[Q] Some help with creating an Update.zip for my A7 please

Search This thread

domito

Mar 4, 2011
I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some assistance. Basically the situation is that I wanted to get VPN working on the A7 which required tun.ko. I cross compiled the kernel and managed to get a tun.ko file and I added it to my device. Installing the module did not work, so I left it.

At some point my A7 shut off, and now it will not boot, it hangs at the ANDROID screen, before getting to the HC animation (dexmod 1.42). I am assuming at this point that my tun.ko is the issue so I created a patch update to remove the modules I had added to see if that would work.

Note: This patch is exactly the same as the ElocityMod 1.4.2 ad-hoc patch, I just changed the script actions and re-bundled.

The script only does this:

delete_recursive SYSTEM:lib/modules
delete SYSTEM:lib/tun.ko

I created the /system/lib/modules dir, so I know it exists, as does the /system/lib/tun.ko. When I try to run the update script I get the following error:

Installing Update
close from_child
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 6[1536])
Installation aborted.

I am trying not to flash back to the 1.4.2 as I have some investment and stupidly did not back-up before I started this venture. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

As a side note, according to the /proc/config.gz on the tablet (kernel config) the TUN/TAP is compiled into the kernel, but not compiled as a module. For this reason I doubt VPN will work unless the apps can recognize the TUN device instead of failing because the module does not exist.

Last edited:

bestialbub

May 19, 2010
with specifics to an update script, the script desired should be as follows
Code:
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "-orw,remount","/system");
delete("/system/lib/tun.ko");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "-oro,remount","/system");

you will need to remember to sign your update.zip after creation if you're not familiar with the process. searching on xda should turn up results for 'sign update.zip'.

i'd list the specific files and not do recursive deleting. though if introducing a kernel module caused you problems, i don't think it was merely copying/removing that had an effect, but wouldn't you have had to either issue an 'insmod' command manually or you added a call to that module using insmod added to the init.rc or a bash script. you need to remove that reference too if you did.

if your 'investment' is related to your /data folder (with your stored apps and app settings), you can use my cwm fakeflash recovery to backup and restore your /data contents (installed apps, and system settings) after a factory reset and reloading dexter's rom (using factory recovery).

alternative solutions; maybe if you were doing these kind of experiments you MIGHT have left the usb device setting on (for adb connectivity). if so, try to adb shell into the device to correct your problem by hand; type adb devices from a command prompt for fun to see if the device still lists (it did for me when softbricked once).

I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some assistance. Basically the situation is that I wanted to get VPN working on the A7 which required tun.ko. I cross compiled the kernel and managed to get a tun.ko file and I added it to my device. Installing the module did not work, so I left it.

At some point my A7 shut off, and now it will not boot, it hangs at the ANDROID screen, before getting to the HC animation (dexmod 1.42). I am assuming at this point that my tun.ko is the issue so I created a patch update to remove the modules I had added to see if that would work.

Note: This patch is exactly the same as the ElocityMod 1.4.2 ad-hoc patch, I just changed the script actions and re-bundled.

The script only does this:

delete_recursive SYSTEM:lib/modules
delete SYSTEM:lib/tun.ko

I created the /system/lib/modules dir, so I know it exists, as does the /system/lib/tun.ko. When I try to run the update script I get the following error:

Installing Update
close from_child
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 6[1536])
Installation aborted.

I am trying not to flash back to the 1.4.2 as I have some investment and stupidly did not back-up before I started this venture. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

As a side note, according to the /proc/config.gz on the tablet (kernel config) the TUN/TAP is compiled into the kernel, but not compiled as a module. For this reason I doubt VPN will work unless the apps can recognize the TUN device instead of failing because the module does not exist.

bestialbub

May 19, 2010
..alternatively alternatively i also did a update.zip of the latest factory rom that may assist with your issue, if the above solutions do not work. assuming your 'investment' isn't in the /system folder, it can format your /system folder and reinstall the /system files from the factory firmware with all correct permissions. a little examination of my update.zip could be used as a template for creating a similar one for dexter's rom, for these particular times when you'd like to re-do your /system folder and leave the rest of your partitions and data intact.

locatable, roundabout, from my twitter. same name as here.

oh. you could just write a script to execute a bash script (file.sh) thats got simple copy commands to copy your 'investment' to sdcard (/sdcard in recovery). that might be the simplest non creative approach that would allow you to continue on with a normal factory reset and reload of dexter's rom.

using bash scripts might also aid you in doing what you want without having to know or experiment with proper scripting syntax. ;)

..oh, AND you could just edit dexter's rom update.zip to only install the system.img, and remove the rest of the files for installation, and DON"T do a factory reset..

that could help with restoring your system filesystem while leaving the rest of your data intact. didn't occur until this morning, that might be you EASIEST of the multiple suggestions listed. ;)

Last edited:

domito

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the response!

with specifics to an update script, the script desired should be as follows
Code:
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "-orw,remount","/system");
delete("/system/lib/tun.ko");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "-oro,remount","/system");

This was actually what I did for my first try, with the same result.

you will need to remember to sign your update.zip after creation if you're not familiar with the process. searching on xda should turn up results for 'sign update.zip'.

I did not do this, I was not sure I had to. :)

i'd list the specific files and not do recursive deleting. though if introducing a kernel module caused you problems, i don't think it was merely copying/removing that had an effect, but wouldn't you have had to either issue an 'insmod' command manually or you added a call to that module using insmod added to the init.rc or a bash script. you need to remove that reference too if you did.

I did insmod it as well as modprobe, it gave me an error which was likely because (as I found later) the TUN is compiled into the kernel, which means a module could not possibly load.

if your 'investment' is related to your /data folder (with your stored apps and app settings), you can use my cwm fakeflash recovery to backup and restore your /data contents (installed apps, and system settings) after a factory reset and reloading dexter's rom (using factory recovery).

I'll have to take a look at that, I was no aware it existed.

alternative solutions; maybe if you were doing these kind of experiments you MIGHT have left the usb device setting on (for adb connectivity). if so, try to adb shell into the device to correct your problem by hand; type adb devices from a command prompt for fun to see if the device still lists (it did for me when softbricked once).

The issue with the A7 is that it's got USB host only which means I cannot connect it to my PC and adb it. This was a known issue before I bought the A7.

domito

Mar 4, 2011
..alternatively alternatively i also did a update.zip of the latest factory rom that may assist with your issue, if the above solutions do not work. assuming your 'investment' isn't in the /system folder, it can format your /system folder and reinstall the /system files from the factory firmware with all correct permissions. a little examination of my update.zip could be used as a template for creating a similar one for dexter's rom, for these particular times when you'd like to re-do your /system folder and leave the rest of your partitions and data intact.

locatable, roundabout, from my twitter. same name as here.

oh. you could just write a script to execute a bash script (file.sh) thats got simple copy commands to copy your 'investment' to sdcard (/sdcard in recovery). that might be the simplest non creative approach that would allow you to continue on with a normal factory reset and reload of dexter's rom.

using bash scripts might also aid you in doing what you want without having to know or experiment with proper scripting syntax. ;)

..oh, AND you could just edit dexter's rom update.zip to only install the system.img, and remove the rest of the files for installation, and DON"T do a factory reset..

that could help with restoring your system filesystem while leaving the rest of your data intact. didn't occur until this morning, that might be you EASIEST of the multiple suggestions listed. ;)

In the end I went more heavy handed than all that and it worked out fine. I did this before I saw your response otherwise I would have tried to finesse it some more just for the fun of it.

I re-flashed with dexmod 1.41 but I did not reset or wipe anything first. Applying this over top got me booted again with all my apps. 1 quick 1.42 update (and annoying root FB upgrade) and I am back to pre-fail conditions. I backed up my stuff too.

Thanks again for all the useful tips. This type of event has happened a few times and my gut says I am getting some corruption on the NVRAM or something. Only time will tell.

bestialbub

May 19, 2010
adb connectivity works fine, the solution is buried in one of 5stronginos threads, maybe the cwm recovery one. google for USB_OTG.APK i think, its posted on xda w a download link.

..i also prepackage it in my firmware repack.. findable from my twitter.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Reactions: domito

domito

Mar 4, 2011

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    adb connectivity works fine, the solution is buried in one of 5stronginos threads, maybe the cwm recovery one. google for USB_OTG.APK i think, its posted on xda w a download link.

..i also prepackage it in my firmware repack.. findable from my twitter.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone