Help a brother out!!

OK OK hold up, I have a few questions
WHICH ROM is the BEST to install on our phones,
Which firmware for over clocking?
And how the heck do we do this I have read all 212 pages
and I know we use ODIN but which rom and which one does what
spec wise??? It seems this thread is now just going all over the place

Best Rom (with updates and changes)
Best Firmware (Mainly used for overclocking I am hoping)
and ya thats all I can think of I spend 3 days reading and still nothing
telling me which one to use and what does what?

Thanks Team

adinkwok

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
May 28, 2013
Seattle
adin.dev

Thanks Team

I think you mean kernel as firmware... But best firmware and kernel links are in SeannyM's Sig

Sent from my GT-S7560m using xda app-developers app

daver18qc

Feb 15, 2013
Thanks I have done all that rooted with his root kit everything is working thus far
Excuse for my plain stupidity what now then?

If you're connecting through your phone with Tapatalk, please activate the signature view as all the usefull info is posted on EVERY page each time i post or SeannyM posts or even when Codename13 posts.

Pretty much all that you need to know is in my signature at the moment!

Codename13

Jun 22, 2012
@SeannyM: I must be getting annoying with this but, when i add SuperUser, i want to add the one from CWM developer (same as in my root kit) but in the kitchen it's only ChainFire vs ChainDD's SuperSU.
I dont trust them as i prefer an open source developer that has nothing to hide, so do you think it will work if i manually copy "SuperUser.apk" inside /WORKING_FOLDER/System/App/ and then the "SU" binary inside /WORKING_FOLDER/System/bin/ and then build the rom as normal ?
Or do i need to modify some other files ?

It's probably the last thing i'll ask, as the other options are quite self-explanatory and i'm not that dumb either, lol :)

Just add the superuser app (.apk) under /system/app/ (or sideload the app) and change the permissions to 0644 (rw-r-r). Then add the su binary under /system/bin/ and change the permissions to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x).

daver18qc

Feb 15, 2013
Just add the superuser app (.apk) under /system/app/ (or sideload the app) and change the permissions to 0644 (rw-r-r). Then add the su binary under /system/bin/ and change the permissions to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x).

oh crap, i already finished the rom and am now 67% done on uploading it but i didnt change permissions!
what if i used the "fix permissions" menu from CWM after flashing, would it fix it ?
Now that i think of this, does the kitchen really package the rom with the permissions from the linux filesystem it was built on ??

EDIT: Aaaah guess i'll re-do it, wont take the chance to brick someone's phone...

EDIT: Noticed while changing permissions that all the files inside my kitchen's working folder in /system/app/ are RW-RW-R, should i change them all ?? Did i miss something ?

Last edited:

Codename13

Jun 22, 2012
oh crap, i already finished the rom and am now 67% done on uploading it but i didnt change permissions!
what if i used the "fix permissions" menu from CWM after flashing, would it fix it ?
Now that i think of this, does the kitchen really package the rom with the permissions from the linux filesystem it was built on ??

EDIT: Aaaah guess i'll re-do it, wont take the chance to brick someone's phone...

EDIT: Noticed while changing permissions that all the files inside my kitchen's working folder in /system/app/ are RW-RW-R, should i change them all ?? Did i miss something ?
You can't brick your phone by setting the wrong permissions on an app. Yes you could get into a soft brick (bootloop that is fixable) but that's only if you set the wrong permissions on certain files (it seems that setting permissions on some .apks doesn't make a difference). Anyways, I can modify the updater-script of the ROM if you wish for it to set the right permissions. I'm pretty sure that 'fix permissions' in CWM only fixes the permissions of the apps under /system/framework/ and /system/app/ which are really the least of worries in a ROM. The permissions for the files under /system/app/ and /system/framework/ should be 0644 (rw-r-r)

Last edited:

daver18qc

Feb 15, 2013
You can't brick your phone by setting the wrong permissions on an app. Yes you could get into a soft brick (bootloop that is fixable) but that's only if you set the wrong permissions on certain files (it seems that setting permissions on some .apks doesn't make a difference). Anyways, I can modify the updater-script of the ROM if you wish for it to set the right permissions. I'm pretty sure that 'fix permissions' in CWM only fixes the permissions of the apps under /system/framework/ and /system/app/ which are really the least of worries in a ROM.

ok thanks, but i'm re-doing the rom compilation right now with correct permission set on both files. Better make something right the first time instead of patching it.. :)

the modded guatemala will be posted in my signature tonight for all to try!
the list of changes:

Guatemala MG2 Base ROM
Deodexed
Disabled Boot Sounds
Rooted
BusyBox added
init.d Support added
ZipAligned

EDIT: There we go, download link in my sig! Feedback very welcome!!

Last edited:

bfksc

Dec 13, 2010
EDIT2: Got it ! The only thing you have to do is:
-Open 7x27a_kp.kl
-Goto the line "key 102 HOME WAKE"
-Edit the line to "key 102 HOME"
-Save & Reboot

Voilà, your HOME key now cannot wake the screen but can still exit from apps and do other things!
Thanks alot to the user that thought of this first!!
Confirmed...did this and it works. No more waking by the Home button. Yay!

adinkwok

May 28, 2013
Seattle
adin.dev
ok thanks, but i'm re-doing the rom compilation right now with correct permission set on both files. Better make something right the first time instead of patching it.. :)

the modded guatemala will be posted in my signature tonight for all to try!
the list of changes:

Guatemala MG2 Base ROM
Deodexed
Disabled Boot Sounds
Rooted
BusyBox added
init.d Support added
ZipAligned

EDIT: There we go, download link in my sig! Feedback very welcome!!

What overclock is your kernel? Cause if it's too high, then i might not be able to flash it with init.d. I know there are a few ways to add init.d: through the kernel, or through the system files... I don't know which one the kitchen uses so can you tell me? Because init.d is very important to me :D

daver18qc

Feb 15, 2013
What overclock is your kernel? Cause if it's too high, then i might not be able to flash it with init.d. I know there are a few ways to add init.d: through the kernel, or through the system files... I don't know which one the kitchen uses so can you tell me? Because init.d is very important to me :D

it's the stock kernel from guatemala firmware.
the kitchen adds init.d by way of busybox i think.

EDIT: be prepared to restore a cwm backup if you flash it, in case i f*cked up XD

Last edited:
Reactions: adinkwok

gnome9er

Oct 16, 2010
langley
twitter.com
Google Pixel 3

Thanks Team

I think kyle's open is the only room I could find worth mentioning.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

daver18qc

Feb 15, 2013
Ok guys dont download my modded firmware yet i tried it myself and got Error : Status 0 so i'll check that out and re-release someday!.

EDIT: Ok i think i've traced the source of the problem, i dont have a partition definition file in my kitchen/tools/edify_defs/ folder !
Anyone care to share theirs with me ?

Last edited:

adinkwok

May 28, 2013
Seattle
adin.dev
Ok guys dont download my modded firmware yet i tried it myself and got Error : Status 0 so i'll check that out and re-release someday!.

EDIT: Ok i think i've traced the source of the problem, i dont have a partition definition file in my kitchen/tools/edify_defs/ folder !
Anyone care to share theirs with me ?

reinstall?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, so I won't be able to provide you guys with a build of OmniROM 5.0 before the end of the year. I would love to just release the alpha build out into the wild, but literally nothing is working (no audio, no WiFi, some force closes) so I would rather wait until I fix up a few of the issues. Fortunately, I do have a bit of a treat for you. I have a near-perfect build of OmniROM 4.4.4 for you. By near-perfect, I mean that everything is working except for Bluetooth, full camera resolution, and rendering images in native Chromium webview. Everything else should be working. I don't think that there are any other significant changes in this build compared to the previous one I uploaded back in October. If I have time to work on OmniROM 4.4.4 in the coming new year though, I will try to get things working nicely with ION. For now, you can download the new build of OmniROM 4.4.4 here. Happy holidays and have a great new year! Long live the Ace II X!
    How to root the GT-S7560 Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 X

Okay so I rooted the GT-S7560 or the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 X using the Duos method mentioned in this thread. This phone is showing up everywhere in Canada right now through the usual channels and I wanted to clarify the process a bit for others who stumble upon this thread. I have attached a zip file containing the files I used and a word doc with instructions. It's the same as the Galaxy Duos except for entering recovery I could not figure out the button configuration to do it so I used ADB and sent the reboot recovery command. I later learned the vol button is a rocker and to press the center of the vol button the power and home all at the same time to enter recovery.

I seek no credit, just trying to make it easier for the next.

I have tested root on a couple of apps and everything seems to working great with no issues.
    BA2X 2.0 release 2!

There comes a time, when people still on stock, are left out on the awesomeness of a slightly newer kernel version. Luckily, BA2X 2.0 has come to the rescue - it's been patched up to Linux kernel version 3.0.31, so it's consistent with CM. I've decided to make the default max frequency set as 1152 MHz, just because I don't feel like making custom frequencies for many different people. I think the most common wall that people hit with CPU frequencies is 1200 MHz, so I've lowered it just a smidge before that. If anyone faces any problems, let me know. I'll be uploading the updated sources to Github shortly, so you can indulge in them if you're that type of person. Besides a newer kernel version, there are a few other little changes to bring it more in line with the CM10.2 version of BA2X 2.0. Most notably, the GPU has been given the overclock treatment - there are 3 GPU frequencies for the system to throttle through - 100 MHz, 200 MHz, and 300 MHz. Battery life shouldn't be too bad, in fact it should/might be a bit better. You can download BA2X 2.0_r2 here. And if you don't like it, you can uninstall it using this flashable zip. The uninstall package installs the stock kernel and modules from the latest Canadian 'NA5 firmware so if you are having any issues even after installing the uninstall package, take the appropriate boot.img and /system/lib/modules folder from a ROM that works fine for you.

I don't know why, but I seem to only get AnTuTu benchmark scores of around 4700. It might be because I lowered the minimum GPU clock speed to 100 MHz. Or it might just be that I have too many resource-hogging apps installed :p Just for safe-keeping, you can download the previous release of BA2X 2.0 here. Can someone post their AnTuTu scores on BA2X 2.0_r2?

The next release of BA2X 2.0 will probably include something drastic new change, in a good way, because I cannot think of any other little modifications to do to the kernel source, so I'll have to try some bigger things. I don't want to be a downer if I can't deliver but personally, I wouldn't mind BLN, user-definable GPU clocking, f2fs support, and another kernel version upgrade would be nice too. I'll try my best when the time comes, and I'll see what I can whip up to make an Even Better Ace 2 X kernel... :D

EDIT - The above download link is for BA2X 2.0_r2 with a maximum clock of 1152 MHz. Other frequencies can be downloaded below:
    1114 MHz
    1209 MHz
    1267 MHz
    1305 MHz
    BA2X 2.0_r1

The time has come... for the successor of SeannyM's BA2X kernels! BA2X 2.0 is based off of SeannyM's BA2X source, which is in turn based off of stock source, so BA2X 2.0 is like the grandchild of Grandpa Sammy. Don't know why, but I feel the need to keep that last sentence. Anyways, included in BA2X 2.0 is the following:
    • More CPU governors and schedulers
      - Added SavagedZen, InteractiveX, lulzactive governors
      - Added deadline scheduler (it was actually disabled in the kernel source, so I enabled it)
    • Disabled Loadable Kernel Module Authentication (lkmauth)
    • Frandom entropy generator module enabled on boot (in init.rc)
    • Vsync enabled (in init.rc)
    • USB Mass Storage enabled
    • Built with Sabermod 4.7.4 GCC toolchain = super smooth w. optimization
    You can download it here. I've only made a version clocked at 1.21 GHz for now because I think that's before the "wall" that most people hit. You may request an alternate frequency, but I may only make it for you when I have time (I won't go out of my way unless you're requesting a lower frequency because your device won't boot with this frequency). Happy holidays! BTW, Mod Pack II X v0.6.2 is out now too! I suppose I'm going to take up BA2X as a new project for this device alongside Mod Pack II X. I've got plenty more to do for both, and I think I might try building some ROMs in the new year...

NOTE: THE DOWNLOAD LINK ABOVE IS FOR STOCK ROM. IF YOU WISH TO USE BA2X 2.0 FOR CYANOGENMOD (10.2/11 and maybe 10.1), DOWNLOAD THIS PACKAGE AND INSTALL IT VIA CWM.

EDIT - I will put up a link for BA2X 2.0 for CM as soon as I get to making a working one, which requires that I find a suitable toolchain version. I'm a human being, so don't expect me to feel like pumping out stuff all the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INSTALL TITANIUM BACKUP FREE AND DO A COMPLETE BACKUP BEFORE TOUCHING ANYTHING
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOME OF THESE ARE THE CALENDAR APP AND CLOCKS, IF YOU USE THEM DON'T REMOVE THEM
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USE YOUR JUDGEMENT !!!

==============================================
    -----------------DO NOT REMOVE THESE APPS------------------
    ==============================================

-Downloads (App installs and downloads and updates wont work if you delete this one)
    -Dialer (You won't be able to make phone calls or use contacts !! Essentially turns your phone into a media player/GPS)
    -Gallery (It's the ONLY way to set your lock screen wallpaper)

Apps that are safe to delete

100% HD Games
    AllShare Service
    AvcrpServiceSamsung
    Bubbles
    All Clocks (If you want time on your lock screen, keep one...)
    Deep Sea
    DSMLawmo
    DSMForwarding (These 2 DSM* are very memory hungry, makes a good difference!)
    Entreprise SysScope
    Entreprise VPN
    Exchange Services
    Flipboard
    Game Hub
    Google+
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Movies
    Internet 4.0.4 (Stock Browser, install Firefox/Chrome/Dolphin/Opera/etc... before)
    Live Wallpaper Picture Chooser
    Maps
    MapsServiceSamsung
    Market Feedback Agent
    Music Player
    Phase Beam
    S Planner
    S Planner Widget
    Samsung Apps
    Samsung Account
    Samsung Backup
    Samsung ChatOn
    Samsung Push
    Samsung TTS
    Samsung Backup Provider
    Samsung Browser SyncAdapter
    Samsung Calendar SyncAdapter
    Samsung Cloud Data Relay
    Samsung Contact SyncAdapter
    Samsung SyncAdapters
    Samsung AppsUNA2
    SNS 1.04
    Software Update (BEWARE, THERE IS 2 SOFTWARE UPDATE! Remove "com.sec.android.fotaclient" for "Over the Air Updates", keep "com.wssyncmldm" for Apps AutoUpdate !)
    Sympatico.ca
    TalkBack
    Touchwiz Home (Install another launcher BEFORE DELETING THIS!!![ADW/Nova/Smart/Apex/etc..])
    Trim (Used to cut mp3's into ringtones or pictures into wallpaper, not sure)
    Tunes & Apps
    Try Pan
    Video Player
    Weather
    Weather Deamon
    Weather Main
    Windy Weather
    Yahoo! Finance

Apps Frozen:
    SysScope (frozen by TriangleAway, You can delete it as well but be noted that it might affect your phone status in the Settings>About Phone)