• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Sensation (z710e) doesn't have hboot - any help welcome!!

Search This thread

misteral1970

May 3, 2010
Hi Guys,

New to flashing the Sensation, though I've done my HD2 a good few times.
Girlfriend just bought a Sensation and I'm eager to flash a decent ROM to it but failing at the first hurdle.

From what I can tell, there is no HBOOT but instead it has uboot (forgive me if this sounds ridiculous).
When I use Power+Volume Down, I do not get a white screen with options and information but instead get a black screen. There's no sign of an HBOOT version, but there is a uboot version number.

If I press Power +Volume Up I am sent to a recovery mode, but I don't think it's CWM.

If I try to use Revolutionary, it finds the phone (in normal mode, not h/u boot) and says that the phone is not supported.

Phone was bought in China but I think it is a Euro model (T Mobile branding on top of phone)

There is a possibility that a ROM has already been flashed onto it - but it sucks, and I want her to get the best from her new phone.

Also, I cannot get the CID or MID number. Tried CID getter, neither of them were on there. Tried terminal emulator, no response from getprop ro.cid or ro.mid.
So even if I wanted to upgrade the firmware, I am unsure which one to use!!

Has anyone run into this sort of situation? Using SuperTool I was able to get root access, which is at least a step in the right direction but I'm not sure how to proceed. Maybe it's already s-off and I can update the firmware and thus get hboot. But if it's not, then I run the risk of ruining it.

If you think I can go ahead and try to install new firmware, without risk of bricking or semi bricking, then I would probably be inclined to go for it.

Looking around here and also on Google, I haven't seen anyone with the same issue, so any help you can give would be very welcome!!

Many thanks in advance,

Mr Al

Last edited:

misteral1970

May 3, 2010
Ok, we've just spoken (online) with the sellers 'tech' guy.
I think pmbldc is right, it's a fake.

Their guy says that it can be flashed, but only using the roms on their forum.
I think it's bull. Currently feeling ripped off and unhappy, but what can I do?!?!

misteral1970

May 3, 2010
Haha! A little tricky that one, as I live in China!

I've bought lots of electronics over here, both locally branded/produced and international. Lots of successes.

To be fair (grudgingly) this guy was considerably cheaper than everyone else. That old adage of 'if something seems too good to be true, it is' applies very well in this case.

Pretty disgusted with the whole thing, the conversation my girlfriend had with the 'tech' guy was ridiculous. Both she and I work in tech so his usual line of BS didn't work with us.

So now, having decided to be sensible and not buy the HTC One X, we're going to end up spending about the same amount of money anyway!

All we can do is learn from our mistakes, and at least now I know what to look for when buying a Sensation!!!!