• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Samsung Galaxy XCover 2 GT S 7710

Search This thread

TheBoegl

Jun 30, 2009
Thank you for the information, I used mini tool partition.
I faithfully followed the instructions, but when I insert sd in this phone is not recognized. I will continue to follow this forum, hoping that some developer will solve the problem of moving apps to sd, with a simple method, because they are not very practical and I would not kill my phone.
Thank you and keep it up, you are all very good.
You shrunk your first partition so you have free space after this one. Then you created a primary ext3 partition with this free space and committed your changes to the file system?

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

The first part went well, Odin said PASS, but then I couldn`t manage to
get the phone in Odin mode again.
So flashing the system.tar.md5 failed.
If you followed my updated root guide you would only have to flash once and let it reboot afterwards.
Do you have root priviledges now? You can check with "Root Checker Basic", running the SuperSu, ... or just type "su" in to the terminal/adb shell...

Last edited:

TheBoegl

Jun 30, 2009
installation problem

If you are suffering "insufficient memory" installtion problems, you can try to set the install location to auto.
Type this into the terminal/adb shell:
Code:
su
pm set-install-location 0

Sibirc

Sep 30, 2010
You shrunk your first partition so you have free space after this one. Then you created a primary ext3 partition with this free space and committed your changes to the file system?

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Hello. I did as you posted above. I partitioned 8GB sdcard to 5gigs on fat32 ant 3gigs on ext3. My phone only recognize 5GB FAT32 partition. How do I mount ext3 partition?

The rooting guide is great. Thank's a lot for that.

veimus

Hello. I did as you posted above. I partitioned 8GB sdcard to 5gigs on fat32 ant 3gigs on ext3. My phone only recognize 5GB FAT32 partition. How do I mount ext3 partition?

The rooting guide is great. Thank's a lot for that.

I have a Link2SD program on the phone and when i boot up phone with 2partition on sd, and enter to Link2SD, program ask me what file system i want on my second partition on SD, i chose ext4 and then i got message that program make a script for automatic mount ext4 partition on phone bootup :)

My second partition is mounted as /data/sdext2 but in every app i got message "unsupported device due internal memory emulation :/

Last edited:

Sibirc

Sep 30, 2010
Hi! OK, now it works. Trouble is, navigon saves data to internal sdcard0, which can't be moved :/. Also all big games saves data to sdcard0. Guess the ultimate solution is swapping sdcard0 with extsdcard. Any idea how to do this? Has anyone succeeded?

A

arlenwasp

Can this phone use this root?

Hi! first i wanna thank the people who dedicate their time to help people with this kind of stuff.

I just got my Xcover 2, and i want to root it... i want to be sure this will turn out successful so can i root this phone with your lovely files?:

my phone:
model number: GT-S7710
Baseband version: S7710XXAMB5
Build number: JZO54K.S7710XXAMB5
Android version: 4.1.2
Kernel version: 3.0.31 -963581
[email protected]#2
SMP PREEMPT
KST 2013
Thank you so much :cyclops:

TheBoegl

Jun 30, 2009
is there any way to force installation patch to /data/sdext2 ??

I haven't found a way, though Link2SD has an option to install every new app to this partition.

i want to be sure this will turn out successful so can i root this phone with your lovely files?:

yes.

My second partition is mounted as /data/sdext2 but in every app i got message "unsupported device due internal memory emulation :/
What are you trying to archive and what have you done ;)

veimus

I haven't found a way, though Link2SD has an option to install every new app to this partition.

after update Link2SD it's not possible :(
Q. I have installed Link2SD on my Samsung Galaxy S3. When I try to move any app to SD Card I get a warning saying my device does not support app2sd. What does it mean?
Currently, Android only supports the primary external storage for native App2SD function.
If the primary external storage is emulated from the internal phone storage (like in S3, Note 1&2 etc.) or does not exists at all, moving app to SD function will not be supported by Android system. It's the limitation of device (rom & hardware).
You can link the app in order to move its files to your SD card.
Source: http://www.link2sd.info/faq

Reactions: schluden

b33r

Sep 4, 2008
TheBoegl i have file S7710XXAMB5_S7710OXXAMB2_HOME.tar.md5 (this is Czech firmware)
I want rood my device. Can i use your file system.tar.md5 ?? Or your system.tar.md5 is only for your firmware S7710XXAMB6_S7710OXEAMB3_HOME.tar.md5 ???

Thanks i am Noob

chrmarx

Apr 7, 2013
how to attach the belt?

this is kind of off topic, but can anyone explain to me how to fix the belt to the hole in the upper left corner?

like in this picture?

GT-S7710TAADBT-62-0.jpg

Benz-Driver

Nov 20, 2009
Original 4x2 Samsung alarm clock widget needed!

Please can anybody who has rooted hier Xcover 2 provide the apk of the original Samsung 4x2 alarm clock widget? It should be found in the system files, i think.

I'd like to change the background from white color to transparent, to make it look more nice and decent. But I need the apk. Therefore any help would be great!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROOT GUIDE
    Download:

Changelog:
    • 26.10.2014 [ODEXED]
      • updated previous build to changelist version 1528886
    • 13.07.2013 [DEODEXED] [TEST]
      • sec_csc.zip does does not produce the errors in cwm anymore.
        (no need to reflash if you are currently on 12.07!)
    • 12.07.2013 [DEODEXED] [TEST]
    • 28.06.2013: clear your dalvik-cache before flashing (if possible)

Code:
      rm -r /data/dalvik-cache/
      or if you have busybox installed:
      Code:
      busybox rm -rf /data/dalvik-cache/
      if you can't, do it in the recovery.
      • bigger system partition
      • csc zip will extract with error -> no nasty apps
      • boot.img:
        • extSdCard is the new primary storage
        • /sdcard and /mnt/sdcard points to the real sdcard
        • the interal one is accessible under /storage/sdcard0
        • download flash as PDA
        • download original and for odin

Extract:
    extract the image archive if it is not already a .tar.md5 file. You will receive *.tar.md5 file(s).

Quick steps:
    1. flash firmware with Odin >= 3.07
    2. enjoy your root rights

Now you can clean your internal/system storage with Link2SD

Step-by-Step instruction:

1. close Samsung Kies (if you haven't installed it yet don't it now)
    2. disconnect usb cable
    3. turn off your phone
    4. start download mode (hold volume down, home and the power button simultaneous)
    5. approve with volume up
    6. the first line on the display should announce ODIN Mode
    7. connect your usb cable
    8. wait till your drivers are installed
    9. start odin (>=3.07) as admin
    10. click on PDA and select the file S7710XXAMB6_S7710OXEAMB3-*.tar.md5
      ODIN_firmware.png
    11. Odin will validate the md5
    12. if your device is connected click start
      ODIN_firmware_connected.png

and wait till your phone reboots
    13. enjoy your root rights
    14. if you get one of these errors booting the first time
      Code:
      E: Error in /cache/recovery/sec_csc.zip
      or
      E:signature verification failed
      just clear your cache/dalvik-cache and reboot another time. This is caused by the different csc language of the prerooted image.
    15. if you are flashing a build >= than 2013-06-28 you can move all your data from /storage/sdcard0 to /storage/extSdCard to have more internal space - restart afterwards
    16. if you can't install apps from the market with the "insufficient memory" error, type the following into your terminal/adb shell:
      Code:
      su
      pm set-install-location 0

Your user data and settings will withstand the flashing procedure. Although you should create backups anyway before a problems exists ;)

I'm not responsible if you brick your phone - using this is your own risk!

Thank you Veimus for hosting the files.

CREATION GUIDE

Before creating an "newer" firmware image yourself check if the changelist is newer than 963581.
    For converting the system.img you need to get ext4_utils and make it.
    The you can extract and mount the image.
    Code:
    cd path/to/image.tar
    tar -xvf image.tar
    cd path/to/ext4_utils
    ./simg2img path/to/system.img /path/to/system.img.ext4
    cd /path/to/system.img.ext4
    mkdir tmpdir
    mount -o loop system.img.ext4 tmpdir
    change what you want...
    if you want to add su binaries follow these steps:
    • download SuperSu from here - thanks to chainfire for SuperSU and his work
    • extract the system folder of the downloaded zip into your tmpdir
    • cd path/to/tmpdir
    • Code:
      chown root:0 system/bin/.ext
      chown root:0 system/bin/.ext/.su
      chown root:0 system/xbin/su
      chown root:0 system/app/Superuser.apk
      chmod 0777 system/bin/.ext
      chmod 06755 system/bin/.ext/.su
      chmod 06755 system/xbin/su
      chmod 0644 system/app/Superuser.apk

Create an new compressed image with ext4_utils:
    Code:
    cd path/to/ext4_utils
    ./mkuserimg.sh -s /path/to/tmpdir ./system.img ext4 ./tmp 980M
    tar -H ustar -c system.img > system.tar
    md5sum -t system.tar >> system.tar
    mv system.tar system.tar.md5
    (optional) 7z a -t7z -m0=lzma -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on system.7z system.tar.md5
    Now you can flash the created system.tar.md5 ;)
    i have gained root access finally ;)

I have integrated the su binary into the S7710XXAMB6_S7710OXEAMB3_SER image.
    I can try to upload the created system.img.md5 but it will take a 964MB while.
    Disabling HOME button from wakeup device !

If someone want disable Home button to prevent phone from wake up (it's happen sometimes in my pocket) i discover solution for that :)

You need:
    - root
    - root explorer

1. Go to /system/usr/keylayout and there is file "gpio-keys.kl" (now its time to mount system as r/w :) ) tap on that file, and select from menu "Open in text editor.

2. Inside is something like this:
    Code:
    key 115   VOLUME_UP         WAKE
    key 114   VOLUME_DOWN       WAKE
    key 172   HOME              WAKE
    key 158   BACK
    key 139   MENU
    key 107   ENDCALL
    key 105   DPAD_LEFT
    key 106   DPAD_RIGHT
    key 103   DPAD_UP
    key 108   DPAD_DOWN
    key 232   DPAD_CENTER
    key 116   POWER             WAKE
    key 212   CAMERA            WAKE
    key 528   FOCUS
    3. You need remove word "WAKE" from this line:
    Code:
    key 172   HOME             [COLOR="#FF0000"]WAKE[/COLOR]
    IMPORTANT: Remove also space between HOME and WAKE word! Just put cursor after WAKE word, and start pressing "backspace" till HOME :)

After that the line must look like that:
    Code:
    key 172   HOME
    4. Press menu key on the phone and select "Save and exit" backup file will be created automaticly by root explorer (*.bak file with this same name as orginal file name)
    5. Reboot phone and you are ready! :D

FROM NOW ONLY POWER BUTTON WILL BE WAKEUP DEVICE :)

* - sorry for my english :eek:
    I Have Problem, help please!

I tryied to install TWRP 2.4.4.0 TAR FILE with odin.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1773659

after that ---->

-Stuck on Samsung screen
    -I can't go to Stock recovery mode (reset factory etc..), only download mode

Tryied to flash offical firmware with odin and Kies.
    Everything looks go ok, but phone doesn't boot.
    Is there any way to wipe cache etc with odin?

Any help? i am like noob :)

Many thanks for the rooting guide!

Samsung Galaxy Xcover 2 (GT-S7710)
    JB 4.1.2
    S7710XXAMB6_S7710OXXAMB2_NEE

Flash this ROM via Odin: http://www.punto-movil.net/S7710/S7710XXAMB6_OXEAMB3.zip its full service ROM form Z3X Box support page, unzip, there is also a .PIT file, so select that file in PIT field in Odin, and checked option Re-Partition in Odin, In PDA select the "CODE_S7710XXAMB6_963581_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5" and hit Start i recommended Odin3 v3.07
    Don't need to flash the second file "CSC_OXE_S7710OXEAMB3_CL999465_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5"

And next time don't flash things that are not for this model! :)