[Q] SPH-L710 - How to root on KitKat 4.4.2?

Search This thread

markopolomp

Sep 7, 2014
Hey, everyone. It's been a long time since I've rooted my phone. I ended up hard bricking it and getting a new one. (I tried using ROM Manager to update my Clockwork Mod and it downloaded and installed, and when it said it needed to restart the device, I accepted, and that was the last time I was able to use the phone).

Anyway, I got it replaced and I haven't rooted it. It's been about 8 months or so and I've decided I want to root my phone again. However, after doing a little research, I saw that rooting is now different when the device is running 4.4.2. I want to be able to run CyanogenMod and flash nightlies and whatnot. Is it safe for me to root my phone and flash CyanogenMod? If so, could someone direct me step by step to doing it? It's been so long and I don't want to brick another phone.

tl;dr -> havent rooted a phone in almost a year, kinda forgot how. SPH-L710 running 4.4.2. is it safe? how do i do it? i want cyanogenmod

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Feb 3, 2013
Los Osos
Hey, everyone. It's been a long time since I've rooted my phone. I ended up hard bricking it and getting a new one. (I tried using ROM Manager to update my Clockwork Mod and it downloaded and installed, and when it said it needed to restart the device, I accepted, and that was the last time I was able to use the phone).

Anyway, I got it replaced and I haven't rooted it. It's been about 8 months or so and I've decided I want to root my phone again. However, after doing a little research, I saw that rooting is now different when the device is running 4.4.2. I want to be able to run CyanogenMod and flash nightlies and whatnot. Is it safe for me to root my phone and flash CyanogenMod? If so, could someone direct me step by step to doing it? It's been so long and I don't want to brick another phone.

tl;dr -> havent rooted a phone in almost a year, kinda forgot how. SPH-L710 running 4.4.2. is it safe? how do i do it? i want cyanogenmod

you wont brick it by rooting but here is 3 methods

1. first and mostly recommended flash Philz recovery for the D2Lte in Odin just make sure your on the latest one then root your stock rom with the option under Philz settings called Re-root(SuperSU)

2. you can use any recovery and flash the SuperSU zip from Chain fire

3. you can just use TowelRoot for the actual rooting process then download SuperSU and BusyBox from the PlayStore

method 2 implies that you already have a recovery installed

method 3 will give you root but no recovery

markopolomp

Sep 7, 2014
you wont brick it by rooting but here is 3 methods

1. first and mostly recommended flash Philz recovery for the D2Lte in Odin just make sure your on the latest one then root your stock rom with the option under Philz settings called Re-root(SuperSU)

2. you can use any recovery and flash the SuperSU zip from Chain fire

3. you can just use TowelRoot for the actual rooting process then download SuperSU and BusyBox from the PlayStore

method 2 implies that you already have a recovery installed

method 3 will give you root but no recovery

Is there a video of how to root doing this from start to finish? I'm just too nervous to do it on my own without visuals lol

vagabond007

Aug 27, 2014
/Android/data
Is there a video of how to root doing this from start to finish? I'm just too nervous to do it on my own without visuals lol

Towelroot is super easy to use, its a one click method.
You can find a full guide for the S3 here
Pretty simple to do though,
  1. Download the TowelRoot apps from http://towelroot.com.
  2. Enable Unknown sources on your phones, normally this option located on Settings > Security.
  3. Install the downloaded app (tr.apk).
  4. Now run the app, just tap the “make it ra1n” button to start rooting.
  5. Let the app perform the root job, wait for about 15 seconds and your phone will restart automatically.
  6. As soon as the phone is turned on, update SuperSU to v1.99r4 or newer.

Last edited:

wuyiL

Sep 22, 2014
Towelroot is super easy to use, its a one click method.
Pretty simple to do though,
  1. Download the TowelRoot apps.
  2. Enable Unknown sources on your phones, normally this option located on Settings > Security.
  3. Install the downloaded app (tr.apk).
  4. Now run the app, just tap the “make it ra1n” button to start rooting.
  5. Let the app perform the root job, wait for about 15 seconds and your phone will restart automatically.
  6. As soon as the phone is turned on, update SuperSU to v1.99r4 or newer.

In my case, TowelRoot didn't work due to Samsung Knox secure boot locks the recovery rom. You can't either go to recovery mode at all or read your phone internal storage/external SD storage from TWRP. I flashed CF-Auto-Root-d2spr-d2spr-sphl710.tar.md5 and it would get SuperSU installed to your phone. The SuperSu stopped working when disabling Knox.
Alternatively, I tried to downgrade to the 4.04 or 4.1.2 stock rom by Odin, but failed. So far, I don't have any way to root my phone and install CM11. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

Feb 3, 2013
Los Osos
In my case, TowelRoot didn't work due to Samsung Knox secure boot locks the recovery rom. You can't either go to recovery mode at all or read your phone internal storage/external SD storage from TWRP. I flashed CF-Auto-Root-d2spr-d2spr-sphl710.tar.md5 and it would get SuperSU installed to your phone. The SuperSu stopped working when disabling Knox.
Alternatively, I tried to downgrade to the 4.04 or 4.1.2 stock rom by Odin, but failed. So far, I don't have any way to root my phone and install CM11. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

that's why you go with the first option i gave.....

Reactions: wuyiL and g_money

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here here. And, you'll learn how to use Odin and philz. Very very valuable (imo) ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone