• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] Rooting Gtab2: cannot not find cwm-root-gtab2a.zip

Search This thread

dagoeb

Dec 30, 2010
Aachen
[Q] When rooting my Gtab2 P5110 European model according to "[How To] Root - Galaxy Tab 2 10.1", (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1657056) the file cwm-root-gtab2a.zip cannot be found;
I followed the steps as explained.

Used ODIN to flash recovery.tar.md5
I had copied the file cwm-root-gtab2a.zip to the internal SD card.
Rebooted into recovery
selected the option "install zip from sdcard."

Then I cannot see the file cwm-root-gtab2a.zip.
Actually An error is displayed: Cannot mount SD card

also the approach to mount /SDcard in recovery shows the error

why can /SDcard not be mounted?

dagoeb

Dec 30, 2010
Aachen
[A] use external /SDcard to find cwm-root-gtab2a.zip

Figured out a workaround.
Instead of storing cwm-root-gtab2a.zip on /mnt/sdcard
I copied the file to /mnt/extSdCard and ran the process again.
(you need an external SDCard in the Tab2 microSD slot)

Now I could install cwm-root-gtab2a.zip.

G

GuestK007

Figured out a workaround.
Instead of storing cwm-root-gtab2a.zip on /mnt/sdcard
I copied the file to /mnt/extSdCard and ran the process again.
(you need an external SDCard in the Tab2 microSD slot)

Now I could install cwm-root-gtab2a.zip.

the instructions specifically said you must use the sdcard, not the internal memory. your sd card is extSdCard. So not to be rude but you made a thread that just says what the how-to guide tells people what they should do.

Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip (or cwm-root-gtab2a.zip) to the ROOT of your sdcard ( /mnt/extSdCard ). This is the sdcard in the slot. The /mnt/sdcard folder is in the internal memory and won't be recognized in recovery. -Weltwon

PanchoPlanet

Oct 15, 2011
Crooklyn
Why would you need an external card, when you download it goes to internal SD. As in root/sd card/download. When you look in root/ext sd card you don't see the file.
Pp.

Sent from my GT P-5113 using xda HD that does not force close everytime I hit submit.

dagoeb

Dec 30, 2010
Aachen
To Darunion
you are fully right, if I would have read the instructions more carefully I would have used an external SD card. As I did not have one I ran into the problems that CWM did not find the cwm-root-gtab2a.zip.
Thanks for reflection.

to PanchoPlanet
the external SD card /mnt/extSdCard is needed as else CWM recovery will not find the file. this is what happened to me when I tried to root my european P5110 and why I issued this thread. It is clearly described in the instructions as Darunion states.

gingei

Oct 27, 2012
Doesn't work for me

To Darunion
you are fully right, if I would have read the instructions more carefully I would have used an external SD card. As I did not have one I ran into the problems that CWM did not find the cwm-root-gtab2a.zip.
Thanks for reflection.

to PanchoPlanet
the external SD card /mnt/extSdCard is needed as else CWM recovery will not find the file. this is what happened to me when I tried to root my european P5110 and why I issued this thread. It is clearly described in the instructions as Darunion states.

Sorry guys to bring this back up but my tab 2 won't even see it on the external sd card..........

Gui