• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Searched many places for root for kyocera torque but no results

Search This thread

george911

Oct 1, 2013
Niagara Falls
Kyocera Torque in Canada ?

Hello, I just purchased the Kyocera Torque online. It is a Sprint phone . Will I be able to use this with a Canadian carrier ?

Thanks Everyone ! :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

george911

Oct 1, 2013
Niagara Falls
sprint torque on telus

hello, there is online compatible check at telus. would anyone be able to test a sprint torque imei/esn and share results. :highfive:
thanks

x000x

Apr 6, 2012
From what I have heard it is just for LTE and as long as you have that it there I believe you should be fine since they imei number and not Sim cards but it's possible I'm mistaken have you talked to sprint at all

Sent from my Torque using xda app-developers app

yes, i've tried sprint customer support about 6 different occasions. Most of them are unaware that this phone even needs a sim card. they'll bring up the phone in their system and basically say 'it said it doesn't have a sim card slot, are you sure?'. Or, 'your phone should already come with a sim card'. I guess I should have been more clear and say that I was trying to get one before I had the phone, so maybe thats the issue. If I go into the sprint store they won't give me one unless the phone is on my account. But most of the customer support people keep having the system say that this phone does not have a sim card slot at all.

mrossgeek

Nov 6, 2013
York, PA
yes, i've tried sprint customer support about 6 different occasions. Most of them are unaware that this phone even needs a sim card. they'll bring up the phone in their system and basically say 'it said it doesn't have a sim card slot, are you sure?'. Or, 'your phone should already come with a sim card'. I guess I should have been more clear and say that I was trying to get one before I had the phone, so maybe thats the issue. If I go into the sprint store they won't give me one unless the phone is on my account. But most of the customer support people keep having the system say that this phone does not have a sim card slot at all.

Give me a day or two. If other Sprint phones need a sim for LTE connectivity, and take the same part number, I might be able to come up with one for you. My buddy and his girlfriend have had a few LTE connected phones on Sprint and my fiance is up for an upgrade. If the part numbers match I'll let you know and we will get one sent out to you.

george911

Oct 1, 2013
Niagara Falls
Sim Card

Give me a day or two. If other Sprint phones need a sim for LTE connectivity, and take the same part number, I might be able to come up with one for you. My buddy and his girlfriend have had a few LTE connected phones on Sprint and my fiance is up for an upgrade. If the part numbers match I'll let you know and we will get one sent out to you.

Hi, it takes Sprint part number SIMGLT207R - Domestic LTE 3FF removable with USIM , according to a recently updated compatibility matrix found on Google.

Last edited:

x000x

Apr 6, 2012
yea, its a strange one. I can get one of the seemingly more common sim, SIMGLW206R, but this SIMGLT207R sim has been difficult. I guess many at Sprint do not think this phone needs one because it is not a international phone. For anyone else that might read this, the SIMGLW206R won't work at all. It has to be SIMGLT207R. Here is the document if anyone is curious https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AtNVEqz3vqzmdDNiMnozYnB2V1VSdVpGVmNVNlNiRWc&output=html
interestingly, some phones from virgin and boost seem to have the same kind of sim card. So I wonder if it would be possible to get one from there, or buy a cheap phone from virgin/boost, put the sim in the torque and activate it on sprint, or even have it on virgin/boost?

Last edited:

x000x

Apr 6, 2012
well good news I was able to get one mailed to me. It was a sprint rep through the sprint forums. If someone is in need of one send me a pm and I'll tell you who. I asked him about it a few days ago, so it took this long to get back with me about it. I don't know how much trouble the guy had to go through to get one mailed out, so he might turn others down.

george911

Oct 1, 2013
Niagara Falls
Unlock Torque for Telus or Bell

yea, its a strange one. I can get one of the seemingly more common sim, SIMGLW206R, but this SIMGLT207R sim has been difficult. I guess many at Sprint do not think this phone needs one because it is not a international phone. For anyone else that might read this, the SIMGLW206R won't work at all. It has to be SIMGLT207R. Here is the document if anyone is curious
interestingly, some phones from virgin and boost seem to have the same kind of sim card. So I wonder if it would be possible to get one from there, or buy a cheap phone from virgin/boost, put the sim in the torque and activate it on sprint, or even have it on virgin/boost?

Thats what am hoping- maybe to get it setup on telus or bell (prepaid or data only plan) buy using there version of the microsim . would need to sim unlock? thought only gsm phones have sim card ? also heard sprint will unlock for international use but not in the US

:confused:

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Thats what am hoping- maybe to get it setup on telus or bell (prepaid or data only plan) buy using there version of the microsim . would need to sim unlock? thought only gsm phones have sim card ? also heard sprint will unlock for international use but not in the US

Okay maybe you got things confused. This phone does not have gsm capability the sim card is only for 4g. Yes some sprint phones have gsm but this is not one. Here is a link to specs http://m.gsmarena.com/kyocera_torque_e6710-5270.php.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

x000x

Apr 6, 2012

you'll need to find a phone service that uses cdma technology instead of gsm. And then you'll probably have to get it flashed, but I don't really know much about that stuff. I think this can be done without a sim card, but w/o the sim card you can only use it as a 3g device I believe. Not sure about Canada, but over here sprint 3g is maybe slightly faster than dialup speed... At least where I live.

Last edited:
Reactions: george911

george911

Oct 1, 2013
Niagara Falls
Kyocera Torque

you'll need to find a phone service that uses cdma technology instead of gsm. And then you'll probably have to get it flashed, but I don't really know much about that stuff. I think this can be done without a sim card, but w/o the sim card you can only use it as a 3g device I believe. Not sure about Canada, but over here sprint 3g is maybe slightly faster than dialup speed... At least where I live.

Hello, seen a thread about converting the cdma s3 LTE sim slot to work with GSM .
could this maybe apply to the torque as well ?
thanks for all the help

jlmancuso

Apr 26, 2011
houston, tx
Hello, seen a thread about converting the cdma s3 LTE sim slot to work with GSM .
could this maybe apply to the torque as well ?
thanks for all the help

No s3 has cdma/GSM radio but torque only has CDMA. If this helps think of it as am/FM radio. While you can do both if you have the hardware the torque is like a 50's radio so only get am.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: UPdownLoAD

x000x

Apr 6, 2012
anyone know what "offline speech recognition data" is and how important it is? mine was stuck at 88% for days and i finally just killed it.

george911

Oct 1, 2013
Niagara Falls
Lte sim slot

Hello, how to unlock the sim slot? if unlocked is still only work with sprints 1900 lte frequency only? think telus is 1700mhz . :fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Full Root Working and Tested (Write-Up Coming Soon)

I guess it took me wanting to sell the Torque and move on from it for the light to go off...well, a working root has been attained and confirmed on this device running the latest 1.007SP release. I am a little tied up until later tonight or sometime this weekend, but the general synopsis, for those who have been trying diligently, is as follows:

1. Hard reset and get back as stock as you can
    2. motochopper
    3. reboot
    4. check shell root in ADB, if good, proceed to MtkDroidTools_247
    5. run this in ADB shell in a seperate window to make the system folder writable for the moment: mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system
    6. Superuser button in MtkDT247 to install SuperSU (it should also safely/properly remove CWM's Superuser app)
    7. if you do not see SuperSU on device, reboot device
    8. open SuperSU on device (make sure you have a web connection live on it) and update su binary & set Default access to "Grant" (only works like this for now, so BE CAREFUL WHICH ROOTED APPS YOU ARE USING) then reboot
    *should be golden at this point*

As I said, a more thorough write-up will come later along with links to everything needed along with working Wifi Tether settings for those whose sole reason for root is that. Thanks for everyone's participation and interest in this device thus far. Enjoy it as I bid adieu to my own.

If anyone can follow the chicken scratch above and can get this going on their own virgin Torque, feel free to put together a write-up, but please don't forget the credits and point back to this thread for future reference. I plan on drawing up the deets and posting right back in here versus starting a new thread (unless it is deemed necessary).

Next stop, trying to pull the recovery & cooking up a working custom recovery, but that is up to y'all.

Update: PLEASE refrain from questions and PMs until I or someone else posts a more detailed write-up. These steps are not really supposed to be decipherable to those who don't comprehend them. Just wait for the write-up if you are stuck at all. If it isn't answered there, then bring em on.
    Other root method found for Kyocera Torque

I guess it took me wanting to sell the Torque and move on from it for the light to go off...well, a working root has been attained and confirmed on this device running the latest 1.007SP release. I am a little tied up until later tonight or sometime this weekend, but the general synopsis, for those who have been trying diligently, is as follows:

1. Hard reset and get back as stock as you can
    2. motochopper
    3. reboot
    4. check shell root in ADB, if good, proceed to MtkDroidTools_247
    5. run this in ADB shell in a seperate window to make the system folder writable for the moment: mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system
    6. Superuser button in MtkDT247 to install SuperSU (it should also safely/properly remove CWM's Superuser app)
    7. if you do not see SuperSU on device, reboot device
    8. open SuperSU on device (make sure you have a web connection live on it) and update su binary & set Default access to "Grant" (only works like this for now, so BE CAREFUL WHICH ROOTED APPS YOU ARE USING) then reboot
    *should be golden at this point*

As I said, a more thorough write-up will come later along with links to everything needed along with working Wifi Tether settings for those whose sole reason for root is that. Thanks for everyone's participation and interest in this device thus far. Enjoy it as I bid adieu to my own.

If anyone can follow the chicken scratch above and can get this going on their own virgin Torque, feel free to put together a write-up, but please don't forget the credits and point back to this thread for future reference. I plan on drawing up the deets and posting right back in here versus starting a new thread (unless it is deemed necessary).

Next stop, trying to pull the recovery & cooking up a working custom recovery, but that is up to y'all.

Update: PLEASE refrain from questions and PMs until I or someone else posts a more detailed write-up. These steps are not really supposed to be decipherable to those who don't comprehend them. Just wait for the write-up if you are stuck at all. If it isn't answered there, then bring em on.

i found that the following work for me on the most current software version just released.

FRAMAROOT Compatibility for Qualcomm devices (Gandalf exploit only) :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2130276

1. Framaroot v1.6.0 >Gandalf > Install SuperSU

2. Dont reboot install SuperSU from market and upgrade binary.

3. Install Busybox from market

4. Reboot
    Currently working on porting a ROM and recovery for our phone just FYI ;)

Sent from my Torque using xda app-developers app
    If /system is mounted as r/w, use qtadb on your computer or use a file explorer on your phone to delete some useless stuff. You may need shell root for this, but I'm not sure. Its definitely worth a shot. And I've heard that in jellybean developer settings menu is hidden. You need to have usb debgging on, so if this is the case, go to about phone and build number and tap it 7 times to discover developer settings. I would recommend going to /system/media/visual and delete the stuff in there like videos of android in space and pics of sunset.

*edit: without root, I don't think you can delete anything from /system. If you find that you can't, see if uninstalling sytem app updates would help. Although I'm not sure if that would work. Just try it anyway.

You may have to do an adb backup for everything but system and a qtadb app backup and factory reset your phone to free up memory in /system. This might uninstall jellybean though.

Actually, I was able to get it to work. Here's the exact sequence I followed (stock Jellybean):

1) adb push busybox, pwn, and su over to /data/local/tmp
    2) adb install Superuser.apk
    3) adb shell. In the shell,
    a) cd /data/local/tmp
    b) ln busybox cp
    c) ln busybox mount
    d) ln busybox chmod
    e) ln busybox chgrp
    f) export PATH=/data/local/tmp:$PATH
    g) chmod 755 pwn
    h) ./pwn
    4) At this point, the files are in place, but su isn't working. That's ok, because I was able to delete the 480p videos in /system/media/videos, since the exploit had me mounted rw even though su failed. Frees up 2MB, which is all we need.
    5) back on the computer, do adb shell /data/local/tmp/pwn (for some reason, it doesn't work if you just open a shell and do it)
    6) Once it runs, verify you can get a root shell.
    7) Follow the previous instructions with mtkdroid to install SuperSU

Verified that it worked and survived a reboot via the root check in Titanium Backup.

edit Note: the reason I did the hardlinks to busybox and the PATH thing was that the first time I tried running the exploit, it failed, saying that it couldn't find 'cp'. So, I gave it every command I saw buried in the text near the end of the exploit executable. :good:
    From a rooted torque

Searched google with lots of different keywords and can't find anything that will successfully root this phone. It's running 4.0.4 IMM76I ics with software version 1.006SP, hardware 010B. The kernel version, if it helps, is:

3.0.21-g88ef181
    [email protected] #1
    SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 18
    08:39:31 JST 2013

I've tried superoneclick, multiroot (title is root many.... on xda mainly for sony but some kyocera), and xfactor exploit. I know most of them aren't for this specific phone. In the root many and xfactor, it does manage to call up the restore screen but the phone closes the restore a few seconds after opening it and the exploit fails every time. I've been checking every day for new news for this phone but haven't found anything yet. I assume it is because it isn't a popular phone as to why there is not a guide. I assume that kyocera/sprint buttoned up the back doors for the other kyocera phones on this model. Any suggestions or clarifications are welcome.

Ok! :) try motochop it works the only problem is I can't get superuser to work right. You have to go into the settings and set default access as grant. From what I know the 1st rooted torque ever.

Thank the dev djrblizz (I hope I got that right) :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2252248