[q] sd card issue

Search This thread

emv1031

Nov 14, 2009
Hi... not sure if this is the correct area to post this, sorry if it isn't. Looking for some insight on some SD CARD issues.... been on Google all day with no luck. Here's my situation:
Recently bought an Asus HD Pad tablet. I read that the max card it'll hold is 32 GB but also read of people that have used 64 without a problem. Since that was something that I was able to do on my tab 2 I went ahead and bought a Kingston 64 GB SDXC. Before formatting to Fat32 I just placed it in and it was recognized just fine, with the full storage amount available and everything. Yesterday I started putting some movies on it but even though the files transfered fine once I went to the tablet they were there but the movies wouldn't run, like if the files were corrupted. From there I assumed I was not gonna dodge the format to Fat32 so I went ahead and did it...I transfered 3 out of 5 movies fine but when trying to add the other two I would gt the error saying that the properties of the file couldn't be transfered. I read up a bit and learned that FAT32 is a bit more limited as far as transferring certain properties from files than NTFS. So I formatted to NTFS. Put all 5 movies and they worked just fine. After this I decided to transfer about 8 gigs of music and some pictures.... they apparently transfered fine but when I go on the tablet and access the music and pictures folders it says NO FILES Are in them. I go to storage info and it does reflect that the 8+ gigs on music and pics are beige used but the file explorer show the folders empty... the movies are still there. If I try to delete the folders from the tablet I get an error that it can't be deleted or permission denied (depending on which file explorer I use). If I connect back to the PC and click the folders I get an error saying the folder is corrupted and can't delete them either. I'm getting the feeling that the SD card was not working flawlessly from the get go but would sure appreciate any input, suggestions, ideas, etc... also wondering if it might be because the SD card size is too big for the tablet.
:confused::confused::confused:
Thank you and sorry about the long post!

emv1031

Nov 14, 2009
This issue you're having is definitely because of the size of the SD card. Most devices are not made to accept such a large one, and I bet you anything that if you get a 32g SD card, it'll work perfectly.

:)

Yeah that's what I thought so.... question.... you think there might be a way to "shrink" those 64 Gb down to 32, so that the tablet thinks it's a 32?? just to test if that takes care of the problem before buying another SD?

thanks

N

NOOK!E

Yeah that's what I thought so.... question.... you think there might be a way to "shrink" those 64 Gb down to 32, so that the tablet thinks it's a 32?? just to test if that takes care of the problem before buying another SD?

thanks

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, there is!

I don't remember exactly how to do it, but I know this much - first, you need to put the empty SD card into your device. Then, boot into ClockworkMod. Navigate to the Advanced submenu. This is where my memory gets a little fuzzy, but I think there is a "Repartition SD card" option or something like that inside that submenu that, when used properly, can be used to completely resize an SD card.

I did this a good while ago, so that's why I don't remember that well, but hopefully it will work for you.

Last edited:

emv1031

Nov 14, 2009
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, there is!

I don't remember exactly how to do it, but I know this much - first, you need to put the empty SD card into your device. Then, boot into ClockworkMod. Navigate to the Advanced submenu. This is where my memory gets a little fuzzy, but I think there is a "Repartition SD card" option or something like that inside that submenu that, when used properly, can be used to completely resize an SD card.

I did this a good while ago, so that's why I don't remember that well, but hopefully it will work for you.

Post thank? :good:

ok thank you... will do some research on that!!