Step 7: Next long press on /system/app/AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3.apk select Permissions. Change the permissions to User: Read Write Group: Read Others: Read

If you decide to use a different Wallpaper Picker, you need to use ES File Explorer or Root Explorer to Move the new Picker from /data/app to /system/app then change the Permissions to: User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read

So let's say you decide to download and install Wallbase HD Wallpapers, you would use Google Play Store to install the App and then:

HD Wallpapers Step 1: Download and Install the app, in this example we will use Wallbase HD Wallpapers. Pay close attention to the Wallbase HD Wallpapers logo and developer name, we will use this logo to find the Wallbase HD Wallpapers application in /data/app. We know the logo is a Gray box with a W in the middle and the developers name is Tim Clark

HD Wallpapers Step 2: After the install has completed, then use ES File Explorer or Root Explorer to navigate to /data/app, then slowly scroll down looking for the Gray Icon with the W in the middle. You will find it about 1/2 the way down and named com.citc.wallbase-1.apk

HD Wallpapers Step 3: Next long press on com.citc.wallbase-1.apk and select Move

HD Wallpapers Step 4: Move com.citc.wallbase-1.apk from /data/app to the /system/app folder

HD Wallpapers Step 5: Change the permissions of com.citc.wallbase-1.apk to match User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read

HD Wallpapers Step 6: Reboot the Kindle

The Wallbase HD Wallpapers will now work with Go Launcher since it is a System App.

Last edited:
Reactions: a86d

ChrisRandall

Feb 8, 2013
Thank you for your quick and in depth reply.

I will give this ago later and let you know how I get on!!

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

Thank you for your quick and in depth reply.

I will give this ago later and let you know how I get on!!

ChrisRandall,

Be sure you install the AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3.apk and LiveWallpapersPicker.apk in /system/app regardless of the other apps. These are Dependant services and are required to allow Go Launcher to work with Live Wallpaper and Widgets.

We will watch your thread for questions just in case you get stuck.

ChrisRandall

Feb 8, 2013
Thank you again, followed the steps this morning and I now have a few different wallpaper apps running perfectly!

a86d

Jul 4, 2013
Can't see background

Hello,
Thank you for the great instructional guide. I am however encountering an issue that I am unable to solve at this time. I have rooted my kindle fire HD 7.4.3 and installed the google play store (dependencies), and go laucnher / livewallpaperapk. My live wallpaper has been moved into the systems folder and granted the correct permissions as well.
Go launcher is able to see the wallpaper / allows me to set it, but the background remains black. I have thus far been unable to determine why the background remains black. I have followed the guides to the letter. Please let me know if you have any input regarding this issue.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Hello,
Thank you for the great instructional guide. I am however encountering an issue that I am unable to solve at this time. I have rooted my kindle fire HD 7.4.3 and installed the google play store (dependencies), and go laucnher / livewallpaperapk. My live wallpaper has been moved into the systems folder and granted the correct permissions as well.
Go launcher is able to see the wallpaper / allows me to set it, but the background remains black. I have thus far been unable to determine why the background remains black. I have followed the guides to the letter. Please let me know if you have any input regarding this issue.

Amazon disabled the ability for us to set wallpaper because the stock launcher doesn't use it and it was wasting ram. Goto this thread on page 8 and try my fix, it works on all kindles affected. I am trying to make my script safer but occasionally there are a few bricks related to low disk space, if that happens you will need a fast boot cable to restore the system partition, or if u already have twrp Installed u can just restore the backup my script makes.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2295750

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Reactions: a86d

a86d

Jul 4, 2013
Amazon disabled the ability for us to set wallpaper because the stock launcher doesn't use it and it was wasting ram. Goto this thread on page 8 and try my fix, it works on all kindles affected. I am trying to make my script safer but occasionally there are a few bricks related to low disk space, if that happens you will need a fast boot cable to restore the system partition, or if u already have twrp Installed u can just restore the backup my script makes.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Piece of cake, it works now :D
Thank you!

ramit19

Aug 23, 2013
go launcher

hi
i have rooted the kindle fire hd , google market is up and running , i downloaded go launcher from the market but it doesnt show in teh apps , also when i search for the same again in google market it just gives option to uninstall and not open. same thing with nova launcher, any help please

ChrisRandall,

Step 1: Download Live Wallpaper Picker(Dropbox) or Live Wallpaper Picker(Ubuntu One) save LiveWallpapersPicker.apk to your desktop

Step 2: Download AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3(Dropbox) or AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3(Ubuntu One) save AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3.apk to your desktop

Step 3: Using Windows Explorer, move AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3.apk and LiveWallpapersPicker.apk from your desktop to Kindle/Internal Storage/Download

Step 4: Using ES File Explorer, launch ES File Explorer. Open the ES File Explorer Settings, Choose Root Settings. Make sure you check all the options in Root Settings. Be sure to Allow the Superuser request to ES File Explorer.

Step 5: Using ES File Explorer with Superuser permissions. Move AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3.apk and LiveWallpapersPicker.apk from /sdcard/Download to /system/app

Step 6: Next long press on /system/app/LiveWallpapersPicker.apk select Permissions. Change the permissions to User: Read Write Group: Read Others: Read

Step 7: Next long press on /system/app/AppWidgetPicker-1.2.3.apk select Permissions. Change the permissions to User: Read Write Group: Read Others: Read

If you decide to use a different Wallpaper Picker, you need to use ES File Explorer or Root Explorer to Move the new Picker from /data/app to /system/app then change the Permissions to: User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read

So let's say you decide to download and install Wallbase HD Wallpapers, you would use Google Play Store to install the App and then:

HD Wallpapers Step 1: Download and Install the app, in this example we will use Wallbase HD Wallpapers. Pay close attention to the Wallbase HD Wallpapers logo and developer name, we will use this logo to find the Wallbase HD Wallpapers application in /data/app. We know the logo is a Gray box with a W in the middle and the developers name is Tim Clark

HD Wallpapers Step 2: After the install has completed, then use ES File Explorer or Root Explorer to navigate to /data/app, then slowly scroll down looking for the Gray Icon with the W in the middle. You will find it about 1/2 the way down and named com.citc.wallbase-1.apk

HD Wallpapers Step 3: Next long press on com.citc.wallbase-1.apk and select Move

HD Wallpapers Step 4: Move com.citc.wallbase-1.apk from /data/app to the /system/app folder

HD Wallpapers Step 5: Change the permissions of com.citc.wallbase-1.apk to match User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read

The Wallbase HD Wallpapers will now work with Go Launcher since it is a System App.

Nowthenn

Jan 15, 2013
Hi I installed Nova launcher on my rooted kfhd7 running 7.4.6. I ran the script to allow install of wallpapers. I did exactly what it says with the live wallpaper picker and apppicker. It allowed me chose a live wallpaper once and it is still installed but when i try to go into either the app picker or live wallpaper picker it tells me the app has stopped and i cant go into it. Any ideas? Hope somebody can help me.
I am using nova because i couldnt get go launcher or go launcher ex runnnng properly on my kfhd7

dam0fitz

Sep 20, 2013
Hi, my rooted Kindle recently un-rooted after I did a factory reset to fix an issue with the sound. I have re-rooted using both KFFA and B4 Binary methods but now don't seem able to use Es Explorer to move Go Ex into my system/app folder. I have downloaded from both play store and on-line into my downloads folder but when I attempt to move, I get permission denied. I can't change permissions in the download folder and Es is set up in root mode, SU is allowing access and the SD is mounted. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello all,

Thanks

Chris

ChrisRandall,

Hello,