[Q] Simplify rooting/updating process

Search This thread

mortmomof2

Apr 26, 2011
We have 4 rooted Nooks. (We are a homeschool family that loves to read, and don't share well ;) ) We want to keep our root (we like having access to the Market.)

Having four, when updates come out, it is a big headache to get all four updated without losing root. I've been scouring this forum for a few days and have a few questions.

What would you recommend as a way to simplify this process? Run CM7 from SD, dual boot, and then updates can go through internal memory with no worries? Can you switch from SD to internal without rebooting? How often does CM7 have to be updated? (Again, I have 4 to keep up with!) Should I just be patient and wait for autonooter as it's the easiest way? Any other thoughts I should consider?

I wish we weren't so addicted to the rooted Nook! LOL

Also, I've found several threads with links to the CM7...how do you know if you have the most current link?

Thanks so much! This forum is amazing!

knaries2000

Apr 13, 2009
If you run cm7 you will not get auto updates. you will not need to worry about that. But with cm7 you will not have the b&n stock launcher which can read magazine and newspaper subscriptions. If you dont care about that then cm7 should be fine. As for how often you need to update cm7, you dont ever need to if you dont want to, and if you want you can pretty much do it every night with nightly builds.

Sent from my NookColor using XDA App

Reactions: mortmomof2

xxiworld

Feb 26, 2011
Is the magazine and newspapers the only thing you 'lose' from BN stock?

That, and the ability for your nook to sleep. CM7 (which I have just switched to, because I was unable to block the update to my rooted 1.0.1) doesn't actually sleep, so when your screen is off, your battery is still running down.

Some people this does not seem to bother. I seem to have a lesser battery, because even on Stock I was only getting 2-3 days. With CM7 (so far, just installed it yesterday) it looks like I will have to charge it every night, or at least every other night. I've also been powering it down when I'm not going to use it for a while, but then I have to boot it up again, and that takes more time.

When you have four to keep charged, that could be a real hassle.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you run cm7 you will not get auto updates. you will not need to worry about that. But with cm7 you will not have the b&n stock launcher which can read magazine and newspaper subscriptions. If you dont care about that then cm7 should be fine. As for how often you need to update cm7, you dont ever need to if you dont want to, and if you want you can pretty much do it every night with nightly builds.

Sent from my NookColor using XDA App
    This is the link that you wanna check for CM7 update (nightly and stable)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone