• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Sony MH1C Headset not supported... WHY?

Search This thread

abi_sam

Sep 26, 2013
I have a Sony MH1C Headset and when it plug it says unsupported headphone....

its working on Sony Xperia Arc S..... Not working on Xperia Z1...(in lollipop they given the option to select headphone models:confused:)

lapuckire

Dec 25, 2012
Prague
Cause it's MH1, not MH1C and has OMTP connector type, not the new CTIA. It's not end for your headphones but will have to buy OMTP to CTIA adapter (from Ebay, for example)

Taken from head-fi.org:

Variation and Confusion
Bear with me here in this section as it is quite important if you are interested in getting a MH1. Let’s begin by explaining two standards used in making the 3.5mm TRRS plug on headset – OMTP and CTIA (both are organizations for mobile standards). For OMTP, the TRRS plug is wired as [Left-Right-Mic-Ground] (from tip-to-sleeve); for CTIA, the TRRS is wired as [Left-Right-Ground-Mic]. Since OMTP was initially endorsed by Ericsson (and Nokia, which still uses the OMTP standard), all of their cellphone, including those under the Sony Ericsson branding, uses this standard. It also got adopted by a few other cellphone manufacturers as standard before mid 2011, such as LG, Motorola, Sony and Samsung. In mid 2010, the OMTP organization transitioned itself into another organization (the WAC, if you are interest to know), and the OMTP standard for headset was subsequently being phased out by most manufacturers within the following year (* it takes time to sell off old models) in favor of the CTIA standard. Part of the big reason for adapting the CTIA standard might be due to the fact that it is the standard used by Apple on their iDevice, which represent a big share of the headset market. Standardization demands from political groups (i.e. the EU) also played a role to push for one headset standard that will work on both Android and iOS, as well as most dumbphones (except for Nokia, which doesn’t like to play with other for now)

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: abi_sam

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cause it's MH1, not MH1C and has OMTP connector type, not the new CTIA. It's not end for your headphones but will have to buy OMTP to CTIA adapter (from Ebay, for example)

Taken from head-fi.org:

Variation and Confusion
    Bear with me here in this section as it is quite important if you are interested in getting a MH1. Let’s begin by explaining two standards used in making the 3.5mm TRRS plug on headset – OMTP and CTIA (both are organizations for mobile standards). For OMTP, the TRRS plug is wired as [Left-Right-Mic-Ground] (from tip-to-sleeve); for CTIA, the TRRS is wired as [Left-Right-Ground-Mic]. Since OMTP was initially endorsed by Ericsson (and Nokia, which still uses the OMTP standard), all of their cellphone, including those under the Sony Ericsson branding, uses this standard. It also got adopted by a few other cellphone manufacturers as standard before mid 2011, such as LG, Motorola, Sony and Samsung. In mid 2010, the OMTP organization transitioned itself into another organization (the WAC, if you are interest to know), and the OMTP standard for headset was subsequently being phased out by most manufacturers within the following year (* it takes time to sell off old models) in favor of the CTIA standard. Part of the big reason for adapting the CTIA standard might be due to the fact that it is the standard used by Apple on their iDevice, which represent a big share of the headset market. Standardization demands from political groups (i.e. the EU) also played a role to push for one headset standard that will work on both Android and iOS, as well as most dumbphones (except for Nokia, which doesn’t like to play with other for now)

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Free mobile app