[Q] Short WPA-PSK Wifi Password

Search This thread

bobob101

Nov 24, 2010
Hi there,

I just installed MIUI_Au 1.5.6 R1 (although this issue may be Android wide, I haven't had the chance to test on any other roms yet) on my HTC Desire and love how it is looking! I have one major problem with it though and that is I cannot connect to my wifi network. The password for my wifi is under the 8 character minimum acceptance length. I have no way of changing this password (I'm in corporate housing, hence I don't have access to the router).

To sum up what happens:
- Enter wifi settings
- Pick the wireless network I want to connect to
- Tap in the box to bring up keyboard
- Punch in password
- Try to tap "Connect" but it is greyed out
- Enter extra characters until 8 character length is reached
- "Connect" button becomes active, but trying to connect obviously fails since it is an incorrect password

Note that I have successfully connected to this network with my laptop (Macbook running OS 10.6.7).

How can I connect to my wifi network (only network around that I have access to) with such a short password or am I just stuck?

The security type on the network is WPA/WPA2 PSK.

Thanks ahead for any help or responses!

Colin

Austinl

Apr 28, 2010
Wellingborough
The WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) key must meet one of the following guidelines:

- Between 8 and 63 characters (A longer WPA key is more secure than a short one)
- Exactly 64 characters using 0-9 and A-F

If your access type is WPA/WPA2-PSK, then there is no way your password is under 8 characters.

Austinl

Apr 28, 2010
Wellingborough
A router will allow you to have a shorter pass-code on WAP but never on WPA/WPA2-PSK because of encryption. You can't force a phone to accept a shorter code. What i'd suggest is that you go on your router and change the password length, a lot easier.

k.satish

Sep 16, 2016
how to crack wps psk iball batton wifi

Sir, I have a lenovo a 536 android device with rooted .sir how I can hack wps psk WiFi from easy steps sir I want to know that answer tell me as soon as possible

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone