[Q] Stuck at "phone ! computer" - did I brick it?

Search This thread

andeeroid

Jul 24, 2010
please keep us updated as to what happens. I had the same problem with my first Vibrant but I had borked it with Voodoo. Even though I COULD get into download mode, ODIN would never work to fix it, even with repartition checked. It would just say "DO NOT UNPLUG TARGET!" and stayed there for hours. For this reason I am VERY leary of using ODIN again. Luckily, my local T-mo was nice enough to replace the phone for me, no questions asked.

I really want to find a ROM or something I can flash with clockwork to get me back on the JFD baseband because I have a stock kernel and a nandroid that is stock with root, then I can just use the 1-click unroot and do the OTA and not have to use ODIN. At least that's my theory ;)

Odin was probably fixing it just very slowly. ( this happens when you use wrong driver for Vibrant 64bit instead of 32bit or vice versa as far as I'm concerned)

when you bricked with Phone ! Computer How long did you wait while Odin was in action? I saw someone said like several hours took in order to flash Vibrant because he didn't use the correct driver.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7238660&postcount=1

Here is the link for the driver.

And if you do not know whether your computer is 32 bit or 64 bit? just google this "32 or 64 bit windows" most importantly go UNinstall any samsung drivers before you install new drivers under control panel.

I don't know about other guys but I successfully got into download mode SEVERAL TIMES by doing this

1) Remove battery, Sim, and Memory card

2)I didn't even have Odin open (if doesn't work try with Odin open)

3) Plug in USB first

4) Press down Volume UP and DOWN (not power)

5) Put the Battery back in (still no power button)

6) BAM DOWNLOAD MODE

Hope this helps

Last edited:

namansell

Aug 12, 2010
So i was able to get into download mode with odin up but my issue hits with odin it sticks at
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> cache.rfs

Been waiting 15 minutes without it moving : /

Trying to flash back to stock,

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/004> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> cache.rfs

Still getting stuck at cache // blue progress bar on my phone is not moving :(

OK GOD DOESN'T HATE ME
Followed advice to try diff USB ports and COM5 worked :) Thanks for all the advice in here

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2010
Brew-town
So i was able to get into download mode with odin up but my issue hits with odin it sticks at
<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> cache.rfs

Been waiting 15 minutes without it moving : /

Trying to flash back to stock,

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/004> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> cache.rfs

Still getting stuck at cache // blue progress bar on my phone is not moving :(

OK GOD DOESN'T HATE ME
Followed advice to try diff USB ports and COM5 worked :) Thanks for all the advice in here

Same here. Stuck at the phone-!-computer screen, but I have no trouble getting into download mode via turning phone off, plugging into computer, holding volume keys and power, release power. Keeps freezing at cache.rfs. Tried 3 different COM ports. I have used ODIN to flash back to stock once before.

Phone is rooted and speed fixed via RyanZA's market app.

Any ideas?

southplatte

Sep 30, 2010
droid365.com
Personally i don't believe the hardware locked issue, i got mine in late August, has the same manufacturing date as many others who claim to be locked, and I have never had an issue getting into recovery or dl mode. There is a ton of information out there on this, seek and ye shall find, just be ready to do a ton of reading, take your time and don't get frustrated. Its OK to walk away and take a break, do something else for a bit and recharge your mental.

Personally I do believe the hardware lock issue. I had two vibrants, one could not get into dlm at all, no matter the method, no matter how many tries, no matter how long I held the buttons, no matter on battery pull or not, Odin open or not, no matter on when usb plugged or not. Nothing. nearly 3 days into this issue on this phone, no go with any of the easily found methods and here and multiple other forums.

The other vibrant I have? Hold vol-/+ plug usb = instant dlm. The first also would not do recovery mode either..the second? hold vol-/+ power, on samsung logo screen release power = instant recovery mode.

So yes, the issue does exist in a crappy factory boot loader, and yes there is a fix for it. Only thing the fix does not work if you cannot get into dlm and are stuck at the phone-!-pc screen as far as I know.

As for the date on the box. Who knows. The factory probably has multiple production lines running (as most do if one knows anything about manufacturing), or multiple shifts of production. That being said you theoretically buy two Vibrants with the same date and could have one good and one hw locked depending upon the production line or shift that did that portion of the day's run.

ipeench

Jun 29, 2010
Chicago
i would like to thank everyone in here, i was getting confused and this all helped me figure it out.

thank you all

Last edited:

bobsoe

Aug 10, 2010
I messed up and got impatient with odin.

Now, I'm at the dreaded phone! comp screen

I have tried everything in vain. I only got to DL mode with that ADB script: as all other attempts to enter dl mode failed.

I have tried the vol + and - no go
I've tried the vol + and - with power and wait until the vibrant screen pops up. I just get a repeating blinking phone to comp icon.:confused:

I had root and I removed the one click lag fix v2-3 yesterday.

Any ideas? or is a trip to tmo in my future?

southplatte

Sep 30, 2010
droid365.com
I messed up and got impatient with odin.

Now, I'm at the dreaded phone! comp screen

I have tried everything in vain. I only got to DL mode with that ADB script: as all other attempts to enter dl mode failed.

I have tried the vol + and - no go
I've tried the vol + and - with power and wait until the vibrant screen pops up. I just get a repeating blinking phone to comp icon.:confused:

I had root and I removed the one click lag fix v2-3 yesterday.

Any ideas? or is a trip to tmo in my future?

Common theme I've found on getting to DL mode from the forums and one that works on my other vibrant is to

1. power phone off
2. disconnect usb from phone
3. hold vol+ and vol-
4. plug usb to phone

there are several other methods people mention working that I could never get to work properly...some of them I am sure are junk to begin with and others very well may work so search around and try any/all combos.

If all to no avail, then yup trip to tmo. FYI my local store said they had zero "warranty" stock for replacement and had yet to ever receive any warranty stock, so I had to call to get one shipped.

trunkstar1

Aug 20, 2010
It may or may not help, but I was stuck at the dreaded phone! comp screen for a bit and finally got to download mode by:

removing battery from my phone
restarting my laptop
plugging USB into the laptop
inserting battery into my phone
holding volume up and volume down at the same time
plugging USB into the phone (while holding the volume rocker down of course)

Here's another method someone gave me. I never had to try it because the steps above worked, but:

"you need to hold down the up/down volume and the power button. The yellow triangle image will go dark and come back. You need to wait till after it goes dark twice then when the image shows up for the third time release the volume side. wait about 5 seconds and release the power. Should jump you back into download so make sure your odin is up and ready"

Hope that helps.

c0wb0ycliche

no matter what i do, nothing. i feel like there must be some way to get around the phone ! comp screen on hardware locked phones, what does samsung do when they get them to fix, just toss them in the garbage? lol

as i have already had 3 exchanges (first vibrant touch screen stopped working, second one (that they sent me) had burn in of what looked like the battery full notification on the screen, and the most recent one (that i got in store) is the one i bricked trying to update) i am actually waiting back on a tmo voice ticket to see if they'll exchange it for a g2 since i just don't even want another samsung.

in the mean time i'm using a nokia e73 loaner phone lol it's pretty bad i want to cry

southplatte

Sep 30, 2010
droid365.com
no matter what i do, nothing. i feel like there must be some way to get around the phone ! comp screen on hardware locked phones, what does samsung do when they get them to fix, just toss them in the garbage? lol

Who knows....maybe they have a low-level way to flash. My bet is they pop a new board in and send it out as a 'refurb' and that's what the warranty replacements consist of.

tonie972

Nov 13, 2009
damn, add me to the list. i can't get it to work!

Edit: Got it to work with both volumes and power. I tried that many times but couldn't get it to work. After I did the ADB Reboot Download still wouldn't work so I tried the volumes and power and it worked!

Last edited:

kaiser_tytnii

Nov 15, 2007
Toronto
Try this, it is slightly different from what the guy earlier said..

1.) Take off your back cover, remove your sim & mirco sd card.
2.) Remove your battery.

Make sure you have Odin OPEN with admin privileges!
Make sure you have the USB plugged into your PC but NOT your phone!

3.) Hold the volume buttons.
4.) Put the battery in.
5.) Put the USB in.

Continue holding the volume keys & you should pop into DOWNLOAD mode within a few seconds :)

It worked for me when I did this.

Ps.. Put this in the Q&A section next time :)

this works, thank you!

chikin

Nov 19, 2007

as i have already had 3 exchanges (first vibrant touch screen stopped working, second one (that they sent me) had burn in of what looked like the battery full notification on the screen, and the most recent one (that i got in store) is the one i bricked trying to update) i am actually waiting back on a tmo voice ticket to see if they'll exchange it for a g2 since i just don't even want another samsung.

in the mean time i'm using a nokia e73 loaner phone lol it's pretty bad i want to cry

you CAN make a jig to go into recovery mode, but you would have to have some soldering experience.

I do this and it sends me straight to samsung stock recovery mode?

if you are referring to the post by master, then nope. it sends you to the android download mode. it's the one with the big triangle and the robot cleaning the doodoo on the floor :).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You are not bricked. Follow these steps EXACTLY:

1. remove battery, sim and sd
    2. Open Odin
    3. Connect usb to phone
    4. Hold down both volume keys and power
    5. but battery back in
    6. once the screen blinks, let go of the power button
    7. keep holding both volume keys until the downloading screen starts
    8. Flash back to stock. I always go back to stock after something like this just to make sure that nothing got corrupted. Also check the re-partition option.
    9. Point and laugh at your phone with an evil henchman kind of laugh. The bastard didn't defeat you yet!!!
    Try this, it is slightly different from what the guy earlier said..

1.) Take off your back cover, remove your sim & mirco sd card.
    2.) Remove your battery.

Make sure you have Odin OPEN with admin privileges!
    Make sure you have the USB plugged into your PC but NOT your phone!

3.) Hold the volume buttons.
    4.) Put the battery in.
    5.) Put the USB in.

Continue holding the volume keys & you should pop into DOWNLOAD mode within a few seconds :)

It worked for me when I did this.

Ps.. Put this in the Q&A section next time :)