[Q] Sleep of Death (SoD) on i9100

Search This thread

ke3pup

Jan 3, 2010
hi guys

For those that haven't heard of or seen an Sleep of Death (SoD) in action , it is where your phone does not respond to any user input whilst it's in sleep mode thus making the phone unusable since you are unable to wake the phone. The only way to recover is to either force reboot the phone, receive a call or call yourself from another phone.

I have encountered SoD four times til now, on KE2, KE7 and Now KF2 .

I don't think its got anything to do with the ROM, this has happened for me on Cognition, VillainRom , CF-root on stock Roms.

looking around the web it seems it might be a kernel/driver issue and remains unfixed (not sure)?

Anyone knows workarounds? Any Devs that are working on this?

Thanks

blue265

Jan 31, 2011
Toronto
I haven't encountered this yet and I've also tried a bunch of different ROMs. Are you by chance overclocking or underclovking/UVing at all? If so, that could be the culprit. If not, then its hardto say what may be causing it other than an app the phone may not respond well with.

Harvin Dhillon

May 24, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I had this happen once. I tried many ways to wake it up even charging, the charging sound comes up but the screen wont wake. Had to reboot.

Havent happened again though.

ke3pup

Jan 3, 2010
I haven't under/over clocked the CPU at all but from what I understand it has nothing to do with CPU frequency but more so a bug in kernel or in one of the drivers.

Its not easy to reproduce but its definitely there, I'm hoping it'll be addressed in cyanogen rom when its out given the fixed SoD somewhere in 7.0rc I think.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

godzilla123

Jun 25, 2011
I haven't under/over clocked the CPU at all but from what I understand it has nothing to do with CPU frequency but more so a bug in kernel or in one of the drivers.

Its not easy to reproduce but its definitely there, I'm hoping it'll be addressed in cyanogen rom when its out given the fixed SoD somewhere in 7.0rc I think.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

On my ace this issue occured when the wifi was on. The phone goes into "sleep mode" and needs a reboot (press the power key for 10 seconds).

I was not able to find the exact conditions but it was more promient when 3g was also switched on.

Does your issue occur only when the wifi is on?

stinkypete

Oct 16, 2006
london
This has happened 4-5 to me
as well. I have found that a putting the phone on charge can free it. But its a real pain if it happens out and about, I had to take the battery out to get it to work

ke3pup

Jan 3, 2010
Again this has nothing to do with an app/rom..etc. you may think a certain app you installed its causing it but in case of SoD that's highly unlikely. The source of problem is else where.

"@cyanogen: @Bradart @1000hams try a nightly build if you are on 7.0. Google fixed bugs for 2.3.4 that can cause that (7.0 is 2.3.3)."

The above is a quote in response to SoD question (don't know which device, but android < 2.3.4) which to me suggests another bug in 2.3.3 that has been fixed in 2.3.4.

nibir.mudai

Nov 7, 2011
Bug Report - SGS2 (Sleep of Death)

Please use this link to report the bug:

code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=21607&thanks=21607&ts=1320690472

S4Mario7

Sep 25, 2012
I think I found a way to avoid SoD (Sleep of Death)

I'm new on the forum :) And that SoD problem annoyed me for so long and I kept searching.... But I think I finally found why we kept getting SoD.

Ok so I'M NOT SURE, but Try following those steps and be sure of every single thing and then tell me if you guys keep getting SoDs..

1- "Do not use two governors as screen-on & screen-off govs, if they both have an upper frequency limit for screen-off state." - droidphile
2- I think some of us don't do "clean flash of our ROM", so you guys need to follow those exact steps from that link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=28395322&postcount=3

Or I will just write them again...

1- Reboot into recovery (Turn off your phone then press and hold the keys: Volume Up + Power + Home)
2- Wipe Data / Factory Reset
3- Install the Main ROM file
4- In AROMA installer select "Custom Installation"
5- Choose depending of your taste
6- When AROMA installer finish untick the "Reboot Now" option
7- When you're back on the recovery go to Advanced
8- Wipe Dalvik Cache
9- Fix Permissions
10- Wipe Cache Partition
11- Reboot
12- When you get the step for add your Google Account, if you don't have a WiFi enabled or you can' add it, skip it
13- When you boot into the system, it's probably that you don't have data enabled (3g, H+) just reboot the phone
14- When you boot again into the system, the data will be enabled and you can do the configuration of Google Account (if you don't do this step before)
This is the moment for install all the extras like themes, mods, fixes, kernels, etc.

3- ok and NOW After your "CLEAN Flash of ROM" When you use Titanium backup Root application to restore your applications, DONT restore the things with RED text color. Restore ONLY the things with green text color.

In other words, restore only apps with their data and NOT all system data.

4- Ok and Once you did that. About the Governor you use, I think we push the limits of the CPU and the phone just can't resist the tweaks we did and a SoD appears. So try these settings if you have Siyah Kernel :)

Minimum CPU frequency: 200 Mhz
Maximum Frequency: 1000 Mhz

Governor: luzactive
Default I/O sheduler: SIO

So try THAT and tell me if you guys keep getting SoD ...

lol I didn't get SoD since 2 days :) And I hope it could help. Because installing Wake My Android Pro, or WakeLock or Load Monitor just DIDN'T work for me -__-

screenager

Sep 25, 2012
i stumble upon this problem whenever i use too harsh UV settings(depends from kernel to kernel). also my device SoDs whenever i use 100mhz as the lowest step- again with some kernels it tolerates it. my guess is: every phone is slighty different, so you just have to experiment with yours and find the best settings for your specific hardware (you dont say xD)

S4Mario7

Sep 25, 2012
i stumble upon this problem whenever i use too harsh UV settings(depends from kernel to kernel). also my device SoDs whenever i use 100mhz as the lowest step- again with some kernels it tolerates it. my guess is: every phone is slighty different, so you just have to experiment with yours and find the best settings for your specific hardware (you dont say xD)

I understand your point of view, but by the way, I read a lot of that forum, and putting minimum frequency at 100Mhz might be Bad for your phone for 4 reasons:

1) When you receive a call, the call might lag because it needs absolutely a minimum of 200Mhz, so setting your CPU minimum frequency at 100Mhz might cause probs for phone calls.. ( i read that somewhere on XDA but dont remember where...)

2) Moreover, "It seems 100 mhz uses more power than 200 mhz. According to tests, 100 mhz accounted to 1 W / GHz and 200 mhz to 0.7 W / GHz, when both the cores were online."

3) "200 mhz can finish same task faster compared 100 mhz and thus hit deep idle soon."

4) "200 mhz is the 'sweet spot' of frequency in SGS II. ie, the frequency used in the calculations based on the optimal energy to run (Ex: In Milestone it's 550 MHz). So , 'energetically efficient' frequency for our CPU is 200 mhz."

Those 3 last reasons came from droidphile :) I'm not the author of this, but minimum frequency should stay at 200Mhz

lavemetoo

Nov 15, 2012
i want reactivate this thread, because I think there are some users who still have this problem like me.
As far as I recognized there seems to be more reasons for SoD.
All seems to have begun with Android 4.1.2 and just keeps on until now.
I have tried some kernels and runs now Dori 9.33 and see how it works.
It seems that there are some kernel issues as well as some apps and some constellations of SD-cards.
But no one has a real solution.
I read about a "indish kernel" for the i9100g models, but also some who reported SoDs with this kernel.
But I found no real solution for our i9100.

I have attached a logfile (catched with Catlog) which I recorded until my last SoD.
In my case, I can also call my phone and the caller hears it ringing, but my phone stays black without sound and unresponible.
The only thing is to hold the power button for 10 seconds and reboot it.

Attachments

• SoD.txt
    164.8 KB · Views: 13

lavemetoo

Nov 15, 2012
just to tell:
nearly 24h without a SoD with my combination :eek:
BUT: I have not used my camera so far! And I think camera & media scanning has something to do with it.
If everything is running until tonight, I will try my camera and see the result.

after nearly 2 days
:good: nearly 48h working, so I will keep my combination.
But it is interesting, that nobody has any problems although you can read a lot about this problem. :confused:

after more than 2 days:
and here we go. SoD :crying: but 48h is better than nothing :eek:

Last edited:

lavemetoo

Nov 15, 2012
a lot of things might come from corrupt files.
There are 2 scripts which will clean your partitions and try to fix broken files

1. GS2ROMclean made by hawkerpaul
2. Fix_Partitions_v1.0.2.zip made by Computoncio

you can run out of CWM and install as a zip.
So far it is recommended to run 1. GS2ROMClean, reboot, then 2. Fix Partitions to ensure you have clean partitions
Be patient! 2. runs very long, up to 2 hours and the phone becomes very hot. So I think power connection is absolutely recommended

BUT NOT TESTED COMPLETELY BY ME

Last edited:

Hopper8

Sep 17, 2012
You could run the ROM clean as often as you want. If the other doesn't fix it after one time, no point running it again. In saying that, I'm not sure if there would be any benefit from running the first one more than once anyway.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away

lavemetoo

Nov 15, 2012
a lot of things might come from corrupt files.

There are 2 scripts which will clean your partitions and try to fix broken files
1. GS2ROMclean made by hawkerpaul
2. Fix_Partitions_v1.0.2.zip made by Computoncio

1. runs very fast, took round about 10 seconds. Reboot was successful afterwards. All was working.
Now I run 2. - info will follow - would be great, if there were a kind of progress bar or a kind of information. So you don not know if it hangs or not.

Last edited:

lavemetoo

Nov 15, 2012
script 2. ended after 1h with a warning. Now run again?

Code:
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

/dev/block/mmcblk0p10: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

/dev/block/mmcblk0p10: 11854/131072 files (5.4% non-contiguous), 524288/524288 blocks

Checking preload partition:
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
/lost+found not found.  Create? yes

Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/block/mmcblk0p12: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12: 544/32768 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 29992/131072 blocks

Automatic Fix Partitions finished at 30-07-2013 14:10:33

attached is the complete logfile

ATTENTION: My phone was connected to USB and lost 10% battery during this script operation!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1238478

Here's the solution :) I hope it helps... it worked for me :)
    I've been following all your posts mate. I haven't commented because I have no extra help for you, you've tried everything and more than could be expected to fix it. I can tell you that it's not all s2's that experience this, so it's not the phone in general. It seems you're quite unlucky. Sorry not to be of any assistance.

Edit: have you tried 9.14? It's regarded by many users to be the most stable release of dorimanx so far. Never had any issues with that release personally on a tweaked 'battery' profile.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away